Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

UncleMonkey posted:

So I just recently started Last Argument of Kings, and something I'm still wondering about is I still don't get why Bayaz needed Jezal on the quest for retrieve the Seed. I know why he needed Logen and Ferro, just not Jezal. If there is something still to be revealed, that's fine. I'm just wondering if I missed something.

I thought it was so he could get to know Jezal a bit and begin manipulating him before making him king?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

The Supreme Court posted:

I thought it was so he could get to know Jezal a bit and begin manipulating him before making him king?

Which he hasn't gotten to yet since he just started Last Argument of Kings...

And actually I think it was more to build Jezal's legend so that it would be easier to make him king

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Kekekela posted:

Which he hasn't gotten to yet since he just started Last Argument of Kings...

I can't read, oh dear. That makes more sense, thanks!

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Just finished reading The First Law trilogy. Uh, ah, huh, croak, squelch, squawk, sour spit. Think that about sums it up. Great read.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Bayaz motivation speculation superstation:
He engineered the conflict between Juvens and Kanedias because his plans for absolute control over the world wouldn't allow for potential enemies who could rival his power. Logical, calculated, and entirely consistent with his character. But I can't figure out why he killed Tolomei. He seemed to have her under his thumb already, and I'm not sure what "secrets" needed to be protected by her dying. Maybe he just didn't want someone that powerful around, but it seems more Bayaz style to twist the powerful into doing his bidding if possible rather than killing them outright.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I could be forgetting some key quotes which contradict this...

But I got the impression Bayaz didn't want absolute control over the world. It seems like he was just a conniving student of Juvens who fell in love with Tolomei. He engineered some sort of fight between Juvens and Kaneidas to try to win Tolomei (but that failed miserably), so he was left as (arguably) the most powerful magic user in the world. He then felt it was his duty to 'protect' the world's citizens, and is doing so in a ruthless manner.

I haven't read The Heroes, and it's been a while since I read TFL trilogy, so I could be forgetting something.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

syphon posted:

I could be forgetting some key quotes which contradict this...

But I got the impression Bayaz didn't want absolute control over the world. It seems like he was just a conniving student of Juvens who fell in love with Tolomei. He engineered some sort of fight between Juvens and Kaneidas to try to win Tolomei (but that failed miserably), so he was left as (arguably) the most powerful magic user in the world. He then felt it was his duty to 'protect' the world's citizens, and is doing so in a ruthless manner.

I haven't read The Heroes, and it's been a while since I read TFL trilogy, so I could be forgetting something.
Last Argument of Kings spoilers ->

He betrayed Tolemei as soon as she let him in to the house of the maker though. It seemed pretty clear that he was just using her from what was revealed at their final confrontation, but I agree with Above Our Own that it wasn't really clear why other than he just wanted power, which is constantly reinforced as his primary motivator throughout the third book.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kekekela posted:

Last Argument of Kings spoilers ->

He betrayed Tolemei as soon as she let him in to the house of the maker though. It seemed pretty clear that he was just using her from what was revealed at their final confrontation, but I agree with Above Our Own that it wasn't really clear why other than he just wanted power, which is constantly reinforced as his primary motivator throughout the third book.

I think she turned on him once she realized that he was just using her. They fought, and he killed her.

One of my favorite little details of the setting is the way that primary source of information about the mythological foundations of the world that most people are familiar with is a series of trashy, badly-written, overlong novels that most people turn their nose up at (no doubt authored by you-know-who and published by Valint & Balk Publishing, LLC). In other words, that world's equivalent of our cheesy fantasy novels.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

FMguru posted:

I think she turned on him once she realized that he was just using her. They fought, and he killed her.

One of my favorite little details of the setting is the way that primary source of information about the mythological foundations of the world that most people are familiar with is a series of trashy, badly-written, overlong novels that most people turn their nose up at (no doubt authored by you-know-who and published by Valint & Balk Publishing, LLC). In other words, that world's equivalent of our cheesy fantasy novels.
I missed this, where was it in the books?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I want to say it showed up in Before they are Hanged, on one of Glokta's visits to the university. or was that The Blade Itself?

FMguru posted:

In other words, that world's equivalent of our cheesy fantasy novels.

I wouldn't say cheesy fantasy novels so much as as tiresome folklore like the Eddas or Beowulf or something. And I don't think Bayaz wrote the ones the adeptus historical gives Glokta, because a section was missing and it's kinda implied that one of Bayaz's scalawags took it. Unless that was Sult. Dammit I just finished a reread and already my memory's failing.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The Fall of the Master Maker trilogy is very overtly a swipe at Tolkienesque fantasy and the descriptions of them by the characters work perfectly as negative descriptions of Lord of the Rings itself.

They're mentioned in both The Blade Itself and Last Argument of Kings, I think - Ardee is reading them at one point.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

So, The Heroes was really, really good.

Is his first trilogy on par? If so, I'm buying that stuff next payday.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

ConfusedUs posted:

The trilogy is considered by many to be his best work, so you won't be let down.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

The first book starts off a little generic, yet with better than average writing, but that's partly cause Abercrombie uses old fantasy tropes to gently caress with expectations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ConfusedUs posted:

The trilogy introduces you to perhaps my favorite character of all time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hughmoris posted:

The trilogy introduces you to perhaps my favorite character of all time.

The best part? This could be one of maybe six people, I have no loving idea. Abercrombie does great work with characters.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I kind of want to skip Best Served Cold and go straight into Heroes. Would I be missing anything? (I've already read the trilogy)

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The best part? This could be one of maybe six people, I have no loving idea. Abercrombie does great work with characters.

It can only be Glokta, surely? An anti-hero who’s up there with the likes of Hannibal Lecter, and as interesting as all the other FL characters put together.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

Above Our Own posted:

I kind of want to skip Best Served Cold and go straight into Heroes. Would I be missing anything? (I've already read the trilogy)

Not really. You'll hear bits and pieces about Styria, what happenend and who's in charge that will spoil parts of BSC. Shivers and Gorst also have alot of things happen to them during BSC that directly effect Heroes. All in all nothing earth shattering, but some things will be spoiled. It might be interesting to read Heroes first, it would tuen BSC into a prequel.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Above Our Own posted:

Missing anything? Nope. However, I enjoyed it more than Heroes and it sets up a few of the characters.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Thanks for the responses, I guess I'll read BSC first. Abercrombie can write a hell of a character arc and I don't want to miss the setup if there's recurring characters between the two books.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
While I liked Glokta, his constant internal monologue got on my nerves. He just had to have some sort of witty/sarcastic unspoken response to every word someone said to him. Still, my opinion of him as a poor man's Tyrion Lannister improved over the course of the trilogy.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
Just started reading The Heroes and it's fantastic, I've never read his other works. My only complaint is that some of the character names are really stupid. Wonderful? Brothers Shallow and Deep?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Industrial posted:

Just started reading The Heroes and it's fantastic, I've never read his other works. My only complaint is that some of the character names are really stupid. Wonderful? Brothers Shallow and Deep?

Its the part of the whole "Named Men" thing they do in the North. It should get explained fairly early on.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Above Our Own posted:

Thanks for the responses, I guess I'll read BSC first. Abercrombie can write a hell of a character arc and I don't want to miss the setup if there's recurring characters between the two books.

A wise choice, because Shivers' arc is so awesome it hurts, and I don't think he'd be nearly as cool in The Heroes without reading it.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

A wise choice, because Shivers' arc is so awesome it hurts, and I don't think he'd be nearly as cool in The Heroes without reading it.

Yeah, I read Heroes first, just finished BSC last week, and only realized who Shivers was in Heroes after reading this page and googling. :drat: Definitely gonna have to do a reread of Heroes. Its funny because I had a hard time believing that guys actions towards the end of Heroes on my initial read, but it makes sense now.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Kekekela posted:

Yeah, I read Heroes first, just finished BSC last week, and only realized who Shivers was in Heroes after reading this page and googling. :drat: Definitely gonna have to do a reread of Heroes. Its funny because I had a hard time believing that guys actions towards the end of Heroes on my initial read, but it makes sense now.

For me, his actions toward the middle were the most chilling goddamn thing ever.

*poke* *poke* *poke*

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Rereading Heroes now, god the Shivers parts have so much more oomph after having read the rest of the books. Trying to remember, were there any references to Craw or Dow's war chiefs (Golden, etc) in the trilogy? I'm thinking Tenways and Ironhead or whatever sound kind of familiar, I know they weren't big parts but maybe passing references?

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Just finished BSC. I felt like the plot was weaker and more contrived than the trilogy, but drat the man can do some good character development. I read it just for the character arcs and I'm glad I did.

Can't wait to see Shivers in Heroes!

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I finished Last Argument of Kings a few days ago and am planning to begin The Heroes today. I haven't read Best Served Cold, but I really want to start with The Heroes, because the trilogy was immensely enjoyable and I found The Heroes next to Last Argument in the library (but not Best Served Cold). I'll probably read BSC as a prequel later then.

The first time I heard about Abercrombie was probably in the ASOIAF bad thread, when someone mentioned him having all GRRM's positive traits such as skillful writing and suspension while having none of the negative ones (laziness, fantasy world travel descriptions). Having read Abercrombie's trilogy, I concur completely. When the trilogy is juxtaposed with ASOIAF, poo poo actually gets done and the interval between buildup and the payoff is not too long for long term memory to handle. Abercrombie doesn't leave anyone with blue balls.

The very best part of the trilogy is skillful writing. In my books, a good writer can make even a boring subject interesting and entertaining. It's actually the definitive character of a good writer. I'm a pretty picky reader, but writers such as Abercrombie and GRRM can make me not want to put the book down. I feel really sorry when a good story is wasted with uninteresting or - frankly - boring writing (classics!), but this is not an issue here as has been said already and Abercrombie's story is luckily as good as his writing.

The Blade Itself needed some time to sink in, because at the beginning it felt like yet another generic fantasy world with a western-kind-of-kingdom of the good people (the Union), the Ottoman/Seljuk/Middle Eastern-kind-of-kingdom of the bad people (the Gurkish) and the North (vikings, barbarians, etc). That is understandable however because lot of fantasy writers use that kind of elements and it simply took some time for Abercrombie to show that his world really was honed and a bit different. The same goes for characters: at first I took Logen as this world's version of Conan the Barbarian and Glokta was just a poor man's Tyrion Lannister. Bayaz really started to shine in the last book, but overall nearly all the major characters were really memorable and like Ugly in the Morning said, the trilogy contains easily six different characters that could be called one's favorite of all time.

In the end my favorite characters were Logen and Bayaz. Ninefingers because of his realistic worldview and witty humor, but also because of his character development and [spoil]ultimate failure in reaching his goal[/spoil]. First of the Magi on the other hand really seemed only a minor breaking against the wizard trope in the beginning: a wizard who looks more like a butcher and cuts meat, but that's it. In the Last Argument of Kings however his true colors were revealed: how can a man that has lived for thousands of years and who wields powerful magic be anything but arrogant, vain, full of himself and have little or no respect towards the lives of ordinary people? In any other book Bayaz would've been revealed as the evil character, but in the Last Argument he has been fleshed out as entirely human. A very powerful and old human with very human flaws.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Well, halfway through Heroes and I feel like each book I've read is worse than the previous, but still not bad on the whole. Abercrombie does a great job turning traditional tropes around to create a darkly interesting world but at this point I feel like he's just rehashing all of his own themes and subverted traditions. I feel like he's created a bizzaro inverse middle earth where things are just as predictable as the traditional fantasy he's trying to get away from.

More predictably blundering, incompetent Union officers, battle-hardened and pragmatic Northmen who feel terrified before battles, more immoral and manipulative "friendly wizard" types. With Logen, Shivers, and Craw I feel like I'm reading the same characters over and over again with slight differences.

To the poster above, I highly recommend you read BSC first. Caul Shivers is a reoccurring character in both books and his story is really well developed in BSC.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Above Our Own posted:

Well, halfway through Heroes and I feel like each book I've read is worse than the previous, but still not bad on the whole. Abercrombie does a great job turning traditional tropes around to create a darkly interesting world but at this point I feel like he's just rehashing all of his own themes and subverted traditions. I feel like he's created a bizzaro inverse middle earth where things are just as predictable as the traditional fantasy he's trying to get away from.

More predictably blundering, incompetent Union officers, battle-hardened and pragmatic Northmen who feel terrified before battles, more immoral and manipulative "friendly wizard" types. With Logen, Shivers, and Craw I feel like I'm reading the same characters over and over again with slight differences.

To the poster above, I highly recommend you read BSC first. Caul Shivers is a reoccurring character in both books and his story is really well developed in BSC.

Some good points in there, I agree that he's been a bit too enthusiastic in knocking down fantasy tropes and cliches. That said he is one of the better fantasy authors in writing character motivations, hell his characterization in general is very strong. I rarely feel like I'm actually reading fantasy when I'm going through his books too, he does setting and theme so well.

I think he needs to move away from the whole Bayaz/Khalul conflict unless he's going to give it some closure because it's not really going anywhere. His next book is supposedly going to be themed after a western so hopefully he'll try something new with the setting because it's starting to become fairly predictable.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Above Our Own posted:

Well, halfway through Heroes and I feel like each book I've read is worse than the previous, but still not bad on the whole. Abercrombie does a great job turning traditional tropes around to create a darkly interesting world but at this point I feel like he's just rehashing all of his own themes and subverted traditions.

I feel basically the opposite. With each subsequent release, Joe has refined his technique and his character development. Yes, there's a substantial amount of similarities, especially between Shivers and Logan, but what he accomplishes with Shivers works far better logically than what he did with Logan.

His story-telling methods have expanded significantly and show a willingness to take risks that weren't there before. See the Monza and Shivers sex scene The one that does not take place with Monza and Shivers and the long section where the viewpoint shifts every time a new character dies, ratcheting up the tension when you finally reach the characters you care about. I got a real sense of dread, which for me, is a rare feeling to get from a fantasy novel.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Yeah, I don't disagree that his writing has notably improved in many areas and I'd still recommend all his work to anyone who likes fantasy. The problem is that he has kind of exhausted a lot of the settings, character types, and inverted tropes he seems to want to keep sticking with.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

BananaNutkins posted:

I feel basically the opposite. With each subsequent release, Joe has refined his technique and his character development. Yes, there's a substantial amount of similarities, especially between Shivers and Logan, but what he accomplishes with Shivers works far better logically than what he did with Logan.

His story-telling methods have expanded significantly and show a willingness to take risks that weren't there before. See the Monza and Shivers sex scene The one that does not take place with Monza and Shivers and the long section where the viewpoint shifts every time a new character dies, ratcheting up the tension when you finally reach the characters you care about. I got a real sense of dread, which for me, is a rare feeling to get from a fantasy novel.
I'm really looking forward to reading Abercrombie develop more as an author. I agree with some of what Above Our Own said, in that at times he seems to focus too hard on doing the opposite of the fantasy cliches that it ends up at least somewhat predictably un-cliche.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Rurik posted:

I finished Last Argument of Kings a few days ago and am planning to begin The Heroes today. I haven't read Best Served Cold, but I really want to start with The Heroes, because the trilogy was immensely enjoyable and I found The Heroes next to Last Argument in the library (but not Best Served Cold). I'll probably read BSC as a prequel later then.

I'd recommend reading BSC first unless you just plan to skip it altogether. There are a couple of characters in Heroes that are greatly enhanced by having read BSC.

TrickyTrev
Feb 8, 2005
ZOMG I HAVE ROCKET
Anyone know what the deal is with the prologue put at the very end of the heroes book in the extras section? Is that from his next book?

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Trevefresh2 posted:

Anyone know what the deal is with the prologue put at the very end of the heroes book in the extras section? Is that from his next book?

Are you referring to Retired? or is there something else at the end of the book that my printed version is missing?

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Bremer dan Gorst is such a loving good character. Abercrombie fleshed him out wonderfully in Heroes, he really has a knack for turning auxiliary characters like Kroy and Bremer into fully developed personalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Above Our Own posted:

Yeah, I don't disagree that his writing has notably improved in many areas and I'd still recommend all his work to anyone who likes fantasy. The problem is that he has kind of exhausted a lot of the settings, character types, and inverted tropes he seems to want to keep sticking with.
I agree, the trilogy is his best work (not that the Heroes isn't totally balls-out amazing). But to draw a comparison: By this point in Pratchett's career he was celebrating the release of Truckers.

I think Abercrombie is yet to really hit his stride, which -when you've written something as incredible as The First Law- is p. exciting.