Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

User0015 posted:

What I'm wondering is: In the Manga, has this happened for any of the characters? Has anyone actually had their lifelong wish granted? That was the reason they became crew members in the first place, so I wonder if that's something that will happen as the series goes on.

The manga hasnt even left fishman island yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

Two years on that island really hosed with his head.

This. If you watched that scene and thought it was anything other than a joke about Sanji being stupid, I don't know what to tell you.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

KoB posted:

The manga hasnt even left fishman island yet.

This. The manga isn't that far ahead really, it never gets that far ahead.

Happy-Go-Lilac
Dec 19, 2007

Happy to be here.

WhiffleballDude posted:

Become Pirate King
Become World's Strongest Swordsman
Find All-Blue
Become a brave warrior of the sea, reunite with his father
Chart a map of the world
Find a cure for any illness
Find Rio Poneglyph
Build a dream ship that sails around the world
Reunite with Laboon

Franky's dream was sort of half-accomplished already, so I think his may have changed to being there as it does the sailing/keeping it maintained. Possibly.

I'd say that Usopp's half way done with his also, just needs to meet up with Yasopp and swap awesome stories.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thousand Sunny hasn't sailed around the world yet.

bondster
May 6, 2007

New One Piece film in 2012, Oda is Executive Producer

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

1) I hope it's not another 3D computer generated film.

2) I hope it's set post time skip.

3) I hope it has manga tie ins like Strong World.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Liar posted:

1) I hope it's not another 3D computer generated film.

2) I hope it's set post time skip.

3) I hope it has manga tie ins like Strong World.

quote:

the teaser said that the new film will be set in the manga and anime's ongoing New World Arc.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

KoB posted:

the teaser said that the new film will be set in the manga and anime's ongoing New World Arc.

Dreams do come true.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I really hope the Sanji having a nosebleed joke is dropped really soon. Its really getting overdone.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I really hope the Sanji having a nosebleed joke is dropped really soon. Its really getting overdone.
Sanji's my favorite Straw Hat, but yeah. Blood Transfusions into part of a whole arc.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think it's actually far less irritating than it was in the manga.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

gnome7 posted:

I like to think Franky is living his dream, while all the others are chasing a dream.

I'd say Luffy is living the dream too. He wants to find One Piece and become the Pirate King, sure, but it's the adventure in pursuing those objectives that he lives for.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

OrangeGuy posted:

I'd say Luffy is living the dream too. He wants to find One Piece and become the Pirate King, sure, but it's the adventure in pursuing those objectives that he lives for.

Sure, otherwise he'd just load up on a thousand gun-toting assholes to be his crew, avoid islands all together, and head in a straight line. Instead he picks people who appeal to him, picks fights with everyone who looks like they could level a mountain with a punch, and sets route to every stupid location no one else would bother with.

Liked the scene in the new episode where Luffy punches three fishmen so fast that his hand seemingly never moves. The fight scenes are why I watch the series. Yeah the manga's awesome, but you just can't get a feel for how stupidly awesome some of the moves these guys make are in a single panel vs. animated.

KoB
May 1, 2009

OrangeGuy posted:

He stated that his idea of the "Pirate King" is the man with the most freedom in the world. Hes been doing a pretty good job of that so far.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Liar posted:

Sure, otherwise he'd just load up on a thousand gun-toting assholes to be his crew, avoid islands all together, and head in a straight line. Instead he picks people who appeal to him, picks fights with everyone who looks like they could level a mountain with a punch, and sets route to every stupid location no one else would bother with.

Liked the scene in the new episode where Luffy punches three fishmen so fast that his hand seemingly never moves. The fight scenes are why I watch the series. Yeah the manga's awesome, but you just can't get a feel for how stupidly awesome some of the moves these guys make are in a single panel vs. animated.

Log Pose. That's why they can't skip. They haven't mentioned that in forever though.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Kingnothing posted:

Log Pose. That's why they can't skip. They haven't mentioned that in forever though.
I know it's convenient for the story and all but this always bothered me. Has no one ever invented a sextant in the One Piece universe? Do stars not exist?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Anony Mouse posted:

I know it's convenient for the story and all but this always bothered me. Has no one ever invented a sextant in the One Piece universe? Do stars not exist?

I dont think anyone has mapped the Grand Line before, so knowing the direction youre going wouldnt help if there werent island for thousands of miles. Thats sorta part Nami's dream.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

KoB posted:

I dont think anyone has mapped the Grand Line before, so knowing the direction youre going wouldnt help if there werent island for thousands of miles. Thats sorta part Nami's dream.

Plus it's been said that mapping it is impossible. The weather is insane, compasses don't work, currents change constantly, and whole islands shift around. Otherwise everyone would already have a map. Plus when you consider that the crew is just heading in a line it doesn't seem like Nami can really map all that much, but luckily for her this is One Piece and she'll succeed.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Also, there's a fairly high chance their Log Pose is the same one Roger used, since it was given to them by Dr, Krokus. So there's actually a sensible reason why they're literally following in Roger's footsteps! Odaaaaaaaa

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

DrakePegasus posted:

Also, there's a fairly high chance their Log Pose is the same one Roger used, since it was given to them by Dr, Krokus. So there's actually a sensible reason why they're literally following in Roger's footsteps! Odaaaaaaaa

I'm not sure about that. Roger would have been coming from East Blue anyway, so maybe it's only natural that they've shared a couple destinations, and the only places I'm aware of is Skypia and Water 7. Although it seems more likely that he didn't go to Skypia on his first pass, but rather came back that way since he'd seemingly mastered his Haki by then. Plus Roger would have had to travel to Krokus and then travel to turn himself in, so he would have needed a log pose.

But of course this is One Piece, so you'll probably end up being right.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Watched Movie 11 earlier, which I thought was pretty decent, mindless fun, but then I realized I haven't seen Movie 8 yet, so I went and watched that, too.

Wow.

I thought Movie 9 was the worst of the movies but Movie 8 does everything in it's power to be even worse.

The plot was chopped up and barely cohesive, making the whole movie move way too fast for it's own good, there was no flow to it, it's just hitting all the important points and skipping anything that was too complex to explain without dedicating some time to it, the Mr. Prince subplot is a great example but even stuff like why it started to rain at the end gets brushed under the rug.

But that's not why I'm disappointed, I entered into that movie with the understanding that they would butcher the story because it's a complex piece of work, took 70 episodes or so to tell the entire thing during the series, so I was mostly watching to see the fights get better animation and of course more Vivi, and if it delivered that I would, in fact, call it better than Movie 9.

Only it turns out the animation is horrible, like incredibly bad, even worse than what the anime already did, which isn't to say these fights in the anime were bad but rather that the anime didn't have a movie's budget or time so they should have been so much better here, but they weren't, they were awful, completely lacking in tension and action, and that's just sad.

Also the music was pretty poorly used, which is another slap in the face.

I'm just... kinda surprised, really, that it was that bad, I thought it was just the odd numbered movies that were bad, but this one... oh, man, it's terrible, easily the worst of the bunch by a wide margin, it has no sense of pacing, no sense of tension, no understanding of how to frame action, no feel for how the music could be used, lackluster animation and a rehashed story butchered beyond understanding...

And the funny thing is, I get the distinct impression that the guy who was put in charge of this movie was probably also involved in the anime's War of the Summit, which I really dislike for almost all the same reasons...

Meh, whatever, at least Oda's taking charge of Movie 12, so at least that one will be good and the pattern will only have one anomaly in it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Watched Movie 11 earlier, which I thought was pretty decent, mindless fun, but then I realized I haven't seen Movie 8 yet, so I went and watched that, too.

Wow.

I thought Movie 9 was the worst of the movies but Movie 8 does everything in it's power to be even worse.

The plot was chopped up and barely cohesive, making the whole movie move way too fast for it's own good, there was no flow to it, it's just hitting all the important points and skipping anything that was too complex to explain without dedicating some time to it, the Mr. Prince subplot is a great example but even stuff like why it started to rain at the end gets brushed under the rug.

But that's not why I'm disappointed, I entered into that movie with the understanding that they would butcher the story because it's a complex piece of work, took 70 episodes or so to tell the entire thing during the series, so I was mostly watching to see the fights get better animation and of course more Vivi, and if it delivered that I would, in fact, call it better than Movie 9.

Only it turns out the animation is horrible, like incredibly bad, even worse than what the anime already did, which isn't to say these fights in the anime were bad but rather that the anime didn't have a movie's budget or time so they should have been so much better here, but they weren't, they were awful, completely lacking in tension and action, and that's just sad.

Also the music was pretty poorly used, which is another slap in the face.

I'm just... kinda surprised, really, that it was that bad, I thought it was just the odd numbered movies that were bad, but this one... oh, man, it's terrible, easily the worst of the bunch by a wide margin, it has no sense of pacing, no sense of tension, no understanding of how to frame action, no feel for how the music could be used, lackluster animation and a rehashed story butchered beyond understanding...

And the funny thing is, I get the distinct impression that the guy who was put in charge of this movie was probably also involved in the anime's War of the Summit, which I really dislike for almost all the same reasons...

Meh, whatever, at least Oda's taking charge of Movie 12, so at least that one will be good and the pattern will only have one anomaly in it.

Yeah, 9 wasnt great but at least they took the existing fights and just added another on top, where 8 kinda just made them worse.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Liar posted:

I'm not sure about that. Roger would have been coming from East Blue anyway, so maybe it's only natural that they've shared a couple destinations, and the only places I'm aware of is Skypia and Water 7. Although it seems more likely that he didn't go to Skypia on his first pass, but rather came back that way since he'd seemingly mastered his Haki by then. Plus Roger would have had to travel to Krokus and then travel to turn himself in, so he would have needed a log pose.

But of course this is One Piece, so you'll probably end up being right.

My guess is that someone like Roger surpassed the need for a log pose once he reached one piece.

Or he dropped it off on his way to Logue town, as Krokus is right before it in the order of things.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Kingnothing posted:

My guess is that someone like Roger surpassed the need for a log pose once he reached one piece.

Or he dropped it off on his way to Logue town, as Krokus is right before it in the order of things.

It's hard to say if Haki could be used to the point of sensing where things are from a hundred miles away like that, but then again it's been established that Roger had some sort of sixth-sense when it came to poo poo like that.

Also if he went from Krokus to Logue Town then that would mean he went backwards up reverse mountain. That just seems funny somehow.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, if you can get through the calm belts, it would be pretty trivial to go around Reverse Mountain.

The two things stopping you going through the Calm Belts are:

- No wind/waves to propel you
- Giant gently caress-off sea monsters

Roger would clearly have no problem with the monsters, being the toughest motherfucker ever, and if he's had as many adventures as Luffy has, it's not inconceivable that, like the 1000 Sunny, his ship had some alternative propulsion methods.

But we're arguing a pretty trivial point.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Liar posted:

It's hard to say if Haki could be used to the point of sensing where things are from a hundred miles away like that, but then again it's been established that Roger had some sort of sixth-sense when it came to poo poo like that.

He did? Was that in anime, because I can't remember.

Also, while we're on this topic. It is assumed that he was the baddest motherfucker ever, but I don't remember anyone saying anyothing like "oh, yeah, Gold Roger, he beat that guy to a pulp, you wouldn't stand a chance!". It's always "ok, he was a Pirate King so he must have been badass, righ?". Or am I missing yet another mention of this?

E: I just watched the 3D movie and I totally dug the music. As far as the visual style is concerned... it was cool for a one time thing, but I prefer the classic style. Not to mention the story wasn't much interesting, either. What's the general opinion of it?

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 21, 2011

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

In that one bar at loguetown, that old guy lists a bunch of awesome things Gold Roger accomplished. Also, Garp was never able to capture him, and he is pretty strong.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

lordfrikk posted:

He did? Was that in anime, because I can't remember.

I mean like how on Skypia he could read the glyphs because he could "hear the voice of all things".

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

IShallRiseAgain posted:

In that one bar at loguetown, that old guy lists a bunch of awesome things Gold Roger accomplished. Also, Garp was never able to capture him, and he is pretty strong.

Filler!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Additionally Whitebeard in his Prime couldn't kick his rear end, and Leo, who was apparently super badass, got beat by him.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Gyges posted:

Additionally Whitebeard in his Prime couldn't kick his rear end, and Leo, who was apparently super badass, got beat by him.

Yeah, he smacked down Shiki along with his 51 vessels full of crews powerful enough to exist in the new world, and Roger only had one ship. Plus Roger also slaughtered Squardo's crew... I don't know how powerful they were though.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

DrakePegasus posted:

Wasn't that log pose left at Little Garden (or maybe even destroyed) since it would have needed a year to reset? I know they got from LG to Alabasta using a special log pose, at least.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

Who?

The name doesn't seem familiar, and googling "One Piece Leo", all I'm seeing is a wikia entry for a fillar character from Loguetown.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

tsob posted:

Who?

The name doesn't seem familiar, and googling "One Piece Leo", all I'm seeing is a wikia entry for a fillar character from Loguetown.

Shiki, from movie 10. It's cannon because Oda included it into the manga.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Liar posted:

Shiki, from movie 10. It's cannon because Oda included it into the manga.

Oh right, I just didn't realize Leo was refering to Shiki. Thanks.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

jassa posted:

Wasn't that log pose left at Little Garden (or maybe even destroyed) since it would have needed a year to reset? I know they got from LG to Alabasta using a special log pose, at least.

A. We don't know how long Roger was at Little Garden (if we even was). We don't know how long his journey lasted so he very likely could have been there a year (or never there at all).

B. It's not like you lose the log pose if you take an eternal pose to get off Little Garden. Your pose just gets reset at the next island.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

jassa posted:

Nope, they used it to get from Alabasta to Skypiea and to Water 7 and through Thriller Bark to Saobody and now under the sea to Fishman Island.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Kingnothing posted:

A. We don't know how long Roger was at Little Garden (if we even was). We don't know how long his journey lasted so he very likely could have been there a year (or never there at all).

B. It's not like you lose the log pose if you take an eternal pose to get off Little Garden. Your pose just gets reset at the next island.

No idea what point you're trying to make with A.

And yes I know the log pose would reset at the next island, but could have sworn the log pose they got from Crocus was smashed or lost at some point. Perhaps not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

jassa posted:

No idea what point you're trying to make with A.

And yes I know the log pose would reset at the next island, but could have sworn the log pose they got from Crocus was smashed or lost at some point. Perhaps not.

The Log Pose that they got from Mr. 9 and Ms. Wednesday broke. The one they got from Crocus is still on Nami's wrist.