Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Thufir posted:

I'm going to be in Virginia next week and I was thinking of taking my hockey stuff and hitting up a drop-in at some point. Anybody have any input on rinks in Fairfax or down in Richmond? I'm sure open sessions will be crazy the holiday week.
I don't live around there anymore but your best bets in the Fairfax area are either Fairfax Ice Arena or Reston SkateQuest. Here's info for Fairfax and Reston. Looks like your best bet would be Fairfax.

I thought there was another rink somewhere near Chantilly but I can't find it on Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I haven't played much up north in five or six years, but Fairfax used to be poo poo, especially for hockey. Reston was much, much nicer and had more hockey. Ashburn is also nice if you're out that way.

Richmond has two full size rinks, one west in Short Pump and one south of the river in Chesterfield. It looks like there's a decent amount of pickup both places during the holiday weeks.

edit: Totally forgot about Kettler, the Capitals practice rink in Arlington. Supposed to be very nice, though I've never had a chance to check it out. I moved before it was built.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 19, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
This is in someones barn

Hopefully I'm rich enough to do this one day:smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I met a restaurant owner this weekend who said he turned his basement into a rink.. with boards and everything. I'm sure it's fairly small, but probably good for stick handling type practice.

He is a role model for us all.. walking downstairs and having ice? loving awesome.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ManicJason posted:

but Fairfax used to be poo poo, especially for hockey.

Its like a parking lot after an ice storm.

I've only seen, like, exactly four rinks in my entire life. And...you know how you don't need to be a car expert to look at a Yugo and go "what a piece of poo poo?" Yeah, its like that.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Its not ice (because its socal)

But my parents backyard has an awesome treated concrete setup.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Sash! posted:

Its like a parking lot after an ice storm.

I've only seen, like, exactly four rinks in my entire life. And...you know how you don't need to be a car expert to look at a Yugo and go "what a piece of poo poo?" Yeah, its like that.
Haha I guess I have rose-tinted glasses cause I'm remembering skating on it as a kid and I didn't think it was that bad. Though I only ever skated on it during public skate and never tried to play hockey on it.

edit: Also goddamn you DC for having parents who have enough disposable income to puck a mini-rink in your back hard, so jealous :argh:

real_scud fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 20, 2011

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

real_scud posted:

Haha I guess I have rose-tinted glasses cause I'm remembering skating on it as a kid and I didn't think it was that bad. Though I only ever skated on it during public skate and never tried to play hockey on it.

Its serviceable enough for public skating, but its noticeably worse than equivalent facilities back home in the North.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Thanks for the VA rink recs. I went to a public skate at the Richmond West End / Short Pump (Skatenation?) rink last year but all I remember about it was that the ice was pretty hosed up by the Zamboni door and it didn't look like they had locker rooms.

e: I live in Tennessee so I'm sure I'm not accustomed to exceptional ice.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Anyone ever head to drop-in with a weight vest? Thoughts? Comments?

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011

poser posted:

We have 16 leagues so 2-3 down is not as bad as it seems.

Yeah we have a couple guys playing a few leagues down on our team and they're not ridiculously better than the average.

There's one team with a dude apparently playing in EEE down from CCC. That's eight leagues down. :downs: He got a match for kicking one of our guys after taking a (admittedly illegal) hit. The hit was called a penalty and then the dude just kicks our guy. Then he came up to our guy after the game and told him he'd remember him for next time.

Beer league :allears:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

I loving love it when things come together for your team and you can come back from a 3-0 deficit in the first to win 6-4.

I got 2 goals, including the game winner and should've had a 3rd had my shot not literally rolled along the goal line on a breakaway shorthanded attempt :argh:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Thufir posted:

it didn't look like they had locker rooms.

They certainly have locker rooms at every rink I've ever been to. The ones in Skatenation are sort of tucked away between the bleachers to the left.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WouldDesk posted:

I think I am glad you posted it

Here, I'll quickly end your glad-ness:
http://deadspin.com/5869819/if-youre-ready-we-now-have-a-photo-of-that-pooped+in-hockey-glove

quote:

<PICTURE OF POOPED IN GLOVE>
"We played the following Friday in the same rink and got the same bench, and lo-and-behold, the glove was still there. The ref had tossed it in the trash barrel during our game, but you can imagine what happened…'Hey, there's a new-looking glove in the trash! That can't be right! Let me just grab this…ugh!' I can imagine that it must have happened multiple times during the week."

The best part is the [Dump And Chase] tag they use for the story.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

D C posted:

Its not ice (because its socal)

But my parents backyard has an awesome treated concrete setup.

Our apartment complex has one right across the street :cool:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ha ha, people in the south have to skate on concrete.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

Ha ha, people in the south have to skate on concrete.

Northern California is not the south.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Topoisomerase posted:

Northern California is not the south.

Sacramento is south of the Mason Dixon Line so

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I snapped the blade on my 52 Cal at pickup last night. There went a fine stick. :(

I really want to get a couple more of these but the ROCK BOTTOM PRICES on the S19s and X60s right now are making this decision difficult. Also, Tron poo poo looks really interesting.

DECISIONS DECISIONS

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sash! posted:

I generally consider anything south of the 49th parallel to be the "south" but since I grew up north of it, perhaps I'm biased.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Sash! posted:

While the people back east were squabbling over that crap California basically belonged to Spain so we don't want your stupid distinctions here. :colbert:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Topoisomerase posted:

While the people back east were squabbling over that crap California basically belonged to Spain so we don't want your stupid distinctions here. :colbert:

California had been a state for years at that point :v:

And I didn't even know humans could live north of the 49th parallel, unless they were some sort of hybrid walrus-human.

In real stuff that is not off-topic, what do I need to know about keeping my skates cleaned and maintained because I know nothing at all.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Sash! posted:

In real stuff that is not off-topic, what do I need to know about keeping my skates cleaned and maintained because I know nothing at all.

Get a towel and wipe the steel off after you use them and get some soakers to put on them when you're not using them. Get them sharpened every few games.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also take out your insoles every game when you take them out of your bag to dry immediately after you get home.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And always look before you step because most rinks have random spots that will put a nick in your blade.. either holes in the rubber or metal bumps.

Or get a set of plastic guards to walk around in.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

sellouts posted:

Also take out your insoles every game when you take them out of your bag to dry immediately after you get home.
Yeah, a lot of people neglect this, but the insoles will actually rust the screws on the bottom of the boot.

And I still stand by my personal experience that leaving on soakers will do the opposite and rust the steel, not prevent it. I dry the steel good, put on soakers, then take them off when I get home. Never have a problem with rust, but did when I left the soakers on.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

I snapped the blade on my 52 Cal at pickup last night. There went a fine stick. :(

I really want to get a couple more of these but the ROCK BOTTOM PRICES on the S19s and X60s right now are making this decision difficult. Also, Tron poo poo looks really interesting.

DECISIONS DECISIONS

Also take a look at the SherWood T90s. Cheap stick. Great quality.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Picked up a new helmet because my Bauer 4500 was getting a bit small width-wise on me.

I ended up buying an Easton E700, and let me say, it's the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. I've been wearing CCM and Bauer helmets most of my 20 years playing.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Not necessarily hockey-related (more skating), but out in my area we recently got a skating trail and it is pretty cool. Here's an article and video on it. http://www.thestar.com/news/article/917950--ice-trail-is-like-a-walk-in-the-park-on-skates (It was put in last year, as the article is from then)

It does get pretty cold because it's right on Lake Ontario, but it's pretty cool overall.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I really like my S19 but my sweat just leaks into my face, so I keep going back to my 4500

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

D C posted:

I really like my S19 but my sweat just leaks into my face, so I keep going back to my 4500
The 4500 is pretty much what I've worn for the past 7 years, and I'm hitting the ice tomorrow so I'll follow up on whether or not it's an issue for me.

I nearly bought an S19 instead, but the shape of my head didn't quite jive with it and it seemed to be pressing down on the very top of it.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 23, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

MagicCube posted:

Not necessarily hockey-related (more skating), but out in my area we recently got a skating trail and it is pretty cool.

my god i'd be on that every day for a long time if I could be.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

sellouts posted:

my god i'd be on that every day for a long time if I could be.

It's only about a 10 minute walk away, so on days when I don't feel like running or other cardio I go out there and skate and it feels a lot less like a workout and much more fun.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

shyguy posted:

The 4500 is pretty much what I've worn for the past 7 years, and I'm hitting the ice tomorrow so I'll follow up on whether or not it's an issue for me.

I nearly bought an S19 instead, but the shape of my head didn't quite jive with it and it seemed to be pressing down on the very top of it.

Are they not the same thing?

My other problem with it is that its a bit to big front to back and slides down my head a bit.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The E700 from what I can tell is a refined version of the S19. The big noticeable difference is the adjustment systems are different. They definitely feel different on my head.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How do you dudes stow your skates?

Typically after I take the skate off, I leave the laces loose so the next time I skate it goes on quick. But after my last sharpening, the guy at the skate store tightened everything up and wrapped excess lace around the ankle area to close the boot off.

This apparently did a lot to reshape the skate over five days, because even after I loosened the laces tonight I really had to stuff my foot into the skate.. usually it slips right on. Took about 10 minutes of skating before I settled in, though I swear I felt some new chafing at the knob of my big toe.

So I'm wondering if there's some technical reason to tighten the laces when not in use, or if it's just one of those things that everyone does different.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

He probably did that so they were out of the way when he was sharpening them if there is enough lace to wrap around the ankles?

I leave mine loose because there isnt enough lace to wrap around the ankle, nor would I want to do that! Also my skates are really stiff so tightening the laces isn't really going to affect shape

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Take out the top two eyelets, loosen everything up, store upside down with the tongues open.

Thats what I do anyway, used to hang them from a tree but I dont have one anymore.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

shyguy posted:

The E700 from what I can tell is a refined version of the S19. The big noticeable difference is the adjustment systems are different. They definitely feel different on my head.

I've been loving my e700, and matte black is pimp. Its so drat comfortable, I was coming from a 4500 and Rbk 6k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So Cal goons -- let's get together for a drop in next week. Looks like there isn't poo poo at Anaheim Ice, KHS, or Toyota Sports Center. My Tuesday night drop in at Burbank is cancelled.

Pickwick has some stuff on Tuesday during the day. But that isn't that close to anyone who would usually skate at Anaheim.

Maybe Tuesday at Bay Harbor? It looks like we gotta email the guy which I can do. Not sure of what levels these drop in are.

Acethomas, you in? DC? Anyone else around for it? Does daytime work?