Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Not an Anthem posted:

It was the 1.2.

Oh. Ok, makes sense now. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
So I've been wanting to get some speakers to use with my TT for a while, and while visiting my grandmom the other day, she pointed out a pair of Magneplanar SMGa speakers that my uncle recommended she buy in the early 90s which have never really been used. She seemed to indicate that I could have them, but I didn't have time to research them before I left. I looked them up this morning, and it looks like they go for around $300+ used these days. I don't know if they'd need to have any work done from not being used much, though. People seem to think that they're pretty nice speakers for the price. Anyone else have experience with them? They look pretty sweet.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

So I've been wanting to get some speakers to use with my TT for a while, and while visiting my grandmom the other day, she pointed out a pair of Magneplanar SMGa speakers that my uncle recommended she buy in the early 90s which have never really been used. She seemed to indicate that I could have them, but I didn't have time to research them before I left. I looked them up this morning, and it looks like they go for around $300+ used these days. I don't know if they'd need to have any work done from not being used much, though. People seem to think that they're pretty nice speakers for the price. Anyone else have experience with them? They look pretty sweet.

Maggies sound good if you have a large room to put them in. They sound their best when sitting 6 feet away from any wall. It's no wonder your grandma never used them. That said, they'd be worth grabbing and experimenting with.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Ghumbs posted:

Maggies sound good if you have a large room to put them in. They sound their best when sitting 6 feet away from any wall. It's no wonder your grandma never used them. That said, they'd be worth grabbing and experimenting with.

My room isn't all that big, so placing them 6 feet from a wall wouldn't really give me a whole lot of space to sit farther away from them. I doubt I'd know any difference since I wouldn't have any other point of reference with respect to how they should sound. They're probably much better than anything I'd spend money on, so I'd probably be stupid not to take them since I could have them for free.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Someone called and is selling a Linn LP12 for 500, mid 80's model with no suspension but included is a new suspension package, no arm but everything else. Thoughts? I need 45.. I should just get a 1200.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Not an Anthem posted:

Someone called and is selling a Linn LP12 for 500, mid 80's model with no suspension but included is a new suspension package, no arm but everything else. Thoughts? I need 45.. I should just get a 1200.

How much are you looking to spend on a tonearm?

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

afen posted:

Dynaudio DM 2/8

I'm looking for a Luxman 5T10 or 5T50 tuner, but they're impossible to find

How do you like the dynaudios?

Where do you people live that you find good stuff at GoodWill? The most interesting thing ive ever seen at the one by me was a guy arguing over the price of a single caster wheel for a desk chair.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
High crime areas.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
LP12s are nice and have several aftermarket upgrades for them. Not cheap though. A new LP12 is what $2500?

Speaking of stuff made in the UK, I just got the Graham Slee Reflex M in today. It is one smooth, clean, clear, detailed and revealing phono preamp. This is how vinyl should sound. It takes 5 weeks to settle in and sound it's best but right out of the box it was obviously better than the Genera I've been using.

Edit: I'm in love with my record collection all over again. I've been playing records for hours trying this thing out. It's simply fantastic.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 20, 2011

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

aricoarena posted:

How do you like the dynaudios?

They're great! Crisp, clear treble, and a lot of bass for such a small speaker! When I tested them in the store, I thought there was a subwoofer connected. I think the DM 2/8's are being discontinued, so maybe you can find them on the cheap. The store I was at sold me their last pair.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

afen posted:

They're great! Crisp, clear treble, and a lot of bass for such a small speaker! When I tested them in the store, I thought there was a subwoofer connected. I think the DM 2/8's are being discontinued, so maybe you can find them on the cheap. The store I was at sold me their last pair.

A friend of mine has a pair of Dynaudios (don't remember the model) and he says they need a pretty powerful amp to sound any good and don't work all that well at low volume anyway - is that true in your opinion?

(I wish the store he bought them from still had -15% all prices for students because then I'd hire a student to go buy me stuff.)

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

aricoarena posted:

Where do you people live that you find good stuff at GoodWill? The most interesting thing ive ever seen at the one by me was a guy arguing over the price of a single caster wheel for a desk chair.

You basically get there when they open, or you end up becoming friends with someone that works at one, and you see all sorts of crazy poo poo. Sometimes it's luck.

Ron Burgundy posted:

High crime areas.

Actually in most towns you find the good stuff at pawn shops in the high crime areas (that's where I usually find good recording gear), and the Goodwills only have good stuff in the ritzier parts of town. I should do a thread on thrifting/pawnshopping and some of the crazy poo poo I've found (a pair of Klipsch Heresy's for $20, a pair of Speakerlab 7's for $70, etc.). It's even gotten to the point where I have a couple buddies that are professional craigslisters and locker buyers that know I dig vintage audio, and call me up whenever they find something I'll like.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 20, 2011

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Ron Burgundy posted:

High crime areas.

I dont think I can much worse than Baltimore unless I move to Detroit.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Ghumbs posted:

How much are you looking to spend on a tonearm?

The thing is I'd have to buy a power supply that can do 33/45 which is like 2-300 then a tonearm which will probably be another 2-400 and that's well above anything I need or care about. Its a deal for a LP12 but I don't think I'm the guy who needs an LP12. I should just buy a 1200mk2 because I'm a punk record hermit.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Not an Anthem posted:

The thing is I'd have to buy a power supply that can do 33/45 which is like 2-300 then a tonearm which will probably be another 2-400 and that's well above anything I need or care about. Its a deal for a LP12 but I don't think I'm the guy who needs an LP12. I should just buy a 1200mk2 because I'm a punk record hermit.

I still feel that turntables that can't at least do 33/45 right out of the box are essentially feature crippled.

Puddles
Nov 25, 2005
HAI ^^
Hey guys just a quick question and I am very clueless about this sort of thing

But yesterday my mother bought a turntable, receiver and some speakers for my dad as a christmas gift.

I set them up today and the turntable doesn't seem to work with the reciever.

My mother bought this receiver and this turntable

Is there something I'm missing, do I need anohter part, should I get her a different receiver?

(The receiver works, and the cd player we got with it works fine as well, all the speakers are working properly too. It's just the Turntable...)

Thanks

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Turntables output a very weak signal, they can only be plugged into an amp input specially designed for it. The input is usually called 'Phono' or sometimes 'RIAA'. If your amplifier doesn't have an input like this you will need a seperate phono pre-amp. They are fairly cheap.

e: A quick google suggests the unit you have does not have a phono pre-amp, Amazon has plenty. You don't need to spend a lot on it. A $20-30 one will do fine.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 20, 2011

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Ron Burgundy posted:

I still feel that turntables that can't at least do 33/45 right out of the box are essentially feature crippled.

I also think having to switch the belt from one step to the next just to play a 45 is the biggest pile of poo poo ever. There's DIY turntables where you hit a button and it flashes the motor with the right wave through audio waveforms or some poo poo, a dude did it on a 50$ budget with motorcycle parts.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Expensive record players have less features than cheap ones because Audiophiles want to be able to buy all that poo poo separately since that means the system is UPGRADEABLE. (And no, I'm not trying to be funny or anything, this is the actual reason.)

For example, Rega turntables are some of the most popular ones out there and everyone knows they can't even hold the right speed. But hey, let's slap on a 200 dollar sub-platter UPGRADE and it's definitely going to be almost good enough!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Jerry Cotton posted:

A friend of mine has a pair of Dynaudios (don't remember the model) and he says they need a pretty powerful amp to sound any good and don't work all that well at low volume anyway - is that true in your opinion?

(I wish the store he bought them from still had -15% all prices for students because then I'd hire a student to go buy me stuff.)

They do like their power, but I haven't had any problems with my Luxman. I used a Rotel RB-1572 before with 2x500W in Class D, and I think the Luxman sounds better. The Luxman is rated at 2x80W in 8ohms, probably a bit more in 4ohms.

I think the speakers work great at all volumes. I think these are supposed to be passive studio monitors, so maybe they're designed differently than your buddies speakers.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Puddles posted:

Hey guys just a quick question and I am very clueless about this sort of thing

But yesterday my mother bought a turntable, receiver and some speakers for my dad as a christmas gift.

I set them up today and the turntable doesn't seem to work with the reciever.

My mother bought this receiver and this turntable

Is there something I'm missing, do I need anohter part, should I get her a different receiver?

(The receiver works, and the cd player we got with it works fine as well, all the speakers are working properly too. It's just the Turntable...)

Thanks

What Ron said, that amp does not have a phono imput so its not boosting the singal. Get a phono pre amp. With that turntable its not worth spending big bucks on but just dont get the cheapest one at radio shack.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

My room isn't all that big, so placing them 6 feet from a wall wouldn't really give me a whole lot of space to sit farther away from them. I doubt I'd know any difference since I wouldn't have any other point of reference with respect to how they should sound. They're probably much better than anything I'd spend money on, so I'd probably be stupid not to take them since I could have them for free.

My uncle has a pair of these sitting against a wall (well, not against, but a foot or less away) in a not big room, and I think they sound great.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 20, 2011

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

aricoarena posted:

What Ron said, that amp does not have a phono imput so its not boosting the singal. Get a phono pre amp. With that turntable its not worth spending big bucks on but just dont get the cheapest one at radio shack.

That turntable has a built-in switchable pre-amp though. Just make sure it's turned on (switched to LINE level output instead of PHONO).

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 20, 2011

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?

Jerry Cotton posted:

For example, Rega turntables are some of the most popular ones out there and everyone knows they can't even hold the right speed. But hey, let's slap on a 200 dollar sub-platter UPGRADE and it's definitely going to be almost good enough!

I recently tested my Rega P5 with and without the newly purchased upgrade power supply. I have a test record with a 300Hz signal and a frequency counter to monitor the output. It read right at 300Hz +/- 2Hz either with or without the upgrade power supply connected.

An upgraded subplatter might not help as much as a heavy machined acrylic platter. That does add enough mass to help keep the speed more stable by flywheel effect. Groovetracer makes one of the heaviest available. It was quite an improvement over the slightly out of round glass platter that it came stock with.

Edit: With the new platter. I put the old platter somewhere ages ago. It also has an upgraded subplatter and bearing as well.

Now that I've read a little about it, the variances in the subplatter and belt thickness can have an effect on speed stability. What you say about Rega turntables could very well be correct but then again it would apply to most turntables up to a certain price point.

What I've spent on this P5 and the upgrades for it, I could have bought a VPI Scout. One of those right out of the box would be a killer rig.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 21, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Paperweight posted:

I recently tested my Rega P5 with and without the newly purchased upgrade power supply. I have a test record with a 300Hz signal and a frequency counter to monitor the output. It read right at 300Hz +/- 2Hz either with or without the upgrade power supply connected.

An upgraded subplatter might not help as much as a heavy machined acrylic platter. That does add enough mass to help keep the speed more stable by flywheel effect. Groovetracer makes one of the heaviest available. It was quite an improvement over the slightly out of round glass platter that it came stock with.

Did you test the power supply thingie with the stock platter or the hard-core platter? Also, is +/- 2Hz good? I tried Googling for some sort of speed variance test featuring different kinds of turntables and found none (haven't had any coffee for ages and I'm feeling the effects, perhaps).

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

So I'll be heading home for about a week tomorrow and saw someone in my hometown selling a Pioneer PL-41 for $170. They also appear to be selling it on eBay, currently sitting at $155. The other two eBay auctions are for $350 and $550. I can't really find a whole lot of info on the PL-41 other than that it's apparently a pretty nice table. Some guy said he thought it's better than a Technics 1200, but who knows. Would it be worth jumping on at that price, or would I be better off holding out for something better that may or may not pop up around the DC area where I live currently?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Wrong thread derp.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Merry Christmas to me!

Marantz 2230, sounds amazing.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 24, 2011

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Goldmund posted:

Merry Christmas to me!

good call. I bought a 2250B a few months ago and love it to death.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I love the gyro touch tuning knobs on these.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Got a line on a MCS reciever. The guy says it's a 100w/ch, but can't remember the model #. I know they were JC Penny's house brand and usually built on contract by Technics, Panasonic(funny, since Technics was owned by Panasonic), JVC and NEC or NAD(can't remember). Said he bought in the late 70's and the only thing wrong with it is the input selector switch has some crackle and causes one channel to go in & out when you jiggle it. I won't get to talk to him until after Xmas shutdown.
I probably won't have much trouble getting the switch problem fixed, I'm just looking at finding out more info on the brand and models.
Anyone know any more about these?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Goldmund posted:

Merry Christmas to me!

Yay! If it hasn't been serviced in a while you'll probably want to recap it and replace the power button switch because it is a PITA to replace but I love my 2230 to death.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Just picked up an MCS 3235 35w/ch off craigslist. It was the guy's mothers and was kept in his basement after she died, the aluminum AUX button is missing(but the switch works) and needs cleaned desperately, along with the volume & tone controls, the 4 dial lights are all burned out, but that's not much problem to fix.
The good news is that both channels play and the headphone out drives my Beyer DT770-250 like a loving champ. Now the next step is to get some quality vintage speakers, I've got a line on some Jensen era Advent Heritage towers in great shape for $100.

edit
I bet this thing weighs at least 20 lbs.

edit part 2
Cleaned it inside and out, the pots and switches all got contact cleaner and oiled the tuner string pulleys. Lots of dust and dirt was removed. Now there's no scratchyness or cutting out at all and the tuner dial flywheels again. Moved the borked selector button to Phono 2 and may see about having one machined on the lathe at work. Now I need to get 4 lights to replace the burned out ones that are soldered in, no markings, so it's voltmeter time. I'm thinking about replacing them with sockets and replaceable lug mount bulbs, I guess that's going to depend on voltage and availability.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 31, 2011

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Oh no, a pair of KLH Model 17's followed me home today.
Shall I keep them?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was about to wonder if there was a specific reason why that element wasn't mounted straight but then I realized it makes fuckall difference because the actual element is round. I've been reading too much hifi magazines :(

VVVV Especially with that kind of fabric grill. It would go great with my stuff, though. Not that I'm on the lookout for new speakers since I recently bought a pair of low-end ORs for a whopping 8 €. I'm not investing in proper speakers until I can invest in proper speakers.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 2, 2012

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The Kloss era speakers always seemed way more about the sound than looks. Not that that's a bad thing, it keeps the prices low as a lot of people won't give them a second look in a thrift shop.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Retarded Pimp posted:

Oh no, a pair of KLH Model 17's

Prime candidate for an EconoWave upgrade conversion!

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=205379

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I like the way these sound, they've been recapped and the fabric surrounds look like they've been redoped for a good seal, so I don't think it's going to get anything like that unless I blow them.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Been having a couple problems with my Marantz 2240 recently. Before I take it in for repair, anyone know what could be wrong if:

1) The left side headphone channel doesn't work at all
2) The right channel when running over mains or headphones doesn't work until I run a very hot signal through (i.e. disable speakers, crank volume until headphones kick in, turn volume down, enable speakers). It may still drop out after that. I don't think it's the speaker relay because I've heard what a bad relay can do (it primarily maifests as repeated cut-ins/cut-outs). The receiver being warm doesn't seem to affect the dropouts.
3) Up until recently, it would take a very long time for the relay 'click' to engage after powering on the receiver.

I'm thinking for #2 that there's some bad capacitors somewhere but I'm not sure where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Let's try to eliminate possibilities.
Have you tried contact cleaner? On a unit this old, that's usually the first and easiest place to start. That gets the pots and switches out of the way.
Just don't use it on the relay, you don't want to mess up the winding's insulation. If you open that up, use some 2000 grit sandpaper on the contact areas and some paper or thin cloth afterward to remove any debris.

btw, those 2240's had an awesome looking interior.