Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Even then, brain is still having trouble perceiving:

1. Onstad basically stole from people.
2. It looks like he's gearing up to be back in business.
3. Therefore, wait and see to buy avatars?

I'm being as judgmental as the next guy watching him start working again, but a warning not to do something that doesn't benefit him monetarily seems like a non sequitur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If it's your image you're concerned about, how many people outside this thread even know about the whole Cookbook deal? It's not like having an Achewood avatar would identify you as a supporter of a con artist. And you aren't giving money to Onstad by buying an avatar on Something Awful, either.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Roast Beef Kazenzakis, Observed, December 2011.

http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2011/12/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html

That's a hell of a URL, Chris.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Deathlove posted:

Roast Beef Kazenzakis, Observed, December 2011.

http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2011/12/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html

That's a hell of a URL, Chris.

I love how Cornelius is sitting on the bank all Wind in the Willows while Ray is crashing about looking for his bonchity-bonch Titleist.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

From that blog entry, "I got night feet pretty bad and needed a mile." is one of my favorite sentences ever. It's almost nonsense yet it _precisely_ conveys exactly what it means to.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
gently caress me, I envisioned this as a strip perfectly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That was wonderful, I loved Roast Beef's overly complex efforts to disguise the fact he's been smoking from Molly.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That whole blog post is greatly enhanced if you read it in a wise old narrator voice, like perhaps Morgan Freeman or Ian McKellan.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

That was wonderful, I loved Roast Beef's overly complex efforts to disguise the fact he's been smoking from Molly.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04232009

Do you want to smoke...forever??

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God I had completely forgotten that strip, thanks for the reminder.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Goddamn I love it.
Thanks for that old strip.

I also liked 'teach a child to sing' which makes me think he intentionally hit a child, perhaps in the jumbles, while playing urban golf.

*haha*

Also: Just alcohol (takes a nip)

also, poo poo, that everything about it is just great. nothing happened, there is no story, it's just a moment, perfect.

smashczar
Mar 1, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Achewood is literally the pinnacle of human artistic achievement so who cares if he stole from people? It was disposable income anyway. Ends justify the means y'all

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Such is my love for Wales that I must accept your hideous challenge!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

smashczar posted:

Achewood is literally the pinnacle of human artistic achievement so who cares if he stole from people? It was disposable income anyway. Ends justify the means y'all

No it doesn't, you loving moron.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I feel so patriotic when I read the Wales arc. The next time I eat nachos I might cry.

Such is my love for Wales.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fren posted:

I'm being as judgmental as the next guy watching him start working again, but a warning not to do something that doesn't benefit him monetarily seems like a non sequitur.

I just meant he may stop for another year now and it would be silly to blow 10 bucks on an avatar.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I just meant he may stop for another year now and it would be silly to blow 10 bucks on an avatar.

And his point is that no, it wouldn't, because if he likes the strip he gets an avatar of he'll still like it. The avatar doesn't go bad.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Crackerman posted:

I feel so patriotic when I read the Wales arc. The next time I eat nachos I might cry.

Such is my love for Wales.

I am eating nachos right now and I'm not crying, because I merely feel OK about Wales.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Let us honor Kim Jong-il the best way we know how.

North Korean Magical Realism.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Enjoy your side of the mountain, Kim Jong Il. No one wiping with a Playboy subscription card where you are now.

"SOMETIMES THOSE HAVE TITTY ON THEM TOO! YOU ARE...IDIOT!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You guys know who is so furious about his bad wife? Ron.

I love the way the alt text is often able to add a further level of hilarity to the strip, another particular favorite of mine is this one - I can't even tell you why it does, but the alt text gets to me every goddamn time.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Jerusalem posted:

You guys know who is so furious about his bad wife? Ron.

I love the way the alt text is often able to add a further level of hilarity to the strip, another particular favorite of mine is this one - I can't even tell you why it does, but the alt text gets to me every goddamn time.

For me it's the fact that Cornelius is so bitter about missing Flava Flav's blinking tooth that he's sworn off rap permanently.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

My favorite alt-text will always be, "You can do whatever you want in life."

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

LordSaturn posted:

This was my quote on our work IM for like 2 years and I'd periodically get comments on how uplifting it was.

I didn't link the comic :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

This is probably the achewood strip I link the most, it's so uplifting and inspiring :shobon:

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
The first step is admitting you'd buy Hot Tub Brawls on DVD. Also, note that Ray is watching Best of Hot Tub Brawls. That implies a HTB series that's probably been running for decades.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Pfft, Hot Tub Brawls is for poseurs. Real fight afficianados watch Hot Springs Donnybrooks.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Pfft, Hot Tub Brawls is for poseurs. Real fight afficianados watch Hot Springs Donnybrooks.

Each of those has survivors, unlike Breast Attack on gently caress Mountain.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have a terrible confession to make. I have never read Achewood aside from the odd comic I've been linked to now and there.

But there's seriously such as massive amount of comic, along with the blogs and I want to read it all in order and it is amazingly daunting. I wish I could set up a RSS feed that'd send me like, a comic or a blog post a day so I can take it all in, slowly.

RSS feeds are only for new things though. :(

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
My favorite part of the Hot Tub Brawls strip has always been what I've perceived to be as a counterfeit DVD logo. It'd've been easy enough to just scrape one off the web, but there's something just off enough about that one that says "DVD-R bought in a gas station."

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Oh, just doin' my homework on the gonzo biz.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

But there's seriously such as massive amount of comic, along with the blogs and I want to read it all in order and it is amazingly daunting. I wish I could set up a RSS feed that'd send me like, a comic or a blog post a day so I can take it all in, slowly.

You think that before you start, but once you get going you'll be hard pressed to stop. "One more stand alone," you'll tell yourself, but the next comic in the archive will the be start of a major arc. 45 minutes later, you'll think, "What a great storyline...I need some stand-alones to cleanse my pallet." And the cycle will continue.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

LordSaturn posted:

This is something I've been saying to people for months whenever they ask an asinine or inconsequential question. It's either this or "yep, that's whatever you're talking about for ya." I'm neither proud nor ashamed.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

This is something I've been saying to people for months whenever they ask an asinine or inconsequential question. It's either this or "yep, that's whatever you're talking about for ya." I'm neither proud nor ashamed.

My version of this is "Well, life is hard."

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I have a terrible confession to make. I have never read Achewood aside from the odd comic I've been linked to now and there.

RSS feeds are only for new things though. :(

You can skip around by storyline. Read one a week.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Well... are the blog posts at least also in the archives so I can read them wherever they would have originally popped up? :saddowns:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Well... are the blog posts at least also in the archives so I can read them wherever they would have originally popped up? :saddowns:

Don't think so, I think they all moved to the fanflow.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Also, note that Ray is watching Best of Hot Tub Brawls. That implies a HTB series that's probably been running for decades.

Oh man, great catch. There's always more of those little details out there.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Whatever.

(I always loved the fact that Nolan from the Internet and his compatriots were the same pseudointellecuals critiquing Pat's performance in this strip.)

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

The video kept interrupting my reading, but those pros were able to continue their conversation without issue. Man, maybe another year and I can start achewood from the beginning again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Ubik posted:

(I always loved the fact that Nolan from the Internet and his compatriots were the same pseudointellecuals critiquing Pat's performance in this strip.)

Wow, that's not even part of an official arc, and starts right after this roughly.
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10012003 <-- awesome.

The leadup to the comic you linked is great.

edit:

Also, Ray is a light brown American Curl cat who wears Versace glasses.
I love old links <3

glug fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 21, 2011