Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
I think it will help make the game look more flashy to passerby's I don't think it will be that much different game play wise, except it will probably be hard to do really good combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I think it will help make the game look more flashy to passerby's I don't think it will be that much different game play wise, except it will probably be hard to do really good combos.

I don't think the infinite prevention mechanism will help make the game more flashy, but it's definitely a nice selling point to be able to say "yeah we can guarantee the game won't have any infinites" though.

Of course that's assuming nobody figures out how to setup for a guaranteed reset loop, which seems like a possibility!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Of course that's assuming nobody figures out how to setup for a guaranteed reset loop, which seems like a possibility!

There are no unblockable moves or high/low unblockables, so that's trying to be prevented as well.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jmcrofts posted:

There are no unblockable moves or high/low unblockables, so that's trying to be prevented as well.

Air throws?

vvvv :doh: Yeah, I'm not thinking right now.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PalmTreeFun posted:

Air throws?

Air throws are techable.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Jmcrofts posted:

Any untechable AA grabs or other stuff similar to Heat Knuckle or She-Hulk's throw super?

But yes I'll be interested to see how resets work out and how the defensive options work with them. I know guaranteed 50/50s are an obvious tool in this game, so it'll be interesting to see how characters can setup and avoid them entirely.

Edit: Also I guess that means you can block everything from the air right? Even ground normals and all that. Which is not surprising but it's good to know.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Any untechable AA grabs or other stuff similar to Heat Knuckle or She-Hulk's throw super?

But yes I'll be interested to see how resets work out and how the defensive options work with them. I know guaranteed 50/50s are an obvious tool in this game, so it'll be interesting to see how characters can setup and avoid them entirely.

Edit: Also I guess that means you can block everything from the air right? Even ground normals and all that. Which is not surprising but it's good to know.

Mike Z mentioned in the SRK thread that Cerebella does have a Heat Knuckle type move, but it's only unblockable if they're not in blockstun or jumping in any direction but back or something.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yes you can block anything from the air.

The only ground-to-air throws (that I can think of at least) are Painwheel's long range throws (which are all blockable) and Cerebella's falling sky/heat knuckle type move, which is only unblockable if they are moving up. That way you can use it to punish jump out attempts, but not to do inescapable setups on incoming characters or other shenanigans.

Cerebella also has an air-to-air command throw, but it is techable (with half the tech window of a normal throw).

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Jmcrofts posted:

Yes you can block anything from the air.

The only ground-to-air throws (that I can think of at least) are Painwheel's long range throws (which are all blockable) and Cerebella's falling sky/heat knuckle type move, which is only unblockable if they are moving up. That way you can use it to punish jump out attempts, but not to do inescapable setups on incoming characters or other shenanigans.

Cerebella also has an air-to-air command throw, but it is techable (with half the tech window of a normal throw).

Guessing "moving up" does not including teching out then, lol.

But yeah I remember having this chat with Mike Z ages ago and he conceded that low/throw style unblockable setups actually were possible in the engine, IE basically you do a command throw and then 1-2F later your assist hits low. That was a long time ago though so I wouldn't be surprised if that has changed since then.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Guessing "moving up" does not including teching out then, lol.

But yeah I remember having this chat with Mike Z ages ago and he conceded that low/throw style unblockable setups actually were possible in the engine, IE basically you do a command throw and then 1-2F later your assist hits low. That was a long time ago though so I wouldn't be surprised if that has changed since then.

I definitely remember Mike talking about this but I'm not sure what solution he came to for it, if any.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I think he was toying with the idea of making pre-block throw invincible but I haven't asked him about it since, around May.

It may end up being a complete non-issue, but the fact that teching is automatic and non-controllable gives me a fair number of ideas to play with.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think he was toying with the idea of making pre-block throw invincible but I haven't asked him about it since, around May.

It may end up being a complete non-issue, but the fact that teching is automatic and non-controllable gives me a fair number of ideas to play with.

Pre-block can't be throw invincible because then kara throws always whiff. This was actually a bug for a long time in development until we figured it out.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
Valentine was playable at in SKullgirls at SCR today - I can definitely see why they didn't want her in for the tourney though, half of her moves don't seem to do anything yet, her throw doesn't work (it only has the whiff animation, can't actually grab anyone), only has one super that does anything, can't set a custom assist, etc. as such i can't give a super great idea of how she plays - plus i didn't play her that much - but I will say what I can I guess!!

surprisingly floaty jump, airdash goes only up-forward (like Skrull in marvel basically). Has a lot of normals with good range - jump HK she throws a corpse in a body bag at them and it's really floaty and great for hitting air-to-ground it seems. the standing normal where she pulls out the IV thingy (HP I think??) seems real good too. She has a dashing command grab (qbc+throw) that does no damage but can start combos. The only super that worked right now was one where she threw a ton of knife/synringe/whatevers.

Moves that didn't seem to do anything yet were something where she throws something maybe and then a biohazard sign happens around her? Maybe this gives her some sort of poison buff or something? Couldn't tell. She also had a super where she did something with a defibrillator but it didn't seem to work. I probably "should" have spent more time with her but i was trying to work on my Painwheel, sorry!!! If crofts or anyone who was at SCR can explain any of this any better please feel free.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Mike is currently toying with the idea of the poison syringes adding input lag-- like the Online options in Marvel 3's training mode. Something besides the usual draining health. You have to load the syringe with poison before throwing it to get an effect.

Supposedly, and I can't say my source on this, but supposedly, the defibrilator super revives dead characters.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!

Nerokerubina posted:

Skullgirls Stuff

Dang, really? Valentine was playable today? I brought my setup and was playing SF all day before I left so I didn't get a chance to check it out.

I'll throw in my 2 cents about SkullGirls too:

I played mainly Parasoul/Ms. Fortune, and from what I can tell those two characters are pretty good. I was fond of Ms. Fortune's s.MP (with her head) as an assist, it's a multi-hitting normal with surprisingly good horizontal range. Parasoul's j.HP is a really good air normal, imagine if Makoto's axe kick was faster and a normal. Ms. Fortune has a lot of really good poo poo with her head, controlling it is gonna be a big factor in playing her well.

People are gonna see a LOT of week-one Peacock poo poo. No one so far can outzone her besides another Peacock, and her runaway is easy.

Other misc. stuff: Throw tech window seems really strict, the other people I played with complained of that too. I couldn't seem to cancel Ms. Fortunes airdash into anything, but that was probably just me. The game looks amazing in person, everyone needs to fuckin' buy it cuz it owns hard

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

UberChair posted:

Other misc. stuff: Throw tech window seems really strict, the other people I played with complained of that too.

It's really funny, the throw tech window is exactly the same as Third Strike's, on purpose, because of the difficulty.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Broken Loose posted:

It's really funny, the throw tech window is exactly the same as Third Strike's, on purpose, because of the difficulty.

Third strike didn't have massive combos that started off throws so I can definitely see the rationale for making it a few frames longer.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm the saltiest of the salty motherfuckers now. Why did I had this brilliant idea to get a new controller, now my muscle memory is all hosed up and I can't do half the poo poo I need to do to win with Rose. I'm losing to terrible players and they are farming me for points, this sucks. At least it's easier to play charge characters now and I'm getting my Guile on.

Now posted in the correct place for bitching. Ugh. I feel like punching someone in the face right now.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/18/xiaohai-bests-poongko-and-sako-to-win-chinese-ssf4ae-tournament-also-featuring-mike-ross-and-combofiend/

Holy poo poo, this is hilarious. Chris Hu did an interview like 2 years ago telling this insane rear end story about this unbeatable chinese KOF player named LITTLE BOY (or CHILD).

It sounded pretty bogus and just like some of his Chinese nationalism bursting at the seams- if I understand correctly, that exact player, LITTLE BOY, won that huge AE tournament that combofiend and mike ross went to. :tinfoil:

edit-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBU37MjdNiU#t=00m45s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82dV72WIp-4#t=02m38s

If anyone hasn't heard the story, here it is. This is 2 years ago and Hu was saying that CHILD is the greatest FG player of all time.

Also his background story sounds crazy as hell. His father would bring him to the arcade and beat him mercilessly every time he lost.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 19, 2011

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Yeah, that kid's been a top kof player for years now as I understand. He's one of the only foreigners to win SBO, IIRC. And yes, that's the same kid who just won the China tournament.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

40 OZ posted:

Also his background story sounds crazy as hell. His father would bring him to the arcade and beat him mercilessly every time he lost.

Son, you better hope to God you hit those 1 frame links OR I'M GETTING THE loving BELT.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lord Chumley posted:

Son, you better hope to God you hit those 1 frame links OR I'M GETTING THE loving BELT.

Execute or be executed. Your choice.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Dias posted:

Execute or be executed. Your choice.

You got 6th at Evo? OUT OF MY HOUSE!

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

40 OZ posted:

A star is born :japan:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Lord Chumley posted:

You got 6th at Evo? OUT OF MY HOUSE!

No Phoenix snap-in until they had 4 bars? I HAVE NO SON!!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

40 OZ posted:

No way dude.

When I was in middleschool a boy in my class claimed that his father will burn his hands if he fails the exam. He failed and nothing happened. Kids are just attention whores like that.

(I hope I'm right)

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

No way dude.

When I was in middleschool a boy in my class claimed that his father will burn his hands if he fails the exam. He failed and nothing happened. Kids are just attention whores like that.

(I hope I'm right)

Counterpoint: China.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

No way dude.

(I hope I'm right)

That would be totally relevant if his dad was next to him during the exam, and then burned his hands in a public area when he got the grades back.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

40 OZ posted:

http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/18/xiaohai-bests-poongko-and-sako-to-win-chinese-ssf4ae-tournament-also-featuring-mike-ross-and-combofiend/

Holy poo poo, this is hilarious. Chris Hu did an interview like 2 years ago telling this insane rear end story about this unbeatable chinese KOF player named LITTLE BOY (or CHILD).

It sounded pretty bogus and just like some of his Chinese nationalism bursting at the seams- if I understand correctly, that exact player, LITTLE BOY, won that huge AE tournament that combofiend and mike ross went to. :tinfoil:

edit-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBU37MjdNiU#t=00m45s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82dV72WIp-4#t=02m38s

If anyone hasn't heard the story, here it is. This is 2 years ago and Hu was saying that CHILD is the greatest FG player of all time.

Xiaohai has been around for a while, I think anyone who follows KOF knew who Chris was talking about when that video first came out.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Gamest Mook posted:

Xiaohai has been around for a while, I think anyone who follows KOF knew who Chris was talking about when that video first came out.

Yeah i figured that seeing as he won SBO but i'm an american and i don't follow KOF's international scene closely.

I think it is safe to say that is true for most american FG players

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 20, 2011

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I'm interested in getting an arcade stick and I've been doing a lot of reading online, but it seems the one stick that keeps getting recommended for beginners (Mad Caz SE) has gone from ~60$ to ~120$.
Are there any good ones in the 50-70$ price range?
I'm not quite comfortable in paying hundreds for an arcade stick since I'm not quite sure how I will like playing with one. Though I do understand the quality is much better in the more pricy ones.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Pick up a Mad Catz WWE Brawl Stick or a Hori VX or EX 2. The MadCatz has silly cartoon pictures of The Rock and Hulk Hogan on it but it's easy to mod and has good components, while the Hori sticks are harder to mod but are ten bucks cheaper, have decent build quality and less silly pictures of Wrasslin.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
Yeah, the Gameshark Store site still has Brawlsticks (it's a SE but with wrestling men like ZackHoagie said) at about 80 bux.

I'd double check a Fry's, a Best Buy, places like those in case you aren't so hot on buying things online.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Thanks for the quick answers. I'd like it to be little hassle as possible so I would rather not get into modding, at least not yet. Both of the Hori sticks seem to be for 360? The V3 is the VX equilevant for the PS3 it seems, I'm assuming its the same thing but just works with a different console?
Though I might have to just get the Brawlstick and stare at wrestling dudes, unless the artwork is really easy to change.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Modding isn't the dirty word you're making it out to be, it's more like replacing buttons and joysticks. And yeah, the V3 is the PS3 equivalent. As for the artwork on the brawlstick, you can take it off, but replacing it is kind of difficult.

ZackHoagie fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 20, 2011

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

rivals posted:

Yeah, that kid's been a top kof player for years now as I understand. He's one of the only foreigners to win SBO, IIRC. And yes, that's the same kid who just won the China tournament.

I'm pretty sure he's the singular only non-JP player to win at SBO. Unless I've been misinformed.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I think Koreans have won Tekken before?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Gamest Mook posted:

I think Koreans have won Tekken before?

Ah yeah, Wikipedia tells me Nin won Tekken in 05

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
stick chat!
I got a qanba and I dont know how to open it from the front. The screw holes like on the TE are blocked off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Nerokerubina posted:

Third strike didn't have massive combos that started off throws so I can definitely see the rationale for making it a few frames longer.

3rd Strikes window was pretty large though. I guess I'm used to GG/MB tech windows too much.

• Locked thread