Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Niagalack posted:

Nice lighting between the leg!

Thank God someone else noticed that too. I was agonizing over how to bring that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
So I did another session with a girl I've posted here earlier.

Have a b&w one too:

More here (both sessions in the same set): http://www.flickr.com/photos/nebuchadnezzariii/sets/72157628008074176/with/6524207833/

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast

Auditore posted:

I'm partial to this one, the composition with that huge branch running through the middle is really nice.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Auditore posted:

So I did another session with a girl I've posted here earlier.

I like the one in the centre the most because the other two look like she's fake smiling. It's also the well posed/framed as well.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

doctor 7 posted:

I like the one in the centre the most because the other two look like she's fake smiling. It's also the well posed/framed as well.

She does have a tendency to make a fake smile look really obvious and almost like a grimace. I've tried the "think of ice cream" line someone else told me in this thread but I did forget to say it a few times. Note she's not actually a proper 'model' as such, just a friend. Looks like I made the correct decision to give her a large print of the middle photo out of those three.

I used my Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 (the new one), for this session and it does front-focus a little but when I get my 5D mark II that shouldn't be too much of a problem to fix.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast

Auditore posted:

She does have a tendency to make a fake smile look really obvious and almost like a grimace. I've tried the "think of ice cream" line someone else told me in this thread but I did forget to say it a few times. Note she's not actually a proper 'model' as such, just a friend. Looks like I made the correct decision to give her a large print of the middle photo out of those three.

I used my Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 (the new one), for this session and it does front-focus a little but when I get my 5D mark II that shouldn't be too much of a problem to fix.

You could try having her not smile, I saw the pictures where she wasn't doing it and they look find.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

I'm partial to this one, the composition with that huge branch running through the middle is really nice.

The only problem I have with this photo is that due to the sunlight, it looks like her boob is a flashlight or something. A most unfortunate placement if I do say so myself.

Katarena
Nov 13, 2011

RangerScum posted:

The only problem I have with this photo is that due to the sunlight, it looks like her boob is a flashlight or something. A most unfortunate placement if I do say so myself.

I can imagine a new Comic book hero coming on here... Flashboob? Flashtit?

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Here's something I've discovered about cloth backdrops.

They look like poo poo. All of them. The trick is to fix it or hide it.

Fixing it takes time.

The best way is to toss it in the dryer along with a very wet hand towel and run it till everything is nearly (but not entirely) dry. You get an effect akin to steaming, so once you hang it (while still slightly damp) the creases just fall out.

If you have more time, hang it and be prepared to wait hours. Once hung, spritz it with water on the back side (you don't want to leave stains on the photo-facing side) and you'll get nearly the same effect. You may have to spritz several times.

Hiding it is easier.

The easiest way is to put enough distance between your subject and background that the background is out of focus.

Secondly, you can just wad your background up instead of folding it. This gets you a webwork of completely random squiggles, and it works best on abstract backgrounds. Not so much on solid colors or any sort of 'scene'.

Lastly, creases (mostly) only show when light hits them at an angle. If you can blast your light straight at it, you'll 'flatten' all but the deepest creases. You can still use shaping portrait lighting on your subject if you light your background separately.

As for the portrait itself, I wish her face were lit a little better. If you didn't want to ruin the effect (which is nice), you could throw a really long snoot (a grid could probably work too) on a light, pointed at her face from the lower camera-right side. At a low enough power setting, it would light her face some more without seeming out of place.

Thank you for all of this. I'll try the dryer trick next time. I wish I could have moved her away from the back drop but the room was 12x12. I was against the back wall and was still struggling to get full length shots. Though I did do some head shots with her that seemed to work doing that! (You can still kind of see it though.)

An BW by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

McMadCow posted:

Thank God someone else noticed that too. I was agonizing over how to bring that up.

I swear it wasn't intentional, that's just how the lights fell in her lap. When I noticed it, I zoomed in specifically to make sure nothing was unintentionally...revealed. (really!) :)

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast

RangerScum posted:

I didn't notice it till you said, now glow boob is all I can see. Yeah he should have redirected some of the light to soften the shadows up and light all of her, or moved her into a more shadowy area.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

First time using my hand me down tripod. Didn't have to balance on counter tops or coffee tables or the back of the couch. I'm sure I could have made it more interesting, but I quite like it. Have I mentioned how much I love that 50mm I bought from a goon? Because I love my goon bought 50mm.

50/52 by thepaisleyfox, on Flickr

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

RangerScum posted:

I saw it beforehand. Mum kept mentioning it whenever she saw the shot.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast
Rather proud of this shot from a Christmas party, I was testing my settings.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Half his face is hidden in shadow. You desperately needed some fill flash. Any time your light source is directly overhead you'll get those deep shadows under the brow, in the eye sockets, and sometimes under the cheekbones if the person's face is angular enough.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

Rather proud of this shot

Please expand on why?

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast

Jiblet posted:

Please expand on why?

Mostly because of the personality captured on accident, I just told him to hold still for a second and snapped this and it came out like that and it's basically a pretty good representation of the person in the photo as far as personality.

As for the flash I try not to use it and most of the time at that party I was just metering light to make sure I was doing decently at it. I'm still learning and I treat all of this like a learning experience.

When I buy my off camera flash I think that I'll use it more.

chadxor
Jun 28, 2008
Had a chance to shoot in a studio with a makeup/hair girl and my light kit for the first time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48111742@N05/6539861569/in/set-72157628492885289/lightbox/

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

I love that chair.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
My friend wants me to do a portrait of his family. Only problem is, I've never done an actual session before so I don't really know what I should do. Are there any goon-recommended guides of dos and do not dos for a family portrait? In terms of gear, I have a tripod and 2 speedlites.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Turd Nelson posted:

My friend wants me to do a portrait of his family. Only problem is, I've never done an actual session before so I don't really know what I should do. Are there any goon-recommended guides of dos and do not dos for a family portrait? In terms of gear, I have a tripod and 2 speedlites.

I found The Speedliter's Handbook to be really useful in learning what lighting setups are best for certain situations. The book is jam packed with a ton of info: mutiple speedlite setups, gelling for colour corrections, what light looks best, etc. I play around a lot with my light when I use it because I'm still learning, but it definitely put me in the right ballpark. I don't recall if they have specific big group shot setups, but you should be able to get an idea of what to do from the rest of the information.

chadxor
Jun 28, 2008

MrOpus posted:

I love that chair.

Haha, thanks. I thought it fit the scene well. I also wasn't sure whether to call it a couch or a chair.

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

I got chance to shoot another friend. I did use Christmas lights again, as she saw the last shoot and liked them. I don't want to show you those photos, though. I want to show you these photos. SB600 speedlight through an umbrella, with some continuous fluorescent lights for fill as needed. Am I improving?

Ciara by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

MrOpus posted:

I got chance to shoot another friend. I did use Christmas lights again, as she saw the last shoot and liked them. I don't want to show you those photos, though. I want to show you these photos. SB600 speedlight through an umbrella, with some continuous fluorescent lights for fill as needed. Am I improving?

I think these are an improvement over the last ones you posted, although I would like to see some definition in the eyes on the first shot. It seems like her eyes are set in pretty far and in shadow. I like the direction you're going though.

The second shot turned out pretty well and really sharp. I know its just my taste by my eye gravitated towards the barbell in her ear and the tattoo on her arm. The background is leaps and bounds above the last time you posted.

Even in the third, the background is quite nice for what I'm assuming is either a shower curtain/bed sheet/curtain. The orange lighting throws me off a little bit because its mixed with what looks like daylight flash. Also, its a weird crop, I feel like if she is going to be looking over her shoulder, there should be more room behind her so that shes not looking down into the corner of the photo.

Overall I see improvement, nice work.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

chadxor posted:

Had a chance to shoot in a studio with a makeup/hair girl and my light kit for the first time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48111742@N05/6539861569/in/set-72157628492885289/lightbox/

Lovely pictures! Props. :)

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
Ok, so I have some more photos, which are kinda old.

So, I'm aware of the first 2 being a little OOF, and I think I should've kicked some more light into her face (I had a reflector there, but didn't think it needed adjusting at the time...). I'm also curious about the composition of the third. And the hair at the top of her head. I kinda think it's distracting, but I hesitate at cleaning up portraits too much so as to remove the naturalness of them. But I might do it.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

The hair is fine. The main things I see is that the light wrap is way too strong, it overpowers your edges in a non-intentionally bad way and washes out your colors. There's also some poo poo on the background of the 2nd you might want to clean up.

The last one, the composition is fine, but the horizon is tilted, making everything feel a little unsteady.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I also think the first two are too warm.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
How would you fix the horizon line? I have no idea how to overcome such a problem.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Niagalack posted:

How would you fix the horizon line? I have no idea how to overcome such a problem.

rotate the image until the horizon becomes straight :) Lightroom does it pretty efficiently.

As for some of my portraits in Korea:

IMG_4573 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_4930 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_4946 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_4965 by avoyer, on Flickr

xenilk fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 29, 2011

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
If you rotate the horizon it will rotate the subject so how can it make the photo better ?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Niagalack posted:

If you rotate the horizon it will rotate the subject so how can it make the photo better ?

It just looks cleaner/aesthetically pleasant plus in my humble opinion it doesn't screw up your picture even if the subject is a tad rotated as well.

Edit: Okay the horizon is still not perfect but you get what I'm saying, hopefully.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust
^^
beaten in possibly the lowest traffic forum on SA. For shame.

Niagalack posted:

Is there a reason you want your subject tilted? The only downside of rotating images is that it results in cropping parts of the image, but that's usually a price worth paying.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
Wow , I am amazed at how fast you guys replyed and even showed me the difference. You guys rocks!! I need to try it in LR now.

Niagalack fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 29, 2011

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Niagalack posted:

Wow , I am amazed at how fast you guys replyed and even showed me the difference. You guys rocks!! I need to try it in LR now.

It's surprisingly easy, you can even use the ruler tool to draw a line along the horizon to make it straight.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I'm all over the place with what I want to shoot lately. Have some black and whites: :)

IMG_2502 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_2507 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
I should probably post this in SAD but I want to post it here . This is a candid shot of my last son.

Adam by J-YG, on Flickr

Niagalack fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 30, 2011

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
Ah, yes, the first 2 are too warm. I thought I took care of that to look more pleasant in ACR, but probably not enough. (I processed them down from 6500 to 5500 just now, and they do look better, without losing her skin tone.)

I think the hard light wrap comes from the ill-positioned reflector. I had it more camera-right, and should've pulled it around the front more to more evenly balance the backlight from the window. Ugh.

Also, the canted angle crop is intentional on the 3rd. I still like my canted angle better than the even horizon line. I don't generally prefer canted angles, and I know the Dorkroom doesn't either (see: Terrible Photos thread w/ plenty of 45-deg canted angles) , but I think if it creates some interest and you have a line in your photo that parallels the dominant edge of the photo, it can work out (and I think my version closely parallels her back with the vertical edge). I also think she looks hunched over when the horizon is straight, where she would otherwise look stiff if I told her to straighten up, and the canted angle leaves her looking poised and relaxed/approachable at the same time. It may benefit from a closer crop, though I did want to leave plenty of space around the subject.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
I apologise in advance if this is an obnoxious amount of images - it's just I've not posted for a while because I've been busy mainly doing commissions and looking after my then pregnant, now not pregnant-due-to-the-whole-birth-bit-at-the-end wife and subsequently looking after the little lady herself. So I have a few pics for you. Also, I wanted to add a couple of shots from my "drier" shoots like Web Designer Magazine to show you it's not all glamour and girls.

Like: The eyes
Dislike: Don't know if there's enough going on in her expression. She looks kinda bored.

Like: Her eyes, her expression. She's my favourite model to work with, her stare is totally mesmerising, plus she's really funny, down to earth and fun to work with.
Dislike: I feel like my lighting isn't quite right - her chin sort of disappears into her neck a bit due to a lack of definition. Also, the way her top isn't symmetrical and shows bare shoulder on one side bothers the hell out of me.

Like: The hair and the outfit. Profile was the way to go to get all the shapes and lines out of this one.
Dislike: My slightly crappy retouch job. Should have had her eyes looking a touch higher than they are. Can't decide whether it makes her look a bit bored or not.

Like: I guess the composition is OK. I think her gaze is quite engaging. I can't remember what I liked about this one - it was a while ago.
Dislike: A bit boring? She was a pale, Eastern European girl but I think the pp might make her a bit too pale? Dunno. Too plasticky a retouch job? Stupid vignette?

OK, so some on-location mag stuff (this already feels like too many photos)

A couple for Web Designer Magazine, where I try to not terrify some very shy but very nice individuals who spend all day tucked away from the world making websites.

Like: Interesting background, composition is different for me, as I seem to have an aversion to landscape oriented images.
Dislike: He looks terrified (the least terrified of the series), stuff behind the head too distracting?

Like: Good ol' window lighting, was pleasantly surprised at how confident his expression turned out.

Dislike: I left the cactus in in purpose because I thought it was a little quirky and fun, but I'm starting to wonder whether it looks like a mistake and just distracts you from the image.

I shot Justin and Arne from Naughty Dog for GamesTM

Like: The background choice - the first level of UC3 is in London, so we went onto the streets of London.
Dislike: Not sure about the poses - directing people on the other side of the street is hard.

So there you go - all up to date and that. Oh and here is the little lady that is responsible for my absence and subsequent over-posting. Sorry if this is too many photos for one post.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Subjunctivitis posted:

Ah, yes, the first 2 are too warm. I thought I took care of that to look more pleasant in ACR, but probably not enough. (I processed them down from 6500 to 5500 just now, and they do look better, without losing her skin tone.)

I think the hard light wrap comes from the ill-positioned reflector. I had it more camera-right, and should've pulled it around the front more to more evenly balance the backlight from the window. Ugh.

Also, the canted angle crop is intentional on the 3rd. I still like my canted angle better than the even horizon line. I don't generally prefer canted angles, and I know the Dorkroom doesn't either (see: Terrible Photos thread w/ plenty of 45-deg canted angles) , but I think if it creates some interest and you have a line in your photo that parallels the dominant edge of the photo, it can work out (and I think my version closely parallels her back with the vertical edge). I also think she looks hunched over when the horizon is straight, where she would otherwise look stiff if I told her to straighten up, and the canted angle leaves her looking poised and relaxed/approachable at the same time. It may benefit from a closer crop, though I did want to leave plenty of space around the subject.

Well the thing is the reason why she looks hunched over when the photo is straight is because she is. I think that (very) occasionally the whole crazy angle can work, but in this case I just feel like everything is sliding over. It doesn't add anything except that it looks like everything is on an angle. This is, of course, just my personal opinion. If the angle is that important, perhaps you could move in closer and also edit the horizon so that it's all ocean, making the horizon unimportant altogether. It's just at such a prominent place in the photo, right at her head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Gazmachine posted:

I shot Justin and Arne from Naughty Dog for GamesTM

Like: The background choice - the first level of UC3 is in London, so we went onto the streets of London.
Dislike: Not sure about the poses - directing people on the other side of the street is hard.

Isn't Ramilles St. one of those ones with a ton of hooker walkups?

The cactus thing is fine!