Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anabatica
Feb 17, 2006

by angerbutt

AceClown posted:

Why are they crooked, don't know if it's becuase its late, but I can't work that out.

I don't knooowwww. I mean, obviously the water was moving, but I don't think it should do that?

And I don't think the pattern could be lens distortion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
I finally got round to trying some night time photos with my nex 5 last night

excuse the very generic subjects, im still very new to this and just wanted a place to practice.

I need to invest in a real tripod since all i have is a small flexible one.

Any tips would be appreciated,

DSC00970 by scott1928, on Flickr

DSC00958 by scott1928, on Flickr

DSC00994 by scott1928, on Flickr

DSC00975 by scott1928, on Flickr

how do i get it to do the dedicated flickr links?

edit: VVV Thanks, fixed links now

Skam fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 18, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Skam posted:

I finally got round to trying some night time photos with my nex 5 last night

excuse the very generic subjects, im still very new to this and just wanted a place to practice.

I need to invest in a real tripod since all i have is a small flexible one.

Any tips would be appreciated,

how do i get it to do the dedicated flickr links?

On the flickr page there should be a "share" , on the dropdown that pops up click "grab the html/bbcode", select bbcode, and it'll give you a link that you can paste right into your post.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Falco posted:

A rule I heard at one point to judge how long of an exposure you can get away with before star trails come into play is 600/focal length. So in my case 600/17 gives me about 35 seconds.

ISO is your friend on these types of photos.
What about the milky way? I read a blog post by some natgeo guy who suggested something ridiculous like 90 seconds at f/2.8 and iso 3200.

He certainly got good results, but how the heck is he holding the shutter open for 90 seconds and not getting trails?

I'm gonna be in bumblefuck Utah next week, so I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

xzzy posted:

What about the milky way? I read a blog post by some natgeo guy who suggested something ridiculous like 90 seconds at f/2.8 and iso 3200.

He certainly got good results, but how the heck is he holding the shutter open for 90 seconds and not getting trails?

I'm gonna be in bumblefuck Utah next week, so I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

I have no idea. Even with a super wide angle lens like the Sigma 8-16 you would only get around 75 seconds. Maybe that rule isn't quite correct, I have no idea. I was getting some decent milky way shots using the settings I laid out before. Check out my flickr page with more photos and settings.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

xzzy posted:

Barn doors?

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Falco posted:

I have no idea. Even with a super wide angle lens like the Sigma 8-16 you would only get around 75 seconds. Maybe that rule isn't quite correct, I have no idea. I was getting some decent milky way shots using the settings I laid out before. Check out my flickr page with more photos and settings.

Clearly, to get 90 seconds, it was with the mythical Satanic 6.66mm on a full crop body. OF DOOM.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

onezero posted:

Clearly, to get 90 seconds, it was with the mythical Satanic 6.66mm on a full crop body. OF DOOM.

They banned that lens after all the hubbub about photographs stealing peoples souls.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For reference, this is the guy I was talking about :

http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-tips/secrets-milky-way-richardson/

So I guess I was misremembering a little, he says 90 seconds is the absolute upper end for his 14mm lens.. 60 seconds is preferable (which still seems pretty long to me).

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

xzzy posted:

I live in Ohio and wish I had skies like Utah here. Unfreakingreal skies man. I went out there on one of my cross country motorcycle adventures and stopped at Mexican Hat. Stayed at the swingin steak grill and lodge and decided to run a quick snap of the sky. I do my imaging through telescopes and had never tried fixed tripod. Wish I would have stuck to the rule of 600 instead of going over with my 35mm. I should have ran 15 instead of 20 to avoid startrails, but it turned out ok I suppose. Two 20 second shots to make a small panorama:

Galactic Core by elimisel, on Flickr

Honestly the milky way was popping pretty close to what it looks like in the picture. Really some amazing skies out there.

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 20, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Here's the couple I took in Utah:

The "big" part of the milky way was below the horizon, but it was still a fun exercise. Taught me a bunch of stuff to remember for the next time (which will probably be next summer, so hopefully I can get the southern arm of the milky way).

Biggest lesson? Figure out the hyper focal setting before heading into the wild. It is absolutely impossible to focus on the stars, only way I could do it was take test shots and check the LCD. Adjust focus, take another shot, see which picture was sharper.

Also, if you're ever going through Utah, stop at Natural Arches National Monument. Easily the darkest place I have ever been, and the quietest. It was seriously goddamn eerie being out there by myself.. I went at least 4 hours without seeing or hearing another living being.

Unfortunately I didn't get there before sunset, so wasn't able to set up any interesting scenes and I'm not suicidal enough to go stomping around in the desert in pitch black. So I just took my pictures from a parking lot.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

xzzy posted:

Biggest lesson? Figure out the hyper focal setting before heading into the wild. It is absolutely impossible to focus on the stars, only way I could do it was take test shots and check the LCD. Adjust focus, take another shot, see which picture was sharper.

That's what live view is for. If you press the zoom button twice during live view it shows you everything at 10x and you can manually focus from there. It's pretty much the only way to focus in the dark, but I also use it for any stationary object I shoot just so I know the focus is dead on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TheLastManStanding posted:

That's what live view is for. If you press the zoom button twice during live view it shows you everything at 10x and you can manually focus from there. It's pretty much the only way to focus in the dark, but I also use it for any stationary object I shoot just so I know the focus is dead on.

I tried that, I still couldn't see stars on the lcd even if the camera was set to max iso and 30 second exposure.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Finally got some clear skies to test out my new mount, a third hand Losmandy GM-8 non-Gemini. I'm pretty happy with the mount, but I'll focus on more exotic target in the future.

Cone nebula

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Hey folks, even though I've been shooting for a few years I only just got my first tripod. There was a fireworks display locally this past weekend so I decided to try shooting it.

Normally I judge my own photos based on those I've seen other people do, but I haven't Rreally looked at many fireworks photos, or long exposure stuff in general, so I was wondering if I could get some critique on these. What I should do differently next time, what makes any of these better or worse than others, etc.

I mostly shoot sports, photojournalism, and portraits, so I don't even have much of a landscape or architecture background, so this is all very new to me. I tried to use the tree branch to frame the left/top of the frame, but I think it ended up just being a distraction.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Lunar eclipse. Unfortunately A) Moon was not over the most scenic or convenient part of the landscape B) Really foggy just after totality, so I couldn't get interesting low-angle shots, and C) I suck balls at this.

thebmw
May 13, 2004
Bing
Got out of the city for the lunar eclipse last weekend, only to have pretty much the entire thing covered by cloud. Took this just before it started though…

Pre Eclipse by thebmw, on Flickr

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I am terrible, but I thought shot of our hotel was pretty.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
My take on the eclipse.

IMG_4583 by Shane Duff, on Flickr

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

gvibes posted:

I am terrible, but I thought shot of our hotel was pretty.

Question 1: Which hotel is this?
Question 2: Please tell me you have a bigger version.
Question 3: See question 2.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Moved to a new place without much light pollution thanks to it being on a lake/golf course, it's cool to finally see some stars!

Can also usually see the ISS when it passes over very clearly.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 20, 2011

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Butt Savage posted:

Question 1: Which hotel is this?
Question 2: Please tell me you have a bigger version.
Question 3: See question 2.
Hotel Tentaciones in Zihuatanejo. It owns.

Full size version is here (I hope) - http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4062/5140887779_a77f255dc3_o.jpg

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
It's been a quiet few months for me, a broken leg plus terrible weather does not make for good astrophotography. I finally got back down the shed on the weekend.

The Heart Nebula - IC1805 by tmarkuk, on Flickr

Jekub fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 21, 2011

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Jekub posted:

It's been a quiet few months for me, a broken leg plus terrible weather does not make for good astrophotography. I finally got back down the shed on the weekend.

The Heart Nebula - IC1805 by tmarkuk, on Flickr
Did you shoot through a telescope? How do you set something like that up?

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

That one was shot with a William Optics ZS66SD Telescope (66mm aperture / f5.9) on a Celestron CGEM mount. I have a couple of scopes mounted permanently, this one serves as a guide scope for my main telescope most of the time but also serves as an excellent widefield instrument in it's own right.

You can see it piggybacked onto my 250mm reflector here.

Current Shed Setup by tmarkuk, on Flickr

Jekub fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 21, 2011

cory ad portas
Apr 28, 2008

THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.

Not so much nighttime as early morning, though.

cory ad portas fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 21, 2011

longway_fromhome
Nov 19, 2004

Desert Botanical Garden by afitzu, on Flickr

So many awesome shots in this thread. I think I may have went a little too long on this one. I'm still learning.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
NYE motherfuckers!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Took a couple of pictures from our hotel room last night in Vancouver. Their windows were filthy though so they didn't turn out too great :(

IMG_5074.jpg by Squibbles, on Flickr

IMG_5070.jpg by Squibbles, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I guess this came out kinda crummy. It was raining and windy as all hell.

2012-7 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Welp, looks like I'll be outside in the 7 degree air tonight:

spaceweather.com posted:

QUADRANTID METEOR SHOWER: Earth is about to pass through a stream of debris from 2003 EH1, a comet fragment that produces the annual Quadrantid meteor shower. Forecasters expect the shower to peak around 07:20 UT (02:20 am EST) on Wednesday morning, January 4th. At maximum, as many as 100 meteors/hour could emerge from a radiant near Polaris, the north star.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Went out and bought my first digital camera that wasn't on a phone last week, took a couple shots of the view from my apartment. I have no clue what I'm doing, but it's still fun!

night view by jg zkc, on Flickr

night view 2 by jg zkc, on Flickr

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Cool view, fknlo! Sometimes I'm torn, living in a rural area now I love seeing the stars and when it's dark it's legitimately dark but I sure do love cities at night, too.

IceLicker posted:

Welp, looks like I'll be outside in the 7 degree air tonight:

I was out for most of it in 20 degree weather, it was damned cold. It didn't really peak until around 4am CST, that's when I saw a bunch but by then I was so cold I managed to catch one and then called it a night. I think there's another show coming up in March? Hopefully it'll be a little warmer. :)

xpost from the snapshot thread

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Cool view, fknlo! Sometimes I'm torn, living in a rural area now I love seeing the stars and when it's dark it's legitimately dark but I sure do love cities at night, too.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeea

loving love it

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Awesome!

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

PREYING MANTITS posted:

I was out for most of it in 20 degree weather, it was damned cold. It didn't really peak until around 4am CST, that's when I saw a bunch but by then I was so cold I managed to catch one and then called it a night. I think there's another show coming up in March? Hopefully it'll be a little warmer. :)

These are awesome. I really wanted to get out and try out the t2i and new tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 but a nice overcast layer decided to settle in around mid day and didn't go away until several days after the event. So disappointed.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Inside some old mining machinery in South Australia. The only light I had was the lovely little LED torch I used to find my way in there so, y'know...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25963819@N03/6683804421/lightbox/

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Now in attach-o-vision:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

First one I already posted in here a while ago but I think I'm going to do a series. These were sort of preview/test shots to set a certain mood. I'll probably wait until late Spring to start because of school though.

Not really long exposures but night shots anyway! Has anyone asked for access to industrial sites before? I'd like to walk around in some of these places without looking like some creeper spying on work sites from the streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

A quick and dirty Orion Nebula.

The Orion Nebula by tmarkuk, on Flickr

25x60 second / 25x120 seconds, Canon 1000D on a William Optics ZS66SD.