Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The problem with herbs is that you end up with one spot where the herbs were resting that really taste like the herb (like too much like the herb) and the rest not herby at all. Similarly, I don't know that goose fat would add anything. Also, stay away from fresh garlic (it will taste metallicy) and pepper (it gets funky).

You just wrap the herbs in saran wrap and then cut off the top and bottom so that the fat can circulate in there to avoid herbspots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

kiteless posted:

I don't have this, but I remember the buzz when it came out:
http://www.amazon.com/Pleasures-Cooking-One-Judith-Jones/dp/0307270726/

That looks very nice thank you!

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

You just wrap the herbs in saran wrap and then cut off the top and bottom so that the fat can circulate in there to avoid herbspots.

Yeah, I've found putting a big blob of some fat in gets the flavour more spread out. I kinda like the fact that some mouthfulls are really herby and others less so, might try that trick though as others have complained in the past.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Is there a megathread of some sort for crock pots/slow cookers? I'm looking for a bunch of recipes I can throw together before work and come home to a delicious dinner instead of ordering out.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

rscott posted:

Is there a megathread of some sort for crock pots/slow cookers? I'm looking for a bunch of recipes I can throw together before work and come home to a delicious dinner instead of ordering out.

This thread is amazing, it makes me want a slow cooker even though I don't even have room for one atm

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Darval posted:

This thread is amazing, it makes me want a slow cooker even though I don't even have room for one atm

Excellent, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
In lieu of posting it elsewhere, GWSWiki now has a cat captcha (god help me) for better spam protection. If anyone has any problems with it in the next bit, let me know.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

:catstare:

slavedaeva
Aug 22, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT ALEISTER CROWLEY AND AHURA MAZDA

The Fear posted:

:catstare:

drat you, I will never look at bird skin the same way again. :(

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011

Wroughtirony posted:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/duck-a-l-orange

Pepin is the man. The recipe is for two ducks, but you can easily halve it. Don't worry about trying to find the breed of duck mentioned, because you won't. The site mentions some wine pairings. I personally like a very robust dry white or something like a Syrah with duck. The broiling step is important since duck skin (esp. on the breasts) is very fatty.

Tried this, and it was delish! thanks!

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I have some filet mignon I'm going to be preparing for Christmas dinner this year, any tips for cooking them? I was planning on doing a pan sear and then popping them in the oven, but I've never worked with this cut before, and suggestions would be welcome.

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

HMS Beagle posted:

I have some filet mignon I'm going to be preparing for Christmas dinner this year, any tips for cooking them? I was planning on doing a pan sear and then popping them in the oven, but I've never worked with this cut before, and suggestions would be welcome.
A delicious option would be Beef Wellington, packs real flavor

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I am addicted to chinese buns. I think the real name for the ones I mean is baozi. (They're filled with pork or beef but also some sweet options) How do I make these wondrous things at home?

Something like this:
http://www.orthogonalthought.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/dsc_9064_550.jpg

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Joborgzorz posted:

I am addicted to chinese buns. I think the real name for the ones I mean is baozi. (They're filled with pork or beef but also some sweet options) How do I make these wondrous things at home?

Something like this:
http://www.orthogonalthought.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/dsc_9064_550.jpg

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Home_Baked_Char_Siu_Bao_%28Hum_Bao%29

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Joborgzorz posted:

Something like this:

^^^ I'll preface this by saying that recipe up there is better, but I cheat sometimes when I want to make a quick snack by:
- dicing up some leftover pork ribs or chops with some minced aromatic veggies like onions, scallions, garlic
- glopping on some Chinese barbecue sauce (I found a little jar marked "Char Siu" in my grocer's Asian section) and a little Sriracha on it
- stuffing it into flattened out refrigerator biscuits and sealing them up
- steaming them until they puff up and start to get dry feeling

Not as good but fast and, I think, they're delicious. Julienned celery, or some lettuce or cabbage leaves, placed under them in the steamer will keep them from sticking to it and ripping.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Very Strange Things posted:

^^^ I'll preface this by saying that recipe up there is better, but I cheat sometimes when I want to make a quick snack by:
- dicing up some leftover pork ribs or chops with some minced aromatic veggies like onions, scallions, garlic
- glopping on some Chinese barbecue sauce (I found a little jar marked "Char Siu" in my grocer's Asian section) and a little Sriracha on it
- stuffing it into flattened out refrigerator biscuits and sealing them up
- steaming them until they puff up and start to get dry feeling

Not as good but fast and, I think, they're delicious. Julienned celery, or some lettuce or cabbage leaves, placed under them in the steamer will keep them from sticking to it and ripping.

If you have a decent chinese grocery/deli with a bbq counter just buy some bbq pork from them, mix it with some extra sauce from the above recipe and continue from there. I make Kiteless' from scratch when I have the time but just as often take the shortcut.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
drat I always forget about the wiki.

That looks awesome, thanks!

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I've come into possession of a boneless pork loin. No seasoning on it. I don't have a grill.

What can I do with it? The only fresh herb I have is parsley, but I have a pretty nicely stocked spice/dried herb cabinet, lemon, garlic, etc. I'm looking for something more buttery/herby than Asian. Thanks!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

I've come into possession of a boneless pork loin. No seasoning on it. I don't have a grill.

What can I do with it? The only fresh herb I have is parsley, but I have a pretty nicely stocked spice/dried herb cabinet, lemon, garlic, etc. I'm looking for something more buttery/herby than Asian. Thanks!

Pulled pork! Douse (dowse?) in Worchestershire sauce, rub in brown sugar, throw in a crock pot with some onion/garlic, and set it on low for ~8 hours.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

zerox147o posted:

Pulled pork! Douse (dowse?) in Worchestershire sauce, rub in brown sugar, throw in a crock pot with some onion/garlic, and set it on low for ~8 hours.

I'm not really a fan of loins for pulled pork personally.

My suggestion would be to do a greek rub and maybe stuff it with feta and herbs, but I've had a huge craving for good souvlaki this week so that might be colouring my suggestions.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, don't pull a loin.

I like to rub em down with some cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne, sear off then oven roast to 140. Slice thin and eat with some rice and beans.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
I made my chile con carne with ground venison, onion, garlic, chiles, and water, and it came out pretty good. Thanks newbie thread!

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I got this Yancey's Fancy Wasabi Cheddar from a bistro in town. It looks good, but I can't find any recipes for it. I've tried Google, Epicurious, and Allrecipes but all I could come up with was a salmon recipe (I'm not crazy about seafood, including fish) and a few burger recipes (I've been eating a lot of burgers lately and I need to diversify). Do you guys have any ideas? I like spicy stuff—as is evidenced by the fact that I bought this cheese in the first place—and the only things I'm averse to are pork, mushrooms, and seafood.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

CloseFriend posted:

I got this Yancey's Fancy Wasabi Cheddar from a bistro in town. It looks good, but I can't find any recipes for it. I've tried Google, Epicurious, and Allrecipes but all I could come up with was a salmon recipe (I'm not crazy about seafood, including fish) and a few burger recipes (I've been eating a lot of burgers lately and I need to diversify). Do you guys have any ideas? I like spicy stuff—as is evidenced by the fact that I bought this cheese in the first place—and the only things I'm averse to are pork, mushrooms, and seafood.

Steak and egg burrito would be the first thing I tried. Any sort of sandwich should do it, but I'm not sure what sort of recipe would outright call for wasabi cheddar.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay guys I'm going to do the crown toast for christmas dinner, it looks bad rear end and sounds like it's relatively little work. My question is... is making a bread stuffing in the middle of the crown roast a bad idea?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Okay guys I'm going to do the crown toast for christmas dinner, it looks bad rear end and sounds like it's relatively little work. My question is... is making a bread stuffing in the middle of the crown roast a bad idea?

Just make it separately in a pan, you don't gain anything from doing itin the middle of your crown toast.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Yes. The stuffing will dry out and burn and you wouldn't have enough juice run-off to make it worthwhile anyway. Crown roast is loving awesome and impressive, although it tends to be refuckulously expensive- be prepared for that. If you don't have the sort of digital probe temp that you can leave in the oven, invest in one- you'll thank me later.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I saved the neck, a chunk from the butt and the organs from a turkey. Is there a recipe to make gravy with that stuff?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
They closed down the 'is this safe to eat thread' I had marked, so I'll ask here.

Raw ground beef that had a sell by date of (I think) 12/15. I split it off a larger amount and put into a zip lock around 6 days ago. It's fairly brownish but it doesn't smell all that bad. Am I looking at food poisoning if I cook it now? I'd rather not if the risk is high since I need to go on a 6 hour drive here in a day or so.

e: going to start cooking now, but I'll check back before eating it.

thefoozl
Nov 9, 2010
I'm making a stew from lamb neck chops, onion, carrot, celery and watercress. Would red wine and/or mint go well with this?

Edit:
Thank you Mr. Wiggles

I'll use the wine, and I just so happen to have parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme in the garden as well.

thefoozl fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 21, 2011

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Good Citizen posted:

They closed down the 'is this safe to eat thread' I had marked, so I'll ask here.

Raw ground beef that had a sell by date of (I think) 12/15. I split it off a larger amount and put into a zip lock around 6 days ago. It's fairly brownish but it doesn't smell all that bad. Am I looking at food poisoning if I cook it now? I'd rather not if the risk is high since I need to go on a 6 hour drive here in a day or so.

If it smells off at all dont eat it. Nothing worse than food poisoning trust me.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.

Good Citizen posted:

When meat is bad, it's noticeable. It's probably past its prime, but I doubt you'll get sick.

Edit: Wait, I misread. What's "all that bad"?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Lyssavirus posted:

When meat is bad, it's noticeable. It's probably past its prime, but I doubt you'll get sick.

Edit: Wait, I misread. What's "all that bad"?

It smelled a little off at first but not openly bad. After I started cooking I became less sure of myself and tossed it, though. Decided to eat something else to keep on the safe side.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

thefoozl posted:

I'm making a stew from lamb neck chops, onion, carrot, celery and watercress. Would red wine and/or mint go well with this?

Wine yes, mint not so much. Though parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme would all be fine.

slavedaeva
Aug 22, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT ALEISTER CROWLEY AND AHURA MAZDA
Anyone know any diabetic/renal friendly resources? My grandfather just got his quarterly numbers back and is down to 19% renal function. We used to have the blessing of the doctor to "cheat" just a little (he could have brussles sprouts with dinner, but could not finish off the left overs the next day, if we had french fries he was allowed a small handful, etc), but we can no longer do this.

He already suffers the fun of if it tastes good he can't eat, but I would like to expand on tasty things I can pre-make and put in the freezer for him. Low sugar/carb AND low potassium leaves so few food options. :( Don't ever get sick.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
My sympathies, the renal diet is terrible. http://www.davita.com/recipes has a lot of recipes. Cooking for David is also a cookbook that I've heard mentioned. You also might want to go in for a consultation with a registered dietitian (not a nutritionist) to have them walk you through some ideas. If you can find an RD that specializes in geriatrics, so much the better.

Jenkin fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 21, 2011

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Any tips to making homemade ravioli? I found what looks to be a pretty easy recipe to make the dough, going to do some sort of cheese filling with meat/spinach/onion/and? I was also looking at the gws entry for zucchini ravioli and that looked pretty good

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Any tips to making homemade ravioli? I found what looks to be a pretty easy recipe to make the dough, going to do some sort of cheese filling with meat/spinach/onion/and? I was also looking at the gws entry for zucchini ravioli and that looked pretty good

Give yourself a lot of time, folding ravioli by hand takes loving forever.
Don't overdo it on the filling or you will pop them.
Roll the pasta as thin as you can-- every bite is two layers. Keep in mind how thin you roll when deciding how much filling to use as well.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Good call, I most definitely would have made it too thick. Any particular fillings you enjoy? Going to be cooking for my mom and sister who both don't like meat too much (but I do :()

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Good call, I most definitely would have made it too thick. Any particular fillings you enjoy? Going to be cooking for my mom and sister who both don't like meat too much (but I do :()

I tend to just do ricotta, parmesan, and spinach. Last week I had grilled chicken, mushroom, and mozzarella. Then again, I rarely make the stuff because I just end up making angel hair and throwing some olive oil on it rather than but the effort into making ravioli. Def a "I want to impress someone" meal.