Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
You could think that he intended to go all out on the remaining Trolls, or you could think he just wanted to do some painting with the materials provided. You could say a lot about what he might have done or was going to do, but in the end all we can be sure of is that he made Par on the round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

KoB posted:

Vriska did the audience a favor and killed Tavros.
It's possible that Gamzee would not have snapped if Tavros were alive.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I think this is a romantic fiction made up by shippers. . . . It seemed pretty clear from Karkat's first conversation with Gamzee when he went off the deep end that it was the lack of sopor slime + the Miracles video from Dave that made him flip out. And I think it's been canonically established that moirails are responsible for keeping murderous impulses in check, not matesprit-crushes.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
I just realized that in troll society, 'best friend' is completely different from 'moirail', although they are quite similar by our standards. Makes Karkat's comment about him and Gamzee when he was talking to John make sense. Also why he can call Sollux his BFFE with Gamzee standing right next to him.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Besides, it's not like it wasn't established early on that trolls are, as a race, a bunch of psychotic murderers who kill each other left and right even at the best of times.

That and it seems like murdering is almost encouraged. Troll society has a thing about culling the weak. Hell, Vriska and Terezi have killed more trolls offscreen than anybody.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

haruspex posted:

I think this is a romantic fiction made up by shippers. . . . It seemed pretty clear from Karkat's first conversation with Gamzee when he went off the deep end that it was the lack of sopor slime + the Miracles video from Dave that made him flip out. And I think it's been canonically established that moirails are responsible for keeping murderous impulses in check, not matesprit-crushes.
First, gently caress you, no one in this thread deserves to be called a shipper (I hope). Second, this is what I was getting at:

TC: THE ONE THAT'S ALL GOT TO BE MY BEST loving FRIEND I GOT NOW.
TC: now that my other buddy managed to be having his head chopped off. :oC

Of course his first action was apparently to lob off Tavros' head upon finding his dead body so he was probably still pretty unhinged. But maybe, just maybe, he would not have started "listening" to Cal.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

sitchelin posted:

That and it seems like murdering is almost encouraged. Troll society has a thing about culling the weak. Hell, Vriska and Terezi have killed more trolls offscreen than anybody.

Didn't Vriska pretty much say that she was by Troll standards incredibly lenient on Tavros and was well within her rights as a blueblood to basically slaughter him for a slight insult?

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
Yeah, pretty much. She also said that once she had killed him she felt bad about it, but couldn't tell anyone except John cause it'd be a sign of weakness to the other trolls. Although, with that group I doubt any of them would have taken it that way. Normal trolls maybe, Island of Misfit Trolls, probably not.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Nate RFB posted:

Gamzee had snapped well before he found Tav's body. Well before Tavros died even.

http://mspaintadventures.wikia.com/wiki/Countdown

You can check the timestamps on various events/conversations, but essentially Gamzee contacted Karkat shortly after the 3:14 mark, Tavros died at the 2:40 mark, and Terezi hosed around with his body for awhile as well before Gamzee got to it.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

You guys all noticed the couple panels way earlier of Gamzee with Tavros's blood on his face and lips, right? Corpse make-outs. Also the ending to the rap between them. The whole Gamzee/Tavros thing doesn't come from nowhere. I'm no shipper but it's clear that Gamzee had a thing for Tavros. Whether that actually means anything or is behind any of his motivation I couldn't say for sure, but that's how it is.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
overthinking the zany murderclown itt

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kit Walker posted:

You guys all noticed the couple panels way earlier of Gamzee with Tavros's blood on his face and lips, right? Corpse make-outs. Also the ending to the rap between them. The whole Gamzee/Tavros thing doesn't come from nowhere. I'm no shipper but it's clear that Gamzee had a thing for Tavros. Whether that actually means anything or is behind any of his motivation I couldn't say for sure, but that's how it is.

What it means is that it was funny.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
These interspecies conversations are everything I ever hoped for. :allears:

(update, fyi)

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
drat, look at Rose flex them seer muscles. Also that bit at the end with Rose and Karkat. :allears:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Guess that solves that problem. Off to the new session at exactly the speed of plot.

e/ Yeah there's pretty much no way Karkat is going to survive this. I'm not sure Terezi could possibly be hitting on Dave any harder right now without breaking his ribs.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 20, 2011

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'm going to be demanding a group hug at some point and so help me if it is not delivered

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I am not sure I like the way Gamzee is regarding Sollux's previous popped mustard bag.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey wait, they can get Vriska to use her mind powers to put them all to sleep for three years!

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
I love the idea that Karkat just talks constantly.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's been said before, but these dialoglogs are so... colourful.

Also with regard to Gamzee going off the deep end, am I wrong in specifically remembering he was going to kill everyone? The only two deaths he cause could perhaps be claimed to be in self-defence (though it could be argued otherwise for Equius), but his intent was still pretty murderous.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I can't believe Rose and Karkat never talked before, they're great together.

What the heck are they going to do for 3 years on that meteor? The trolls couldn't make it 12 hours without resorting to murder.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Omnomnomnivore posted:

What the heck are they going to do for 3 years on that meteor? The trolls couldn't make it 12 hours without resorting to murder.

You just watch, after three years they'll all be totally chummy with each other. It will be loving insufferable.

Karkat is at his best here, vitriol-wise. Still the best (living) troll :colbert:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
We're gonna have a time-skip for 3 years, and when the asteroid pops through into the new session, the first thing we see from it is Karkat and Rose holding hands, looking towards Skaia.

KoB
May 1, 2009

quote:

KARKAT: WOULDN'T THAT JUST BE SO COSMICALLY CONVENIENT AND PERFECT FOR EVERYBODY!

And how!

e: Also, Im sorry I ever doubted you Dave, you'll always be the best character. :allears:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Omnomnomnivore posted:

John's about to give them a great idea to pass the time. :whatup:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

drat it, Kanaya.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

John's about to give them a great idea to pass the time. :whatup:
Yeah, calming Karkat's poo poo down after he catches an interdimensional bucket to the dome probably will take in the neighborhood of three years.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I wouldn't really worry about troll murderous tendencies. We know they are pretty artificial, a result of Scratch's meddling, and I think the relative pacifism of our group of trolls (with exceptions such as Vriska, Eridan, and sober Gamzee which could be well attributed to early social pressure due to Highblood status) is prime indicator that trolls separated from their society at an age as young as this won't really follow the culture of murder.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

annatar posted:

That appropriated anti-facebook rant somebody posted a while back really is the best depiction of Karkat.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I think you already know the answer to that question :yarr:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

annatar posted:

I love the idea that the only way he could not talk was to hold his breath.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Best Chatlog.

"W3 4R3 4CTU4LLY 4 LOT COOL3R TH4N TH1S! ... NO W3 AR3 NOT"

Kind of interesting to see how they will differentiate Rose and Terezi's seer powers in such a way that Terezi's aren't made redundant. From the way Rose phrased it though, does Terezi actually have the ability to control what people decide to do?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The best thing about these updates back on the troll meteor is just how flustered Karkat appears to be by the whole meeting-humans-in-person thing. It's exactly like how I've seen some people handle meeting People From The Internet for the first time. Lots of talking and talking just to try and not be awkwardly silent, which just makes you more awkward. It's a wonderful bit of additional characterization for the Best Troll.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Thundarr posted:

The Best Chatlog.

"W3 4R3 4CTU4LLY 4 LOT COOL3R TH4N TH1S! ... NO W3 AR3 NOT"

Kind of interesting to see how they will differentiate Rose and Terezi's seer powers in such a way that Terezi's aren't made redundant. From the way Rose phrased it though, does Terezi actually have the ability to control what people decide to do?

I think her power was seeing the various ways a situation could go and "flipping" into the timeline that suited her. She doesn't control people's decisions exactly, she just flips into the timeline where they made the decision she wanted.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Mr. Vile posted:

I think her power was seeing the various ways a situation could go and "flipping" into the timeline that suited her. She doesn't control people's decisions exactly, she just flips into the timeline where they made the decision she wanted.

No, she just manipulates them into the correct decision via traditional means.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

First, gently caress you, no one in this thread deserves to be called a shipper (I hope). Second, this is what I was getting at:

TC: THE ONE THAT'S ALL GOT TO BE MY BEST loving FRIEND I GOT NOW.
TC: now that my other buddy managed to be having his head chopped off. :oC

Of course his first action was apparently to lob off Tavros' head upon finding his dead body so he was probably still pretty unhinged. But maybe, just maybe, he would not have started "listening" to Cal.

Haha, sorry bro. Definitely not trying to imply you were a shipper; just that that's something that I've seen bandied about by those types. No offense intended.

eta: Gamzee fondly regarding Sollux's mustard-stained corpse is as hilarious as it is disturbing.

voltroon fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 21, 2011

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

These dialoglogs at the green sun continue to be the best things. Though maybe I'm biased since I really love Aradia, Terezi, and Rose :3:.

Mr. Vile posted:

Where are you getting that from? I'm pretty sure her power is just to see what the consequences of various decisions would be - and then she can use that knowledge to influence events in conventional means (telling people what the best choice is, stabbing them if they don't listen, etc.). Rose's phrasing "command over the outcomes of decisions" just means that Terezi's has the ability to understand the decisions and their consequences, sort of like how people say a good author has "command over the English language".

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Mr. Vile posted:

No, it was specifically that she can see into possibilities that are the result of the thoughts of her teammates and her enemies, and stop those results from happening. I'm not sure if she knows if those are alternate timelines or not, the only thing connecting the two concepts was Scratch implying that they were actual beta timelines.

quote:

GC: TO T4LK TO P3OPL3 4ND S33 TH3 TUNN3LS 4ND VORT1C3S 1N TH31R M1NDS 4ND TO UND3RST4ND TH3 R34L1T13S TH3Y WOULD CR34T3 1F THOS3 THOUGHTS L34D TO 4CT1ON
GC: FOR MY 3N3M13S, 1 W4S M34NT TO BR1NG 4BOUT TH3 1NH3R3NT R3TR1BUT1ON FLOW1NG FROM TH3 R34L1TY M4D3 BY TH31R OWN 3V1L THOUGHTS
GC: 4ND FOR MY FR13NDS, TO PROT3CT TH3M FROM TH31R T3ND3NCY TO UND3R3ST1M4T3 TH3 POW3R TH31R CONFUS1ON H4S OV3R TH31R F4T3
GC: TO K33P TH3M OUT OF TROUBL3, D4V3 >:]

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

FrictionlessEmu posted:

These dialoglogs at the green sun continue to be the best things. Though maybe I'm biased since I really love Aradia, Terezi, and Rose :3:.

Where are you getting that from? I'm pretty sure her power is just to see what the consequences of various decisions would be - and then she can use that knowledge to influence events in conventional means (telling people what the best choice is, stabbing them if they don't listen, etc.). Rose's phrasing "command over the outcomes of decisions" just means that Terezi's has the ability to understand the decisions and their consequences, sort of like how people say a good author has "command over the English language".

I could have sworn that was how her powers were explained back with Dave's quest bed shenanigans and Vriska flying off to fight Jack. Maybe I'm just getting confused by the comic following beta timelines half the time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

quote:

KARKAT: YOU DROP YOUR IQ HARDER THAN A PAIR OF HILARIOUSLY PLUMMETING PANTS, YOU CEASELESSLY RAMBLE ABOUT VAPID BULLSHIT, YOU RUN AROUND HIDING ALL OF YOUR WORLDLY POSSESSIONS IN TREASURE CHESTS, AND THEN EVERYONE STARTS MURDERING EACH OTHER.
KARKAT: IF THERE'S ANY OTHER EXPERIENCE CHARACTERIZING LEADERSHIP, IT'S ONE I SURE AS gently caress NEVER HAD!
Amidst this hilarious set of updates, this is actually a little sad. What an exasperated leadership Karkat's has been.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Karkat doesn't overreact to poo poo, he reacts in the way any normal human being would.

...wait.