Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

That gen of lc4 should go the distance, no problem. 2 guys on adv have done basically RTW on them, 37k miles on them with no major issues. Check their thread on adv.

Dammit, that is not what I wanted to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566295

Allow me to, ahem, influence you a bit.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Buy it, it's really quite cheap.

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011
I've been thinking about getting a motard/dual sport/enduro. Is it a good option for me? My first bike, and old ratty Honda Rebel just bit the bucket on me after 15K miles. I've tried bigger bikes, but prefer the lower weight of the Rebel. The motards appeal to me because of their maneuverability and their ability to take a jump (which is right up my alley). the only issue is the seat height, I would be doing normal city riding 80% of the time, and I was thinking the high seat may get annoying in stop and go traffic. However, I was only looking to spend ~$2500. Any suggestions on the type of bike to get? Also, do dealerships let you try bikes?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

sixdeadpandas posted:

I've been thinking about getting a motard/dual sport/enduro. Is it a good option for me? My first bike, and old ratty Honda Rebel just bit the bucket on me after 15K miles. I've tried bigger bikes, but prefer the lower weight of the Rebel. The motards appeal to me because of their maneuverability and their ability to take a jump (which is right up my alley). the only issue is the seat height, I would be doing normal city riding 80% of the time, and I was thinking the high seat may get annoying in stop and go traffic. However, I was only looking to spend ~$2500. Any suggestions on the type of bike to get? Also, do dealerships let you try bikes?

Seat height on an SM/DS isn't definitive. The seat allows you to slide off at a stop to put a foot down. My friend with a 29" inseam has no problems on my DRZ.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

sixdeadpandas posted:

High seat isn't too bad, you adjust to it, plus what Zig says.

I think you'll be fine with any dualsport with street oriented tires, which is most of what you're going to be looking at in that price range.

Honestly, the old standby of the DRZ400S is a good choice. An SM would be better but probably won't be able to find one for 2.5k.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375476

That could be a good choice if it's still available.

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011
Thanks, what makes the DRZ so popular? I see a lot of talk about Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki, but never Honda. Does Honda not have any decent offerings in this class?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sixdeadpandas posted:

Thanks, what makes the DRZ so popular? I see a lot of talk about Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki, but never Honda. Does Honda not have any decent offerings in this class?

Not in the sumo class. They do have the XR650R which is a great bike, and the XR650L which is also a good bike.

DRZ is popular because it's reliable (with the exception of a few well documented issues, see Thumpertalk), cheap, and there's a lot of them out there, so good spares and aftermarket.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

sixdeadpandas posted:

They've made them for a zillion years with almost no changes, so parts and upgrade availability is there.
They go a zillion years with almost no maintenance aside from gas and oil changes. (15000 mile valve checks? Yes plz!)
They go a zillion miles on a tank of gas. If you're not hamfisted with the throttle, 40 MPG isn't bad. Add to that there's a 4.x gallon tank you can get (I get 5.0 into mine), and you're not going to be stopping to get gas every couple of days (or hours!) like you might on some other bikes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I saw mid 50s taking mine back from seattle.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
You can also opt for the oem gel seat which makes the seat height super low. I can flat foot my DRZ at stoplights.

I upgraded to a DRZ from a ratty GS500 and it owns hard. Do it.

Also Re: mileage - I consistently get 50MPG or higher on my DRZ with city riding and sometimes freeway, I'm also -3 teeth on the rear though too so it doesnt run as nuts on the top end at high speeds.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sixdeadpandas posted:

First off, I'm a known DRZ fanboy, but they really are one of the best deals in motorcycling, and arguably one of, if not the best street supermotos out there for the money.

They are super reliable, they have long maintenance intervals, the aftermarket is astronomical, they've been unchanged forever, and there are tons of them out there.

Are they the most powerful sm on the market? No.
Do they have the most high-end componentry of any SM? No.
Can you take a stock one and race supermoto competitively? No (I'd argue that you can't do that with ANY street SM, but that's a different topic)

BUT, for street riding, for the $3500 buy in price, you won't find a better supermoto, or a mor cohesive, competent package.

Honda doesnt have any supermotos because they seem to take the least amount of risks in the (US especially) market.

Edit: just realize you might not be talking SM, but all points still apply.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 15, 2011

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy
According to the Race Tech online spring calculator they don't make fork springs for some one of my size 6'1, 210# on a DRZ-400SM. What are some other sights/brands I should be checking for springs?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think Sonic goes up that far

E: nevermind, looks like they only have springs for the S

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gom Jabbar posted:

According to the Race Tech online spring calculator they don't make fork springs for some one of my size 6'1, 210# on a DRZ-400SM. What are some other sights/brands I should be checking for springs?

I'd call them and see...I'm 99% sure they make springs for the DRZ, I'd say there's probably an issue with the site.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

You can also opt for the oem gel seat which makes the seat height super low. I can flat foot my DRZ at stoplights.

I upgraded to a DRZ from a ratty GS500 and it owns hard. Do it.

Also Re: mileage - I consistently get 50MPG or higher on my DRZ with city riding and sometimes freeway, I'm also -3 teeth on the rear though too so it doesnt run as nuts on the top end at high speeds.
That's probably it. I was getting ~40 the few times I commuted to work on it. 30 miles @ 70 mph, with a 14/48 setup. Crazy times, riding around the neighborhood at 25-30 mph, in THIRD GEAR.
I put the 41T on the back, and was all... LOLWUT - did I leave my engine back there in the garage?

Much nicer ride at speed, though.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
The wr250x is dropping to almost $3500 for a 2008 around me. Still hoping for a winter deal ever since I read Motominds trip.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I can flat foot my completely stock DRZ at stoplights, no problem. :coolfish:

6'5" viking up in hea`

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

soy posted:

I can flat foot my completely stock DRZ at stoplights, no problem. :coolfish:

6'5" viking up in hea`

Yeah I'm not sure why people say sumos are tall. I flat foot my 690 easily.

(also 6'5")

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They are tall, but the second you put weight on them, they become not-as-tall

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy
Well its official, Race Tech doesn't do springs for fat asses. :btroll: Who else should I loot at for springs?

quote:

Hello Gom Jabbar,

I am showing on the front that you should run a spring in the .567kg rate, however we do not go that stiff, I believe the stiffest we go is a .47kg spring. Your stock spring is a .44kg so not a really big jump going up to a .47kg, however you can valve the forks and this can stiffen up the forks as well.

As for the rear we recommend that you get a 6.0kg, and we can actually meet this rate, the spring you will want to get is a SRSP 672760 $114.99. You can also valve the rear as well. The valving on the front and the end will help with any harshness you may be filling and help make the suspension feel more compliable.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you

Christie Gunter

Sales Manager

Distributor Sales

International Sales

PH: 951-279-6655 EXT:107

Fax: 951-284-0417

https://www.racetech.com

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
There are actually a lot of fat guys at the supermoto races and they're fast as poo poo too so there definitely has to be something.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I weigh 215... Bike is still fast, even stock. With mods it would probably be very fast.

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011
I saw a DRZ400S at a pawn shop today and I was surprised at how big it looks. I noticed it sunk after I got on but not by much, it was still a little too tall for me. Is there something similar, but a little shorter? I never considered myself short (5'10") until I got on that bike.

sixdeadpandas fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 18, 2011

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think the WR250 is shorter, as are the smaller displacement DR's.

Bear in mind, DRZ's own and you can lower them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

sixdeadpandas posted:

I never considered myself short (5'10") until I got on that bike.

You get used to it very quick. I'm 5'6 with a 28" inseam and I managed just fine.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Also keep in mind that the DRZ-S has a seat height of 36.8in while the DRZ-SM is only 35in. I have no problem flat footing both feet on my SM and I only got about a 31in inseam.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
It's looking like I'm moving from MI to Seattle in a few months. Is there a cheap way for me to get my DRZ out to WA other than putting a hitch on my car and towing it? (It's not really feasible for me to ride it for a number of reasons)

I really love my bike and don't want to sell it but it hardly seems worth shipping it out if it's going to cost me $1000.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

cmorrow001 posted:

It's looking like I'm moving from MI to Seattle in a few months. Is there a cheap way for me to get my DRZ out to WA other than putting a hitch on my car and towing it? (It's not really feasible for me to ride it for a number of reasons)

I really love my bike and don't want to sell it but it hardly seems worth shipping it out if it's going to cost me $1000.

Yeah, pay for my plane ticket and split the gas cost and I'll ride it over for you

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cmorrow001 posted:

Put a hitch on your car and get one of those hitch lift things like this:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...ed=0CJsBEPICMAA

Or what spiff says.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Put a hitch on your car and get one of those hitch lift things like this:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...ed=0CJsBEPICMAA

Or what spiff says.

That'd be way too much tongue weight for a class I hitch on a car. A small trailer can be found cheap and is very nice to have around for a variety of reasons.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

That'd be way too much tongue weight for a class I hitch on a car. A small trailer can be found cheap and is very nice to have around for a variety of reasons.

Just add more welding, problem solved! :buddy:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cmorrow001 posted:

I'll take your DRZ for you and take good care of it :whatup:

I'll even drive to mi to get it!!

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
Well, supermoto has made it to San Antonio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Afs6Mcezrc

I've always thought about going to that abandoned cart track

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

DownsideUp posted:

Rad! thanks for replying so quick, it's been sitting so i'm going to change all the seals and bleed everything and replace it with new, ... I really was looking at the new klx250sf just because it seems like it's built for the city, but im probably stupid for thinking of buying a new bike haha

I just bought a KLX 250sf as my first 'road' bike. I'm loving every second of it! :)

Next one I get will be in the 400 - 650cc range.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I'm coming back from France soon and am going to buy a motorcycle as my main vehicle when I get back. My previous ride was KTM 625, which served me fine as a primary vehicle. However, my budget is less now and I don't want a bike with maintenance issues (I had to fix various leaking gaskets and things on the 625). Will I be hating life if I "downgrade" to a DRZ400SM? Should I just go the soulless route and get an SV650?

My riding is twisties, unfortunately some highway, and general touring around on the weekends. I already know the comfort issues of a supermoto, my main question is how much power I'm giving up by doing the DRZ thing from having ridden a ~50hp KTM 625.

If I had my druthers I'd get a 690sm or something, but there's none around here and I don't have the budget for it.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Honestly you're going to miss the power. I have fun messing with the DRZ but I usually find myself wanting like 15 more hp.

Personally I can't afford to spend either the money or time working on a bike every weekend so the DRZ works for me. It's ridiculously fun in the twisties still though and leaves sport bikes in the dust.

I'll still be looking to sell once spring-time comes for either a little more race-y sumo or a sport bike again, but I've had a lot of fun on the DRZ just finding things to jump off of or places to wheelie.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Like JP said you'll miss the power but otherwise the DRZ is a great bike. Best part is if you buy it find you just can't live with the lack of power you can pry sell it for what you paid.

I loved my DRZ and at times would take it over the CRF just to have a bike that I didn't have to think about to hop on and go ride.

In sumo news I took the CRF out last night and played around downtown and around campus. Eventually campus cops asked me nicely to leave so I must have been doing something right.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
It's only right if you wheelie by them trying to pepper-spray you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

What's a reasonable price to offer for a 2009 DRZ with about 2k on the clock and mostly stock, aside from a Yoshi pipe and rejet? Seller is asking $4800 which I had a hearty laugh at. Here's a crappy picture he has:

Also to be noted is that this is being sold in Connecticut during the winter, so there sure as gently caress should be an off-season discount.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 26, 2011

• Locked thread