Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

NonsenseWords posted:

A fun footnote is that the Playstation version, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete, was eventually localized and released, and Working Designs added a special bromide (a collectable picture, basically) to the game, not present in the original Japanese. The bromide itself depicted one of the villains, Borgan; clutched in his hand, the Dark Scimitar.

The caption? "That fat bastard had it all along!"

I never thought a company could rival Rareware in their ability to troll their fanbase. This is the most amazing thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Did the Complete version eventually add a working Scimitar to the game? Because that would be an even bigger troll if you still couldn't get it :cawg:

Reive
May 21, 2009

I love that kind of stuff, developers intentionally fueling rumors.

Reminds me of the designer or something of Shadow of the Colossus saying in some interview years after release that there was still one big secret left that no one had found yet, and despite everyone looking for it and even data mining the game it seems like everything had already been uncovered.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Well, I couldn't leave my creepypasta in the state it was in. I just had to get this next part written before work destroys my soul.

Part 5! Wherein actual plot happens, and I hope to finally justify The Princess Society's role in this story.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

I'm liking this so far. It's moving fast enough to stay interesting, and there's enough of a supernatural element to be unsettling (I actually had a hard time falling asleep a few nights ago because I kept thinking about the Princess) but not enough to be over the top.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Rocketlex posted:

Well, I couldn't leave my creepypasta in the state it was in. I just had to get this next part written before work destroys my soul.

Part 5! Wherein actual plot happens, and I hope to finally justify The Princess Society's role in this story.

I think my favorite part, so far, is that you haven't actually showed us a picture of her. The description itself leaves enough to the imagination that a picture might ruin the mystique. Keep going!

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Rocketlex posted:

This is really well done and is honestly the only reason I check the thread anymore.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

These goon-written stories (Pale Luna, the Princess, Fallout 2 Paris Edition and Defcon AI malfunction) are probably the best creepy video game fiction I have ever read, as opposed to all those popular AND THEN IT IS MELISSA FALLING OFF A MOON SO I CRIED WATCHING A PIXEL PERSON HOLDING MY REALISTIC PORTRAIT. It's like SA-produced LPs versus lovely youtube LPs :allears:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

AND THEN IT IS MELISSA FALLING OFF A MOON SO I CRIED WATCHING A PIXEL PERSON HOLDING MY REALISTIC PORTRAIT

ALSO, BLAST PROCESSING

You are right, though, it's amazing what happens when someone with an ounce of competence tries their hand at something. Although the other stories are still entertaining to read, in that so-bad-they're-awful kind of way.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

XkyRauh posted:

I think my favorite part, so far, is that you haven't actually showed us a picture of her. The description itself leaves enough to the imagination that a picture might ruin the mystique.

And there never will be, because I suck at Photoshop.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Reive posted:

I love that kind of stuff, developers intentionally fueling rumors.

Agreed. Which brings me to this post.

I seem to recall some time after Mega Man 9 was released, Capcom made an announcement that there was something in the game that hadn't been discovered yet. That could very well be a hoax to keep the sales up and maintain interest until MM10, but I don't know. Does anybody know what I'm talking about, maybe have a link about the subject, or am I just misremembering?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I also remember when Braid was the biggest game on the internet that the creator of the game claimed that no one had figured out either one secret in the game, or another interpretation of the story. This was after people had figured out the atomic bomb storyline, or people had found the stars in the level. He still claimed there was more. However, some people seemed to think he was just bitter because people found them too easily, and he was just making something else up to just make the game seem deep again.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I think he was referring to the game's over-arching theme of "obsession is bad, and causes people to do bad things," which hadn't really been explored yet at that point. I think.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Strontium posted:

Agreed. Which brings me to this post.

I seem to recall some time after Mega Man 9 was released, Capcom made an announcement that there was something in the game that hadn't been discovered yet. That could very well be a hoax to keep the sales up and maintain interest until MM10, but I don't know. Does anybody know what I'm talking about, maybe have a link about the subject, or am I just misremembering?

That did happen, and as far as I know we've never found out what it was.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Taear posted:

Incidentally I love the stuff about Secret Of Evermore. Even if it's not true, the game lends itself to having things like that written about it. There are lots of bits that feel "off". There are so many amulets of annihalation (I think they're the one, the ones that you give to the boatman) avaliable in the marketplace that it always felt to me like they meant to do more with them than just that.

There are a crapload of weird secrets in that game! One of my favorites for the SNES. Great eery and atmospheric music as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZpcjZEP2aM

There was a secret way to get pretty much unlimited amulets, they were used in a secret alchemical spell. You had to haggle with the guy who traded rice for amulets, if you pushed him too hard he'd never trade with you again but you could get something like an amulet for 10 bags of rice.

I think that game is due for a replay soon...

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Strontium posted:

When the first trailers for Mega Man Universe were coming out, Capcom's community liaisons said that not only was the MM9 secret still at large, the developers put a similar one into MM10. My guess is it won't be found until Wii emulation catches up to where people can pick apart the code like they can with NES games.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

pokecapn posted:

When the first trailers for Mega Man Universe were coming out, Capcom's community liaisons said that not only was the MM9 secret still at large, the developers put a similar one into MM10. My guess is it won't be found until Wii emulation catches up to where people can pick apart the code like they can with NES games.

We're at the point of Wii(ware) TASes. I kinda get the feeling they were bullshitting.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

We're at the point of Wii(ware) TASes. I kinda get the feeling they were bullshitting.

If this sequence of letters shows up on any of their games, then it's guaranteed.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004
My hands are soaked in Darling blood, but I finished the story I mentioned a few pages back.

After reading through that Godzilla saga, I couldn't sit on my hands anymore, so I outlined a simple story of my own and wrote a couple of drafts. One more pass with a butcher's knife, some last minute tweaking, and I think it's done. The insecure child in me has all sorts of disclaimers and preemptive notes he wants to bring up here, but in the interest of not seeming defensive about a story no one's even read yet, I'll just link it and keep my mouth shut: Comorbidity

I don't claim that I'm of any particular writing ability, but looking it over I'm very pleased with how it turned out, and I'm satisfied that I've accomplished what I set out to.

If you read it and have any comments or questions, I'm all ears.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Farbtoner posted:

It has nothing to do with them being women and everything to do with them trying to act like it's a big surprise and they've totally never played through it before by gasping and crying out and every tiny little thing.

This is why Amnesia LPs are terrible. If I ever manage to scrounge up some time and a better microphone and headset, I think I should make a decent one.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

pokecapn posted:

Yeah, it's only been in the last few years that people were able to pick apart N64 games and find all kinds of weirdness. Like the Arwing in Ocarina of Time which was allegedly used to test the game's unique (at the time) aiming system. What I'm getting at is whatever MM9's secret is that it will be found one day.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Crackmaster posted:

Comorbidity

Not bad, but you need to focus more on the "offerings" - it went from "wandering around the house" to lopping off limbs really fast without much description of how the whole thing works (plus the hole in the wall comes out of nowhere).

I'd add a bit more meat to that section, and maybe focus on Allan's motivations to keep playing. Why did he devote himself to this seemingly (at first) boring Mac game?

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.

Rocketlex posted:

This is getting very good. I will, however, have to off-internet slap you if this whole thing ends in a "princess in another castle" pun. Not that it couldn't show up at some point, it simply shouldn't be the end.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Herobotic posted:

This is getting very good. I will, however, have to off-internet slap you if this whole thing ends in a "princess in another castle" pun. Not that it couldn't show up at some point, it simply shouldn't be the end.

God drat you I don't have space to fit in a gag about this but now I really want to.

Just imagine I wrote a short piece where Mario completes a castle in Super Mario Bros, only for the Toad at the end to be replaced by an 8-bit rendition of The Princess, at which point the ending text reads. "THANK YOU MARIO! BUT OUR PRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESS---" repeating forever until the game crashes.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Yeah, it's only been in the last few years that people were able to pick apart N64 games and find all kinds of weirdness. Like the Arwing in Ocarina of Time which was allegedly used to test the game's unique (at the time) aiming system. What I'm getting at is whatever MM9's secret is that it will be found one day.

Capcom is actually more likely to be full of it than anything else; Mihara of Arika / Tetris: The Grandmaster fame was quoted as saying that there was more levels than the "level 1300" cap in the hardest mode, but the game has actually been reverse-engineered (!) and it turned out he was flat-out full of it.

It's a fairly easy way to add fake replay value to a game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Getting away from scary stories and back to hoaxes for a moment, I remember another one.

Maderley's Safe in Deus Ex.

One of the details of Manderley's office is his hidden safe. Behind his bookshelf, it waits, unopenable. If you used the ghost mode cheat, you could noclip into it and find that it contained a weapon mod; Zoom, I think. But you couldn't pick it up in ghost mode.

If there's a way to get inside, nobody knows. I know I've tried everything I could think of. Explosions, cheating, trying to manipulate the NPCs into break into it. Nothing works. :iiam:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

NonsenseWords posted:

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue - Dark Scimitar

Although I've never heard of the game, I've played other games where they mention items in the manual or in the strategy guide that don't actually exist.

In the Planescape: Torment strategy guide there's a whole list of teeth for Morte as well as some other random weapons that even after playing the game countless times and going through every enemy and every box I am yet to find. I know that at least one has been mentioned as not existing. I assume that the writers of the guide were just given a big list of items and stats before things were cut, or just not actually placed.

However - outside Trias' room in Curst there's a cabinet that is absolutely packed with magical weapons. All with quite in-depth descriptions. I think there are four of them in there? Perhaps even five. This is quite near the end of the game as well. I always wondered if the developers realised that they'd created these items and written descriptions of them and then neglected to actually put them into the game anywhere so just went mad with this single cabinet.

I realise absolutely shitloads was cut/broken/etc with the game, but for some reason that cabinet has really stayed with me. It was like reaching the last boss of the game and in a box before them was a pile of middle of the road artifacts that would have been useful earlier but now were wasted - why even bother putting them there?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The manual for Sonic 3 showed an illustration for a mouse type robot. That enemy didn't show up until Sonic and Knuckles. Which makes sense considering they were both one game at one point more than likely.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

IUG posted:

The manual for Sonic 3 showed an illustration for a mouse type robot. That enemy didn't show up until Sonic and Knuckles. Which makes sense considering they were both one game at one point more than likely.

Yeah that's the explanation for this one. They cut it in 2 due to space limitations on the cartridges, so it probably just ended up in the manual due to someone not double checking. That kind of poo poo happened all the time back then.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Crackmaster posted:

My hands are soaked in Darling blood, but I finished the story I mentioned a few pages back.

After reading through that Godzilla saga, I couldn't sit on my hands anymore, so I outlined a simple story of my own and wrote a couple of drafts. One more pass with a butcher's knife, some last minute tweaking, and I think it's done. The insecure child in me has all sorts of disclaimers and preemptive notes he wants to bring up here, but in the interest of not seeming defensive about a story no one's even read yet, I'll just link it and keep my mouth shut: Comorbidity

I don't claim that I'm of any particular writing ability, but looking it over I'm very pleased with how it turned out, and I'm satisfied that I've accomplished what I set out to.

I really like this. I get the strong sense it was inspired by Pale Luna, which isn't a bad thing at all.

My one big note, as others have mentioned, is that I wasn't quite following the gameplay of the game as you described it. Specifically, how exactly offerings worked was a bit unclear. Was the idea that you just typed in a body part and the game does the rest, or was finding items and hacking them off an actual part of the gameplay? A little more description on this specific element would have really helped me follow along.

tree fell on truck
Dec 7, 2003

the tree just wanted a hug

Anatharon posted:

Getting away from scary stories and back to hoaxes for a moment, I remember another one.

Maderley's Safe in Deus Ex.

One of the details of Manderley's office is his hidden safe. Behind his bookshelf, it waits, unopenable. If you used the ghost mode cheat, you could noclip into it and find that it contained a weapon mod; Zoom, I think. But you couldn't pick it up in ghost mode.

If there's a way to get inside, nobody knows. I know I've tried everything I could think of. Explosions, cheating, trying to manipulate the NPCs into break into it. Nothing works. :iiam:
There was one where the combination was never mentioned in game, but it got either brute-forced or someone found it in the source. Is this the same safe, or a different one? I haven't played DE in forever...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

tree fell on truck posted:

There was one where the combination was never mentioned in game, but it got either brute-forced or someone found it in the source. Is this the same safe, or a different one? I haven't played DE in forever...

I don't think it's that one, but I do remember what you're talking about.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Rocketlex posted:

God drat you I don't have space to fit in a gag about this but now I really want to.

Just imagine I wrote a short piece where Mario completes a castle in Super Mario Bros, only for the Toad at the end to be replaced by an 8-bit rendition of The Princess, at which point the ending text reads. "THANK YOU MARIO! BUT OUR PRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESSPRINCESS---" repeating forever until the game crashes.

This is great, write this story up as one of the encounters from a board member.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Semiru posted:

Not bad, but you need to focus more on the "offerings" - it went from "wandering around the house" to lopping off limbs really fast without much description of how the whole thing works (plus the hole in the wall comes out of nowhere).

I'd add a bit more meat to that section, and maybe focus on Allan's motivations to keep playing. Why did he devote himself to this seemingly (at first) boring Mac game?

Rocketlex posted:

Specifically, how exactly offerings worked was a bit unclear. Was the idea that you just typed in a body part and the game does the rest, or was finding items and hacking them off an actual part of the gameplay?

Thanks for the time, guys! Specific comments like these are wonderful, I really appreciate the effort.

The lack of detail about the offering mechanic was something I struggled with. I was worried dwelling on it would make the story significantly less believable; I'm not actually interested in fooling anyone, but I wanted "reasonably plausible" and felt like too many intricate notes about something that happened fourteen years ago would be a disappointing giveaway. I think the things I have in there now are distinct enough that I could be expected to remember them, but I was worried about going over the top by adding too much. I suppose I went under the bottom instead.

For the record, yes, the idea was that you simply had to guess the right word or phrase to type in, and the game would do the rest.

The hole in the wall was supposed to be an extension of the eyelash in the kitchen drawer, the plan being to keep adding more and more of your body to the house itself. Maybe one or two more examples after the first one would have made it easier to make the connection.

The fact that the other character dives headfirst into something that doesn't seem so interesting at first glance is just a case of basic things like considering a character's motivation going right the gently caress over my head. I honestly didn't even think about it, I have no idea why it never occurred to me.

And it was, in fact, inspired by Pale Luna, which is my favorite of the stories I've read so far.

Now I have to ask a very stupid question: is the etiquette with stories like this to take the advice and actually edit the blog post to address the problems, or should I just take the lessons to heart for any stories I write in the future?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I liked that one. Nothing supernatural, no BLAST PROCESSING, just a really, really weird loving game. I'm sure someone around here could whip it up in a couple hours even.

If you feel like editing it, you might as well. I don't think anyone will fault your etiquette in either case.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah that's the explanation for this one. They cut it in 2 due to space limitations on the cartridges, so it probably just ended up in the manual due to someone not double checking. That kind of poo poo happened all the time back then.

Doesn't Sonic 2's manual contain a few beta screenshots as well?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think that's the one with the desert stage that was beginning to be developed and then never made it in. There was also Hidden Palace zone and a Wood-related zone that actually are in the game, but you can't get to them without level select and they aren't finished.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 21, 2011

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Taear posted:

stuff that was in the manual

I remember reading the manual for The Legend of Zelda and seeing something to the effect that Pols Voice (big-eared jumping things) hated loud sounds. So, I tried time and time again to get some effect out of them with the Flute. Of course, nothing happened.

As it turns out, that line referred to an effect in the Japanese version where you could blow into the microphone on Controller 2 to blow away all the Pols Voices on the screen. I can only assume that the people translating the game were not working fully with the people translating the manual. Or else they took it as flavor text. Or possibly they hated us. Who knows.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Taear posted:

Planescape: Torment stuff

This reminds me of another thing my friends probably still think is true. Hearing that things had been cut in the development process and upon seeing the ending of Planescape: Torment they started telling everyone who talked about the game that it sucked because 'The only ending they put in the game was the evil ending' assumedly because they loving didn't pay attention to the dialog in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

redmercer posted:

I can only assume that the people translating the game were not working fully with the people translating the manual.

This is pretty much it yeah. That was pretty much the standard of the time, the fact that Metroid's manual calls Samus a "he" wasn't deception as much as not knowing.