Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Sixty-Two:siren:

Match Sixty-Two, Huaso (Erakko) vs. Ted (Arrhythmia)

Huaso, a human warrior, enters the ring! He wields a steel spear, and his only notable armor comes in the form of a cheap copper helm. He is the image of a gladiator. Ted, gremlin, carries a steel dagger, iron buckler, iron helm, and iron mail shirt. Unfortunately, his armor is outclassed by Huaso's weapon, which could prove to be Ted's downfall!

The battle begins! The combatants rush forward. Ted sees an opening and attacks! But Ted is apparently an idiot, and decides to strike with his tiny fist rather than the knife held within. He pops Huaso in the thigh to no real effect. Huaso, bemused, charges at the gremlin, grazing him in the foot and sending him tumbling.

Huaso moves to stick Ted through the gut like a pig, but the gremlin's armor protects him somewhat from the strike. Ted is able to dart away from the next attack, then hops to his feet. Huaso wastes no time and is immediate on the offensive again, charging forward recklessly! Ted seamlessly sidesteps and slashes at the onrushing human, leaving a long, deep gash along his side!

Huaso is moderately wounded, but his condition does little to slow his assault. He knocks Ted to the ground once more, then stabs at the little gremlin-Ted scrambles away to safety and is back on his feet within the span of a second. Huaso rushes forward again, and his speartip only just nicks Ted's hand, but once more the gremlin is down.

Before Ted can raise his buckler or dagger to block, Huaso thrusts his spear directly into the little warrior's throat, then shears it sideways! Ted's head pops off cleanly and rolls against the arena wall. Huaso is wounded, but victorious!

Combat Log

Finally finishing up this round! Thanks for the patience, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007
Thanks for sticking with it Vox, I better get the ElfStomper out on bail. He got tied waiting to kill something smaller then himself.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Sixty-Three:siren:

Match Sixty-Three, YETI BRAWL ENTRANT 76268 (VladTheEater) vs. Mutt Jr (Pasco)

YETI BRAWL ENTRANT 76268, obviously a yeti, was created after months of VladTheEater's sustained, brutal experimentation. The brawlers opts for iron helm, iron mail, iron guantlets, and iron high boots, and combined with the beast's size, this provides near-impenetrable protection against weapons of iron grade or lower! Mutt Jr, a werewolf, wears an iron mail shirt as well, and a copper cap. He may regret his choice of weapon, an iron halberd. Will Mutt Jr's weapon find a gap, or will the werewolf be battered into jelly?

The warriors sprint forward, Mutt Jr at a significantly faster clip than his giant, clanking opponent. The werewolf takes the initiative, slashing at 76268's chest with his halberd, but the mail turns the blade with ease. Now 76268 charges wildly forward, but the werewolf slinks out of the way, then thrusts his halberd, spear-like, at 76268's foot! But the boots turn out to be no weak point, and deflect the weapon as easily as the iron shirt!

76268 is back on the offensive! He punches Mutt Jr in the leg and bowls the werewolf over. Before Mutt Jr can move, 76268 grabs him by the arm, locking the werewolf's elbow with his own massive upper arm. Mutt Jr's limb looks pitiful and spindly next to the yeti's massive ham of a limb, but before 76268 can snap the limb entirely, Mutt Jr forces himself to his feet, and the yeti abandons his plan in favor of knocking the werewolf back to the ground!

Now 76268 unleashes a flurry of powerful punches. Mutt Jr raises his hand to block, but only manages to get his own fist smashed back up into wrist. Twice. As Mutt Jr cradles his ruined stump of a forelimb, 76268 takes the time to smash his vulnerable paw, leaving the werewolf completely helpless. Then, in a show of pure strength, the yeti grabs Mutt Jr around the thigh and snaps his leg at the hip.

Unsurprisingly, Mutt Jr passes out. Rather than finish the job, though, 76268 plays Mutt Jr's unconscious body like an accordion, snapping joints just for the fun of it. At some point, he decides to snap Mutt Jr's neck with a couple well-placed punches, but refuses to finish the job. Unfortunately, werewolf regains consciousness, and he is witness to the devastation wrought upon his body. Seeing his opponent finally awake, 76268 smiles, then dispatches him at last with a strike directly into and through the face.

Combat Log

According to Toady, creatures should immediately go for a headshot to finish off an unconscious opponent, but sometimes, stuff like this happens. Emergent sadism, apparently.

nabo
Oct 23, 2010
Yay, Huaso won. I think I'm going to stick with the Gladiator/glass cannon gimmick.
Also, thanks for the good work Vox!

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
:stare:

Yetis are jerks.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Sixty-Four:siren:

Match Sixty-Four, Hoonboof (Hairybudda) vs. Cretas ElfStomper (Bozikek)

Hoonboof, gremlin, has an impressively long list of gear. She wears leather high boots, gauntlets, leggings, and body armor, copper mail shirt, helm, and buckler, and carries a very expensive, very heavy platinum whip. Cretas ElfStomper the minotaur has an exceedingly large copper shield and nothing more. It is my expectation that Cretas will be eating gremlin stew off of his shield like a plate by the end of this fight, but hey, let's give little Hoonboof a chance at proving herself.

The fight begins! Weighed down by all her armor, Hoonboof is only a quarter-step faster than her opponent, and the minotaur is able to jump away to avoid her opening lash. Not a good sign. Cretas charges as Hoonboof moves in to weapons range again, and the gremlin is sent sprawling, but uninjured.

The minotaur moves up to crush her beneath his shield, but she rolls away just in time and gets to her feet- only to immediately be knocked down again. Cretas attempts twice to crush her, but Hoonboof scrambles for her life and gets to safety.

Back on her feet again, Hoonboof exchanges a couple swings with Cretas, but neither seem to be able to land anything. Suddenly, Cretas decides to charge again, but this time Hoonboof evades the onrushing minotaur and scratches him in the back of the leg with her surprisingly sharp claws, drawing blood!

The two combatants scramble about for a moment, then Cretas bull-rushes the gremlind once more, knocking her to the ground, stunned and almost defenseless. Somehow, Hoofboon is able to blindly scramble away from the first strike, but the second catches her on the hand, shattering it completely and forcing her to drop her platinum whip!

Hoonboof stumbles, dazed, to her feet, and is immediately flattened once more. Cretas wallops the gremlin repeatedly, crushing a rib and sending her scrambling desperately for her life.

But Hoonboof cannot get far. The minotaur is immediately upon her, punching, goring, and just generally beating the life out of her. He bites down on a hand, then a leg, twisting both of them into his mouth simultaneously, then rips off the leg completely in a display of unnecessarily wanton gore. Finding that his opponent is no longer so much as trying to escape, he finishes off the gremlin with a solid kick through the skull. Cretas ElfStomper is victorious, having suffered only a minor scratch in the melee.

Combat Log

Well, that wasn't especially surprising, but at least Hoonboof put up a decent fight. It's too bad her name wasn't "Hoofboon," would have been some good irony.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

For those that haven't already done so, it is time to update your fighters for the next round!

Given the... irregular schedule we've had recently, I'll offer plenty of leeway for people to get this done. We'll send out emails to those who don't appear to have finished their updating and try to get things ready for the next round by this weekend!

Be on the lookout for free agents looking for a manager in the near future, as it is probable that a few people have lost interest by this point.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Welp. That ends that round. I've got 266.19 Dwarfbux left. Let's waste them on kobolds again!

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007
Following the match the gore covered Mino noted, "Αυτό ήταν ένα ωραίο σνακ! Τώρα είμαι έτοιμος για τον αγώνα! Αυτό ήταν το ματς?"

Honestly I was lucky the anti-little guy build was actually matched against a little guy, against a bigger guy ElfStomper's chances did not look so good.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Well, let's hope some well-built contender just so happens to be missing a manager...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

All I know is that I already spent my points a long time ago, so I'm just going to assume that whatever I did then was part of some brilliant scheme that's so crazy, it just might work.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I have here, in my hands, a list of managers who have yet to update their gladiators!

Shoot me an email at iamvoxnihili at gmail if you are on this list and simply do not intend to spend your points this round. A courtesy post here when your fighter is ready to go would also be appreciated. A round of emails will go out later to catch all the people who are still interested in keeping their fighter but have stopped following the thread.

As for everyone else, start browsing for gladiators you want to claim.

User, Gladiator

Arca, El Tigre
muskrat84, roctavian
Useless Shotgun, Shootey McShootalot

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 18, 2011

nabo
Oct 23, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Erakko, Huaso
I don't intend to abandom him, just waiting for my password to be reset because I'm dumb and forgot it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Erakko posted:

I don't intend to abandom him, just waiting for my password to be reset because I'm dumb and forgot it.

List updated. :)

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Mutt Jr raises his hand to block, but only manages to get his own fist smashed back up into wrist. Twice. As Mutt Jr cradles his ruined stump of a forelimb, 76268 takes the time to smash his vulnerable paw, leaving the werewolf completely helpless. Then, in a show of pure strength, the yeti grabs Mutt Jr around the thigh and snaps his leg at the hip.

Rather than finish the job, though, 76268 plays Mutt Jr's unconscious body like an accordion, snapping joints just for the fun of it. At some point, he decides to snap Mutt Jr's neck with a couple well-placed punches, but refuses to finish the job.

At least Mutt Jr died doing what he loved, getting twisted into a were-pretzel by a Yeti :gonk:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm a terrible fuckup and had to request another password reset from Jazz, the poor guy. So whenever that goes through I fully intend to update my fighter. I'm sorry Jazz! :downs:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Orv posted:

I'm a terrible fuckup and had to request another password reset from Jazz, the poor guy. So whenever that goes through I fully intend to update my fighter. I'm sorry Jazz! :downs:

Noted on the list. Still waiting on 8 people.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Another one who forgot his password and waiting on a reset.

Still ready to compete.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Sorry, I'm just being a slow and lazy gently caress. Will get on the updating.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
All updated. Hopefully this new build will work.

Valigarmanda
May 15, 2007

The frozen creature began emitting an eerie light...
Updating as we speak!

edit: updated! Thanks for prodding us about it. :)

Valigarmanda fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 18, 2011

Jeans
Jan 8, 2011
Alright vox, everything's set.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Email reminder sent out to the last four! Hoping to get the next round lined up by Monday.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
Apologies for the delay, I'll have to request my password unfortunetly, but as soon as that goes through I'll use my points and be good to go. Kudos on the hard work Vox.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ben Mattock is updated. Godsspeed, tankcow.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:The last three gladiators will go up on the block to be claimed by new owners approximately eight hours from now unless their managers make a post or send me an email.:siren:

There will be an additional post warning everyone a short time beforehand, and then a final free agency posting. Users with an account on the arena website but no surviving fighter in the current tournament will then be able to claim one of the abandoned gladiators on a first-come, first-serve basis.

As a reminder, these are the characters in question:

Arca, El Tigre (kobold)
muskrat84, roctavian (serpent man)
Useless Shotgun, Shootey McShootalot (elf)

nabo
Oct 23, 2010
Found my password, Huaso is updated.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I hereby claim El Tigre for the glory of Krysm's Kobold Farm!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
If we're claiming, gimme Roctavian, please.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Well, I ended up giving the managers a little more time than initially stated, but none of them have gotten back to me yet. I did say "approximately eight hours" in that post, but I also explicitly stated that there would be one final post before they were actually available. Sorry Bene Elim and ZeeToo, but the gladiators were not yet free when you made your posts.

:siren:However, they are now free to be claimed!:siren:

The available choices are:

El Tigre (kobold)

roctavian (serpent man)

Shootey McShootalot (elf)

Note that each of these now-independent warriors had impressive victories over larger opponents in their first match!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Shootey McShootalot.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Then this time I'll grab El Tigre. :D

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Let's rock roctavian! :black101:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Bene Elim posted:

I hereby claim El Tigre for the glory of Krysm's Kobold Farm!
Because I wasn't planning on grabbing him myself?

ZeeToo posted:

Then this time I'll grab El Tigre. :D
:argh: Too late.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alright! Everything is in order, then. Just waiting on Jazzimus (who is still finishing up a move) so we can transfer ownership.

Until ownership is officially transferred over, the original managers can still pop up and reclaim their warriors. :)

Edit: The password resets and ownership transfers will probably occur on Tuesday.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 19, 2011

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Oh gods loving damnit. Twenty five minutes yearly! VOX MEEEEEE! :argh:

Eh, oh well. Lets get back to some dismemberment. Just what I need for this yuletide season.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
Wow I totally forgot about this thread, what happened with my kobold?

Going to read through the thread tomorrow just got off a 4 hour train ride.

Edit: Do I still have time to manage my character? Just noticed the email, was flagged as spam. sorry!
Edit: gently caress it, reading now. Thread is too interesting, sleep can wait.

reclaimed my character.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 20, 2011

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

arca posted:

Wow I totally forgot about this thread, what happened with my kobold?

Going to read through the thread tomorrow just got off a 4 hour train ride.

Edit: Do I still have time to manage my character? Just noticed the email, was flagged as spam. sorry!
Edit: gently caress it, reading now. Thread is too interesting, sleep can wait.

reclaimed my character.

Sorry ZeeToo, looks like you're out of luck.

AJ_Impy and Clockwork Gadget will get ownership of their new fighters as soon as Jazzimus is free to make the changes, at which point they will be locked in.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Vox Nihili posted:

Sorry ZeeToo, looks like you're out of luck.

Ah, well. Pity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I'll try to get the password resets done tonight... just arrived at my new home and will have to work with the moving company most of the day today to place furniture and stuff.

• Locked thread