Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I laughed when I flipped through it at the bookstore and saw a section called "It's hard out there for a shrimp".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
So is anyone else watching this Mystery Diners show? I never even saw a commercial for it, and was expecting an episode of Restaurant Impossible. Food Network will plug the poo poo out a show that's like a month away, but not one that's premiering this week?

Anyway, I guess the premise is they set up hidden cameras to catch employees being terrible at their jobs. At least that's what this episode is. This lady suspects her bartender is really lovely, so they send in fake customers with eyeglass cams and set up cameras in the bar and he comps them a hundred bucks in free drinks, ignores regular customers, and gives himself like $50 in tips instead of paying into the register.

So... hooray? Terrible People: The Show.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Gah, I just missed it. But you're right: they haven't been promoting it. This is the first I've heard of it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man, last episode of Next Iron Chef time.

Go Faulkner, kick that rear end in a top hat Zakarian's face up and down Kitchen Stadium.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

What's the deal with the hello kitty band-aids? Is he always cutting his fingers or is this an affectation?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Finale:

Zakarian is a douchebag and I will not watch any episode with him GRRR

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Yoshifan823 posted:

Oh man, last episode of Next Iron Chef time.

Go Faulkner, kick that rear end in a top hat Zakarian's face up and down Kitchen Stadium.

Welp, you didn't get your wish.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

I Ozma Myself posted:

Finale:

Does this mean he can finally pay his chefs overtime now?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I liked how Zakarian was repeatedly chastized for preparing multiple items using the ingredient of theme of the week, since that's kind of what Iron Chef is all about. Based on skill, it seems to make sense he's on the team now.

Doesn't mean I like this show any more or will be watching any future episodes of it or ICA on purpose. Hell, I only watched the last minute of the finale to see who won.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Moose Bigelow posted:

Does this mean he can finally pay his chefs overtime now?

But guys, he's hardly worth any money. That's why he's stuck going to St. Bart's to recharge his batteries :rolleyes:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Toffile posted:

Summer Sanders

Her
_____
Will
Be
Terrible

*train full of meat & vegetables rolls by, someone gets slimed*

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Not exactly food network, but it is Scripps. On TLC's "The Next Great Baker" last night, they sent Wesley home. While this would normally not matter a bit, they had a bit at the end of the show saying "In memory of Wesley Durden". A little googling turned up that sometime after his exit from the show he killed himself.

Good job reality TV.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'm guessing that had more to do with the two deployments than the loss on a baking show.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Phummus posted:

Not exactly food network, but it is Scripps.

TLC isn't Scripps.

I'd kill myself too if I had to spend time with Buddy Valastro, though.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

I Ozma Myself posted:

Finale:

If he's like the last 2 Iron Chefs, he'll probably be on the show once a year. They should change the name to Iron Chef Bobby Flay Throwdown. I'm so sick of watching him make waffles and cook lobster.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Yeah, I was whining and my boyfriend said the same thing, basically.
"Oh no, that show you never watch (because it's on 3x a year and it's always bobby flay) has a new iron chef!"

Elliot Rosewater
Feb 15, 2005
Squee!

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

YES. He's hysterical and one hell of a chef to boot - friends who have gone to Au Pied De Cochon rave about it much as my avatar does.

I find Food Jammers to be excruciatingly dull in the few times I've watched in every capacity - the way it's shot, the end product, and the personalities involved.

And yes, Cupcake wars. An hour long competitive show about making dozens of identical cupcakes.

An. Hour. Long.

Cupcake Wars isn't about the cupcakes. It's about the contestants' complete inability to dress themselves. Similarly, half the fun of Chopped is the horrified looks on the judges' faces when the contestants do things like dump a ton of ranch dressing on top of mangoes in a blender.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

If he's like the last 2 Iron Chefs, he'll probably be on the show once a year. They should change the name to Iron Chef Bobby Flay Throwdown. I'm so sick of watching him make waffles and cook lobster.

What, don't you enjoy hearing every sentence containing a noun, a verb, and the word "chipotle"?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I like Cupcake Wars. That being said, I only ever watch it DVR'd and skip through about 30 minutes of it (and the commercials of course). IDK, it's something to have on when I'm doing other things. I also like to watch the cake battles, so maybe I'm broken.

I'm sad enough that Chef Faulkner didn't win that I never watched the finale.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If you want to see a real stupid show about cupcakes, check out The Cupcake Girls. It's not so much about cupcakes as two incompetent boobs trying to run a business when, after one or two episodes, it becomes amazing that these people can even dress themselves in the morning.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/television/john-doyle/the-cupcake-girls-cooks-up-more-drama-than-most-soaps/article1815630/

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

flashy_mcflash posted:

If you want to see a real stupid show about cupcakes, check out The Cupcake Girls. It's not so much about cupcakes as two incompetent boobs trying to run a business when, after one or two episodes, it becomes amazing that these people can even dress themselves in the morning.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/television/john-doyle/the-cupcake-girls-cooks-up-more-drama-than-most-soaps/article1815630/

That show sounds absolutely horrible and yet I'm not surprised one bit that it has a huge following (that I've thankfully never heard of before reading that article)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I don't care what you fucks say I enjoy "Triple D". Guy Fieri is pretty much one giant eyeroll, but I've watched worse shows for 30 minutes.

Plus it works well with :350:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Have the other two new Iron Chefs been featured/on the show at all? I don't remember watching a Garcia/Forgione episode at all.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

Have the other two new Iron Chefs been featured/on the show at all? I don't remember watching a Garcia/Forgione episode at all.

Once in a while. They even had a Flay/Symon vs Garcia/Forgione battle where Garcia/Forgione obviously got destroyed.

I still really do enjoy Iron Chef though. I know the newer ones suck but I still enjo watching and, god damnit, I like Flay :(

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

explosivo posted:

I don't care what you fucks say I enjoy "Triple D". Guy Fieri is pretty much one giant eyeroll, but I've watched worse shows for 30 minutes.

I just can't stand watching him do a play by play of the cooking techniques.

No one is watching the show to actually learn anything, Guy, just smile and nod and eat the food.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I Ozma Myself posted:

I just can't stand watching him do a play by play of the cooking techniques.

No one is watching the show to actually learn anything, Guy, just smile and nod and eat the food.

Yeah, this is the worst part. I always wonder how many of the owners are blatantly fake-laughing at all his lovely jokes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
There's honestly so many things to hate about Guy Fieri that it's hard to choose just one. I too hate when he tries to awkwardly explain every step the cook is doing, but I also hate his awful jokes, I hate his awful catch phrases that he tries to promote, I hate the way he acts fake annoyed when someone actually uses one of his catch phrases, I hate the way he acts like it's a big deal when he's eating even slightly abnormal food, I hate how he acts like leaning forward while eating a messy sandwich is something he created...I just don't like him.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

axleblaze posted:

There's honestly so many things to hate about Guy Fieri that it's hard to choose just one. I too hate when he tries to awkwardly explain every step the cook is doing, but I also hate his awful jokes, I hate his awful catch phrases that he tries to promote, I hate the way he acts fake annoyed when someone actually uses one of his catch phrases, I hate the way he acts like it's a big deal when he's eating even slightly abnormal food, I hate how he acts like leaning forward while eating a messy sandwich is something he created...I just don't like him.

Don't forget that he wears his sunglasses on the back of his head.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

robot roll call posted:

Don't forget that he wears his sunglasses on the back of his head.

I was keeping his actual appearance out of it because that's just far too obvious.

I was watchign a Christmas episode recently and he went to a Chinese restaurant, and I was kind of annoyed that he tried to connect it because of that one "crazy" scene in a Christmas Story rather than the fact that half the Jews in America eat Chinese on Christmas.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
So it seems Wednesdays, Food Network is doing some sort of pilot burn-off or something. Last week was a show they didn't promote, and it was just the one episode, and now tonight was a different show, also completely out of nowhere.

This one was "Food Attacks," which is people droning on and on and on as they recount times that foods made them sick while re-enactments take place.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

explosivo posted:

Yeah, I enjoy that show. Its the sort of food I like to indulge in and the sort of places I like to visit when I'm traveling. Yeah, he's a bit of a douche and not as funny or cool as he thinks he is but I do like the fact that he seems to be kind of honest about what he eats. Most of the Food Network chefs are just ridiculous. Everything they eat is the greatest thing they've ever had and is "divine" or "amazing" or whatever. With Guy I feel like you can always see when he's kind of underwhelmed by what he's eating and when he's truly loving it.

But mostly I just like to watch a show about food I actually want to eat and which doesn't pretend I have a chance in hell of cooking it myself.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Jamesman posted:

So it seems Wednesdays, Food Network is doing some sort of pilot burn-off or something. Last week was a show they didn't promote, and it was just the one episode, and now tonight was a different show, also completely out of nowhere.
So no more Mystery Diner?

Rats. I enjoyed 5 minutes of show followed by 20 minutes of repeated dialogue.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jamesman posted:

This one was "Food Attacks," which is people droning on and on and on as they recount times that foods made them sick while re-enactments take place.

Please tell me you made this up. You made this up.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I had a thought...what happened to "The Next Food Network Star" winners? I always thought that the time slots for their shows helped killed their shows off but I was always hoping that they gone to better things than to just having their shows run on Sundays at 11.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TV Zombie posted:

I had a thought...what happened to "The Next Food Network Star" winners? I always thought that the time slots for their shows helped killed their shows off but I was always hoping that they gone to better things than to just having their shows run on Sundays at 11.

The first 2 flamed out pretty quickly. Then there was Guy, and then there were the people who they've stuck at 7 AM on the weekends.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Toffile posted:

The first 2 flamed out pretty quickly. Then there was Guy, and then there were the people who they've stuck at 7 AM on the weekends.

I think those are normal timeslots for the chef in a kitchen cooking shows. They don't move them there, they start them there. "Food Network Nighttime" which is what we all mostly watch and bitch about doesn't have a lot to do with day time food network I think.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
When you think about it the concept of Next Food Network Star is really odd. Food Network over the last few years has realized that normal cooking shows don't get great rating and have been doing everything they can to rid the schedule of them yet they have this show where the prize is you get a cooking show.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I think Melissa D'Arabian still has a show, she won a couple of seasons ago. I see Aarti in some promo every once and awhile. And the sandwich king - I think he went to sandwich heaven. I don't even remember his show playing (although he was pretty likeable, I just am not a fan of sandwiches).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, it's really just a hook to make a Top Chef competitor. Same as Next Iron Chef. Seems to be working though, given how many series both have had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Next Food Network Star predates Top Chef. Also Iron Chef is one of their more popular shows, not to mention being on it makes you synonymous with being on e of the best chefs in the country, so getting on that is not really the same as being handed some random 10am cooking show.

• Locked thread