Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Zakath posted:

I made a starter on Friday night for the porter I brewed today, but it seems to be starting slower than I thought it would -- 6 hours later, there is some small sign of fermenting going on, where I expected at least this much maybe an hour after pitching. Were my expectations way off?

The yeast in the starter seemed really active last night, but the head was all gone this afternoon by the time I pitched it. I have a stir plate, and I think I had it set low enough that it wasn't stirring too fast. I made the starter with 3oz of DME in 1L of water, boiling for 10 minutes and cooling to 70F before pitching the yeast. Did I make it soon before pitching it?

It's gonna be fine. The goal (IMO) of a starter is to have "enough" yeast, not necessarily to get it fermenting 10 minutes after you pitch. 6 hours is still really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Zakath posted:

I made a starter on Friday night for the porter I brewed today, but it seems to be starting slower than I thought it would -- 6 hours later, there is some small sign of fermenting going on, where I expected at least this much maybe an hour after pitching. Were my expectations way off?

'Fraid so. A 1L starter, no matter how healthy, is going to reproduce for a while when pitched into 5 gallons of beer. 6 hours is a really short lag time, so you have nothing to worry about.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
You want a decent amount of lag time. If you don't have any that means you overpitched or (I believe) there wasn't enough oxygen for the yeast to properly reproduce so they went to anaerobic fermentation right away. Either way it means negative impact on your beer's flavor. People who talk about getting fermentation less than 1 hour after pitching are dumping in WAY too much yeast which suppresses a lot of ester formation that you want even in light lagers to make it taste like beer (or they're dumping in an active starter that is just offgassing).

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Docjowles posted:

I did a search, apparently the HBT thread titled "Brewing with Human Remains" was (mercifully) deleted. It was linked in the old homebrewing thread by BerkerLerk. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2984156&pagenumber=434&perpage=40#post392671478

Some choice quotes that were posted from the deleted thread:

"My wife just died from cancer. Is it safe for me to add her ashes to a beer? I'm thinking 1 teaspoon per gallon in a hoppy double IPA."

"It shoudl be safe, as long as you don't dump the whole urn in. Also, make sure that there's no bone fragments left because sometimes they are mixed in with the ashes, athough they would probably settle out with the trub anwyay."

loving Homebrewtalk :nms:

If only he referred to his late wife as "SWMBO." Then it would have been the ultimate homebrewtalk thread.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

After brewing some beer in my kitchen a few times, I'm really interested in creating a setup in my garage consisting of a fairly large brew pot with a propane burner, a cooling tank with a wort chiller, and some type of fermentor vessel all linked together with hoses.

What's the best and cheapest way to go about this? I've looked at other home brewing forums and there seems to be a ton of different options and I really don't know where to start.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Corbet posted:

After brewing some beer in my kitchen a few times, I'm really interested in creating a setup in my garage consisting of a fairly large brew pot with a propane burner, a cooling tank with a wort chiller, and some type of fermentor vessel all linked together with hoses.

What's the best and cheapest way to go about this? I've looked at other home brewing forums and there seems to be a ton of different options and I really don't know where to start.

Probably the best cheap way is to define exactly what you want to do in terms of function and space, and then accumulate pieces gradually. I have found that visiting garage sales, scrap yards, etc., one can cobble together something pretty inexpensively. I can virtually guarantee that it won't look like you imagine it to now, though.

For brew pots, look at restaurant supply places, estate sales, restaurant liquidations, etc. One effective strategy is to convert a beer keg into a pot - I got all three of my base pots for $25 each this way (not bad for 60 quart pots), then added weldless fittings for valves (and later upgraded to welded couplers). I have heard of large rigs being made from scavenged stainless pool filter housings.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "cooling tank," but some copper or stainless tubing can be made into an effective immersion chiller with minimal difficulty - a laundry sink can act as a water source and a drain for this.

Keep your eyes open for things that can be acquired inexpensively and then repurposed.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
My Christmas beer this year is a juniper roggenbock, if you will. I've heard rye in a beer can make it a little oily and that is definitely the case right here. I don't hate it, but I wonder if there is anything you can do about it or is it just something you always get with a ton of rye?

The basic recipe was 50/50 munich and rye malt, tett for bittering, then 1 oz. each at 3 min. of tett, saaz and juniper. I did a double decoction from protein rest, to 148, to 158 or so. It was a real mess with a couple extra decoctions for when I was under temperature. Pitched a 1200 mL starter of WLP380.

Anyways, it's very tasty and the juniper is pretty subtle.

mewse
May 2, 2006

BerkerkLurk posted:

The basic recipe was 50/50 munich and rye malt

isn't 50% rye malt a hell of a lot or is that what the roggenbock style entails?

e: VVVVVVVVV ah, ok

mewse fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 19, 2011

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
It's typical for Roggenbier, sure.

Roggenbock is just a turn of phrase, I don't think it's an actual style. Just as a Weizenbock is a big Hef/Dunkelweizen, this is a big Roggenbier.

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:
O-o-o-o-out of style? You monster.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Docjowles posted:

My Goonbrew Secret Santa package came too! :woop: Thanks, poster Johnnysmitch! Nothing broke or even got scratched. I got 2 each of an amarillo-hopped wheat, Irish Red and Black Cherry Stout. I haven't had time to crack any yet, but I had to post photos of his labels because they are baller as hell. Look at this right here.

I'm glad my beers got to you unscathed! It was my first time shipping beer, so I was totally paranoid that you'd get a dripping box full of broken glass.
Lemme know what you think when you get around to trying them - the Shawk and Awe was pretty well liked by a lot of my friends, and the None More Black stout has been getting some praise from those who I've shared it with lately too.

Happy Goonsmas.

mewse
May 2, 2006

JohnnySmitch posted:

I'm glad my beers got to you unscathed! It was my first time shipping beer, so I was totally paranoid that you'd get a dripping box full of broken glass.
Lemme know what you think when you get around to trying them - the Shawk and Awe was pretty well liked by a lot of my friends, and the None More Black stout has been getting some praise from those who I've shared it with lately too.

Happy Goonsmas.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you make those labels? Were they expensive?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

^
We've got laser printers at work, so I just printed them on that, and used spray mount to stick 'em on the bottles.
I think I had almost as much fun drawing + designing the labels as I did brewing the beers. Drinking the beers is still the most fun though.

EDIT: Actually, I'll share the labels I've done so far:

The "Pumpkinhead" label was both the longest to draw/design and my favorite so far.

JohnnySmitch fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 19, 2011

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Nice!

Question, I want to possibly create a maple oak oatmeal stout for my first beer. I plan on soaking oak chips in pure maple syrup and then putting them in the mix. I assume I would add these during fermentation, or would there be a better time?

mewse
May 2, 2006

JohnnySmitch posted:

We've got laser printers at work, so I just printed them on that, and used spray mount to stick 'em on the bottles.

so they're just office/laser printer paper with spray-on adhesive?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

mewse posted:

so they're just office/laser printer paper with spray-on adhesive?

Yepper. It seems to hold up great unless you throw them in a cooler with ice, in which case the label gets soaked and ruined.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Midorka posted:

Nice!

Question, I want to possibly create a maple oak oatmeal stout for my first beer. I plan on soaking oak chips in pure maple syrup and then putting them in the mix. I assume I would add these during fermentation, or would there be a better time?

You can add after a few days of primary. Some rack into the oak chips in secondary but that's only necessary if you are harvesting the yeast.

That said I wouldn't recommend oaking your first beer. You aren't yet familiar with the process and won't really have a way of judging how much to use or how long to let it sit. Also the maple syrup will be consumed by the yeast and not lend noticeable flavor.

If you to insist on jumping in head first, split the wort into two vessels and only oak half the beer. You'll then have a way to compare the effects of oaking on the base beer.

Edit: I'm also pretty sure you must mash oats, meaning it will have to be all grain or partial mash.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Ah thanks for the advice!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I finally got my Secret Santa package shipped out this afternoon, sorry for the delay! UPS estimates delivery Thursday but said it may be delayed slightly due to Christmas volume.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Midorka posted:

Nice!

Maple syrup will just get eaten up by the yeast, look into using fenugreek seeds. They're used to flavor imitation maple syrup and such and work great in beer.

Zakath
Mar 22, 2001

Docjowles posted:

It's gonna be fine. The goal (IMO) of a starter is to have "enough" yeast, not necessarily to get it fermenting 10 minutes after you pitch. 6 hours is still really fast.
Yeah, it's bubbling like a pro now. The krausen isn't terribly big, though.

Speaking of equipment, my turkey fryer is on the way out -- the "safety button" that you need to press down to light the thing has a gas leak, so if I have the gas turned up to high the button ignites and shoots out flames. Looks kind of cool, but it's probably not too safe. I made due this weekend with a makeshift heat shield, but I need something better. What brands of burners should I look at?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Somehow, only today did I realize that there should be a goon beer/brewing related channel, so I created one.
#beer on irc.synirc.org

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Whatever happened to our goon Homebrew competition?

I've got a couple ideas that I think would help get over the hurdles of having such a widespread group of individuals.

1) everyone posts what style beer they want to make. Whichever is most common shall be the chosen beer.

2) everyone brews their beer.

3) we assembly in regional goon meets, and ship as a group. Ex: us Tampa goons come together and mail a package of our beers to each other participating group.

4) have regional goon meets for tasting/judging

Ideally the judging would be done blindly, allowing for less favoritism or whatever.
I think my suggestions help get over the hurdle of shipping a bottle or two to 50 different goons. We could greatly reduce shipping costs by combing orders and reducing the number of packages sent.

Sorry for any grammar stuff, sent from my iphone.

So whose down for the comp?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
People are too spread out for that, I think you'd just want to pick a couple qualified judges. I'm sure there's two qualified people that live near enough to each other to do this. If you could get two of those groups that's 4 judges and they'd only need a single bottle to judge. Shipping two seperate 12 oz bottles is cheap enough.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

You could also have people judge certain styles, for instance I feel I have a good palate for tasting stouts.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
There's no way to do a 'best of show' with that. Plus people that judge this should be qualified, so their palate will be fine for any style. I'm sure we have people that would be great judges. I know we have several people that are professionals in some way in the beer industry and people that have done well in big competitions, etc.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Got my SS package today, thanks drewhead! German Altbier, Steam Beer, Cider, Braggot, Belgian Triple, Holiday Spice, and Witbier. Also pictured, honey bear filled with the take from his beehives :3:

They're all chilling in the fridge now and start in on them tomorrow!

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
I would be interested in a goonbrew comp.

Imasalmon fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 20, 2011

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:
Interested? yes. think it's even sort of feasible without a significant investment by everyone? noooooope.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
Pretty sure I'll be getting a wort chiller soon. I've been looking around and found pretty decently priced Stainless Steel wort chillers. Is there a performance difference between copper and stainless steel? Am lessening my impact of the chiller with stainless steel?

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004
i thought I was going to end up early, likr 1.015 or oe so, so
i could pasturize while should still sweet.Then it was down to 1.000 all of a sudden.
so
i bottled and it was super dry and tart.Is the a way to sweeten this without concentrated juice. We do have some "apple pie" Which is really sweet.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Jacobey000 posted:

Pretty sure I'll be getting a wort chiller soon. I've been looking around and found pretty decently priced Stainless Steel wort chillers. Is there a performance difference between copper and stainless steel? Am lessening my impact of the chiller with stainless steel?

I would think copper is a better idea since it's a better thermal conductor. You could buy one, but I'm absolutely awful at DIY stuff and even I could make a chiller for about 1/3rd the cost of buying one by just following instructions online.

digitalhifi
Jun 5, 2004
In life I have encountered much, but nothing as profound as the statement "all we ever do is do stuff."

stizu posted:

i thought I was going to end up early, likr 1.015 or oe so, so
i could pasturize while should still sweet.Then it was down to 1.000 all of a sudden.
so
i bottled and it was super dry and tart.Is the a way to sweeten this without concentrated juice. We do have some "apple pie" Which is really sweet.

Come again?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

digitalhifi posted:

Come again?

Looks to me like perhaps he has been tasting the hydrometer samples, and has been for a while.

The best way I have seen to sweeten cider that is too dry is to use an unfermentable sweetener. Pretty much anything else you can add will just ferment out. Another poster here recently used xylitol (Xylosweet) to backsweeten his cider, and got a flavor he liked. I have heard of others using sucralose (Splenda) with good success also.

Pasteurization is something people talk about, but I have never personally seen it done by the home user. If you have a proven process, you might be able to backsweeten with regular sugar, honey, etc., and have it stay sweet, but it seems like a crapshoot to me.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.
I bottled an imperial stout after adding rehydrated yeast and priming sugar to the bucket. I was concerned about bottle bombs because I had never done such a thing before and wasn't sure whether the increased yeast might cause trouble. It's been three weeks and I decided to check on the progress. I opened a 12 oz bottle that I filled near the end of the bucket and poured half a glass of foam. I also opened a 22oz bottle and it seemed a little under-carbonated.

I would like to dip the bottles in wax and give them away as gifts, but I don't give to give bottle bombs. I'm thinking about checking a few more to get a wider sample. If I think that they've carbonated too much, is there anything I can do other then perpetually storing them at 54 degrees?

Other thread I've looked at say I need to delicately open and drain pour them all.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Cointelprofessional posted:

I bottled an imperial stout after adding rehydrated yeast and priming sugar to the bucket. I was concerned about bottle bombs because I had never done such a thing before and wasn't sure whether the increased yeast might cause trouble. It's been three weeks and I decided to check on the progress. I opened a 12 oz bottle that I filled near the end of the bucket and poured half a glass of foam. I also opened a 22oz bottle and it seemed a little under-carbonated.

I would like to dip the bottles in wax and give them away as gifts, but I don't give to give bottle bombs. I'm thinking about checking a few more to get a wider sample. If I think that they've carbonated too much, is there anything I can do other then perpetually storing them at 54 degrees?

Other thread I've looked at say I need to delicately open and drain pour them all.

How much sugar did you use for how big a batch? I have always been under the impression that if bottles were going to bomb, they would do it in weeks 2 and 3 of bottle conditioning.

Edit: vvv
2/3rds of a cup for a 5 gallon batch of beer is fine.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 20, 2011

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
uhhh

so, I left a killawatt hooked up to my kegerator for a while, and took a reading

139 hours
2.66kwh used.

I think that translates to like 15 cents? that can't be right...

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

TenjouUtena posted:

How much sugar did you use for how big a batch? I have always been under the impression that if bottles were going to bomb, they would do it in weeks 2 and 3 of bottle conditioning.

I used John Palmer's ratio and did 2/3 cup of white sugar with 2 cups of water. Doing a google search of "when bottle bombs happen" mentions that they can go off months afterwards. I've kept them in a 70+ degree environment so I feel like they would have gone off by now.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
So it looks like most of the people in this thread do a fair amount of beer shipping- I've got the packaging/leak prevention stuff down, but I'm just wondering if there are any other pitfalls I need to watch out for shipping inside the US with UPS or FedEx. If someone here could shed a bit of light on this for me or is willing to share a bit of advice it would be much appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mindphlux posted:

uhhh

so, I left a killawatt hooked up to my kegerator for a while, and took a reading

139 hours
2.66kwh used.

I think that translates to like 15 cents? that can't be right...

If you've got it stuffed to the brim with stuff and away from heat sources it might not need to switch on all that often. When I'm doing lagers in my fridge over the winter I can set the fridge to 49* and if there are two batches in there (plus a bunch of bottles and assorted other junk) it kicks on a few times per day, and hardly ever after active fermentation subsides - although that's in my basement which is constantly around 60* anyway.