Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Choose the widget to edit, select Theme, and change Choose Background to None.

I love this app/widget. But I'm having a few issues. I'm having trouble getting the led flash toggle to work on my GNex LTE. I tried all 4 modes, and nothing turns on the led flash. Also the wifi tether icon doesn't appear to work. Also GPS toggle only seems to bring up the GPS menu, I'd rather it just toggle GPS on/off...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Kitchen Timer has a funky UI. It's not ugly, but it's quite bizarre, and doesn't support pausing the timer.

Hybrid Stopwatch & Timer has ads and, again, a very bizarre, cluttered UI. G

StopWatch & Timer comes the closest. It would be nice if it could be trained to start in timer mode, and especially nice if I could use either flick scrolling or the keyboard to set timers, but it'll have to do.

Thanks for the suggestions, so far.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Penguissimo posted:

Widgetsoid has this feature, but it's pretty well-hidden. When you create a widget, go to the Advanced tab and tick "Notification" and "Invisible".

There's also Notification Toggle.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Choose the widget to edit, select Theme, and change Choose Background to None.
This just doesn't work for me. Same problem as dissss, the background color on the notification is light gray with no way to change it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

This just doesn't work for me. Same problem as dissss, the background color on the notification is light gray with no way to change it.

Try setting the background transparency to 100% (well the second 90% :v:)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

Try setting the background transparency to 100% (well the second 90% :v:)
I did that too (I think, she's left for work) but no change.

Is this working for you (or anyone) on a Nexus S?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Out of curiosity, why not Evernote? I like it a lot, so I'm probably too biased to see a downside.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.
So my battery life has been awful of late and I am pretty sure it's due to data usage (due to amazing battery life with 3G off) any settings or apps out there that let me see what is using data, how much, and when?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Slywalker13 posted:

So my battery life has been awful of late and I am pretty sure it's due to data usage (due to amazing battery life with 3G off) any settings or apps out there that let me see what is using data, how much, and when?

3G watchdog

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

LastInLine posted:

I can't get it to work either, NexusS 4.0.3, it always shows with a grey background.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Is anyone running a hacked up Google Wallet on the Tmobile 9020t Nexus S? Why in the hell isn't this supported officially?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
FYI: When I stopped using my stock/sense rom a timer/stopwatch was a huge want for me, I tried a bunch from the market and found that most wake-lock the phone completely until beep time. I found one that didn't, just a countdown timer called "timer by thespinninghead"

I've been using that and also, as suggested to me at the time of my search, just do voice command like "alarm 20 minutes".

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

ModestMuse posted:

I love this app/widget. But I'm having a few issues. I'm having trouble getting the led flash toggle to work on my GNex LTE. I tried all 4 modes, and nothing turns on the led flash. Also the wifi tether icon doesn't appear to work. Also GPS toggle only seems to bring up the GPS menu, I'd rather it just toggle GPS on/off...

The flash doesn't work yet, only the full brightness white screen. I'm guessing it'll be updated eventually. WiFi tether probably turns on native tethering which the GN doesn't do, at least not without paying for it. I just use Android Wireless Tether. Honestly, with the frequency most people turn tethering on and off, I don't think a notification toggle is necessary. I can't help you with GPS, I don't turn it off. There's really no reason since it's always off unless an app specifically calls for it, then it turns on until it's no longer needed and turns itself off.

LastInLine posted:

WienerDog posted:

I can't get it to work either, NexusS 4.0.3, it always shows with a grey background.

I dunno, it works fine for me on a stock, rooted, de-odexed 4.0.2 LTE Galaxy Nexus. Does it still show the background if you make a regular widget instead of the notification?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I dunno, it works fine for me on a stock, rooted, de-odexed 4.0.2 LTE Galaxy Nexus. Does it still show the background if you make a regular widget instead of the notification?
Yes, the widget itself can be changed but whether I check the option for customizing the notification separately or not the only thing I can change on the notification is the color of the indicator. I can't remove the icons, change the icon color, apply icon labels, nor change the background (which isn't an option if you customize the notification separately) at all.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

LastInLine posted:

Yes, the widget itself can be changed but whether I check the option for customizing the notification separately or not the only thing I can change on the notification is the color of the indicator. I can't remove the icons, change the icon color, apply icon labels, nor change the background (which isn't an option if you customize the notification separately) at all.

Are you using Widgetsoid 2.x and not the original Widgetsoid? I've got Widgetsoid 2.x version 3.2.4 and haven't had that problem on any phone with any ROM. Hmm.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Are you using Widgetsoid 2.x and not the original Widgetsoid? I've got Widgetsoid 2.x version 3.2.4 and haven't had that problem on any phone with any ROM. Hmm.
Yes, Widgetsoid 2.x but I'll double check when I see her tonight.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Thoom posted:

and a notepad of some sort (not Evernote).

Any reason not Evernote? If you want text only I would suggest Catch Note

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

TheBuilder posted:

Is anyone running a hacked up Google Wallet on the Tmobile 9020t Nexus S? Why in the hell isn't this supported officially?

Because Google Wallet competes directly with Isis, the non-existent NFC payment system that AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile have been doing a lovely job of putting together for the last 5 years.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Because Google Wallet competes directly with Isis, the non-existent NFC payment system that AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile have been doing a lovely job of putting together for the last 5 years.
It isn't entirely their fault; every time they get ready to do a big push for Isis, Sterling Archer does something that totally destroys the brand equity before it can launch. :v:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
:golfclap:

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

letsgoflyers81 posted:

The flash doesn't work yet, only the full brightness white screen. I'm guessing it'll be updated eventually. WiFi tether probably turns on native tethering which the GN doesn't do, at least not without paying for it. I just use Android Wireless Tether. Honestly, with the frequency most people turn tethering on and off, I don't think a notification toggle is necessary. I can't help you with GPS, I don't turn it off. There's really no reason since it's always off unless an app specifically calls for it, then it turns on until it's no longer needed and turns itself off.

Ok, I'm with you on all this. GPS & Wifi Tether probably don't need to be in my notification drawer. I guess I just need LED support.

The only other thing I've noticed is the notification widget doesn't stay at the top of the drawer. New notifications will push it down. Is there any way to keep it at the very top?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

LastInLine posted:

It isn't entirely their fault; every time they get ready to do a big push for Isis, Sterling Archer does something that totally destroys the brand equity before it can launch. :v:

Well played goon sir, well played.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What's a good non-Gmail mail client for Android? I need something that can deal with unconventional server setups, because my university's mailer system is kind of weird. Non-standard login names and such should be a possibility.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Cardiovorax posted:

What's a good non-Gmail mail client for Android? I need something that can deal with unconventional server setups, because my university's mailer system is kind of weird. Non-standard login names and such should be a possibility.

touchdown is the most popular. It has a 30 day trial to test before blowing a wad of cash, I believe.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

K-9 is probably the best, then probably Touchdown, but couldn't you just configure GMail to get the university email so you could get it that way?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
x-posting from Android device thread:

Well, Google Wallet failed on me last night, just as I had feared that it would!

I had added an add'l $20 to the Google prepaid card bringing my prepaid amount to $30. I then got a bunch of poo poo and walked up to the register. The clerk rang everything up, and gave me the total. I unlocked my phone (VZW GN) and placed the back of the phone up to the PayPass thingy. I felt a magnetic pull, and thought Wallet would popup and ask me for my PIN but alas! Tried it a couple more times until I got frustrated and just used my debit card.

Couple of things to note: I swapped the battery yesterday to my new extended battery from VZW. That could've done it. I also noticed that I had low signal (3G) when I was in the store, so that could've been it as well, but I don't know.

Just reporting my findings.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

LastInLine posted:

K-9 is probably the best, then probably Touchdown, but couldn't you just configure GMail to get the university email so you could get it that way?
I tried, but the stock mail software doesn't really allow for separate login names and email adresses. Thanks a lot for the recommendation, though. K-9 did the trick.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

ModestMuse posted:

Ok, I'm with you on all this. GPS & Wifi Tether probably don't need to be in my notification drawer. I guess I just need LED support.

The only other thing I've noticed is the notification widget doesn't stay at the top of the drawer. New notifications will push it down. Is there any way to keep it at the very top?

And I'm with you on your two biggest annoyances. For now I'm using a standalone flashlight app/widget, and I miss having it in Widgetsoid.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.devuni.flashlight&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5kZXZ1bmkuZmxhc2hsaWdodCJd

As for the notification position, that's pissing me off. It doesn't hurt functionality, but it doesn't look as nice as the CM7 notification toggle.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I just started using Dropbox finally, and thought it'd be a good idea to put a bunch of my photos for phone viewing. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to use a custom image viewer while opening images in Dropbox; it defaults to Gallery, and I want it to use QuickPic (mainly because Gallery will only flipflip portrait/landscape based on the phone's default setting for that, which I have turned off, and QuickPic overrides that setting just for that app).

Any idea how to go about forcing Dropbox to open a different default viewer? Or possibly some other solution (other than enabling auto-rotate all the time)?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Essobie posted:

I just started using Dropbox finally, and thought it'd be a good idea to put a bunch of my photos for phone viewing. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to use a custom image viewer while opening images in Dropbox; it defaults to Gallery, and I want it to use QuickPic (mainly because Gallery will only flipflip portrait/landscape based on the phone's default setting for that, which I have turned off, and QuickPic overrides that setting just for that app).

Any idea how to go about forcing Dropbox to open a different default viewer? Or possibly some other solution (other than enabling auto-rotate all the time)?

Use Estrong's File Manager. It works with Dropbox and lets you use whatever you want to open a file when you tap it.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

gariig posted:

Any reason not Evernote? If you want text only I would suggest Catch Note

Evernote is weird about text editing. It will only let me edit a paragraph at a time, rather than the entire note. I'll check out Catch Note.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Use Estrong's File Manager. It works with Dropbox and lets you use whatever you want to open a file when you tap it.

You should also be using it anyways.

(I uses to get irritated when Goons said stuff like that about estrong, then I used it. It's that good.)

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Kyrosiris posted:

I actually have Es File Explorer, and I like it quite a bit. I didn't even think to just browse the dropbox folder with it. Durr.

However, the Dropbox app successfully sees the hundreds of photos I have in a directory, but ES File Explorer only sees one photo in there. What is that about? I've tried refreshing Dropbox both via ES and using Dropbox, and no change.

Also, is there a way to add Favorites in ES File Explorer so I can quickly get to the Dropbox folder from Home? It looks like all you can save is where Home is, which I guess would work. And when I do that I still have Favorite links to /sdcard/ and sdcard/external_sd/, so that's great... but it seems like you'd be able to make all kinds of Favorites.

Edit: Played around with this some more, and realized that ES File Explorer is specifically a Dropbox client, meaning if I want to actually look at the stuff in my Dropbox on the "net" I have to have it actually log in under "net". The reason why I only saw one of my hundreds of photos was that that one was the only one I actually had downloaded to the folder on my phone specifically. So that all makes sense.

Unfortunately, the viewer selection issue is still an issue. If I browse to my local dropbox folder and look at an image there, it opens with my default viewer (Quickpic). But if I select an image for viewing on the "Net" depository of my dropbox folder, it uses the ES image viewer, and doesn't let me set a default viewer at all. Sigh.

Essobie fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 20, 2011

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is the google voice app very slow for anyone else? I've been using it to text people in the states while I'm in Canada, but when I tap a notification, it takes about a second to switch to the app. Also, if I get a text while typing, I can't type until it fully arrives.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

Is the google voice app very slow for anyone else? I've been using it to text people in the states while I'm in Canada, but when I tap a notification, it takes about a second to switch to the app. Also, if I get a text while typing, I can't type until it fully arrives.

It's a pretty mediocre app to be honest so no, you're not alone.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
My swype stopped swyping and instead began to inform me that instead an update was available. So I went ahead and updated then went to the swype forum to check out what's new. Turns out a lot is new!

Best thing is it should now update automatically OTA. No more dealing with the installer once you've got it.

It also now supports Japanese input with kana/kanji conversion and stuff.

As was mentioned it was bought out by the makers of the dragon speech software which is now apparently integrated. The Speech to Text button has had the logo replaced with a flame and apparently goes through the dragon stuff. No idea how it will compare with Google's version.

Rather interestingly, it now purports to have an AI learning system, (along the lines of swiftkey I guess) that learns as you type. This has been coupled with a predictive AI also along the lines of AI which it supposedly uses to make better choices when there could be multiple words from your swipe across the keypad (ie It will favour Pit of Pot if proceeded by Mosh).

The interface has had a subtle and welcome change, both visually and functionally. Very minor aesthetic changes but also a few changes to the advanced buttons and they've made all the secondary/advanced screens (such as the edit screen with the cursor controls etc) much more easily accessed.

A very good update all around it sounds like.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I don't like the change from blue to orange.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Mega Comrade posted:

I don't like the change from blue to orange.

I agree but on the actual keyboard the only blue>orange change is on the swype logo button. The website and such does feel suddenly garish though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Shanakin posted:

I agree but on the actual keyboard the only blue>orange change is on the swype logo button. The website and such does feel suddenly garish though.

It's the tracer being orange instead of blue I dislike rather then the logo change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Ticket
Jul 20, 2007
Has anyone else experienced ICS crashing due to Pocket Casts? It's getting really aggravating.

• Locked thread