Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

HPL posted:

It's not even a normal hot shoe at that.

One thing I'd love to see from Sony is interchangeable hot shoes on their DSLR line. Like the old days where some old film SLRs didn't come with hot shoes and you would get one that would screw on on top of the prism. It wouldn't be something you'd be changing out constantly, more of a "set it and forget it" thing.

I guess the down side would be that you wouldn't be able to get TTL out of anything with a regular hot shoe because all the Alpha flashes would have the Alpha shoe.
Sony does make an adapter which lets you mount ISO-standard flashes, it's good for stuff like radio poppers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Leaked pictures of Fuji's new mirrorless: http://photorumors.com/2011/11/15/fuji-mirrorless-camera-leaked/#more-15512

Edit: From the comments

quote:

My photo finisher mentioned it to me Friday. He is a Fuji distributor, the Fuji rep told him, the model is the Fuji LX, APS-C sensor, 3 lenses to start with – from the Chinese website, it appears to be an 18mm f/2, a 35mm 1f/1.4 and a 60mm something and the body will be priced @ 1,400. It will be called the Fuji LX. He said that it wouldn’t be available until Spring 2012. It’s going to be demonstrated at CES 2012 in January though.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 15, 2011

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Cacator posted:

Leaked pictures of Fuji's new mirrorless: http://photorumors.com/2011/11/15/fuji-mirrorless-camera-leaked/#more-15512

Edit: From the comments

I wonder how the optical viewfinder is supposed to work. Maybe it will only work for a few select lenses, and when the lens is attached it will move to a pre-calibrated 18 mm or 35 mm position so it will work with the primes. And maybe it will work with the zoom too as long as it's not a long telephoto.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you can superimpose things on the OVF, you could put frame lines on it.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I want to get a m4/3s camera, something that's been out for a while and isn't too expensive. Is there anything going on like custom firmware for any specific model? Something like magic lantern on the t2i?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

ease posted:

I want to get a m4/3s camera, something that's been out for a while and isn't too expensive. Is there anything going on like custom firmware for any specific model? Something like magic lantern on the t2i?

I don't have one, but the Panasonic GH2 has hacks that increase the video quality substantially.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

The leaked Fuji stuff looks pretty exciting, I'm not really tempted to sell my X100 in anticipation, but I'm looking forward to the iterations that will follow.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Cacator posted:

I don't have one, but the Panasonic GH2 has hacks that increase the video quality substantially.

You can also do video at 12800 ISO, and video at 2fps for some neat timelapse stuff.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

getsuga posted:

Make sure you set custom keys. I've got right click set on ISO, and center button on WB, D-range, and Focusing. Makes it a lot easier than having to click like fifty times to get where you want to go through the stupid menu system.
Thanks for that advice. Got around to setting up my custom buttons tonight, and it makes a world of difference. I wonder why they don't ship the phone with the custom center button enabled by default.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
So I'm going to get a nex5 I think, probably before xmas.

What do all the letters mean at the end of the 5?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nex5&x=0&y=0

Nex5k/b, Nex5a/b, Nex5k Nex5K/S......

Nex5n which I think is the next generation nex5?

This is as confusing as Nikon poo poo.

ease fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 17, 2011

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
the /b or /s is black or silver

nex-5n is the newest model

i assume that the k stands for kit, meaning you get the 16mm and the 18-55mm with it

edit: on closer look i have no idea what the k stands for

Skam fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 17, 2011

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

The 5n has an EVF accessory available, if that may be of interest you.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Is the regular 5 much cheaper than the 5n? I just got a 5n and it seemed like there were great deals on the 3, and pretty good deals on the 5n, with the 5 being close to the 3 in performance and close to the 5n in price.

Maybe that's only if you get the 16mm though, I wasn't looking for the 18-55 alone.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Mest0r posted:

The leaked Fuji stuff looks pretty exciting, I'm not really tempted to sell my X100 in anticipation, but I'm looking forward to the iterations that will follow.

Notice how a 35mm equivalent is absent? They have a 28, a 50, and a 90mm. The thing is, if the LX is amazing, I'd want to sell the X100 and get just the LX with a 35-e and the 90-e, I don't want to carry two cameras. I really hope the lenses are really pancake sized.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
If the Fuji LX lives up to my considerable expectations, I'd probably dump my Canon gear to get it.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

Notice how a 35mm equivalent is absent? They have a 28, a 50, and a 90mm. The thing is, if the LX is amazing, I'd want to sell the X100 and get just the LX with a 35-e and the 90-e, I don't want to carry two cameras. I really hope the lenses are really pancake sized.

I noticed that, which I thought it was quite odd. All I'd really want out of the X100 I have now would be to be able to switch between a 35mm and 50mm. I can't imagine Fuji not eventually producing a 35mm-equivalent lens though for the LX. I'm actually pretty interested how the frame lines are going to be handled or better yet, the manual focusing.

Not UNIX
Mar 29, 2005
It was stupid speculation when the WSJ reported it, and it's stupid speculation now. It's never going to happen.

ease posted:

So I'm going to get a nex5 I think, probably before xmas.

What do all the letters mean at the end of the 5?
The 5N is the updated model, differences include: 16.1MP versus 14.2MP, addition of 100 and 25600 ISO, touchscreen, optional EVF, faster continuous drive (10fps versus 5-7fps), and the 5N is negligibly lighter.

5K/5NK means it comes with the 18-55mm lens. /B and /S are the color, as was already mentioned, and the manual mentions other kits that I never actually saw when I was shopping for one. (5D/5ND is 18-55mm and 16mm, and 5Y/5NY is 18-55mm and 55-210mm)

Geek USSR
Mar 24, 2011
I'm a Nikon D90 user and want to get my dad a new digital camera for Christmas. He uses a 5 year old Olympus P/S right now, so I was thinking of getting him a DSLR.

However, I saw this on Costco's website. It looks like a decent price. Is the camera any good? http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11679789&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC

I've googled it and read reviews, but I'd like to hear from y'all.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

Geek USSR posted:

I'm a Nikon D90 user and want to get my dad a new digital camera for Christmas. He uses a 5 year old Olympus P/S right now, so I was thinking of getting him a DSLR.

However, I saw this on Costco's website. It looks like a decent price. Is the camera any good? http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11679789&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC

I've googled it and read reviews, but I'd like to hear from y'all.

depends on what kind of shots he takes. I love my GF2 because i can take it everywhere in my bag or pocket with the 20mm lens. That's amazing if you're the sort who likes doing street photography, or just generally carrying the thing everywhere. I find i take waaay more photos now due to that.

m43s cameras can also use all manner of legacy lenses. Because the M4/3 sensors are so close to the lens mount, it means you can basically put any DSLR lens on them. All the adapters need to do is put some more distance between the sensor and the lens.

The E-PL1 is even better for legacy lenses than my panasonic since it has in body image stabilization. You can fit any old lens on it and it will stabilize it for you.

It's drawbacks are the focus speed, which is notoriously bad, and the fact that it is an older generation of camera now - but as I understand it the PL1 still uses the same sensor as the higher end models.

The key thing with that deal though is that you aren't getting any pancake lenses with it, so if you want it to be portable you'd need to drop some cash for a 17 or 20mm pancake. The kit zooms included there aren't huge, but certainly aren't pocketable. That being said, I think that price is decent, and it will be a huuge step up from any point and shoot. Even an s100.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

Buy an old AI 50mm manual focus lens. It doesent make any send to spend extra money for an autofocus lens if you're just going to use it on a body that won't support AF. A MF lens will also probably be much more compact and built better.
And if you need to focus manually, an AI lens will have a much better ring, with a much lower gearing allowing you to be more precise.

HPL posted:

If you can superimpose things on the OVF, you could put frame lines on it.
The most awesome thing would be to superimpose peaking info onto an OVF.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 18, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Maybe a stupid question but I'm new to the micro 4/3rds thing so don't know where to start.

I've borrowed a Panasonic G1 (considering replacing my 30D with one) and it seems my old go-to DxO doesn't support the RAW format and the software on the Panasonic website won't work on a 64bit OS. What is my best option for a RAW convertor that will work on Windows 7 x64? Would prefer not to buy anything just yet as I'm not sold on the camera.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Do you not have Photoshop or Lightroom?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

There's a 30 day trial of lightroom that would probably be a good bet. Otherwise maybe Picasa?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

My dad bought an NEX-5N today.

Test image:

In comparison:

The kit lens isn't great but it's nowhere near as bad as I've heard it might be. The intensive menu-based UI I'm not a fan of (main reason why I didn't go with NEX in the first place), but it's a definite improvement over the older models. Biggest advantage over m4/3 is by far dynamic range. However, the E-P3's OLED touchscreen is nicer. :colbert:

I still want an X100.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 20, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mr. Despair posted:

There's a 30 day trial of lightroom that would probably be a good bet. Otherwise maybe Picasa?

Cool didn't think of looking for a trial.

I've never had much luck with Picasa and RAWs from my Canon camera, they never look anything like they do through DPP (which is a surprisingly useful bit of software for something bundled with a camera)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Does the 5N's RAW files work with Lightroom? I have waited a week to get used to the camera's jpeg processing to even pursue raw, but I've read a number of posts on various forums from people having issues in Lightroom (which I am considering getting). I am pretty pleased with the colors and quality on the jpegs, so no huge rush, but having not dealt with RAW before I would like to check it out.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

rio posted:

Does the 5N's RAW files work with Lightroom? I have waited a week to get used to the camera's jpeg processing to even pursue raw, but I've read a number of posts on various forums from people having issues in Lightroom (which I am considering getting). I am pretty pleased with the colors and quality on the jpegs, so no huge rush, but having not dealt with RAW before I would like to check it out.

The picture of the Olympus I took was taken in RAW and converted in Lightroom. What are the issues it's supposed to have?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Just random forum posts saying that they could not get the files recognized by Lightroom. I think a few of them were from shortly after the phone was released, which might explain it, and others were probably just random problem havers. Thanks for the confirmation, think I will check out the trial.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

It works fine in 3.5, just make sure you are updated

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

getsuga posted:

I use a Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 on my nex 5n. Nice bokeh, and makes night shooting a breeze. Unfortunately with the adapter the length of the lens becomes slightly longer than the kit zoom. Peak focusing makes the lens really easy to focus. They're around $100 on ebay.

Thanks for this, i got one a few days ago and have been getting some great photos

i was also using an old £10 chinon 50mm 1.9 why i waited which created some surprisingly nice photos. Now im just trying to resist the urge to run down to the market and grab more

not the greatest photo (got a load i need to run through photoshop) but this was taken with the 50mm 1.4 if anyone is intrested

Eco Friendly travel by scott1928, on Flickr

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Skam posted:

Thanks for this, i got one a few days ago and have been getting some great photos

i was also using an old £10 chinon 50mm 1.9 why i waited which created some surprisingly nice photos. Now im just trying to resist the urge to run down to the market and grab more

not the greatest photo (got a load i need to run through photoshop) but this was taken with the 50mm 1.4 if anyone is intrested

Eco Friendly travel by scott1928, on Flickr
Looks like a nice photo to me, at least in terms of the lens itself. People make too big of a deal of image quality at 100% magnification.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I always snicker at the "this lens is sharp in the middle and soft in the corners at wide open aperture!" complaints because I mean come on, if you're shooting at wide open, chances are you don't even care about the corners.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I don't browse any x100 dedicated forums any more, but for you guys who have one and have been waiting for a good wide angle solution:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1068972

That's the first one of these I've seen that surprised me with how well it's worked.

Sorry if it's old news to anybody.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OK I have a blog, haven't touched it for months. Even time I am reminded of it I hate myself a little bit mor. I am sending money to godaddy for nothing.

And since the holiday is close I have nothing to do at work, I thought I will update my blog a little bit. I am reposting the interesting tadbits here, figure its useful information.

So I had a Canon QL17 II rangefinder for a few years, like this one.

I forgot to took pictures before I sent it to a feller.

He did a nice conversion for me, here it is.

Here it is what it looks like on the NEX

Here it is with the Konica AR 40mm 1.8 (w/ the NEX adapter) on the right.

I also got a Minox 35 lens from that guy. He converted it to CCTV C-mount. So I have to get a NEX-C adapter first. This full frame lens is mind blowingly small. Looking forward to try it out.

A quite walk around test showed that the QL17 II lens is not particularly sharp. But the boheh is very smooth in vast majority of the time. Even f/2.0 is very usable. Focus throw is short. Minimum focus distance is short at 30cm, but I can literally unscrew the front half of the lens out if object is too close. I have to put a stopper there when I have time. Its pretty bad shooting against light, I doubt the lens has coating on it.

The gen 2 version of QL17 was made in very short period of time before the gen 3 came out. So this lens is 40 years old. The rangefinder was not in great shape when I sent it in. I am glad the good bits can keep rocking in front of modern sensor.

This one is taken at f/2

I did some more testing shoots over the weekend. What I have found really interesting impressive about the lens is that how smooth the mid range bokeh is. I can have a portroit face in the background out of foucs and I will get a smooth rendering in almost any distant.

Also, compare to my Konica AR 40/1.8, the f/1.7 f/2 is more usable. The Konica IME is a sharper lens in smaller aperture and in infinity, but f/1.8 is pretty useless to me. I get the halo type brightness on the focus point, I don't know what to call them.

Here is a few more photos that showcase front and rear bokeh of teh QL17II at close distant.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
That is aweeeesome. I had a QL17 III a few years ago and loved it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Okay, hotshots. Olympus E-PL3 with kit 17mm f/2.8 or Sony NEX-5N with kit 18-55? They're roughly the same price.

Or E-PM1 with kit lens for $400 and then buy a pancake lens later?

High ISO performance is important to me, but I'd be stuck with f/3.5 on the Sony kit versus f/2.8 with the Olympus lens so it would be kind of a wash.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
You'd only be stuck until you got a new lens, no? And the Nex5n sensor is bigger than canon crop dslr sensors. The low light stuff should look great.

The PL3 has in body stabilization so that's something to think about especially for video. Personally I've weighed this before and I have my eyes set on the 5n.

ease fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 20, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ease posted:

You'd only be stuck until you got a new lens, no? And the Nex5n sensor is bigger than canon crop dslr sensors. The low light stuff should look great.

Except for the whole affordable prime debacle that is the NEX system as discussed earlier. Like I said, if Sony had a $400 30mm f/2 NEX pancake, it would be no contest.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

Except for the whole affordable prime debacle that is the NEX system as discussed earlier. Like I said, if Sony had a $400 30mm f/2 NEX pancake, it would be no contest.

Sony's pretty committed to primes though, I read an interview on Sony Alpha Rumors yesterday that there are more in the pipeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

HPL posted:

Or E-PM1 with kit lens for $400 and then buy a pancake lens later?

I haven't heard the greatest things about the 17mm. For pancakes you'd be better off with the 20mm f1.7 or the 14mm f2.5 which are fairly affordable, hell if you buy the 14 on eBay it's like $200 which is fantastic and the lens itself is absolutely tiny. My E-P3 with the 20mm performs better in low-light than the NEX-5N with the kit lens in my experience, but at there's definitely more noticeable ISO noise.