Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Well in that case 8 minutes probably worked out to roughly 2 shots, provided he "saved" them chances are he now remembers why he quit playing all those years ago as he tries to set his broken bones in the change room. Those 10 year olds train much better and then toss in some composite sticks and they are shooting as hard as anything he ever faced in the past. Or he could have been training for that snoopy hockey tournament in California in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Space Cadet posted:

Sometimes old goalies are the best! Sometimes they are lazy asses that just want to get drunk and sit on the bench like my 50 year old backup that bitches he has to play 2 games a month because I have to work that evening.

Did your old guy have actual equipment or was he rocking his old gear still? My backup has a new butterfly set that just doesn't work with his "drop like you had a stroke" style.

The goalie on my summer league team last summer was, I think, over 60 and he was awesome, probably in the top 3 goalies in the league. Plus really fun to drink with.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Space Cadet posted:

Well in that case 8 minutes probably worked out to roughly 2 shots, provided he "saved" them chances are he now remembers why he quit playing all those years ago as he tries to set his broken bones in the change room. Those 10 year olds train much better and then toss in some composite sticks and they are shooting as hard as anything he ever faced in the past. Or he could have been training for that snoopy hockey tournament in California in a few weeks.

At that skate, he would have seen more than 2-shots in 8 minutes and if he's using a felt blocker, which would also have no sidewall, then I can only imagine the state of the rest of his gear. I have tremendous respect for the guys who played back in the day, but the difference between gear now and then make it a much safer position than it was in the past.

I've been on a bad slump the past three games. I've just felt stiff, my recoveries have been poo poo, and I have a weird issues with losing track of the puck when shooters come in close. Very frustrating, so I'm glad that both of my leagues are taking a winter break for the next two weeks, which should give me some time to get back on track. I need to get back to doing cardio and stretching, since I've fallen off track for the last week or two.

One thing that has been working for me lately has been my trapper. I've started throwing a tennis ball off of a wall and catching it for about 5-minutes before I play and it really seems to help me track pucks in the air much better. I'm still not making a ton of glove saves, but I caught 3 or 4 pucks tonight and I had a couple others bounce off of my glove.

I also noticed that I am getting close to running out of skate blade and my Graf's don't have a replaceable blade, so I'll need to figure out if I want to repalce the cowlings or just get new skates. I've had trouble finding Bauer skates that fit me in the past, but I'm really interested in the One80/100 skates. For those that have those skates, what do you think of them and does the aggressive blade angle really make a difference? Even if I just order cowlings, I'll probably go with Bauer, since having replaceable blades would help me get a lot more life out of my skates.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I tried on the One100s today. The area around the side/back of the ankle felt really tight at first, but I got used to it after a few minutes and heat molding would change that fit anyway. It was pretty crazy how far I could bend my ankle and still maintain blade contact and it felt like I had more control over my foot than I do with my Grafs. I tried one of each skate on and the ankle on my Graf's was noticeable looser and I couldn't bend my ankle as far while maintaining blade contact. They mentioned that I could shave off the protruding piece of plastic near the overdrive mounts, which would give me a little more room before I lose my edge.

As for creating a frankenskate, they were unsure how well the One100 cowling would work with the Graf boot. I know that people over at GSBB swear by that combination, so I'm sure it could work, but I'm intrigued by the One100 boot at the moment, since the way my foot felt locked into the skate, seemed like it would lead to a better transfer of power when I push off. The other option would be to wait until March/April when Graf releases their new cowling, which is supposed to be lighter, get rid of the overdrive mount, most of the elf toe, and have replaceable blades. They didn't have One80s in my size that I could try on, but I guess the difference is that the One80 boot has a thinner tongue, isn't quite as stiff, and has a 4 mm blade instead of the 3 mm blade of the One100. I did try on the One60s and I didn't like how those skates fit at all.

I'm going to wait a couple weeks before I make a decision. I liked the feel of the One100s, but replacing my cowlings would still be half the price, so I need to decide if the fit of the One100 boot is good enough to justify the extra cost and I'd still like to try on the One80s if I can find my size in town.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Aniki posted:

March/April when Graf releases their new cowling, which is supposed ... have replaceable blades.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I did not hear this. I guess I'm holding out on skates that actually fit until March/April.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I did not hear this. I guess I'm holding out on skates that actually fit until March/April.

They finally caved into the pressure, a lot of people complained that their cowlings were too heavy and you couldn't replace the blade and their new skate is supposed to correct those issues. It should have a more aggressive angle of attack, though I don't know if it will be extreme as the One80/One100. I will say that the One100 fit a lot better than I expected it too, so they may be worth trying on even if you hate how older Bauer skates fit.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Oh great, just got word my Woot order of a GoProHD shipped, hopefully it'll get here before I'm off for Christmas break cause I can't wait to film a game for once so I can get some more tips on how to fix some of my awful play.

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Hey, I remember this thread. It's been a while to say the least.

So, I haven't played in about 8 months. My mom passed away pretty quickly at the end of April, which coincided with the end of the roller session. I just didn't have the motivation to get back put there for a while, and was planning on coming back in Jan/Feb. That way I'd at least have a chance to get back into some kind of decent shape.

Until I get a call today, as my pal's team has playoffs tomorrow for roller. And their goalie is in Florida, so I'm getting a last minute call up. Any advice other than stretching the rest of today and tomorrow? I have a feeling this game may not go so well.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Rick Grimes posted:

Hey, I remember this thread. It's been a while to say the least.

So, I haven't played in about 8 months. My mom passed away pretty quickly at the end of April, which coincided with the end of the roller session. I just didn't have the motivation to get back put there for a while, and was planning on coming back in Jan/Feb. That way I'd at least have a chance to get back into some kind of decent shape.

Until I get a call today, as my pal's team has playoffs tomorrow for roller. And their goalie is in Florida, so I'm getting a last minute call up. Any advice other than stretching the rest of today and tomorrow? I have a feeling this game may not go so well.

Start drinking water now. Try doing some cardio today, nothing too crazy, and then go through a series of hip and groin stretches. Also, you can try throwing a tennis ball off the wall and work on getting your eyes used to tracking again. Start off by throwing the ball underhand off the wall and catch it with the same hand that you threw it with and work on catching the ball and rotating your head so that you watch it go all the way into your hand. Once you've done that for a little bit then starting varying how you throw it and possibly move back a couple extra feet from the wall.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

All solid advice. I do the tennis ball bit with my catcher on every so often, really concentrating on watching the ball all the way into the pocket. I couldn't catch poo poo cleanly when switching from baseball to hockey unless I spent some time doing this.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy poo poo, the best birthday present:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 20, 2011

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Martytoof posted:

Be ready to throw up afterward while two little kids absolutely school you in cardio. This is literally what happened to me last time I went.

e: I just realised how overtired I am, because I laughed at "small private". I am ashamed.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Paulocaust posted:

Be ready to throw up afterward while two little kids absolutely school you in cardio. This is literally what happened to me last time I went.

Truth. I had to take about 4 breaks for a 90 minute lesson while the 2 high school kids laughed at me. Fuckers.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've basically got to book during the day when nobody should be out of school :q:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Truth. I had to take about 4 breaks for a 90 minute lesson while the 2 high school kids laughed at me. Fuckers.

Yeah, the last lesson I did kicked my rear end. Apparently, the lessons at the Ice Den are going to be like $90 for a session shared with 4-goalies. That hardly seems worth it, though I guess lessons at non-horrible hours could almost justify it. I know Mike at the Behind the Mask offers lessons at reasonable prices, but his lessons are always at like 6:00 or 7:00 AM on work days. I briefly had it in my head that I'd go to Gilbert for a lesson on Sunday, but then I remembered Sunday is Christmas.

Martytoof posted:

That's the best gift ever.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Now is it bad that i want to work up some stamina before I cash these in? I feel like I'm going to die and not get the full experience if i'm too out of breath to listen :[

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Now is it bad that i want to work up some stamina before I cash these in? I feel like I'm going to die and not get the full experience if i'm too out of breath to listen :[

That's not a bad idea, you want to get the most of your work out and not be the dolt throwing up halfway through like I was at my last lesson. Look up HIIT cardio, which should help you get the most out of your lessons.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Martytoof posted:

Not a bad idea at all. Granted, when I went for mine when I hadn't played in a couple years and wanted to get back on track before I joined a team, but you're going to doing an insane amount of ups and downs and going from post, to the top of the crease, down, back to the post, repeat. It loving sucks.

If you wanna hit up the 4pad this week a bunch of times to get some workouts, let me know. I need to get my lazy rear end up there for the workout and the practice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are they running poo poo this week, what with the holidays and all? I'll definitely be able to go one of these nights, just have to decide which.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Just finished my playoff runs this season where on one team we went 7-1-4(ties), stood on my head at the end of the season and had some of the best saves of my life between 2 games. The semi-finals game we were missing players because it was on a different night so we had to call some people in, unfortunately one of those D men we called in tipped 2 shots I had clean views and positioning on into the net somehow. We ended up tieing it up with 30 seconds left and went into OT then a 5 round shootout where I only let in one goal and my team couldnt score a single time on 5 attempts. Heartbreaker of an ending to an otherwise awesome season.

Other team where I was also playing rock solid ended up pounding the team finishing the season with an 8 game win streak and a championship.

My dads had the gopro cause he's skiing out west but I'll probably have that back in action soon enough.

My big takeaways this season is dont let teammates mistakes get into your head, ignore them and just see the puck. This is something that used to get me too riled up before and I feel it affected my game. Secondly don't show you're upset after a goal, it seeds doubt into your teammates and feeds the other team. I kept a cool head all season long and it paid off huge. Lastly, dont be the only one getting compliments. Let your D men know they've helped you out even if they've hosed up prior. It'll take their nerves off and get their confidence back.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Great job with your two leagues and I'll definitely want to see some more in game footage when you get your camera back. As for the defensemen that tipped in two goals on you, was his stick in the air or in the ice when he did that? I hate the feeling when you have a good read on a puck, get in position to make a save, and then you watch your defensemen lift his stick in the air and it caroms off his stick and whizzes past you in the opposite direction.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

titanium posted:

My big takeaways this season is dont let teammates mistakes get into your head, ignore them and just see the puck. This is something that used to get me too riled up before and I feel it affected my game. Secondly don't show you're upset after a goal, it seeds doubt into your teammates and feeds the other team.

I'm normally this way (for the most part) anyways, and I've been accused of not caring enough. :argh:

Although if I gently caress up and let in one I think I should've stopped, I won't be able to contain anger sometimes.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

And speaking of getting angry, it took every part of me to not smash my stick over the crossbar lastnight. Team we beat in the finals last session we played in game 2 of the new session lastnight. Had a 4-1 lead almost exactly halfway through the game, lost 5-4 in OT. I misplayed a puck behind the net, and 3 3 on 2s with the weakside winger scoring while all alone finished us off on all 3 goals. We absolutely let off, and I was not pleased.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Drove up to Vegas this weekend and got to chattin' with a fella at the poker table. Turned out they needed another goalie for their skate the following day. Just so happened that I had my equipment in the back of the truck, so I hauled my rear end out of bed and got a good skate in. Pro tip of the day: Keep your equipment handy at all times.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

So it CAN be done. 36+1s and two pairs of skates. I had to take the arms off my C/A though.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Pretty sure I have the same bag, and I fit all my stuff in it. My only problem is its overweighted....the pull handle side tears pretty quickly.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Played two games back to back at different rinks last night (830pm game, then raced uptown for an 11pm). Second game was outdoor, and it started raining as soon as warmups started but we played the whole thing through anyway. The combination of lovely ice due to the rain and the warmth made the puck bounce like I've never seen in my life, but I think somehow that made me focus much harder, and I turned in two great performances for a pair of wins. I'm sore as hell but its really satisfying when you have those nights where both the refs and the opposing team stops and says "wow nice save, goalie" in the middle of the game.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
We rented the ice with another team on Wednesday. I did alright, but it was one of those nights where I would make some flashy saves and a few moments later lose track of a rebound or committ too early on a breakaway. That being said, I did make one my more impressive saves of late. I had a shooter about 4-5 feet out from the crease, he fired a mid-level shot that I blocked with the lower portion of my trapper. The rebound goes back to him about 3 feet out from the crease, I do a small slide and as I'm bouncing back up into my stance, he fires another mid-level shot and it goes right into the pocket of my trapper.

It seems like ever since I've started bouncing tennis balls off the wall that my tracking of high shots and glove hand reflexes have got a lot better. I made a couple other nice glove saves and I'm also working on keeping my trapper in a fingers up position with my elbow at about waist height and my hands in front of me. I'm also resisting the urge to snap my trapper shut when the puck is coming at my glove, since my timing is always horrible on that. I need to keep up the work with the tennis ball, but it's nice to see some real results.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I bought the goalie guild's NHL goaltender style guide for $10 the other day, only got a couple pages in so far - boils every NHL goaltender down into some basic stats and an overview of their general style and strong skillpoints. The guy has written up his own goaltending periodic table of elements and assigns the key ones to each goalie.

Makes for an interesting read if nothing else, dunno if I will be able to learn anything from it though.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

This is certainly an old video, but I just saw it for the first time. Very interesting to hear all the communication. I have a new role model in someone that screams gibberish constantly like I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3H9oMQ6-aQ

leave him!

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Speaking of that apparently the NHL setup a GoPro or something similar for the Winter Classic, and they've got a ton of in-goal shots up on their video page here: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hdpid=49&id=146730

It should have a ton of related videos of various events. All in all it's cool to see more in the goal videos from the pro's.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

That thing you showed really isn't a GoPro. I only care to point out the difference because the NHL is considering/trying to put that HD camera in EVERY game to help review goals and poo poo.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
edit: got the gear situated.

Time to go fall on my rear end this sunday. harhar

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 7, 2012

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Oh hey, been a while, fellow goon goalies. It's been a bit busy here, but still been playing Saturdays in a league and now 2-3 nights of drop-in a week so lots of hockey. So far in my new league I'm 6-2-0 with those two losses coming in the last three games. I've been having issues tracking the puck, but tonight I plan on using that tennis ball in my bag for more than stretching.

I've been doing the Rapid Response Goalie Training from Maria and it's been good. I was noticing an improvement in flexibility and power, but then the holidays came around and ended up really cutting into workout time.

titanium posted:

My big takeaways this season is dont let teammates mistakes get into your head, ignore them and just see the puck. This is something that used to get me too riled up before and I feel it affected my game. Secondly don't show you're upset after a goal, it seeds doubt into your teammates and feeds the other team. I kept a cool head all season long and it paid off huge. Lastly, dont be the only one getting compliments. Let your D men know they've helped you out even if they've hosed up prior. It'll take their nerves off and get their confidence back.

I once saw a quote on a backplate that fits this perfectly. Blame no one. Expect nothing. Do something. I try to go by this whenever I play.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I got my second shutout of the season tonight and oddly enough, it was against the same team I shutout before. They haven't scored on me in 6 straight periods and we play them again in the first round of the playoffs next weekend.

It's strange, because they've been a team we've struggled against in the past, but we've beat them by a combined score 21-0 over the past two games. My defense played exceptionally well and one of my defensemen had about 5-10 blocked shots and I joked after the game that he had more saves than I did. I didn't have to face any sustained pressure during the game and most of the saves that I had were on breakaways or bad angle shots.

They do have a couple good players, but their problem is that they rely on one guy cherry picking for most of their offense, so I had my D-men hang back and he maybe had 2-3 breakaways tonight and when we've played them in the past, it's not uncommon for him to have 8-9 breakaways. Their other good scorer, had a couple chances on me, but I was weirdly square on my angles tonight, so there weren't many holes for him to pick tonight.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Aniki posted:

I got my second shutout of the season tonight and oddly enough, it was against the same team I shutout before. They haven't scored on me in 6 straight periods and we play them again in the first round of the playoffs next weekend.

It's strange, because they've been a team we've struggled against in the past, but we've beat them by a combined score 21-0 over the past two games. My defense played exceptionally well and one of my defensemen had about 5-10 blocked shots and I joked after the game that he had more saves than I did. I didn't have to face any sustained pressure during the game and most of the saves that I had were on breakaways or bad angle shots.

They do have a couple good players, but their problem is that they rely on one guy cherry picking for most of their offense, so I had my D-men hang back and he maybe had 2-3 breakaways tonight and when we've played them in the past, it's not uncommon for him to have 8-9 breakaways. Their other good scorer, had a couple chances on me, but I was weirdly square on my angles tonight, so there weren't many holes for him to pick tonight.

Congrats! I apparently can not ever get a shutout as they are always ruined by bad goals, never a good shot that I was seriously beat on.

Our game last night should've been a lot closer. Last time we played them it was a 3-1, closely fought battle. Last night was an 8-2 blowout in which my team started holding back halfway through the second. I know my previous post said to blame no one, but the two goals on me were 75% my defensemen's faults. The first goal, with a guy standing in the crease the whole time, came from my d-man trying to clear a rebound but gave it right to the guy in the crease on my backdoor. Second goal was close to the same where a d-man was making a breakout pass and ended up putting the puck right on a forechecker's tape who one-timed it just off my blocker. The strange thing was the other team has a couple of good skaters but after we let up a bit and gave them room to enter the zone, they started firing slappers at the blueline that would go eight feet wide.

Gear question: After using the giant Vaughn kneepads for a year, the sticky stuff to keep them from falling isn't working so well now. I just bought some of the Reebok knee pads with the built-in garter. Does anyone have any issues, tips, tricks, what have you for these pads?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Bradf0rd posted:

Congrats! I apparently can not ever get a shutout as they are always ruined by bad goals, never a good shot that I was seriously beat on.

Our game last night should've been a lot closer. Last time we played them it was a 3-1, closely fought battle. Last night was an 8-2 blowout in which my team started holding back halfway through the second. I know my previous post said to blame no one, but the two goals on me were 75% my defensemen's faults. The first goal, with a guy standing in the crease the whole time, came from my d-man trying to clear a rebound but gave it right to the guy in the crease on my backdoor. Second goal was close to the same where a d-man was making a breakout pass and ended up putting the puck right on a forechecker's tape who one-timed it just off my blocker. The strange thing was the other team has a couple of good skaters but after we let up a bit and gave them room to enter the zone, they started firing slappers at the blueline that would go eight feet wide.

Gear question: After using the giant Vaughn kneepads for a year, the sticky stuff to keep them from falling isn't working so well now. I just bought some of the Reebok knee pads with the built-in garter. Does anyone have any issues, tips, tricks, what have you for these pads?

Not loving it up is the hardest part. All I can recommend is try not to look at the clock too much, just focus on the current shot, and just try to keep yourself calm. That being said, both of my shutouts were in blowouts, so I'm still waiting for a 1-0 shutout where I make 30+ saves.

What kind of knee pads do you have? Are they the huge one's witht the built in thigh guard or are they the three piece ones?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Aniki posted:

Not loving it up is the hardest part. All I can recommend is try not to look at the clock too much, just focus on the current shot, and just try to keep yourself calm. That being said, both of my shutouts were in blowouts, so I'm still waiting for a 1-0 shutout where I make 30+ saves.

What kind of knee pads do you have? Are they the huge one's witht the built in thigh guard or are they the three piece ones?

What's funny is I usually ruin my shutout with an easy goal late in the first period or early in the second. I can't think of a time where my shutout was ended in the final period, really. :downs:

real_scud told me that these things are huge, so I'm guessing the ones with the built-in thigh guards:
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=KPPRE2

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Bradf0rd posted:

What's funny is I usually ruin my shutout with an easy goal late in the first period or early in the second. I can't think of a time where my shutout was ended in the final period, really. :downs:

real_scud told me that these things are huge, so I'm guessing the ones with the built-in thigh guards:
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=KPPRE2

The current trend is for huge knee pads. It gives you a little more vertical coverage, supposedly lessens the stress on your knees, and takes up more space in teh 5-hole. Both Joey Walnuts and I use Vaughn 7250 knee pads, because they actually stay in place without suspenders or tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Both Joey Walnuts and I use Vaughn 7250 knee pads, because they actually stay in place without suspenders or tape.

Until they get old. I just started to tape them as of last week. I've gotten a poo poo-load of use out of them though, so I can't complain. Definitely worth the money.

• Locked thread