Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Phenotype posted:

Is there any point to getting 100% on all the areas? I cleared one of the locked stages, but I can still go there for battles. I haven't tried losing one to see if it still disappears.

If you have all the areas on either Heroes or Heralds plus the 3 bonus stages at 100% you get a pretty dapper gold title but that's about it.

Im currently rocking Mephisto as my main with Myria and another Mephisto secondary. It feels a little cheap to constantly have around 3 bars but im still getting messed up by people who take huge damage/defense boosts and spam Zero mixups with army of one :( I loving hate that character with the fire of a thousand suns.

Also, a trading card game where you cant trade cards? Capcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BORK! BORK! posted:

Im currently rocking Mephisto as my main with Myria and another Mephisto secondary. It feels a little cheap to constantly have around 3 bars but im still getting messed up by people who take huge damage/defense boosts and spam Zero mixups with army of one :( I loving hate that character with the fire of a thousand suns.

You're very welcome. There's few things I love more than Zero with boosted speed, damage buffs, and Army of One. What sucks, however, is losing his solo buster loops, since Capcom likes being retarded and made it force a tech. God.

Also, my interest in this mode really died off as soon as I realized there wasn't even any way to play friends online. I could stomach the offline loss, but losing online is just loving retarded.

Pork Soda
Jan 22, 2004
Scissor Man
If you guys are having trouble with the bonus stage AI, every time the fight starts to go south do this:

Press start -> stage select :)

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I've been toying around with the Megaman card a bit and it's a lot stronger than I thought it would be.

For C. Viper it makes her focus attacks nearly instant(!) and her beam charges fast enough that you can completely lock your opponent down with the correct assists. With Frank you can have the screen filled with zombies.

Parrying is also incredible once you get the timing down.

50 Cent Bulletproof
Apr 17, 2007

STRAIGHT EDGE
KAWAII DESU
Last night I was running Fokker/Fing Fang Foom/Captain Blue.

Fokker's X-Factor constantly regens super meter and increases my attack power. FFF's gives me infinite X-Factor as long as I have above 3 meters, but I can't use Super. Captain Blue starts me at 3 meter. :ssh:

My team is Wesker/Spencer/Doom, so meter is kinda pointless when I'm killing every character in the game with one LMHS MMHS series.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Acute Hepatitis posted:

you idiots goddamn you all

But that's the way he says it in his games? Saying a catchphrase slightly wrong is really off-putting, I dunno.

Not that you'll ever notice anyway now that he's 100% useless.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Why would they nerf Phoenix's invincible assist, which requires incredible effort and luck to set up, and not touch Frank's? :I

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

AXE COP posted:

Why would they nerf Phoenix's invincible assist, which requires incredible effort and luck to set up, and not touch Frank's? :I

Capcom Balancetm

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

AXE COP posted:

Because Frank's isn't invincible?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Jmcrofts posted:

Because Frank's isn't invincible?

Well, practically speaking it is. It can technically be punished by projectiles, but at the range it will be called at that isn't really viable.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Vengarr posted:

Well, practically speaking it is. It can technically be punished by projectiles, but at the range it will be called at that isn't really viable.

You can stuff it during startup pretty drat consistently.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

AXE COP posted:

The answer is that they want to see more of Missile the dog.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Mr.Flibble posted:

It looks like Chris got a buff to to the Flamethrower!, it can now be cancelled into his launcher or his specials, before you could only cancel it into his supers.

Very good to know. My big annoyance with the flamer was always how slow the recovery was. Anyone who knew that could dash in for easy punishes on what otherwise was a really decent anti-air/zoning tool.

Being able to translate flamethrower into a combo is just cake on top.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Kuvo posted:

Ya the new Doom combo works better closer to the ground and vs bigger characters. You also have to be really fast with the cancels.

I end up using the buktooth 90% of the time because I feel it's a bit safer despite the slightly lower damage.

What's this buktooth loop I keep hearing about? I like the foot-dive loop alot, but I'm too slow on the dash cancel-into-tri-jump part half the time.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Thundercracker posted:

What's this buktooth loop I keep hearing about? I like the foot-dive loop alot, but I'm too slow on the dash cancel-into-tri-jump part half the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yPskuh1yx8

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
Wait, so they took away ALL the invincibility on break the witness? They didn't like, give it some vulnerable frames so it could be punished while still being really good?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Mr. Fun posted:

Wait, so they took away ALL the invincibility on break the witness? They didn't like, give it some vulnerable frames so it could be punished while still being really good?

It's completely vulnerable now

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Just got my first rage quit in Heroes and Heralds. The guy could not figure out Shuma Gorath and then quit during my X Factor Chaos Dimension that would have won me the match.

I'm a bit sad I never got a card :smith:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
I have a problem fighting my buddy's Vergil.

When I block Vergil's magic series he just spams SHSHSHSHSHSHSHSH... until I push block him. This block string builds him a ton of meter.

Is that punishable?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

When I block Vergil's magic series he just spams SHSHSHSHSHSHSHSH... until I push block him. This block string builds him a ton of meter.

Is that punishable?

Pushblock him and kill his rear end because Vergil whiffing H or S is a death sentence.
If he's someone who does teleports in blockstrings then once you're in the middle of his blockstring, start holding down forward. The autoguard will make it so he can't actually mix you up as long as you pushblock properly.

The thing you have to remember about Vergil's offense is that it has to end, and every single way he can end it is completely unsafe if he doesn't disengage before his assists recover.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Didn't recall seeing this posted but...yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9lHNWU4NdU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Why did Capcom feel the need to nerf Hulk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDsa79lTgS8&feature=player_embedded

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
It's pretty cool to see so many people enjoying Heroes and Heralds mode. Hopefully it gives casual players a reason to keep poking around at the game and having fun with it.

I wouldn't mind seeing more modes like this where they play like the regular version of the game but include turf battles or area control, either imaginary like "Controlling Asgard" or actual like "Best Team in the Southwest"

Interesting stuff anyhow.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Is that punishable?

In addition to what's already been said you can blow him up with an invincible crossover counter, x factor to cancel the move recovery into a combo and kill him. Only bad Vergil players spam HS.

Also, if your problem is that you're getting stuck in an HSHSHSHSHS blockstring then you aren't moving around enough and you aren't pushblocking enough. You probably also aren't using your assists enough.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Why did Capcom feel the need to nerf Hulk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDsa79lTgS8&feature=player_embedded

They took away his gamma wave infinite too IIRC.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
Mike Ross will not listen to reason, Capcom try to make him drop Hulk by force.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mr. Fun posted:

Mike Ross will not listen to reason, Capcom try to make him drop Hulk by force.

You don't know how it is, man, it starts out easy, just a H here and there, but it gets to you, all you can think is about the next armor hit, until you wake up in a ditch with seven golden letters above you and this feeling of...fraudulence.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Ghostpilot posted:

Didn't recall seeing this posted but...yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9lHNWU4NdU

Blah blah blah zero is broken does anyone know where I can listen to the full version of that mix of the Elec Man theme?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Boxman posted:

Blah blah blah zero is broken does anyone know where I can listen to the full version of that mix of the Elec Man theme?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsguUFs3AyM

Elecman's theme is one of my favorites.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Dren posted:

In addition to what's already been said you can blow him up with an invincible crossover counter, x factor to cancel the move recovery into a combo and kill him. Only bad Vergil players spam HS.

Also, if your problem is that you're getting stuck in an HSHSHSHSHS blockstring then you aren't moving around enough and you aren't pushblocking enough. You probably also aren't using your assists enough.

I highly recommend X-factor cancelling guard-stun as a tactic to learn. I've only recently started to do it, I spent X-factor usually to extend combos, double-hyper, etc, but the utility of making a lot of safe hits into unsafe hits, especially against friends you play alot with, is priceless. It's not so much about the damage as the instant shift in momentum that players can't handle.

Vergil is especially good on this because a lot of his moves depends on the huge guardstun to protect his hits. He's like Dante in that his moves actually have a large startup, which means that if he's whiffed, or can't use the guard-stun, he's wide open to punishment.

You have no idea how many Vergils I've blown up online by X-factoring Sentinel into a magic-series combo into a THC.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!
So I need some help with my team. So far I've been running Ghost Rider(Heartles Spire)/Morrigan(Dark Harmonizer)/Doom(Missiles) and I've been having a decent amount of success with this team but lately it's become more of a struggle as Ghost Rider becomes more and more of a liability because he keeps getting blown up by characters that can rush him down or zone him out before he can get his own offense set up (which is like 90% of the time). I'm trying to find another character to replace him and has better synergy with my other two characters. Right now I'm giving Skrull another shot and dabbling a bit into Spencer but I'm open to any suggestions anyone might have.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RageBeef posted:

So I need some help with my team. So far I've been running Ghost Rider(Heartles Spire)/Morrigan(Dark Harmonizer)/Doom(Missiles) and I've been having a decent amount of success with this team but lately it's become more of a struggle as Ghost Rider becomes more and more of a liability because he keeps getting blown up by characters that can rush him down or zone him out before he can get his own offense set up (which is like 90% of the time). I'm trying to find another character to replace him and has better synergy with my other two characters. Right now I'm giving Skrull another shot and dabbling a bit into Spencer but I'm open to any suggestions anyone might have.

How are you getting blown up that badly when using Ghost Rider? Doom Missiles should be doing a more than sufficient job of keeping people off you/punishing an opponent's attack. Something tells me you're not using Doom's assist enough.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
If someone is zoning out your Ghost Rider, you should be able to get free meter calling Morrigan and protecting her with Heartless Spire (back + Heavy).

Morrigan's meter build assist forces someone to come to you unless they want to give you 5 bars.

Rockiavelli
Jan 22, 2005

Because we're morons, you and I

Phenotype posted:

Is there any point to getting 100% on all the areas?

Titles for each area at 100%, but really what you want is the secret areas to 100%, because after you fully clear an area you get two cards after each fight. The secret areas, as far as I know, have a higher chance at giving rare cards.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

TaurusOxford posted:

How are you getting blown up that badly when using Ghost Rider? Doom Missiles should be doing a more than sufficient job of keeping people off you/punishing an opponent's attack. Something tells me you're not using Doom's assist enough.

See I don't know how it's happening either and maybe I'm exaggerating how badly it's happening, it just seems to be happening more prevalently as of late and is sort of frustrating. I call Missiles as often as I can and it tends to work out well enough but if they happen to get past the missiles I'm not all that sure of what to do, Heartless Spire has too much startup too be used effectively as do the rest of his normals and pushblocking hasn't really done me much good either. Maybe it's just a case of me being really bad with Ghost Rider v:shobon:v

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rockiavelli posted:

Titles for each area at 100%, but really what you want is the secret areas to 100%, because after you fully clear an area you get two cards after each fight. The secret areas, as far as I know, have a higher chance at giving rare cards.

Good to know; I've been trying to clear all the areas, so I didn't want to chance losing the secret areas, but I did notice that I was getting two cards on the regular zones that I've hit 100% on.

I can already tell that online H&H is going to be more frustrating than the regular game. No easy way to get a salty rematch, and right now I don't even know what kind of crazy poo poo is out there. What card gives you unlimited X-factor? I just got schooled by a Tron Bonne that had X-factor on the entire match.

GiZMO13SOLiD
Feb 10, 2007
yaliyd
Anyone know if footage from SoCal Regionals will be uploaded to youtube or something? The Yipes/Tasty commentary was golden during the finals!

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I finally got the Dr. Wily and Fin Fang Foom cards :whatup:

I've also noticed that the parry cards let you parry attacks even while you're being hit, which is hilarious or annoying, depending on what side of it you're on.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Don't think this was posted yet: official changelog for the new patch. http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2011/12/20/ultimate_mvc3_change_log_for_heroes__heralds_update

quote:

Anytime throw tech glitch has been removed.

Characters can now air block when falling to the ground after an air dash.

Phoenix Wright's α and β assists are no longer invincible in Turnabout Mode.

Knockback from Wolverine's "Berserker Rage" has been modified so that infinite combos are no longer possible.

The second hit of Hulk's "Anti Air Gamma Charge 2nd H" is no longer an untechable knockdown after 2 reps, so infinite combos are no longer possible.

Vergil's "Helmet Breaker" can no longer be canceled through button drumming.

Hawkeye's "Trick Shot (Violet Fizz)" poison damage will now continue during the capture state of "Quick Shot (Hunter)."

There was one frame where you could not block after activating X-Factor, but that has been fixed so you can block immediately now.

When hitting an assist character who has super armor, it has been modified so that proper hit stun still occurs.

Super armor breaking moves no longer cause a momentary freeze on hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockiavelli
Jan 22, 2005

Because we're morons, you and I

Phenotype posted:

Good to know; I've been trying to clear all the areas, so I didn't want to chance losing the secret areas, but I did notice that I was getting two cards on the regular zones that I've hit 100% on.

I can already tell that online H&H is going to be more frustrating than the regular game. No easy way to get a salty rematch, and right now I don't even know what kind of crazy poo poo is out there. What card gives you unlimited X-factor? I just got schooled by a Tron Bonne that had X-factor on the entire match.

Don't worry about it disappearing - you can always quit out from the pause menu if things aren't going as well as you'd like. At that point you're basically cheating the system, but it's been the most painless way to farm up some of the more powerful cards.

Speaking of weird combinations, I ran into a CPU team that was, as far as I could tell, literally unkillable. I know they were using a parry card, but I didn't copy them down before the match and there's no way to tell afterwards. Whenever I would hit them with something that would have killed them, they would gain more health/red health and then not die. Happened with everything I could throw at them - regular attacks, super attacks, assists - before, during, and after their X-Factor. Managed to have more health when time ran out, but it was super annoying never being able to kill the last member, hitting them enough that they had a full bar of red health, and having it regenerate completely during X-Factor.

Maybe it has to do with being able to parry while in hitstun, and the AI just parried several dozen would-be fatal attacks.

• Locked thread