Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

LastInLine posted:

I'm glad you got it on there but I'm not optimistic it's going to solve your battery issues.

Yeah, neither am I but it's worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cojawfee posted:

Why do you need a deodexed rom? People were saying they needed it to install google wallet, but I installed it just fine with my stock ROM.

Is there a way I can get a button that goes straight to the battery graph?

It sounds like a lot of the tweaks, like adding search button to the softkeys and the advanced power menu, require a deodexed ROM, but I'm not sure whether that's a hard requirement or just how the tweaks were made.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ciabatta posted:

It sounds like a lot of the tweaks, like adding search button to the softkeys and the advanced power menu, require a deodexed ROM, but I'm not sure whether that's a hard requirement or just how the tweaks were made.

Deodexed ROM is also required for certain themes like the UOT Kitchen.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

Must Love Dogs posted:

Yeah, neither am I but it's worth a shot.

Welp.

Time to flash 2.3.6 and relock my phone.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I have a fairly new Evo 3D which I did successfully root/S-OFF. It's running an older firmware (before they even added the screenshot feature) so I figure it's probably worth updating. I don't much feel like changing ROMs and setting stuff up from scratch again at the moment, so I'm fine sticking with the official stuff as long as I don't have to wipe.

Do I just need to find the latest rooted official update.zip on XDA and flash it from recovery? Simple as that?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

I have a fairly new Evo 3D which I did successfully root/S-OFF. It's running an older firmware (before they even added the screenshot feature) so I figure it's probably worth updating. I don't much feel like changing ROMs and setting stuff up from scratch again at the moment, so I'm fine sticking with the official stuff as long as I don't have to wipe.

Do I just need to find the latest rooted official update.zip on XDA and flash it from recovery? Simple as that?

You might clear your cache first, but it should be fine. There were radio updates so grab those if it doesn't include them.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Yep. Also, you might want to grab the latest TeamWin Recovery, since it's much easier to use than the alternatives.

Touch interface!

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Is the teamwin recovery compatible with all CWM-developed roms? I know I had to use a special recovery rather than official CWM when flashing some rom's on a MT4G Slide.

Speaking of said phone, I was under the impression that you could do a nandroid backup on one phone, and restore that backup on another phone of the same model. I got a new MT4G Slide for my wife to replace her dinged up one, and nandroided the dinged up one. I rooted the new one, went to restore the nandroid from the old one, and it stopped right there, claiming a MD5 error or similar. I saw there were "advanced restore" options, but I didn't want to gently caress up the phone if this type of thing isn't supported.

Any experience with this? Do nandroids only restore to the same hardware they were generated on?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Civil posted:

Is the teamwin recovery compatible with all CWM-developed roms? I know I had to use a special recovery rather than official CWM when flashing some rom's on a MT4G Slide.

Speaking of said phone, I was under the impression that you could do a nandroid backup on one phone, and restore that backup on another phone of the same model. I got a new MT4G Slide for my wife to replace her dinged up one, and nandroided the dinged up one. I rooted the new one, went to restore the nandroid from the old one, and it stopped right there, claiming a MD5 error or similar. I saw there were "advanced restore" options, but I didn't want to gently caress up the phone if this type of thing isn't supported.

Any experience with this? Do nandroids only restore to the same hardware they were generated on?

Different phones of the same model could possibly be different hardware revisions or have other negligible differences which would throw off a nandroid backup and restore. I've always thought it best to only use nandroid for the same device. Titanium Backup would work though.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Different phones of the same model could possibly be different hardware revisions or have other negligible differences which would throw off a nandroid backup and restore. I've always thought it best to only use nandroid for the same device. Titanium Backup would work though.
It should be the same hardware revision and everything - down to the HBOOT and recovery version, they're identical. Only thing off is the serial no.

I hadn't thought of Ti backup - can I essentially do a full ROM backup with it and restore to the new phone? I'm assuming I'd have to install the same stock rom to begin with, right?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Civil posted:

It should be the same hardware revision and everything - down to the HBOOT and recovery version, they're identical. Only thing off is the serial no.

I hadn't thought of Ti backup - can I essentially do a full ROM backup with it and restore to the new phone? I'm assuming I'd have to install the same stock rom to begin with, right?

Yeah you can use TB to back up all apps and system settings. You can restore that on another device and as long as it's the same model, recovery, radios, etc. it should be just fine. I don't know exactly why nandroid has problems between devices, but I've seen other people post about the same problem.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is it safe yet to consider putting some kind of ICS on my AT&T GS2?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Mega Comrade posted:

The GS2's bootloader isn't locked so rooting the SGS2 is pretty straight forward and hassle free, takes 5 minutes.

Is this the same with the E4GT? Also, is there a link to rooting steps that someone could share with me?

I'm hoping it's as easy as when I rooted my EVO with UnrEVOked.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Craptacular! posted:

I've been following ICS development on the GS2 and I haven't seen any releases with ICS at all yet. There's a libraries, drivers, and kernel sources that need to be available from Samsung before this is a possibility.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I've been following ICS development on the GS2 and I haven't seen any releases with ICS at all yet. There's a libraries, drivers, and kernel sources that need to be available from Samsung before this is a possibility.

There's a couple of fake ICS roms going around (MIUI springs to mind) that just use parts of the framework and edit the config files or whatever to say ICS.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

Outside of the Nexus devices, there's still no such thing as a "daily driver" ICS ROM for any phone yet.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ProjektorBoy posted:

Outside of the Nexus devices, there's still no such thing as a "daily driver" ICS ROM for any phone yet.

Sounds like the oficial Nexus S release is having problems too anyway, and even then Google only started with the GSM version. Last I looked the custom ones (for the NS4G anyway) had some pretty bad problems like being unable to receive texts.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

IRQ posted:

Sounds like the oficial Nexus S release is having problems too anyway, and even then Google only started with the GSM version.

The international GSM version is 100% fine in the OS itself - my phone has never run better.

The OTA seems to have killed video output in the stock recovery though on the LCD model though which is a bit worrying.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

IRQ posted:

Sounds like the oficial Nexus S release is having problems too anyway, and even then Google only started with the GSM version. Last I looked the custom ones (for the NS4G anyway) had some pretty bad problems like being unable to receive texts.

The US GSM version is rock solid. Better than the phone has ever been.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

My hardware issues to one side, stock ICS on my NS was great. I ran into no issues and it was smooth as it comes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

LastInLine posted:

The US GSM version is rock solid. Better than the phone has ever been.

Some people are bitching about having problems getting it to install. I don't know, I'm on the CDMA version.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Civil posted:

Back when I was replacing G2x's once a month I was restoring nandroids across devices constantly with no issue. When she sent her Nexus S to Samsung for repair about a month ago they shipped back a different one (without telling us) and I got the same MD5 error. I tried an older version of CWR thinking maybe it didn't used to check for the IMEI but I guess it did so I had to restore from Titanium.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Why hello thar.

Everything important works, touch of lag, various minor things are broken and you know its not optimized. The hilarious part? HTC has managed to make ICS feel like Gingerbread all over again.

Good job HTC, good job.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Why hello thar.

Everything important works, touch of lag, various minor things are broken and you know its not optimized. The hilarious part? HTC has managed to make ICS feel like Gingerbread all over again.

Good job HTC, good job.

Which device is that?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Sensation. An RUU escaped the clutches of HTC last night.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1403859

A little context.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Why hello thar.

Good job HTC, good job.
I don't think HTC has released any official ICS updates, so I'm not sure how whatever hacked together ROM you are using is HTC's fault.

edit: Ah, saw your followup. Well hopefully it's still in development, but all that really matters is the various ICS drivers and kernel source. Once they are rounded up, ICS ROMs will start showing up everywhere.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Hopefully. The RC guys aren't releasing the RUU they got a hold of, just the packaged ROM.

Edit: The GB comment wasn't a compliment though. It seriously just feels like Sense got tarted up a bit however this thing is legit. On the one hand it's nice to know HTC isn't dragging their feet and it's a work in progress. On the other hand....well, Sense. :-/

Edit again: Seriously, gently caress HTC's Touch Input. Worst loving keyboard.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 21, 2011

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I just hope this is enough to goad kmobs and toastcfh and the other devs in that CM9 team into releasing SOMETHING. Cool, I get that they want to release a beta that's relatively bug free and feature complete, but kmobs in particular is a shameless attention whore.

"Hay guys, here's some screenshots of my hardware accelerated ICS build that I've been using as a daily driver, it's great! No I'm not releasing it or even putting my source on git. Also I just got a Galaxy Nexus and left my Sensation at home for Christmas so development is pretty much stopped. But shower me with attention and beg for a release! Dance XDA monkeys!" He does this like twice a week and acts all offended when people finally started calling him out on the attention whoring.

Maybe they'll release an alpha to get back in the spotlight now that HTC ICS builds are leaking out. Maybe.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Leathal posted:

Maybe they'll release an alpha to get back in the spotlight now that HTC ICS builds are leaking out. Maybe.

No. He'll just get all pissy and start name calling people for random poo poo that he finds insulting.

Edit: Ok, Face Unlock is the poo poo and it's fast enough that it's easily used for daily use.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 21, 2011

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

If you want to try ICS on your sensation and are fine with everything being hosed up and broken, there's a guy on modaco that has an alpha rom.

And yeah, Keyan needs to knock it off. I want to keep up with the progress, but the only thing he does on G+ is whip out his schlong for people to stroke every now and then.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ProjektorBoy posted:

The Evo 4G ics-deck ROM is pretty much there. The only major missing feature is support for the hardware video codec, so the camera doesn't work and video playback is wonky. WiMax is also missing, but that's a much lower priority for most given the limited availability and battery cost.

I've used the ROM as an almost daily for the last few releases, only switching back to CM7.1 when I'm traveling or otherwise would like the camera to be available, and it hasn't given me any trouble.

It's expected that the camera and video playback will be fixed by the same thing, so once that's done I'd call this ROM at least beta daily driver grade.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

wolrah posted:

The Evo 4G ics-deck ROM is pretty much there. The only major missing feature is support for the hardware video codec, so the camera doesn't work and video playback is wonky. WiMax is also missing, but that's a much lower priority for most given the limited availability and battery cost.

I've used the ROM as an almost daily for the last few releases, only switching back to CM7.1 when I'm traveling or otherwise would like the camera to be available, and it hasn't given me any trouble.

It's expected that the camera and video playback will be fixed by the same thing, so once that's done I'd call this ROM at least beta daily driver grade.

Other than being on ICS, what other daily driver improvements do you notice in ICS vs Gingerbread that lead you to favor ICS unless you need the camera?

Does face unlock work? I'd ask if the camera is faster but.. heh heh. :v:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I see HTC went the Samsung way of copying all their assets from Froyo and bastardizing ICS. Ugh :negative:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mark Larson posted:

Other than being on ICS, what other daily driver improvements do you notice in ICS vs Gingerbread that lead you to favor ICS unless you need the camera?

Does face unlock work? I'd ask if the camera is faster but.. heh heh. :v:

I'm pretty sure face unlock uses the camera to identify your face, so if the camera doesn't work...

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

flyboi posted:

I see HTC went the Samsung way of copying all their assets from Froyo and bastardizing ICS. Ugh :negative:

To be fair, it seems they've tailored sense at least somewhat for ICS.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Experto Crede posted:

To be fair, it seems they've tailored sense at least somewhat for ICS.

"Somewhat" is being a bit generous. As it sits right now it's random ICS bits and pieces shoehorned into Sense.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

So this is really daily drive worthy.

TMOUS Sensation (I'm using the latest TMOUS radio, not the one listed on the ROM link)

Runs good. It's a touch stuttery but not slow. Sense breaks some of the Google widgets like Calendar and you're stuck with the Sense lock screen. You're also stuck with Sense's Settings menus which are loving awful. Everything works as far as I can tell; Camera, FFC, video, Face Unlock, BT, WiFi. Added bonus of the dev's ~~*CUSTOM*~~ boot splash which makes you hate everything ever but you know, XDA.

First boot takes loving forever and I would give it a couple of reboots after it's done syncing before going wild.

Edit: poo poo, sorry about the double post.

Also, HTC + ICS = :negative:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 21, 2011

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So this is really daily drive worthy.

TMOUS Sensation (I'm using the latest TMOUS radio, not the one listed on the ROM link)

Runs good. It's a touch stuttery but not slow. Sense breaks some of the Google widgets like Calendar and you're stuck with the Sense lock screen. You're also stuck with Sense's Settings menus which are loving awful. Everything works as far as I can tell; Camera, FFC, video, Face Unlock, BT, WiFi. Added bonus of the dev's ~~*CUSTOM*~~ boot splash which makes you hate everything ever but you know, XDA.

First boot takes loving forever and I would give it a couple of reboots after it's done syncing before going wild.

Edit: poo poo, sorry about the double post.

Also, HTC + ICS = :negative:
From the thread, it sounds like there are issues with the music player, wifi, and lots of random app force closures and reboots on waking.

Are you happier with this than you were with the 2.3 roms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Civil posted:

From the thread, it sounds like there are issues with the music player, wifi, and lots of random app force closures and reboots on waking.

Are you happier with this than you were with the 2.3 roms?

Issues I've found so far:
- Swiping gestures are off a hair.
- WIFI works fine but sometimes the notification shows no signal.
- BT works but A2DP doesn't.
- Defininetly not CM fast but I don't have any complaints.

CM7 is a better ROM but I got sick of the 8 hours of battery life. I definitely like this better than stock 2.3 Sense though. Pretty nice for an initial alpha release.

Haven't had any reboots or a single FC of any kind.