Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I live in NoVA and don't own a car. I may get one next year, though. Still, drivers here are insane, and I won't go near a highway on a bike, even if it means it takes me an extra hour of sitting at lights to get somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I live in Baltimore and I'd sooner ride to New York than DC. 495 especially should be called Satan's Cockring.

elektroboot
Nov 7, 2004

M4rg4r1ne posted:

Riding at night in unfamiliar territory frightens me.
Thing is, I went to college in the area and have driven that stretch of road many times, both day and night. You just don't think about the same things when you're in a car, I guess.

SlightlyMadman posted:

I live in Baltimore and I'd sooner ride to New York than DC. 495 especially should be called Satan's Cockring.
Using this from now on, it is perfect.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

An observer posted:

DC is an absolute shithole w/r/t drivers. I've spent 12 years in Boston and ~7 driving to NYC, and neither can compare to the crazy poo poo DC/VA drivers will pull. I refuse to even drive a car there. Glad you made it out ok, though!

It's funny, the local news here has run a few stories about a national report of the most roadrage-y cities. Everyone's surprised because DC drivers are apparently pretty average, except for one category: we lead the nation in car rammings, at a rate of something like four times the closest competitor.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

There's a reason I wear a Lisa Frank Dayglo Electric Daisy Fanclub vest whenever I'm riding. Sure it won't prevent all accidents but it sure as hell is better than riding my black bike with black boots and black helmet and black jacket. :ohdear:

Currently rocking the Icon yellow milspec safety vest and loving it loads. The right zipper pocket is perfect for keys and ear plugs and people have pretty much zero excuse for not seeing you. Doesn't mean you should be more lax when riding but I like the extra security.

Sorry about your accident. Really glad you're okay though. :)

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
Not mine

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/nl52v/i_am_a_guy_who_was_rearended_on_my_motorcycle_by/

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

lovely location for a starbucks :(

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
That guy is awesome. He's a lawyer and the guy who hit him had no insurance. Since he wasn't hurt or anything he's not even suing the guy (Iraq vet, family, barely getting by, etc)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Making a trike out of a motorcycle and a VW Bug is so yesterday, man.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Only one thing can come from this.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

aventari posted:

That guy is awesome. He's a lawyer and the guy who hit him had no insurance. Since he wasn't hurt or anything he's not even suing the guy (Iraq vet, family, barely getting by, etc)

Some dipshit not paying attention rear ends a biker at 90 mph.

I would have wanted him to do time.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

M4rg4r1ne posted:

Only one thing can come from this.

Not a converted motorcycle, as far as I can tell. Just has that dumb front girder suspension.

Surprise! Made by Reliant, the same people behind the Robin

A bit of info

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Merry Crashmas! I broke my cherry after over a year and a half of riding today.

Looks like a normal road, right?

Well, it has a layer of gravel dust on it that is the same color as the old sun-bleached asphalt. Circled is the point where my kick starter began digging into it after the front wheel went out from under me and I landed on my side.

I wore the chicken strip off of the left side of my front tire and wore a thin spot in my left handlebar mitt. The rest of the scrapes are in the exact same locations as when a previous owner crashed it.

This is why you wear full face helmets. It went basically like this: riding, riding, turning, DOWN! There was no time to react and that's a good thing, as if I had tried putting a hand down to brace myself, I might have fractured my wrist.

The only damage to the jacket as far as I could tell is some scraped adjustment buttons.

I got my pants a bit dirty and wore a tiny hole in the knee.

Friction burn > road rash any day.

What should I have done differently? I guess come to a complete stop at that turn and proceed slowly from now on. Either that or mount one of those baseball umpire plate brooms to my front fender. It rained a whole lot earlier in the week and I can only assume that washed the leftovers from roadwork further up the hill down into that turn. When I went back to take pictures of the area, I swept my boot across the right side of the road and it was like gritty ice.

The best part was that this was on my way to see my parents and open presents. I had food in the storage bin under the seat and managed to not spill any of it. :coal:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

M4rg4r1ne posted:

Friction burn > road rash any day.

It sucks that you had to lay her down and all, but really don't feel so bad. It happens to all scooter riding chimpanzees. I think the fur you lost will grow out again.

M4rg4r1ne posted:

The best part was that this was on my way to see my parents and open presents. I had food in the storage bin under the seat and managed to not spill any of it. :coal:

Bananas are a lot tougher than most people think.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Can I make a "Vespa Ape" joke then, since I probably wouldn't have crashed this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
This was a while ago but I thought I'd share,

A couple of years ago I had a guy pull out of a sidestreet directly into my path, I'm pretty sure I was only doing 60Km/h but can't recall much aside from screaming for him to stop.

Anyway, I hit the brakes but obviously didn't stop in time. Totalled my Daytona which had only done a few thousand k's

He was found to be at fault by the police, and his insurance paid for my new Daytona minus what they judged the worth of the wrecked one and so I parted out the wreck.

Anyway yeah here's the bike after the incident, the stem for the steering was cracked away and unrepairable.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Looks rough, how'd you fare in that crash?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Amazingly I came away from it with just some very sore balls, since they slammed in to the tank.

The Paramedics were telling me I should buy a lottery ticket, I feel very lucky to be alive and uninjured!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Yeah they tell that to everyone. Well, either that or the organ donor joke.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

theperminator posted:

This was a while ago but I thought I'd share,

A couple of years ago I had a guy pull out of a sidestreet directly into my path, I'm pretty sure I was only doing 60Km/h but can't recall much aside from screaming for him to stop.

Anyway, I hit the brakes but obviously didn't stop in time. Totalled my Daytona which had only done a few thousand k's

He was found to be at fault by the police, and his insurance paid for my new Daytona minus what they judged the worth of the wrecked one and so I parted out the wreck.

Anyway yeah here's the bike after the incident, the stem for the steering was cracked away and unrepairable.

Funny, this is exactly how my daytona was totalled. Steering stem shattered just like yours did. Glad to hear you were okay and got a new one :)

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Yeah, now that you say that I think the dealer told me it was a common thing with these bikes. I've actually found a picture of the carnage on the head stem too

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

theperminator posted:

Yeah, now that you say that I think the dealer told me it was a common thing with these bikes. I've actually found a picture of the carnage on the head stem too

Twinsies! :3: My ignition broke too though :(

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Dropped my bike this morning because I'm an idiot. I have to park around the corner and down the street a bit, in front of an abandoned house, because it's the only place with legal parking and something to chain the bike to. Since fall, a lot of dead leaves have been building up in a big pile next to my bike. Normally I just park next to it, but last night a car was parked a bit close, so I had to park on top of the leaf pile.

I made a mental note to myself that I'd have to be careful pulling out in the morning, with all those frost-covered leaves on the ground, but of course promptly forgot about it today.

Started the bike up this morning, and decided I would hustle to try and make the green light at the end of the block since I was running late, so I gunned it right out of there. Back wheel immediately spun out and the bike shot right out from under me.

Not much damage except for my ego and a new scuff on the pipes. Snapped a nice picture where you can see the trail from the pipes scraping:

I think I'll be cleaning those leaves up this weekend. The spot of oil probably didn't help either; I should really do something about that leak.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

SlightlyMadman posted:

Dropped my bike this morning because I'm an idiot. I have to park around the corner and down the street a bit, in front of an abandoned house, because it's the only place with legal parking and something to chain the bike to. Since fall, a lot of dead leaves have been building up in a big pile next to my bike. Normally I just park next to it, but last night a car was parked a bit close, so I had to park on top of the leaf pile.

I made a mental note to myself that I'd have to be careful pulling out in the morning, with all those frost-covered leaves on the ground, but of course promptly forgot about it today.

Started the bike up this morning, and decided I would hustle to try and make the green light at the end of the block since I was running late, so I gunned it right out of there. Back wheel immediately spun out and the bike shot right out from under me.

Not much damage except for my ego and a new scuff on the pipes. Snapped a nice picture where you can see the trail from the pipes scraping:

I think I'll be cleaning those leaves up this weekend. The spot of oil probably didn't help either; I should really do something about that leak.

I've been parking on a pile of leaves like that for the past few weeks, always taking off very cautiously. The other morning I went to pull away and the rear end just sort of rotated out 90 degrees until I let off the throttle. I ended up perpendicular in the road with my feet on the ground but the bike didn't slide out from under me. On my way to the gas station immediately after, I fishtailed at like 20mph when I was turning in to the parking lot but managed to ride it out. Not a calm ride to work that day, and I've since raked all the leaves. Winter riding is sketchy, I totally ride like a grandma between October and June.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

himajinga posted:

Winter riding is sketchy, I totally ride like a grandma between October and June.

I average one lowside per winter because I can't bring myself to do this.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

It's impossible not to ride like a grandma on my scooter and I still lowsided.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have a can of olive drab green paint set aside specifically for my crash bars each winter. She will hit the pavement eventually, the only question is when.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

M4rg4r1ne posted:

It's impossible not to ride like a grandma on my scooter and I still lowsided.

Cool grandma! :cool:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Twice in two weeks. Does it count if I wasn't riding it?

While getting food, I heard what sounded like a trash can being dragged across the parking lot. I came outside to find my scooter not where I parked it and my helmet behind the car in the space to my right.

My poor scooter was shoved a foot or so before the driver stopped.

That white truck managed to scuff the front fender and shatter my leg shield by reversing out of its space and turning into mine on the way out.

Dangly trim piece and a new air vent for my knee. The VIN cover popped off from the impact and can't be put back, since the structural rigidity of the leg shield is now nonexistent.

Her insurance company called me with claim information, but calling the number back just let me know that I would have to call back during regular office hours. Lame. Also I was cool about it until the driver decided to try and lecture me on parking in a more visible area, since she didn't see me and it's my fault she didn't look or something. I refrained from swearing at her because she had a small child with her and I wanted at least one adult there to set a good example.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

M4rg4r1ne posted:

Twice in two weeks. Does it count if I wasn't riding it?

While getting food, I heard what sounded like a trash can being dragged across the parking lot. I came outside to find my scooter not where I parked it and my helmet behind the car in the space to my right.

My poor scooter was shoved a foot or so before the driver stopped.

That white truck managed to scuff the front fender and shatter my leg shield by reversing out of its space and turning into mine on the way out.

Dangly trim piece and a new air vent for my knee. The VIN cover popped off from the impact and can't be put back, since the structural rigidity of the leg shield is now nonexistent.

Her insurance company called me with claim information, but calling the number back just let me know that I would have to call back during regular office hours. Lame. Also I was cool about it until the driver decided to try and lecture me on parking in a more visible area, since she didn't see me and it's my fault she didn't look or something. I refrained from swearing at her because she had a small child with her and I wanted at least one adult there to set a good example.

That sucks, hopefully it's resolved soon. I'm almost afraid to post this, but I've never had my bike backed into while parked. My old roommate has had his bike backed into and tipped over probably a dozen times in the past 3 years, and he's only been lucky enough to catch the person a few of those times. I've seen someone tip his bike over while backing up and not even notice it. Where are these people looking?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

They aren't. :downs:

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

A claims adjuster came by today and took a bunch of pictures of the scooter and my helmet. I know I'll definitely need a new leg shield and a plastic bit the covers the wires to the right turn signal. Not sure if they'll replace the front fender though.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
This happened.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_WRYGaxqSk

Damage:
Parts Unlimited brake lever ~$20
Scratches and scuffs (bike had a healthy patina to begin with)
Nice scuff on the side of my helmet, but it's ok, I put a sticker on it.

Injuries:
None

Lesson learned guys, cold racing tires don't grip well when it's chilly. I stopped in at the shop to grab a new lever and there was a Guy with a ZX6 who also lowsided, he had DOT Race tires on his bike as well. They are nice and bubblegummy when they are hot, but feel like plastic until then. P.S. it's not like I didn't know better, I've had the same tires on my bike since this summer.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If your head was inside the helmet, and it hit the ground hard enough to scuff the shell, I wouldn't use that helmet anymore. There's a big difference between dropping an empty helmet (no weight inside to crush the foam) and one with a mostly-water-filled cranium inside.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

WildWanderer posted:

This happened.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_WRYGaxqSk

Damage:
Parts Unlimited brake lever ~$20
Scratches and scuffs (bike had a healthy patina to begin with)
Nice scuff on the side of my helmet, but it's ok, I put a sticker on it.

Injuries:
None

Lesson learned guys, cold racing tires don't grip well when it's chilly. I stopped in at the shop to grab a new lever and there was a Guy with a ZX6 who also lowsided, he had DOT Race tires on his bike as well. They are nice and bubblegummy when they are hot, but feel like plastic until then. P.S. it's not like I didn't know better, I've had the same tires on my bike since this summer.

E:get a new lid.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Yeah... cold tires... right. Why are you so heavy on the throttle? Why not ride your bike like you don't want to crash it?

In all seriousness, glad to see you are okay but I think you should stop worrying about cold tires and worry about maximizing traction and take it easy.

WildWanderer
Nov 14, 2007
10 on tha Gnar-scale
invision, Geirskogul

I understand your concern. I popped the lining out of my helmet and took a good look. It appears good as new. I also poked at it a little, put pressure on the foam with my thumbs, and it feels fine. Now I am sure if I called a Shoei rep and asked his opinion, he would tell me to replace it because it's possible the helmet may still be damaged. Never the less, I still feel comfortable trusting my life with it. Especially when money is tight and a replacement would really set me back.

Crayvex

That was a very noobish mistake on my part, but I am far from a newbie. That's actually what makes the mistake so embarrassing. It's been a rough fall/winter for all my friends here and all of our bikes are looking pretty beat up because of little fuckups like mine.

I still believe my tires are partly to blame. I'm on my second set of Power-Ones, and I have noticed a DRAMATIC compromise in traction this time of year when I have trouble keeping them hot. I am also running a V-profile up front which makes the bike kind of twitchy. My back tire is due for a change, so I'm going to try a Power Pure next, see if it's a little more street friendly.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

quote:

Never the less, I still feel comfortable trusting my life with it. Especially when money is tight and a replacement would really set me back.

This is a bad reason and you should feel bad.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

quote:

Especially when money is tight and a replacement would really set me back.

Yeah, you're right. Bad things never happen to people that skip on protection to save a few dollars. I mean really, people have the same line of thinking about insurance and it never gets them in trouble either. You'll be fine.

Trust me, get a new helmet or hold off on riding. You'll thank yourself later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

WildWanderer posted:

Now I am sure if I called a Shoei rep and asked his opinion, he would tell me to replace it because it's possible the helmet may still be damaged.
Send it to Shoei. It's completely free. They will x-ray it and tell you if it's still sound. I sent my crashed helmet to them and it turned out to still usable. The way you crashed was low speed and it looked like your helmet impacted the ground in a way that could have compressed the EPS liner, whether you can see it or not.

WildWanderer posted:

I still believe my tires are partly to blame. I'm on my second set of Power-Ones, and I have noticed a DRAMATIC compromise in traction this time of year when I have trouble keeping them hot. I am also running a V-profile up front which makes the bike kind of twitchy. My back tire is due for a change, so I'm going to try a Power Pure next, see if it's a little more street friendly.
Why are you running such sticky tires on the street? Power One's are legitimately the worst choice for a street tire due to the way Michelin race tires are affected by heat cycling. Race tires in general are a terrible idea on the street because as you found out, you will never get them up to temp. Even running a N track pace won't get them fully heated. I've ran takeoff Power Ones and Power Races on the street and they were honest-to-god the worst experience I have ever had with tires.

• Locked thread