Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LavistaSays
Dec 25, 2005

theclaw posted:

China dumping tens or hundreds of billions of dollars into pointless white elephants instead of more effective weapons systems isn't scary at all.

It's so that they can politely but firmly tell us "thanks for the offer but we will take care of things" during some future global problem, and laugh as our economy continues to drop off, and the rest of the world doesn't have to put up with our shenanigans. Its a death blow to American global dominance.

On AAS's, phanatics post is true only in todays phase of low level conflict. "never" is a strong word and in a larger scale conflict, who is to say what will be at stake and how we will value lives of service men. Today losing any warship is crazy to even think about, but what will tomorrows war bring us? I also never implied the AAS would be fighting alone, just that it is valued less then a CVN would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Space Gopher posted:

On the other hand, the American reaction (oh god, they're building up one old-rear end Soviet surplus carrier, we have to commission a new class of superdupercarriers at prices even grover might describe as "a bit excessive") is frightening as poo poo.

How on earth is that the American reaction? The USN had been planning a new class of carriers since the late 90s, and started funding the CVN-21 program in 2001. It's for three full carriers. You think the Varyag purchase drove that?

LavistaSays posted:

On AAS's, phanatics post is true only in todays phase of low level conflict. "never" is a strong word and in a larger scale conflict, who is to say what will be at stake and how we will value lives of service men. Today losing any warship is crazy to even think about, but what will tomorrows war bring us? I also never implied the AAS would be fighting alone, just that it is valued less then a CVN would be.

I have difficulty imagining the variety of high-intensity conflict which sees such wanton destruction that we're inured to the loss of an LHA, but which also sees us beating up on opponents so ill-equipped to respond that we'd be putting battalions of Marines on a beach in the face of nothing but some SRBMs or Silkworms.

It comes down to this: if all you need to make the mission work is Harriers, then you don't really need organic fixed-wing. If you need other things, like ASW support, serious air defense, naval gunfire support, and the like, you're going to have an entire battle group, so you don't really need organic fixed wing.

This is starting to remind me of all the arguments about why we should bring the Iowas back as NGFS ships.

Throatwarbler posted:

India has an actual carrier air arm that has been used to great effect in multiple wars against a major American ally.

What great effect has the Viraat been used to? Honest question, all I know is that it's an old-as-gently caress Centaur-class, what's it actually done?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 15, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
India has an actual carrier air arm that has been used to great effect in multiple wars against a major American ally. There are like a billion people in India and their economy is growing. Wrap it up USAilures, better start learning Hindi.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

NecessaryEvil posted:

That's sad. My dad was a pilot back in the 80s.

My dad flew them for over 30 years for the Navy, US Customs and CBP.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Phanatic posted:

How on earth is that the American reaction? The USN had been planning a new class of carriers since the late 90s, and started funding the CVN-21 program in 2001. It's for three full carriers. You think the Varyag purchase drove that?

No, but I think that it's going to be used to protect it from any serious cuts no matter how dire the budget situation gets, and to drive very expensive modernization work on both the existing fleet and new vessels.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I don't know if War Nerd is acceptable here, but here's his article about the Chinese Carrier called China Joins the Yacht Club.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Space Gopher posted:

No, but I think that it's going to be used to protect it from any serious cuts no matter how dire the budget situation gets, and to drive very expensive modernization work on both the existing fleet and new vessels.

I think you're wrong. I think the Navy's going to continue to be scaled down.

I also think that every dime China spends on carriers is a dime it's not spending on submarines, so I hope they spend more money on carriers.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Found some good pictures of some planes doing low-level flying, thought I'd post them. There are plenty of crazy acrobatics teams that do low-level flying, I think it's more impressive when it's done not as part of a show but as a part of combat or getting the job done. There are a few in here of guys getting buzzed or exhibitions but most are in the line of duty.

Junkers JU-52 Transport planes in early 1942 flying supplies into the Demjansk pocket.

P-47 attacking a flak tower.

Blenheim lining up the shot on Japanese shipping off Akyab

B-24 bombing the Ploesti refinery

Japanese Betties on a torpedo run off Guadalcanal

P-47 strafing a truck full of ammo

P-47 hit the ground on a strafing run, made it 150 miles home

B-17 in an exhibition

Same pilot in a B-17, pulling out of a exhibition dive. He made out it out of this one, he later died attempting this same dive again

Greek F-4 Phantom almost hits a tree

Harvard trainer buzzing some guys on a beach

Argentine A-4 Skyhawk making a strafing run on HMS Broadsword during the Falklands

B-52 doing a fly-by on CV Ranger during the Gulf War

Harvard trainers doing an exhibition

Avro Lancaster with three engines feathered

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Another shot of the B-52 doing a flyby of the USS Ranger. The guys on the island reportedly called them after they requested permission for a flyby, B-52 crew said "look down":

Edit: Two views of a ridiculously low pass by an Argentinian pilot:

From the ground:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTHJqLju2vU

From the cockpit (Note the RADALT reading):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDDxU5sB-SI

And then of course there's this poor bastard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4f3vJjvR9c

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 16, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

gohuskies posted:

That is a picture I have never seen before. Holy poo poo.
:monocle:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Another shot of the B-52 doing a flyby of the USS Ranger. The guys on the island reportedly called them after they requested permission for a flyby, B-52 crew said "look down":

From my understanding, that's also the same B-52 pilot who later killed himself and his crew trying to loop the aircraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJb08ZzejAA

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That's about the ultimate "hey guys, watch THIS" unfortunate/semi-accidental deaths of all time.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Few things I wanted to address before I get to answering Cyrano's question...

Nebakenezzer posted:

This is not just a marine thing; the Navy with all it's carrier groups appears to be dreaming of fighting the Japanese Imperial fleet again.

That's a pretty unfair charge, as the number of US carriers is driven by defense policy, something set by dudes who wear suits, not Navy uniforms. The U.S. has a standing requirement to always have a carrier on station in the Middle East/Arabian Sea/Indian Ocean and another on station in the Pacific. For each station, you need at a minimum one carrier in workups/transiting to deployment, one carrier on station, one returning home/in port, and one in maintenance unavailable for immediate deployment. So right there you need 8...but that isn't the whole story. When you throw in things like the fact that the ME requirement has turned into something more like 1.5 due to the wars, the fact that there is also a requirement to keep a carrier forward deployed in Japan, or things like RCOH (that take a carrier out of the lineup for 3+ years), you see why 11 doesn't seem so ludicrous after all. Fewer carriers means that there would have to be a significant change in U.S. defense posture (and we're beginning to see this with the planned retirement of the Enterprise next year before the Ford is operational taking us down to 10.)

priznat posted:

One of the missions I've heard mentioned for the possible Canadian amphibious ships (either licensing the Mistral design or building our own) is disaster relief missions like in Haiti after the earthquake.

I don't know if this is a real valid reason to build them, but it's a sell tactic to the public anyway.

This is most definitely a valid reason to have them, assuming disaster relief is a thing you do regularly (as it is for many large Navies, western/NATO or otherwise). An amphib is designed to be able to carry large amounts of bulk cargo, be able to load/unload this cargo fairly quickly, is able to operate its own organic rotary lift and (if it has a well deck) small craft to rapidly get the cargo from ship to shore, and has a bunch of other facilities (medical, desalinization, etc.) Hell, one of the biggest immediate contributions of the U.S. response to the 2004 tsunami was that the carrier parked offshore was using its desalinization plant to crank out safe drinking water for use on shore, something that saved countless lives. There's a reason the immediate U.S. response to any major natural disaster involves sending an amphib and/or a carrier plussed up with a bunch of helicopters.

Phanatic posted:

If all you're doing is beating up on a third-world nation with no capability to fight back, no navy to speak up, no credible air defense network, no submarines, and no air force worth a drat, you can park yourself right offshore and use helicopters.

Interestingly enough, this is what the U.K. and France both started doing by the end of OOD, because the lack of credible threats meant they could use rotary winged assets to get the most effective precise CAS to the rebels.

[quote="Phanatic"]
A pilot can screw up in a conventional airplane, be 100 feet of the ground with no lift.

poo poo, as AF447 has shown us, a pilot can screw up in a conventional airplane, be at FL 350, spend the following four minutes with no lift, and still somehow manage to crash the airplane.

Phanatic posted:

There is no, repeat zero, chance that we would attempt to put a few marine battalions on a beach in the face of a credible ASM threat without at least one CVBG in support. None. In a world in which 18 American KIA *in a successful mission* results in a withdrawal from the theater, that is simply not going to happen, and a 'phib with 1000 guys on board is in no way "expendable" in this political reality; the loss of as many troops in a single missile strike as were lost in years of combat in Iraq would an abject, unmitigated political disaster. Even at al Faw in 2003, where there was no ASM threat, there were about half a dozen frigates for NGFS, a Tico for air defense, and, oh yeah, the Constellation, with a bunch of Tomcats and Hornets.

This man speaks the truth.

theclaw posted:

China dumping tens or hundreds of billions of dollars into pointless white elephants instead of more effective weapons systems isn't scary at all.

To add to what Cyrano said, all of which I agree with, just one or two aircraft carriers (and the ability to actually employ them, which is the whole point of the training gained from the Shi Lang/Varyag) completely changes the discussion in China's backyard, as far as Taiwan, the Spratlys, interaction with Japan, and a whole host of other issues. That alone is a pretty big loving deal, seeing as how the East/Southeast/South Asian region is probably the one that will be the most geopolitically important to the U.S. over the next few decades.

Phanatic posted:

This is starting to remind me of all the arguments about why we should bring the Iowas back as NGFS ships.

Hahahaha...so true. :suicide:

Phanatic posted:

I also think that every dime China spends on carriers is a dime it's not spending on submarines, so I hope they spend more money on carriers.

This man speaks the truth again. The USN's current ASW capability is right above its mine warfare capability, which isn't saying much.

Armyman25 posted:

From my understanding, that's also the same B-52 pilot who later killed himself and his crew trying to loop the aircraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJb08ZzejAA

Incorrect on a couple counts...that flyby wasn't Bud Holland, and he wasn't trying to loop the aircraft in the Czar 52 crash.

I have many comments about the original question regarding STOVL, but I needed to post this before I got any further behind in the thread.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

gohuskies posted:

Found some good pictures of some planes doing low-level flying, thought I'd post them. There are plenty of crazy acrobatics teams that do low-level flying, I think it's more impressive when it's done not as part of a show but as a part of combat or getting the job done. There are a few in here of guys getting buzzed or exhibitions but most are in the line of duty.

Junkers JU-52 Transport planes in early 1942 flying supplies into the Demjansk pocket.

P-47 attacking a flak tower.

Blenheim lining up the shot on Japanese shipping off Akyab

B-24 bombing the Ploesti refinery

Japanese Betties on a torpedo run off Guadalcanal

P-47 strafing a truck full of ammo

P-47 hit the ground on a strafing run, made it 150 miles home

B-17 in an exhibition

Same pilot in a B-17, pulling out of a exhibition dive. He made out it out of this one, he later died attempting this same dive again

Greek F-4 Phantom almost hits a tree

Harvard trainer buzzing some guys on a beach

Argentine A-4 Skyhawk making a strafing run on HMS Broadsword during the Falklands

B-52 doing a fly-by on CV Ranger during the Gulf War

Avro Lancaster with three engines feathered

These are also up on Vintage Wings of Canada, in a very worthy article about low-level flying with a healthy mix of anecdotes and low-level pics: http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageN...-Wagon-Rut.aspx

Those Harvards with the wheels in the water are from a South African aerobatics team, by the way :)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

iyaayas01 posted:

To add to what Cyrano said, all of which I agree with, just one or two aircraft carriers (and the ability to actually employ them, which is the whole point of the training gained from the Shi Lang/Varyag) completely changes the discussion in China's backyard, as far as Taiwan, the Spratlys, interaction with Japan, and a whole host of other issues. That alone is a pretty big loving deal, seeing as how the East/Southeast/South Asian region is probably the one that will be the most geopolitically important to the U.S. over the next few decades.

Regardless of what Jane's Fighting Ships thinks, it's pretty unlikely to me that the ship will be named Shi Lang, because generally speaking the Chinese do not name ships after people. No Chinese warship, communist, nationalist or imperial, has ever been named after a person (maybe with one exception).

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

Regardless of what Jane's Fighting Ships thinks, it's pretty unlikely to me that the ship will be named Shi Lang, because generally speaking the Chinese do not name ships after people. No Chinese warship, communist, nationalist or imperial, has ever been named after a person (maybe with one exception).

Shi Lang seems needlessly provocative, not every nation that has a carrier starts to act needlessly dickish. I thought one of the ideas floated if they named it after a person was Zheng He. Barring that, it should be called Making America's MIC waste billions.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

The USN's current ASW capability is right above its mine warfare capability, which isn't saying much.

And we've got about the best capability in the world. It's just a hard task.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

slidebite posted:

Meh. It's not the 70s anymore. I too genuinely fear a "jack of all trades master of none" issue, but the F16 has proven to be a pretty capable AC even for roles it was never intended for when it was designed. I would hope being designed as multirole from the getgo, it'll do it pretty well. Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part though.

While I agree the F18 was probably discarded as an option waaaay too early, I am not sure buying 2 fleets of aircraft would have been much smarter or even be politically possible in the future. If we don't do it now, it isn't going to happen... especially when a center/left government gets back into power, which they will.

I can see it now, circa 2028:

Air Force: "We should start preliminary planing to replace or at least compliment our fleet of CF188E/Fs in the coming years as we originally planned in 2011."

Defense Minister de jour: "But we just ordered them 16 years ago! Everything else we've bought since the 60s has lasted us almost 30 years!" :byodood:

Realistically whatever we order will most likely be Canada's last manned fighter. UCAVs will take over within the next 30 years, and Superhornets can easily fill that gap.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
But what will you use to fight the UCAVs when they revolt against their fleshbound masters?

iyaayas01 posted:

This man speaks the truth again. The USN's current ASW capability is right above its mine warfare capability, which isn't saying much.

This somewhat misses the point. China's spending on carriers pushes out the date that they may someday have a competent nuclear attack sub force. Without a competent Chinese nuclear attack sub force as a picket, every carrier they build has a fantastically short lifespan in any sort of genuine poo poo-is-real shooting war. Clouds of Silkworms, conventional ICBMs etc don't mean squat to a Virginia SSN. Depending on how this is interpreted it could mean China's carriers, like the USSR's boomers, end up restricted to a fairly small regional ops area.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MA-Horus posted:

Realistically whatever we order will most likely be Canada's last manned fighter.
Agreed and that was my point too.

quote:

UCAVs will take over within the next 30 years, and Superhornets can easily fill that gap.
I'm not as sure of that as you are, but I have little doubt the Superhornets would still be in service. Whether they should or not is another story.

Like I said, I'm in agreement the Superhornets were excluded way too early, I'm just not convinced the JSF is going to be as big of a disaster as it is being made out to be. There is an awful lot of spin going on either side right now. The truth is going to be somewhere in the middle.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 16, 2011

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
UCAV will not be a good idea. Imagine if Iran hacks and hijacks our entire fleet when theyre en route to strike? :byodood:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Suicide Watch posted:

UCAV will not be a good idea. Imagine if Iran hacks and hijacks our entire fleet when theyre en route to strike? :byodood:

I remember a movie like this.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Low and slow loud

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A video of that would have been fantastic. And loud.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I found a thing on ebay
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1958-Avro-Ar...=item20c01b2a26

Bondafide CF-105 Ejection Seat

The mandatory conspiracy theory doesn't make much sense but it would be an interesting story to find out how it got there. My guess is that it did involve the TSR.2 somehow.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

slidebite posted:

I found a thing on ebay
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1958-Avro-Ar...=item20c01b2a26

Bondafide CF-105 Ejection Seat

The mandatory conspiracy theory doesn't make much sense but it would be an interesting story to find out how it got there. My guess is that it did involve the TSR.2 somehow.

Surprising, I thought everybody was nuts for encapsulated ejection then.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Cross posting from the AI thread...

The K-MAX made its first flight in Afghanistan over the weekend. This is a pretty cool program.

From Bill Sweetman's comment on that article...

quote:

In the lighter moments of World War II, the Spitfire was used in an unorthodox role: bringing beer kegs to the men in Normandy.

During the war, the Heneger and Constable brewery donated free beer to the troops. After D-Day, supplying the invasion troops in Normandy with vital supplies was already a challenge. Obviously, there was no room in the logistics chain for such luxuries as beer or other types of refreshments. Some men, often called “sourcers”, were able to get wine or other niceties “from the land” or rather from the locals. RAF Spitfire pilots came up with an even better idea.

The Spitfire Mk IX was an evolved version of the Spitfire, with pylons under the wings for bombs or tanks. It was discovered that the bomb pylons could also be modified to carry beer kegs. According to pictures that can be found, various sizes of kegs were used. Whether the kegs could be jettisoned in case of emergency is unknown. If the Spitfire flew high enough, the cold air at altitude would even refresh the beer, making it ready for consumption upon arrival.

A variation of this was a long range fuel tank modified to carry beer instead of fuel. The modification even received the official designation Mod. XXX. Propaganda services were quick to pick up on this, which probably explains the “official” designation

Read the whole thing and check out the awesome pictures.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ernst Blofeld approves.

:byodood: MEEESTER BOOOOONNNNNNNNNDDD!

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

Why didnt these just explode at altitude from the pressure?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

grover posted:

Yes, that's it, ekronoplan aircraft carrier about 13:00 in, just look at the motherfucker:

Not much of a runway, but then, you don't really need a runway when your airfield is already flying above your aircrafts' stall speed!

It looks like a mix of the badguy plane/ship from the final battle from Avatar and some sort of end boss plane from an early Ace Combat.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Why didnt these just explode at altitude from the pressure?

It's unlikely that the Spitfire Beerwagon climbed high enough to run into pressurisation issues. The whole "cold enough to chill at altitude" bit doesn't matter as much - I expect that just cruising along in IFR (I Follow Roads) conditions would cool down a keg just from the airflow.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ygolonac posted:

It's unlikely that the Spitfire Beerwagon climbed high enough to run into pressurisation issues. The whole "cold enough to chill at altitude" bit doesn't matter as much - I expect that just cruising along in IFR (I Follow Roads) conditions would cool down a keg just from the airflow.

That's not really how wind chill works...

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
British people drink warm beer anyway

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy
In the summer in clear weather, you don't get below freezing point till about 10k feet. So if they cruise at 7k-8K, it'll get cold enough. 9K is where you need an oxygen mask for extended periods of time. Go over 10k ft without a mask and you'll pass out in 3-5 minutes.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Propagandalf posted:

In the summer in clear weather, you don't get below freezing point till about 10k feet. So if they cruise at 7k-8K, it'll get cold enough. 9K is where you need an oxygen mask for extended periods of time. Go over 10k ft without a mask and you'll pass out in 3-5 minutes.

I've been on mountains at ~10K for quite a long time and not passed out, so why is it different in a plane?

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy
You acclimatize slowly when you hike and it's not a big deal. You might feel more tired than you should and have trouble focusing on distant objects, but that's about it. In a plane you go from normal pressure and oxygen content to seriously depleted oxygen content in minutes.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Propagandalf posted:

Interesting. I know for skydiving we are required to use it if jumping from higher than 15k MSL. I forget the cutoff where prebreathing is required.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy
9K usually won't kill you, but after 10-15 minutes you'll start feeling like poo poo. Red/black vision, spotty vision, tunnel vision, slow focusing, diminished reaction time, compromised manual dexterity, numbness in the fingers. It's a lot like being drunk. You really don't want that poo poo at 500mph.

5 minutes at 10k MSL freespace in average weather conditions is about the 'oh poo poo brain damage' point, but it varies based on air pressure and terrain. When you're up on a mountain, you're at lower atmospheric pressure than sea level, but higher atmospheric pressure (thus more concentrated oxygen) than at equivalent altitude in freespace. Air has to push on things that resist to have pressure, when those things are higher in altitude, air pressure goes up correspondingly. Think of it as atmospheric surface tension. This is why you can get people climbing Everest without oxygen or by taking supplemental oxygen every few minutes instead of being permanently hooked up to a tank like fighter pilots.

If you hike up a mountain over the course of a few hours, your body adapts to the pressure and oxygen levels and you won't get life threatening symptoms till even higher. The physical activity helps you adapt over time, since you're using oxygen at a higher rate your body reacts faster to changes. Andeans chew coca leaves to fight off altitude sickness, since it's a mild stimulant it counters a lot of the sluggishness and increases your heart rate- delivering less oxygen but more often, without physical exertion to increase oxygen use rate.

Propagandalf fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 21, 2011

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Propagandalf posted:

9K usually won't kill you, but after 10-15 minutes you'll start feeling like poo poo. Red/black vision, spotty vision, tunnel vision, slow focusing, diminished reaction time, compromised manual dexterity, numbness in the fingers. It's a lot like being drunk. You really don't want that poo poo at 500mph.

5 minutes at 10k MSL freespace in average weather conditions is about the 'oh poo poo brain damage' point, but it varies based on air pressure and terrain. When you're up on a mountain, you're at lower atmospheric pressure than sea level, but higher atmospheric pressure (thus more concentrated oxygen) than at equivalent altitude in freespace. Air has to push on things that resist to have pressure, when those things are higher in altitude, air pressure goes up correspondingly. Think of it as atmospheric surface tension. This is why you can get people climbing Everest without oxygen or by taking supplemental oxygen every few minutes instead of being permanently hooked up to a tank like fighter pilots.

If you hike up a mountain over the course of a few hours, your body adapts to the pressure and oxygen levels and you won't get life threatening symptoms till even higher. The physical activity helps you adapt over time, since you're using oxygen at a higher rate your body reacts faster to changes. Andeans chew coca leaves to fight off altitude sickness, since it's a mild stimulant it counters a lot of the sluggishness and increases your heart rate- delivering less oxygen but more often, without physical exertion to increase oxygen use rate.

Cool. I'm planning on taking PFT this spring. If there is video I'll post it so you guys can see my loopy as gently caress.

Who makes those avatars by the way? They are loving hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Propagandalf posted:

9K usually won't kill you, but after 10-15 minutes you'll start feeling like poo poo. Red/black vision, spotty vision, tunnel vision, slow focusing, diminished reaction time, compromised manual dexterity, numbness in the fingers.

5 minutes at 10k MSL freespace in average weather conditions is about the 'oh poo poo brain damage' point, but it varies based on air pressure and terrain.

I'd beg to differ with that. I've done a few flights of 1-2 hour lengths cruising at FL95 and around there and experienced nothing like that.

For GA I think it mandatory oxygen is only needed for >30 mins above FL100. There are lots of people who transit the alps flying in the FL140 range without oxygen. Generally not up there for a long time but more than five minutes.

I'm sure glider pilots have been known to get up near 20k without oxygen but that is decidedly iffy.