Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leyton house
Nov 21, 2011

by Fistgrrl

jvick posted:

Blasphemy! I'm 27 and would rock the A7 all day long... Walk into a dealer and just sit in one and tell me you wouldn't. If you can test drive one and tell me you wouldn't, I'd take away your AI card...

It wouldn't be my first choice.

Or my 20th choice.

Basically until I have children I see no reason in buying anything but sports cars/sports coupes. Stupid friends can be uncomfortable in the back, I don't sit back there son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

leyton house posted:

Basically until I have children I see no reason in buying anything but sports cars/sports coupes. Stupid friends can be uncomfortable in the back, I don't sit back there son.
I don't know, if you like the styling, you don't have to give up having a fun/fast car by buying something "sensible". Audi RS6 Avant, for example. I think it looks better than the same company's TT, and you can carry 2.4 kids and a labrador at about mach 1.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

InitialDave posted:

I don't know, if you like the styling, you don't have to give up having a fun/fast car by buying something "sensible". Audi RS6 Avant, for example. I think it looks better than the same company's TT, and you can carry 2.4 kids and a labrador at about mach 1.

Forester XT is still my favorite labrador and child sub-orbital launch vehicle.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Throatwarbler posted:

Maybe it's more correct to call the A7 a "liftback". This is far more time than I've ever spent thinking about these boring old man cars.

haha so true

On top of that I don't care about them as they will be nightmare-fuel basket-cases by the time they're 10 years old and affordable. (ugly ones at that)

aventari fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 15, 2011

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

This is far more time than I've ever spent thinking about these boring old man cars.

Clearly an old man car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va8RFux4kGY

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Mr.Peabody posted:

Clearly an old man car.

Well, I guess you could also say that it is a young woman who marries a rich old man's car.

I want to drive one, but I won't be able to afford to drive one until I'm at the age that the g-forces exerted would upset my pace maker :(.

zakiu
Oct 21, 2001

Mr.Peabody posted:

Clearly an old man car.

lol the "track scenes" in this video cracked me up. the cls 63 - the ultimate car for when you want to coast around a race track at 60% speed in absolute comfort and press buttons at the same time in the lap of luxury. i laughed out loud thinking of what kind of person would fall for that ad

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

zakiu posted:

lol the "track scenes" in this video cracked me up. the cls 63 - the ultimate car for when you want to coast around a race track at 60% speed in absolute comfort and press buttons at the same time in the lap of luxury. i laughed out loud thinking of what kind of person would fall for that ad

The CLS isn't the fastest AMG on the track, but it's actually capable. I took my dealership's CLS 550 to the track when I was in Germany and it definitely didn't handle like a boat and that wasn't even with the AMG setup. A CPO'd CLS 63 is surprisingly affordable.. I was about to buy one last year, but I decided to get married and spent the money on our wedding.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005
Audi's R8 replacement. I really hope a lot of this isn't true since it's still a few years off:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/Audi-R8-2014-Audis-plan-to-replace-its-mid-engined-supercar/

quote:

Audi R8 (2014): Audi's plan to replace its mid-engined supercar
By Georg Kacher (artist's impression by Motor Forecast/R Varicak)

Spy shots

19 December 2011 09:20

Audi is gearing up to replace the R8 supercar in spring 2014 and the next R8 is tipped to follow an evolutionary look, as depicted in our new artist's impression.

But it's not the first change to the R8. Later in 2012, Audi will give the R8 a mild facelift and tech update. It will be fitted with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission instead of the sequential six-speeder, the improved MMI hard- and software we know from the latest A6, the power output of the V10 increases from 525bhp to 540bhp, and at the end of 2012 the limited-edition electric RSe will satisfy those Prius owners who crave a bit more zero-emission grunt.

Audi R8: the new 2014 Audi supercar
In early 2014, Audi will replace the R8 and the second-generation German supercar pursues an evolutionary styling theme. According to the Ingolstadt grapevine, the sideblades and the manual transmission disappear, the packaging is a little more generous here and there, and the MMI system switches to a single multi-functional colour monitor positioned between speedometer and rev counter.

Plenty of new tech will be sprinkled on the new R8. A head-up display will be available as an option and the redesigned lights are variable-intensity LED units.

Carbon and aluminium for the next 2014 R8
The current 100% aluminium-based ASF structure gives way to a multi-material mix on the new R8, introducing carbonfibre for the rear firewall, the transmission tunnel and the B-posts that double-act as rollover protection elements.

This approach makes the body in white 24 kilos lighter and 13% stiffer, CAR understands. The total kerbweight is expected to tumble by a stout 100kg.

Engines in the new Audi R8
While the base model remains loyal to the naturally aspirated V8 good for 450bhp, the power output of the V10 version goes up to 550bhp. Mid-term, the relatively thirsty if charismatic ten-cylinder may give way to a turbocharged 4.0-litre V8 good for 600bhp; the latter is the same engine you'll find in the Audi S8 and, soon, the Bentley Continental GT.

One year after the R8 coupe, the new R8 Spyder should be ready to charm the in-crowd with a launch in 2015.

The new R8, and its Lamborghini twin, the Gallardo replacement coming in 2013, will both stick with the MSS (modular sports car system) architecture masterminded by Audi. But the generation after that will be part of MSB-M (modular rear-wheel drive maxtrix, mid-engined variant) conceived by Porsche.

Getting rid of the manual transmission? Terrible =/ The picture looks good but doesn't really look distinct to me anymore. The current R8 is awesome because it doesn't have the same style as many of the other supercars out there. This picture makes it look a lot like every other exotic wedge. (can't rehost at work so picture is in link)

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

asmallrabbit posted:

Audi's R8 replacement. I really hope a lot of this isn't true since it's still a few years off:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/Audi-R8-2014-Audis-plan-to-replace-its-mid-engined-supercar/

Getting rid of the manual transmission? Terrible =/ The picture looks good but doesn't really look distinct to me anymore. The current R8 is awesome because it doesn't have the same style as many of the other supercars out there. This picture makes it look a lot like every other exotic wedge. (can't rehost at work so picture is in link)

The picture is just a photoshop of the e-tron, don't give it a second thought.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
So a flyer came across my desk today.

Even if it is my daily driver and I don't do the AC delete and I only take it to the track once every couple months for fun, $2600 seems like a good deal, no?

You can read about the fully prepped car here: http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2300/killer-bs-honda-and-mazda-to-release-b-segment-racers.aspx

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not bad, depending on how good the coil overs actually are, but since they're bilstein it's probably worth it. That's what you're paying for basically, the rest of the stuff doesn't add up to much. The A/C delete is just a pulley and a belt.

God Dammit I want a Mazda2 twice as bad now :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I found this rather odd.

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/chevrolet/orlando/overview

A 7 seater based on the chevy cruze, built in korea, and it's being sold in canada, but not the US or mexico.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
They were supposed to be bringing the Orlando to the US, I wonder what happened to that.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

I found this rather odd.

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/chevrolet/orlando/overview

A 7 seater based on the chevy cruze, built in korea, and it's being sold in canada, but not the US or mexico.

Canadians are more receptive to smaller vans like the Kia Rondo and Mazda5 (and Dodge Caravans :canada:).

EDIT: If you look at figures prior to the Orlando's introduction, you can see that Orlando sales which are significant mostly ate into Dodge Caravan market share.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 24, 2011

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

asmallrabbit posted:

Getting rid of the manual transmission?

As much as I love manual transmissions, there's no real reason to have one over a very good automatic transmission as I assume the R8 would be equipped with, assuming you can force it into full manual mode. Of the things I like about driving stick, having to use the clutch is really, really low on the list.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Q_res posted:

They were supposed to be bringing the Orlando to the US, I wonder what happened to that.
Canada is sometimes the test market for GMs that come to the US later, like the Pontiac Pursuit becoming the G5, etc.

Last year at our local auto show they had a semi-production Orlando and I really liked it. Nice size, nice interior, with a stick shift and a reasonable Ecotec. I'm hoping the production version is the same way so I can give it a test drive, though it's certainly not the kind of car I'm looking to buy.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 24, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Huh. You can really get it with a stick shift on all trim levels except LTZ. The 2.4l DI engine is pretty good, out powers and out torques the 2.5l in the Mazda5, gets about the same fuel economy and is cheaper too. For a 7 seater van this is surprisingly appealing.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

zakiu posted:

What's so lol about it? Granted, the footage could've been more exciting with some wheelspin or something but he's still pushing it pretty hard in a few of those shots. The whole point of the ad and the AMG brand as a whole is that their cars are as stable and composed on the track as on the road. Maybe the abundant use of slow motion killed any sense of adrenaline the video could've had but honestly I think shooting the car doing a wicked powerslide is completely loving cliche and I applaud MB for going in the opposite direction. We already know the car is an absolute beast with 500+ hp, there's no reason to shove it down our throats.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Huh. You can really get it with a stick shift on all trim levels except LTZ. The 2.4l DI engine is pretty good, out powers and out torques the 2.5l in the Mazda5, gets about the same fuel economy and is cheaper too. For a 7 seater van this is surprisingly appealing.

With a manual hell yeah it is. Our HHR's Ecotec is a dog with the slushbox, but when I got to drive one with a manual I was surprised at how much more lively it felt. Excellent mpg too. Once the used HHR's start getting around 3k to 4k I might just nab one with a manual.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is this gonna make waves with gas prices?
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/27/30-year-old-corn-ethanol-subsidy-nixed-by-washington/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

kimbo305 posted:

Is this gonna make waves with gas prices?
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/27/30-year-old-corn-ethanol-subsidy-nixed-by-washington/

Over the short-term, possibly, but I doubt it will do so in a permanent sense. The one thing I noticed in the States when I was visiting was the frequency of "Flex Fuel" badges on the back of cars. That just doesn't happen in Canada, and I think, accounting for a difference in gas taxes, our prices aren't too much higher. With any luck, this will encourage development of non-corn ethanol production, which I think could be promising (or, at the very least, attractive in comparison to unsubsidized corn ethanol). Hopefully it will also help food prices, although that's not a huge concern for AI (at least no more so than the rest of humanity).

P.S. We have similar size concerns and love of trucks as the US, and we manage to make due with our higher gas prices (currently 1.05/L in Calgary for regular), so I wouldn't worry overmuch about wide-reaching effects of slightly higher gas prices.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 28, 2011

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Maybe I can direct my customers to gas that won't rapefuck their chainsaw or string trimmer in 18 months!

vvv Marathon was selling gas without ethanol for quite some time. I don't know what they were using instead.

Skyssx fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 28, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I wouldn't mind if gas got more expensive if they stop putting that poo poo in it, but I doubt that's what's going to happen.

E:^^^ Yeah my old fiat started springing gas leaks left and right once I had no choice but to put that blended stuff in it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I just saw a Hyundai Velostar at the post office today and drat it is a sexy little hatch. I wish they would offer it with the 270hp turbo engine in the Sonata though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

I just saw a Hyundai Velostar at the post office today and drat it is a sexy little hatch. I wish they would offer it with the 270hp turbo engine in the Sonata though.

I was really hoping the Veloster might be my next car, because I really like the 3 door aspect, and would love a hatch. Aside from it just being too short for my needs though, my problem was that it's underpowered. For my daily drive though the 270hp turbo wouldn't get good enough mileage. For something around that weight I'd love it right around 200 torque with maybe a little less hp.

I basically had the same problems with the new Focus. Now I'm just sort of waiting to see if Dodge brings back the Magnum.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

mod sassinator posted:

Velostar is on my next car list for sure as long as the turbo version actually happens.
I love the way it looks.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The Veloster was confirmed by Hyundai USA's CEO to be getting a 1.6 turbo and will be shown at NAIAS in a few weeks.

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows/detroit/2012/1112_2012_detroit_auto_show_hyundai_veloster_turbo/

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose

Lt Moose fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 4, 2016

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The Veloster was confirmed by Hyundai USA's CEO to be getting a 1.6 turbo and will be shown at NAIAS in a few weeks.

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows/detroit/2012/1112_2012_detroit_auto_show_hyundai_veloster_turbo/

Maybe it's just me but that looks pretty ugly

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I guess that works for me as it is better than nothing. 204HP should pep that thing up a bit. Now to hope they dont pull some auto only bullshit with it or something else silly.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Nodoze posted:

Maybe it's just me but that looks pretty ugly

Yeah I didn't care much for it until I saw it in person. It's small (by modern car standards) and looks a lot more agressive in reality. I thought it was a Lexus CT200h until I got close to it and saw the Hyundai badge.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Lt Moose posted:

Speaking of Hyundai, I spotted a Equus last week. It looked nice - I forgot Hyundai was making a luxury car, so as I got closer I was trying to figure out what make of car it was, then I saw the badge and remembered. It still had the dealer plates on it. Have these cars been out for a while or only just recently?

Out for a while. I see them from time to time on my commute. I see a lot of Genesis sedans too, especially in the higher class neighbourhoods where you also see a lot of MB and BMW type vehicles. I'm glad to see that the Hyundai badge is gaining more respect in that manner - they deserve it, honestly.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The new Chrysler 300 Executive series was unveiled a while back at one of the auto shows. Now high res photos are out.

Second one is the shifter for the 8 speed. It's the same ZF unit that Audi uses in the A8, so the shifter is the same.

The dash and seats are all "Poltrona Frau", which is apparently some high zoot stuff as there are Poltrona Frau edition Audi A8s and Maseratis.

I'm OK with it but they really should put some trim around the HVAC/Audi controls so it's not ovbiously the same unit as a Dodge Charger.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There's a bit too much wood for my taste, but other than that it looks pretty sharp.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.
The interior is amazing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I think the wood looks cheap and nasty, but other than that, it's pretty nice.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's not glossy so you can tell its real wood. I don't like wood panelling on most cars so don't feel strongly about it either way but at least it wont blind you in sunlight.

One exception is the new Infiniti M's wood panels. Line up the grain and it looks much more expensive.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

It's not glossy so you can tell its real wood. I don't like wood panelling on most cars so don't feel strongly about it either way but at least it wont blind you in sunlight.

It looks like the kitchen cabinets in a cheap vacation home circa 1960s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, get some burr walnut in there.