Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The Swype Beta is open to everybody :confused:

http://beta.swype.com/android/create/

Huh, it says it doesn't work on my screen size (Galaxy Nexus).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Huh, it says it doesn't work on my screen size (Galaxy Nexus).

Swype knows and is working on a fix.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Wireless Tether is back, compatible with ICS and a rooted Galaxy Nexus (LTE).

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/18/wireless-tether-updated-now-works-with-rooted-galaxy-nexus-lte/

Edit: Well, except for me, apparently. Any ideas about this:

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 19, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Does anyone know of an app that will forward or send all calls directly to voicemail? I want my calls to be forwarded and Sprint charges for unconditional call forwarding, so I'm hoping an app can do this.

Edit: ^ I just tried the latest WiFi Tether and it worked fine on my LTE GN. Did you make sure you had WiFi turned off and set the device profile to Samsung Galaxy Nexus (4G_LTE)?

letsgoflyers81 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 19, 2011

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Does anyone know of an app that will forward or send all calls directly to voicemail? I want my calls to be forwarded and Sprint charges for unconditional call forwarding, so I'm hoping an app can do this.
Enable Google Voice integration and turn on Do Not Disturb. You can schedule it to expire, as well.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

goku chewbacca posted:

Enable Google Voice integration and turn on Do Not Disturb. You can schedule it to expire, as well.

I don't think that would work for what I want. If I turn on integration I'd lose having two distinct numbers.

My Sprint number is my primary number, and I just got a Verizon Galaxy Nexus from work. I want all of my calls and SMS to forward to that phone. I use Google Voice for voicemail and a secondary number, so I want all the forwarding to go to that. I found an app that will forward SMS, but obviously my Sprint phone needs to be on to receive and forward them. If I leave the Sprint phone on, it takes a while to ring, go to voicemail, then forward to GV and the Verizon phone.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Is there any Wikipedia app with a queue feature? After having an iPhone for years, I just got myself a Galaxy Nexus and the only thing I miss so far is the queue feature in Wikipanion. The few Wikipedia apps I tried didn't appear to have a queue feature, or at least I couldn't find it.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Edit: ^ I just tried the latest WiFi Tether and it worked fine on my LTE GN. Did you make sure you had WiFi turned off and set the device profile to Samsung Galaxy Nexus (4G_LTE)?

It likes that Woofi wifi manager app was causing the conflict.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

No Ticket posted:

This allowed me to install Google Wallet on my stock Verizon Nexus. I don't have a MasterCard but they did give me a free $10.

Worked for me as well, gonna use it to get myself some free beer. :cheers:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I like Swiftkey X, it is pretty much the stock keyboard with better word prediction.

For what it's worth I've been using Swiftkey since around June and I have noticed that it's a heck of a lot harder to type on the Neon themed skin than the stock white skin. Just a weird quirk.

murkdotdoc
Oct 26, 2005
Is it ok to post my own app? It's free and contains no ads but if not I'll use re-use this post to talk about..a different app.

Tap Location

I developed this app, it's basic but I'm pleased with the out come and would like to share/hear feedback on it if you'd like.

It does these things:
● One touch geo-location using your network-provider or GPS.
● Configure a preset message when sending the message to friends and family.
● Attach Latitude and Longitude coordinates to the message.
● Easily search through your contacts by scrolling or use active search in app.

I'm aware that gmaps has similar functionality but I wanted a stand alone app for this process. Plus there are a few coding bits that I want to re-use in later apps that I sorted out in this one.

Won't you try it out?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You're a braver man than I to spend 25 bucks to give something away.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

murkdotdoc posted:

Is it ok to post my own app? It's free and contains no ads but if not I'll use re-use this post to talk about..a different app.

Tap Location

I developed this app, it's basic but I'm pleased with the out come and would like to share/hear feedback on it if you'd like.

It does these things:
● One touch geo-location using your network-provider or GPS.
● Configure a preset message when sending the message to friends and family.
● Attach Latitude and Longitude coordinates to the message.
● Easily search through your contacts by scrolling or use active search in app.

I'm aware that gmaps has similar functionality but I wanted a stand alone app for this process. Plus there are a few coding bits that I want to re-use in later apps that I sorted out in this one.

Won't you try it out?

Looks interesting. I do like the thought of attaching latitude and longitude coordinates to a message easily. That's slick. I'm just curious about the country restrictions...

Android Market posted:

China Mobile Samsung Nexus S
This item cannot be installed in your device's country.

Since it's free, I'm just a little confused why it'd be blocked in China.

I mean, I can just use MarketEnabler, but still.

EDIT: I tried it, seems to work alright securing my location over wifi, but using GPS I waited for 3-5min and it still wouldn't update with my location. Also forces the US number format on all phone numbers in your phone book when looking them up with the app (not great)

SB35 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 19, 2011

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Aatrek posted:

Wireless Tether is back, compatible with ICS and a rooted Galaxy Nexus (LTE).

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/18/wireless-tether-updated-now-works-with-rooted-galaxy-nexus-lte/

Edit: Well, except for me, apparently. Any ideas about this:

Go into Superuser and clear any entries you may have made for the Wifi Tether app, then try to activate & deactivate tethering again.

Also, since this is bleeding-edge beta, you may have to fiddle with certain settings to keep it from erroring out. Example: A previous beta had a glitch where it would only work properly on the Droid Bionic if you enabled encryption.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Suggestions for a podcast app? One with a widget.

Listen sucks and has no widget. BeyondPod is a a mess. I don't listen to podcasts often enough to justify paying for Doggcatcher.

I am a picky bitch.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Pocket Casts. I love the poo poo out of that app.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I use A-Cast. There is a free version with ads, or a pay version that I can't remember how much I paid. It is very good, and very rarely gives me problems. No widget, though.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

SpacePig posted:

I use A-Cast. There is a free version with ads, or a pay version that I can't remember how much I paid. It is very good, and very rarely gives me problems. No widget, though.

ACast has four widgets. I just don't know what they do.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
As I know a lot of you are a little tinfoil hat about LBE Privacy, I recently stumbled upon an open source alternative called PDroid

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1357056

It's pretty good.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

ACast has four widgets. I just don't know what they do.

Huh. So it does. None of them are listed under ACast or anything, so I guess that's why I never noticed them. How about that?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

God I miss being able to pull down the notification bar and having instant access to dis/enable WiFi, GPS and the sort. Are there any apps mimicking this?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Sereri posted:

God I miss being able to pull down the notification bar and having instant access to dis/enable WiFi, GPS and the sort. Are there any apps mimicking this?

Widgetsoid has this feature, but it's pretty well-hidden. When you create a widget, go to the Advanced tab and tick "Notification" and "Invisible".

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Penguissimo posted:

Widgetsoid has this feature, but it's pretty well-hidden. When you create a widget, go to the Advanced tab and tick "Notification" and "Invisible".

Seconding Widgetsoid for this functionality. Music on ICS also seems to default to having lockscreen controls and notification controls. So good!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Penguissimo posted:

Thanks for the tip, with all the styling options I think it turn out decent

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Sereri posted:

Bitchin! Thanks.

dynodash
Jul 14, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah, I'm finally an ADW EX convert. Fede's abandonment of LP+ is disheartening and with ICS right around the corner this "re-write" of his is going to become moot anyway. ADWEX has the better feature set and Android Pro Widgets definitely picks up the widget slack. My only complaint about ADW EX is that it takes some tinkering to get set up the way you like it and the menu layout for its options seems...well, not good.

Am I hugely underestimating the ADW EX dock, or is it just not as feature-rich as LPP/Go Launcher EX? Namely I'm totally used to swiping my icons for a second app (tap = dialer, swipe = contacts etc.) and I'm loathe to give it up, but I want to give ADW EX a fair whirl.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

dynodash posted:

Am I hugely underestimating the ADW EX dock, or is it just not as feature-rich as LPP/Go Launcher EX? Namely I'm totally used to swiping my icons for a second app (tap = dialer, swipe = contacts etc.) and I'm loathe to give it up, but I want to give ADW EX a fair whirl.

You're not the only one, it's pretty poo poo but I'm trying to look past it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sereri posted:

Holy poo poo you can now interact with that directly on stock non-rooted ICS (on GB it showed the toggles but just launched a windows where you could change the settings)

Awesome stuff

Edit: Any idea if you can change the background colour of the notification? On my Nexus S its grey and doesn't look as nice as the screenshot and changing the actual widget to have a black background doesn't seem to affect it

dissss fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 20, 2011

Sir Bruce
Jul 8, 2004

Is there a way to remove all my downloaded apps while keeping my contacts intact? I got a new phone and it automatically loaded everything from my old one. Which is nice but I'd like a clean Apps slate. I tried using the factory reset but it still syncs with google to reload everything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When you first start setting up the phone, it asks if you want to load up all the apps or something that you had installed before. Look at all the settings while setting up. There's something there.

Sir Bruce
Jul 8, 2004

It asks if I want to load information from my Google account, which evidently includes both my Apps and my contacts. I just want the contacts.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sir Bruce posted:

It asks if I want to load information from my Google account, which evidently includes both my Apps and my contacts. I just want the contacts.

I think turning off 'Back up my data' under Privacy Settings will stop apps re-installing after a reset.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

dissss posted:

I think turning off 'Back up my data' under Privacy Settings will stop apps re-installing after a reset.

Right, after setting up go to accounts and sync, tap your account and check the contact box. That should work.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

dissss posted:

Holy poo poo you can now interact with that directly on stock non-rooted ICS (on GB it showed the toggles but just launched a windows where you could change the settings)

Awesome stuff

Edit: Any idea if you can change the background colour of the notification? On my Nexus S its grey and doesn't look as nice as the screenshot and changing the actual widget to have a black background doesn't seem to affect it

Choose the widget to edit, select Theme, and change Choose Background to None.

Sir Bruce
Jul 8, 2004

Urfdser posted:

Right, after setting up go to accounts and sync, tap your account and check the contact box. That should work.

That (plus not loading backups when I went through the set-up) appeared to do the trick. Thanks all!

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm looking for a few utility app recommendations. My criteria is that they be free and not look like rear end. The "not look like rear end" is the part I'm having the most trouble with.

I need a kitchen timer (multiple timers is nice but not necessary. Pause/resume is required), a stopwatch, and a notepad of some sort (not Evernote). Widgets are OK, too.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Thoom posted:

I need a kitchen timer (multiple timers is nice but not necessary. Pause/resume is required), a stopwatch

I've tried a few of these, now I'm using hybrid stopwatch. Someone may have a better suggestion.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.hybrid.stopwatch&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5oeWJyaWQuc3RvcHdhdGNoIl0.

Thoom posted:

notepad

I really like GTasks, comes with a widget.

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.dayup.gtask&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm9yZy5kYXl1cC5ndGFzayJd

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Thoom posted:

I'm looking for a few utility app recommendations. My criteria is that they be free and not look like rear end. The "not look like rear end" is the part I'm having the most trouble with.

I need a kitchen timer (multiple timers is nice but not necessary. Pause/resume is required), a stopwatch, and a notepad of some sort (not Evernote). Widgets are OK, too.

I've been pretty satisfied with Kitchen Timer, although I can't promise if you think it looks like rear end or not. I've been satisfied.

EDIT: Can anyone recommend a task program that allows people to give each other tasks, and works in both iPhone and Android? I'd like my wife to be able to send me reminders about stuff.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 20, 2011

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Can't you do a Google Calendar shared schedule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Thoom posted:

Stopwatch & Timer is as no-frills as it gets. It isn't as pretty as Hybrid Stopwatch, but it isn't ad-supported or $2, and it does both countdown timers and regular stopwatch functions with laps, etc.

• Locked thread