Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Tyorik posted:

So I'm stationed in South Korea right now and I'd really like to travel to Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, Angkor Wat and Bangkok (or as many of these as possible) while the airfare is cheap (as opposed to flying from the US). I thought about going through a tour service since I don't know any of the languages, how to get around and most importantly: I'm only going to have about 2 weeks, so time is pretty important.

I'm going to try to do this myself though and save the $1,500-$2,000 is would cost for a tour, starting with looking through the Lonely Planet stuff and trying desperately to concoct an itinerary. Anyone have any tips on where to start? I need a video game walkthrough-like instruction for how to do this Bangkok-Angkor-Phnom-Siem Reap thing - cheat codes are a plus.

I'm starting to feel a little over ambitious about now...

Edit: You know, maybe I should just spend 2 weeks in Thailand or something. After doing some research, trying to see all of this in 2 weeks sounds exhausting. That's a drat shame

I'll be going in the middle of January leaving from Seoul. It will be interesting going from Seoul winter to Cambodia. I don't even have any summer clothes with me, never really needed them in the summer here. I'll report back after my trip. I have a month to plan it all and find a reasonable backpack as my only luggage.

I have a 23 hour layover in Guangzhou, any idea how to make that less miserable than it is going to be?

Also, who are the goon contacts for Cambodia? I noticed a distinct lack of Cambodia in the OP. I am planning on Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, and Sihanoukville if I can't be convinced otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tyorik posted:

Should I bring a 110-220 converter with me, or buy one there?

Europlugs work there as well but have a weird propensity for falling out of the sockets because of the size of the holes. Buy a converter there if you find out that you need one, because electronics are cheap as poo poo anyways.

I'm going to put together the Cambodia guide in a while. I have some unfinished poo poo I need to take care about here before I give it any time though.

Haer
Feb 18, 2003

DontAskKant posted:

I have a 23 hour layover in Guangzhou, any idea how to make that less miserable than it is going to be?

Guangzhou is the most overpriced airport I've ever been to. Cheapest coffee I could find was almost $12 usd. Food was no better and all the duty free is also overpriced ($20 for a bag of Reece's pieces anyone?). There wass no free wifi that I could find, which means you'll have to buy an overpriced coffee if you want go online. Seats were uncomfortable with no good place to lie down, and nothing else to do to fill the time. Unfortunately, the only positive contribution I can make is to suggest that you look into one of the airline lounges to see what they have and if you can get access.

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."

caberham posted:

My next wish list is going from Indonesia and Crossing into Australia and stopping Brunei with the final destination somewhere in New Zealand (any ferry from Oz?). Has anyone done this?

Brunei seems a bit out of your way and by all accounts doesn't have that much going for it as a destination anyways. Sarawak and Sabah on the other hand have masses of interesting historical, cultural, ecological and sporting stuff to do (Tawau in southern Sabah can be reached by boat from Sulawesi in Indonesia).

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Anybody know of a good/cheap hotel/hostel in kuala lumpur that they can recommend? I'd like to book one for a week or so in January with a friend!

Bit late with this, try http://monkeeinn.com/ it's in China Town and run by a really nice American couple with decent food and a quietish bar, beats the rest of the budget places in China town hands down. (also free wifi in room)

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
What's the best way to divide up 8 weeks in Thailand (neither of us have been there before)?

We are flying into Bangkok but don't have anything planned after that. How much time should we spend in Bangkok before heading towards other cities?

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
That entirely depends on what you want to do. Bangkok is a huge city that offers pretty much everything.
Why does it matter anyway? Go there, once you're there decide how long you want to stay. You can leave at any time and return at any time. The way I do it is make a rough plan which cities to visit and then decide on the spot how long to stay where.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Make sure you plan to build in some visa runs, though. Or, better yet, go to another country or two while you're out here.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Rapsey posted:

That entirely depends on what you want to do. Bangkok is a huge city that offers pretty much everything.
Why does it matter anyway? Go there, once you're there decide how long you want to stay. You can leave at any time and return at any time. The way I do it is make a rough plan which cities to visit and then decide on the spot how long to stay where.
Just curious how people would allocate time between Bangkok vs other parts of the country, especially if there are things we need to book ahead of time to get the best rates or to ensure availability or whatever.

eviljelly posted:

Make sure you plan to build in some visa runs, though. Or, better yet, go to another country or two while you're out here.
We picked up 60 day tourist visas before arrival from the Thai consulate in Hong Kong. This is actually one stop on a massive RTW trip so there will definitely be opportunities to visit other countries later.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

NoDamage posted:

Just curious how people would allocate time between Bangkok vs other parts of the country, especially if there are things we need to book ahead of time to get the best rates or to ensure availability or whatever.

This question is really difficult to answer with random Interwebs people. It's like asking a stranger to pick a girl/boyfriend for you.

Personally, I'm just barely on the positive side of indifference, with regards to the 'Kok. Then again, I'm not into clubbing any more, and have never been into whoremongering. Whenever I'm there, I eat a lot (it's one of the best cities in the world for eating), and think about how I'd rather be on the beach or wandering northern Thailand. Traffic is intensely snarled, it's polluted, overrun with tourists, and people aren't as friendly as elsewhere in Thailand. I think Bangkok would be a better place to work and live than to visit.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

NoDamage posted:

We picked up 60 day tourist visas before arrival from the Thai consulate in Hong Kong. This is actually one stop on a massive RTW trip so there will definitely be opportunities to visit other countries later.

Take 2-4 days BKK to experience the culture shock at the start and possibly overcome jetlag while surrounded by backpackers at khao san rd. Then get the gently caress out. Take another 4-6 days when you're ready to really explore the place at the middle or end of your trip (depending on your itinerary).

My experience in Thailand was that you rarely have to book ahead, maybe on some of the smaller islands (Koh Tao, Koh Phi Phi) and only if there is a specific place that you want to stay at, so don't worry to much about that. It's probably the easiest place in the world to just wing it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
For shopping on your way back home, the weekend market at Chatuchak is not to be missed.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Pompous Rhombus posted:

For shopping on your way back home, the weekend market at Chatuchak is not to be missed.

^^this. I got a poo poo-ton of Thai Red Bull t-shirts for my younger cousins there, teak Buddha heads for my older relatives, and art for my walls at weekend market. That place is amazing.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I'm heading to Vietnam through Ha Tien soon, way on the southwest side. Any cool, off-the-beaten track stuff to see/do in south Vietnam, other than the standard trek-and-overnight-with-the-hill-tribes suggestion? I'm not tied down to bus/train routes, so don't worry about transport.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
So I'm traveling with my friend in Cambodia and Vietnam in January from the eighteenth to the thirtieth. After that I'll be alone to travel from Hanoi through Laos, Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore. I'm probably then going to fly from Singapore to a cheap Chinese city and continue traveling China since I already hatinve a multiple entries visa. Eventually I'll be making my way back to Shanghai. How easy is it to find random people/goons traveling along the same path and joining up with them?

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Stay in a hostel, don't be an anti social goon. It's pretty hard to not find other people to travel with. Talk to other travellers on buses/trains, share stories of how hosed up you got, some awesome place you went to where x happened.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

One more question... it seemed pretty easy to get cipro in Thailand and Myanmar. Is it pretty easy to get it in Vietnam? I'd rather get something not made in China, though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

huhu posted:

I'm probably then going to fly from Singapore to a cheap Chinese city and continue traveling China since I already hatinve a multiple entries visa.

Check out Tiger Airways for the China flight; they're a Singapore-based budget airline.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

eviljelly posted:

One more question... it seemed pretty easy to get cipro in Thailand and Myanmar. Is it pretty easy to get it in Vietnam? I'd rather get something not made in China, though.

I would buy that stuff in Thailand if I could because you're more likely to be able to get German made Cipro instead of some bootleg Indian poo poo, but I'd be shocked if they didn't have it in Vietnam OTC.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Pro-tip that I just remembered:

Even if you are going on one of those "figure it out when I get there" trips, you will still have a general idea of what you want to do and more importantly what big cities you are going to be in.

You should build a little spreadsheet that has each city and 2+ guesthouses that look good on Wikitravel/whatever. This way if you arrive at like 12:30AM because your bus broke down or something you will have a few go to places and wont be wandering around for like an hour.

Comes from an experience where I just showed up in Singapore and listened to some idiot on Wikitravel who said that most of the backpacker hotels are right around riverside and the Quays. Hint: they're not.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Hopefully someone can help me out with this, I tried to visit several websites including the official one and I still don't have an answer. I'm going to do a border crossing from Laos to Thailand. I'm an American so I see that I get 15 days without a visa. Can I extend this in Bangkok or can I get a visa before I enter the country for 30 days?

Also, hopefully the following information can be verified too.

Cambodia: Visa on arrival via airplane, valid for 30 days.
Vietnam: Get visa with specified dates before arrival. Do a border crossing and be good for around 30 days depending on specified dates.
Laos: 30 day single entry visa which I can get in Hanoi.
Malaysia: Multiple entries without a visa.
Singapore: Single entry for 14 days without a visa.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

huhu posted:

Hopefully someone can help me out with this, I tried to visit several websites including the official one and I still don't have an answer. I'm going to do a border crossing from Laos to Thailand. I'm an American so I see that I get 15 days without a visa. Can I extend this in Bangkok or can I get a visa before I enter the country for 30 days?

Vietnam: Get visa with specified dates before arrival. Do a border crossing and be good for around 30 days depending on specified dates.

You can only acquire/extend a new visa outside Thailand or by crossing the border again. Your best bet is to get a 60-day tourist visa before you enter Thailand.

Keep in mind that the tourist visa is single entry so if you plan on crossing the Thailand border multiple times it gets more complicated.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

huhu posted:

Depending on where you will be, I think you can extend your visa by one month in the Immigration office in Ranong. It's expensive, though. You're better off getting a 2 month in Laos if you're already there.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Thailand allows no-visa entry for 30 days if you arrive by air, 15 days if you arrive by land. 500 baht per day fine for overstay, which they enforce strictly. Lots of places near the Myanmar and Malaysia border (And even not-so-near. I've seen signs for border run trips from Koh Phangan, even - they ferry you to Chumpon, then drive you out to Ranong and cross to Myanmar) offer visa-run trips at decently reasonable prices, too - just go over and then come back the same day or next day. Costs about 700-2000 baht to make the trip, depending on where you are, plus $10 if you're crossing into Myanmar (you don't really get to go into real Myanmar, just across the border).

quote:

Yup. By land, too. $20 + something (at the popular Aranyaprathet-Poipet border, it's $20 + 100 baht). You can also get an e-visa online beforehand for $25.

quote:

When I applied for a single-entry visa from Phnom Penh, I did not need to give specific dates. Cost me $40, which included the runner going to the embassy and doing all the legwork for me - I gave them my passport in the evening and I got my passport back the next evening.

quote:

90 days without a visa, i.e. costs you $0.

quote:

30 days without a visa, i.e. $0.

Don't know about Laos.

eviljelly fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 19, 2011

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

eviljelly posted:

Thailand allows no-visa entry for 30 days if you arrive by air, 15 days if you arrive by land. 500 baht per day fine for overstay, which they enforce strictly. Lots of places near the Myanmar and Malaysia border (And even not-so-near. I've seen signs for border run trips from Koh Phangan, even - they ferry you to Chumpon, then drive you out to Ranong and cross to Myanmar) offer visa-run trips at decently reasonable prices, too - just go over and then come back the same day or next day. Costs about 700-2000 baht to make the trip, depending on where you are, plus $10 if you're crossing into Myanmar (you don't really get to go into real Myanmar, just across the border).

Tourist visas are $40 each (1250 THB). If you can get to a consulate easily this is usually cheaper and more convenient. Not every city has a consulate so YMMV.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
edit: Laos is 35 bucks for Americans.

Jenkin fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 20, 2011

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

Last night I was in Chinatown in Kuala Lumpur picking up some gifts on Petaling street. As I'm staying in the burbs, it's not so common to run into whities these days. But the Reggae Inn was packed with Red Bull singlet-wearing backpacker types enjoying their pizza and pasta. Three doors down, Shin Kee Beef Noodles - one of the best secrets Chinatown had to offer - was empty apart from one old Malaysian guy. Criminal. I like a faux Jamaican backpacker hostel as much as the next white person, but honestly why bother travelling if you can't be bothered to investigate what's under your nose.

Ebethron fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 20, 2011

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

Jenkin posted:

Laos is around 20 or 30 bucks if you go in via the overland boarder, I can't remember exactly. Bring some passport-size photos.

It was $35 two years ago and it takes FOREVER. I paid $15 extra, got it from the embassy in DC and waltzed right through the border.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
You're right, it's 35 bucks for Americans. It didn't take particularly long when I was there, probably depends on the time of year. The Thai/Cambodia boarder was a lot worse in terms of wait times.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Will stick this in the op somewhere but would like input from you AMERIKKKANS as I am euro trash and our passports are inferior :(

Note: Some countries require photos and mint USD, so make sure to have them ready.

Thailand
30 days if you fly in (free)
15 days if coming from land (free)
60 days (+30 days optional) if you have Tourist Visa (I forget the price)
Tourist Visas can only be applied outside of Thailand

Laos
30 days(?) on arrival (price depends on nationality, $35 for US passport)

Cambodia
30 days(?) on arrival (I forget the price)

Vietnam
30 days(?) MUST APPLY IN ADVANCE outside of Vietnam
14 days (free) for Scandinavians aaahahahaha

Myanmar (Burma)
30 days MUST APPLY IN ADVANCE outside of Myanmar (I forget the price)

Malaysia
90 days (free)

Singapore
90 days (free)

Philippines
30 days(?) (free)

Indonesia
30 days ($25 USD) on arrival (according to Google, I've never been there)

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

The only little sneaky part about the Philippines is that you must show an onward flight ticket to the airline that you're flying in with. They will not let you board the flight into the Philippines without one - I had to buy my ticket at the airport for this reason. That was my experience with Cebu Pacific, but I heard the same with many other airlines.

Once I got to Manila, the immigration officers didn't seem to care about the onward ticket, although I did overhear an officer grill a Japanese dude about it. (The Japanese dude spoke almost no English, or at least pretended not to, and he was eventually allowed to enter without showing the officer an onward ticket.)

For the sake of completeness, maybe Brunei and East Timor should be on the list as well. :)

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
^^^^ Americans cop it because you always charge non white countries heaps of money to get in so they do it back to US citizens visiting them. It only cost me $20 USD for my visa to Laos and I never brought any photos so they charged me like $1 USD to make a photocopy of my passport.

Also when travelling to Laos over land border don't do it on a weekend; especially on a Sunday. Expect to pay a few dollars extra for making them work on a weekend. It seems like nothing now but when your bumming around and haggling over 50 cents when jumping on a tuk-tuk it seems like big money and it will frustrate you!

Edit: or maybe it was Cambodia. Both of them are going to take you for a ride....

imnotinsane fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 20, 2011

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

Indonesia: its possible to get an extension of an additional 30 days at one of the Visa on Arrival desks at most airports and seaports, takes up to a week (!) and you have to hand over your passport during that time
Apparently 60 day visas are also available from most embassies including Bangkok and KL.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Ringo R posted:

Laos
30 days(?) on arrival (price depends on nationality, $35 for US passport)

I went to the lao embassy in belgium to get my visa before I left for laos. And that was a good thing too, as we were not allowed on the bus from udon thani to vientianne without a visa. But appearantly some of you are doing it at the border, I dunno.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

mrfart posted:

I went to the lao embassy in belgium to get my visa before I left for laos. And that was a good thing too, as we were not allowed on the bus from udon thani to vientianne without a visa. But appearantly some of you are doing it at the border, I dunno.

Yeah, from Udon Thani they have two types of buses to Vientiane, one for people with visa (or can enter visa free) and one for people who needs to stop and apply for visa at the border. Beware of the I MAKE VISA FOR YOU scam right before the border if you travel by yourself going from Nong Khai to the border. You will get your Lao visa on the Laos side and there is no need to get it before in Mr. I MAKE VISA FOR YOU's shop in Nong Khai.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

Ringo R posted:

Will stick this in the op somewhere but would like input from you AMERIKKKANS as I am euro trash and our passports are inferior :(

Note: Some countries require photos and mint USD, so make sure to have them ready.

Thailand
30 days if you fly in (free)
15 days if coming from land (free)
60 days (+30 days optional) if you have Tourist Visa (I forget the price)
Tourist Visas can only be applied outside of Thailand

Tourist visa is $40 USD per entry, up to 3 entries (you must buy entries ahead of time). They raised the price in october, was previously only $35.

Ebethron posted:

Last night I was in Chinatown in Kuala Lumpur picking up some gifts on Petaling street. As I'm staying in the burbs, it's not so common to run into whities these days. But the Reggae Inn was packed with Red Bull singlet-wearing backpacker types enjoying their pizza and pasta. Three doors down, Shin Kee Beef Noodles - one of the best secrets Chinatown had to offer - was empty apart from one old Malaysian guy. Criminal. I like a faux Jamaican backpacker hostel as much as the next white person, but honestly why bother travelling if you can't be bothered to investigate what's under your nose.

They made it out of the country which is more than most Americans can say, but yeah it is mind boggling. I'd kill to have the noodle shop next to my aunt-in-laws's house near me in the US. So good and it only costs about $1.25 for lunch.

The only thing I could relate to is that if you don't speak [enough] of the local language the smaller markets could be intimidating. While in Rayong and Bangkok we buy nearly all of our meals at the local markets. It's almost exclusively Thais so very few vendors speak English, besides being the polar opposite of clean and orderly box restaurants in the US.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

size1one posted:

They made it out of the country which is more than most Americans can say, but yeah it is mind boggling. I'd kill to have the noodle shop next to my aunt-in-laws's house near me in the US. So good and it only costs about $1.25 for lunch.

Most backpackers you cross in KL are British and continental European. I didn't see very many Yanks there.

quote:

The only thing I could relate to is that if you don't speak [enough] of the local language the smaller markets could be intimidating. While in Rayong and Bangkok we buy nearly all of our meals at the local markets. It's almost exclusively Thais so very few vendors speak English, besides being the polar opposite of clean and orderly box restaurants in the US.

Almost everyone in KL speaks English.

I don't understand the attraction of the backpacker coccoon abroad, but "criminal"? Even less can I understand judgmental, competitive travel (the ultimate in pretentious douchebaggery). So long as you're not hiring child prostitutes or dynamite fishing on coral reefs, I don't care how other people travel. So what if Nigel wants familiar food at the guesthouse?

If I had 10 baht for every time I'd heard a bunch of snot-nosed backpackers flogging the dead horse of "tourist versus traveler", or boasting about how they haggled the local guide down to two groats and a handful of bellybutton lint to carry their bags through the jungle ...

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 20, 2011

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Besides, everyone knows that the only true traveler is the one who travels through the region by his own power, not by buses or trains or even cars or motorcycles. :smug:

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

eviljelly posted:

Besides, everyone knows that the only true traveler is the one who travels through the region by his own power, not by buses or trains or even cars or motorcycles. :smug:

A true travelista also eschews money altogether, living off innate charisma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Macunaima posted:

A true travelista also eschews money altogether, living off innate charisma.

It's the only way to truly meet the locals.