Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

MisterBibs posted:

Not a General Movie Question as much of a General Movie Forum Question:

Is it kosher to 'necro' one of the Movie Of The Month threads? I watched Little Shop of Horrors the other day, which was the September MOTM, but I'd feel silly if it was an unwritten rule of Don't Bring Up The Old Movie Of The Month threads...

Absolutely fine. Go ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I find Matthew Modine's narration in Full Metal Jacket to be very rigid and "off", almost like he's reading the words for the first time as he speaks them. Being that Kubrick has such attention to detail, I figure there must be a reason why the narration is presented this way. Is it just me who finds the narration odd? Is there any explanation for why it's done that way?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Sand Monster posted:

I find Matthew Modine's narration in Full Metal Jacket to be very rigid and "off", almost like he's reading the words for the first time as he speaks them. Being that Kubrick has such attention to detail, I figure there must be a reason why the narration is presented this way. Is it just me who finds the narration odd? Is there any explanation for why it's done that way?

Kubrick wasn't really big on his actors being overly emotionally demonstrative in his films. Modines' detached monotone contrasts nicely with the incredibly gory, hosed up stuff he's talking about.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Also, Matthew Modine's not a very good actor.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Also, Matthew Modine's not a very good actor.

He loving tanks in Short Cuts.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BeigeJacket posted:

Kubrick wasn't really big on his actors being overly emotionally demonstrative in his films. Modines' detached monotone contrasts nicely with the incredibly gory, hosed up stuff he's talking about.
And depersonalisation/dehumanisation is one of the film's major narrative arguments. The recruit training sequence that the film opens with goes out of its way to make the marines as interchangeable and indistinguishable as possible. The first images we see involve all the characters literally being made to look as much alike as possible, for example, and in the images at the end we see Joker---who we've been following throughout the film---literally fades into a crowd of his fellow marines.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SubG posted:

And depersonalisation/dehumanisation is one of the film's major narrative arguments. The recruit training sequence that the film opens with goes out of its way to make the marines as interchangeable and indistinguishable as possible. The first images we see involve all the characters literally being made to look as much alike as possible, for example, and in the images at the end we see Joker---who we've been following throughout the film---literally fades into a crowd of his fellow marines.

Which is such a crazy thing, because pretty much every other war movie does its best to make the audience know who is who. You can identify pretty much any soldier in a movie like Platoon at a glance, like giving Kevin Dillon a raccoon tail hanging from his helmet or the guys club.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

penismightier posted:

He loving tanks in Short Cuts.

YES MARIAN WE'RE JUST TALKING

He's not that bad but to be fair he's kind of overshadowed by Julianne Moore's vagina.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

YES MARIAN WE'RE JUST TALKING

He's not that bad but to be fair he's kind of overshadowed by Julianne Moore's vagina.

Which is not only super hot, but an incredibly brave piece of acting. gently caress Julianne Moore rules.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

penismightier posted:

Which is not only super hot, but an incredibly brave piece of acting. gently caress Julianne Moore rules.

I love her. I really need to see more of her, she's excellent in Boogie Nights/The Big Lebowski/Safe especially.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

penismightier posted:

If taking your clothes off equates to brave acting, does this mean Playboy's Hot Co-eds are the bravest actors of all?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criminal Minded posted:

I really need to see more of her

Haven't you seen enough of her already? What are you hoping for, spleen?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's sad that you all talked about Matt Modine's acting and didn't mention Pacific Heights.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

cheerfullydrab posted:

It's sad that you all talked about Matt Modine's acting and didn't mention Pacific Heights.

I forgot he was in that movie. He's kind of a forgettable dude.

Good movie, though, Michael Keaton and Melanie Griffith are both great in it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

Haven't you seen enough of her already? What are you hoping for, spleen?

Daddy wants pancreas.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Parachute posted:

Daddy wants pancreas.

"I've often thought we should have beauty contests for the inside of our bodies."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Here's a fun question: who's the worse actor, Modine or D'Onofrio?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

D'Onofrio was great in Men in Black. "Sugar... in water"

Parachute
May 18, 2003

After watching too much L&O: Criminal Intent in the past year, I'd have to say without a doubt D'Onofrio. There's just something about his speaking patterns and mannerisms that really bug me, but I've never been able to put my finger on it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

D'Onofrio equates accents, weight gain, and body piercings to acting.

Modine was the captain of the Memphis Belle, piloting the greatest crew of 80s "oh yeah, he was in that too" actors to ever fly a B-17.

D'Onofrio is therefor the worst actor. He would have been a waist gunner in Modine's acting vessel, standing right next to Courtney Gains.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I am thinking specifically of Criminal Intent. Sometimes I watch him on that show and have no idea what he's trying to do with that character. Sometimes it seems like a twitchy Nic Cage thing but other times it seems like he's trying to be Dexter, or something?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I am thinking specifically of Criminal Intent. Sometimes I watch him on that show and have no idea what he's trying to do with that character. Sometimes it seems like a twitchy Nic Cage thing but other times it seems like he's trying to be Dexter, or something?

The character's supposed to have an ASD, probably Asperger's if I recall.

Granted, I'm an Aspie and I hope I'm not that twitchy.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Dude seriously did rule in Men in Black, though.

"I put mah hands... on mah head."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Here's a movie question. When I was trying to think of a role Vincent D'Onofrio played very well, the first one that popped into my head was actually a character played by Tom Sizemore. Which character and what movie was I thinking of?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
D'Onofrio does a decent Orson Welles impersonation, at least.

Edit: Well, him and Maurice LaMarche.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 19, 2011

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

morestuff posted:

Edit: Well, him and Mauriche LaMarche.

Watch 5 Minutes Mr. Welles to see him do it without the dubbed voice. It is far less impressive.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

SubG posted:

This makes some sense to me and I suppose could explain it, but Joker's narration is... I don't know the proper term for it, but it seems like it is taking place in conjunction with what the audience is seeing on screen, and isn't reflecting back on events that took place in the past. His character really doesn't seem all that depersonalized or dehumanized for the majority of the film, and the narration is consistent throughout, both before and after Parris Island and before and after the Vietnam sequences. He really hasn't "seen anything" in country until that scene with the mass grave and the brief encounter where the base is attacked.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Is he actually doing that impression? Because I've always thought he did the physical performance and someone else ADR'ed the lines.

And yeah he is hilarious in MIB.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Is he actually doing that impression? Because I've always thought he did the physical performance and someone else ADR'ed the lines.

And yeah he is hilarious in MIB.

Corrected myself a little - Maurice LaMarche was doing the voice. The guy basically made a living doing Welles, so that makes sense.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
He can do an Orson impression without Maurice LaMarche, it's just not as perfect.

Edit: Oh gently caress, beaten to it already. Instead I'll agree that MIB is his best role.

"OHHHHHHYOU IDIOTS!"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Corrected myself a little - Maurice LaMarche was doing the voice. The guy basically made a living doing Welles, so that makes sense.

Ah okay. There's something really off about that scene and that's definitely what it is.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

D'Onofrio was fantastic in The Salton Sea.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I enjoyed him in that and also he gets an instant lifetime pass from me simply for even doing a voice on the TV show Xavier: Renegade Angel. His episode had him as a weather scientist who learned how to control the weather and by control the weather I mean he made small tornadoes which he then enslaved. Complete with plantation, lynching tree and him making one of the slave tornadoes pregnant.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

morestuff posted:

I raise you him on the Critic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i7ycxiog40

Oh they're even better when you're dead!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Sand Monster posted:

This makes some sense to me and I suppose could explain it, but Joker's narration is... I don't know the proper term for it, but it seems like it is taking place in conjunction with what the audience is seeing on screen, and isn't reflecting back on events that took place in the past. His character really doesn't seem all that depersonalized or dehumanized for the majority of the film, and the narration is consistent throughout, both before and after Parris Island and before and after the Vietnam sequences. He really hasn't "seen anything" in country until that scene with the mass grave and the brief encounter where the base is attacked.
I don't know what kind of direction he got from Kubrick, but he sounds like a kid in elementary school giving a book report. I think this is intentional; the fact that the marines are essentially kids who are away from home for the first time is a point that's made, directly or indirectly, multiple times. One marine is literally killed for playing with toys (when he picks up a boobytrapped toy), and in the closing sequence, for example, when Joker is becoming just another indistinguishable guy in a uniform, all the marching marines are singing the Mickey Mouse Club theme.

That's kinda central to the main argument of the film---we're seeing a bunch of guys who are little more than kids stripped of their individuality, trained to fight---to want to fight---and then dumped into a giant shitstorm. Joker is supposed to be the stereotypical all-American boy who gets put through this process. He's not aware of what's going on---he eventually becomes explicitly complicit in it, buying into the idea that he's a killer, at which point he says he's no longer afraid and simultaneously becomes literally indistinguishable from all the other marines---so when he's telling the audience about his experiences, they sound like a `what I did this summer' story that's been recited many times before.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

That's a great observation which I've never heard before. FMJ is shockingly under-analysized.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

penismightier posted:

That's a great observation which I've never heard before. FMJ is shockingly under-analysized.

The guy who wrote this http://www.collativelearning.com/FMJ%20contents.html also did a 6 or 7 part video analysis that has since disappeared, probably from a cease and desist no doubt, that was really in depth and interesting.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Nutsngum posted:

The guy who wrote this http://www.collativelearning.com/FMJ%20contents.html also did a 6 or 7 part video analysis that has since disappeared, probably from a cease and desist no doubt, that was really in depth and interesting.

Yeah, I've seen that and it's great - and it's also what made me realize how little there is on the subject.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
That's also directly in line with the book, where a big portion of the narrative follows their training and brainwashing from naive high school aged kids into naive marines. They leave boot camp feeling like ten foot tall killers 'ready to eat their own guts and ask for seconds', only to arrive in Viet Nam and realize that the line they've been fed was utter bullshit. They're then picked off and killed one by one by a faceless killer who turns out to be a girl even younger than they are, who is also a victim of propaganda.

One thing that doesn't get pointed out often is that the marines make a huge show out of being hardcore killers, even if they aren't yet, as a coping mechanism. The entire argument over who had been in The poo poo could be easily compared to high school kids in the locker room bragging about who had gotten to third base with a girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Speaking of Short Cuts, I was wondering, are we supposed to believe that Bill and especially the girl who was walking with him decided to cover up seeing Jerry commit murder since the news report at the end said the one fatality was from falling rocks? Maybe I missed something, but I have a hard time seeing that happen.