Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bangkero posted:

Don't feel bad - some people need a good rear end kicking. When I first started I got my rear end handed to me after manhandling a smaller orange belt.

We get a lot of riff raff drop by our club so it happens regularly. The latest was a poo poo-talking brown belt visiting the club. Our instructor finally had enough and asked all the brown belts to show up next class. They all proceeded to randori with him one after the other. That was a fun class.

I've been asked once during newaza class when a tall white belt was picking on the newer small guys in the class. It was at the end of the class and I was already unpacking my street clothes, but our instructor told him to roll with me. Usually it's the upper belts putting people in place but since I'm one of the smaller guys I knew my instructor wanted to prove a point. Toyed with him in closed guard (got him super tired), scissor swept him, and when he tried to push me off I told to keep his elbows in and try bridging instead. He didn't listen so I arm barred him. Our instructor talked to him afterwards and he's calmed down since then (or at least we thought until he cranked my arm a couple classes later :mad:).

How did your instructor signal you? Mine gave me a nod with a wink and smile, which he only does in those situations.

VVV I wanna train at your gym. Mine's obviously not gay enough! VVV

Thanks for your input. I hope the guy got the message and won't try to be an rear end in a top hat again today because with his strenght and instinct he could be pretty good if he accepted to learn anything.

The coach just gave me a sign when we went for a water break and then told me to take the guy for randoris as much as possible and give him no chances/slam him hard and repeatedly/take a hold on the ground and make myself heavy/smother him and not let go even if he taps (not for subs obviously, just for holds).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

not let go even if he taps (not for subs obviously, just for holds).
Your coach is an idiot. If someone taps, thats it, you should reset regardless of if they're a douche. If someone is a big enough problem in the gym then they should be kicked out, not smothered and have their taps ignored. I know you're smarter than that kolliwog but I think lurkers should know thats not really accepted.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Anyone goons in Arizona/Phoenix/West Valley area have a recommendation for a BJJ gym or Judo club? Coming up empty handed...

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Your coach is an idiot. If someone taps, thats it, you should reset regardless of if they're a douche. If someone is a big enough problem in the gym then they should be kicked out, not smothered and have their taps ignored. I know you're smarter than that kolliwog but I think lurkers should know thats not really accepted.

May be the way I phrased it make it sound worst than it really was. I wasn't just keeping the hold on and keeping it there even if he was tapping. I would tell him don't give up, try to work to get out and may be change hold to give him some movement to work with.

But yeah, I would agree that it's definitely not ok in normal context to ignore someones taping, but I've seen it done quite often with holds (unless the guy look like he's suffocating) because people tend to just give up and not work to get out. 100% unacceptable when it comes to chokes and locks no matter what the context is, but I didn't think it was that uncommon when it comes to hold. I've seen it done at the 2 dojos I went to to "force" people to learn to get out of holds. I know it helped me when people did that to me a couple years ago when I had gotten into the habit of fighting a hold for may be 5 seconds and then give up if I didn't feel I was going to get out.

oh god, the guy wasn't here tonight, I feel kind of bad I hope it's unrelated.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 21, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

You MONSTER!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

We don't do that at my club. A tap is a tap. We also don't fight from the bottom of a holddown as much as you do it seems. When a holddown is on tight it's pretty hard to get out of. Maybe I'm biased as a heavyweight but when 220+ sinks down into a good pin I'd rather just move on to the next round and get better at not finding myself in that position next time.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
When we'd do 5 minute rounds we'd be instructed to try to fight out but weren't ever told to ignore taps.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

In my brief time at judo I really enjoyed when people thought they had me in inescapable pins and I just breezed out of it. Tried my hardest not to look smug, but I was feeling smug, oh yeah.

I can't wait to get back to judo, but I'm thinking about maybe taking a fight next year so I should probably take up greco instead.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Digital Scumbag posted:

Anyone goons in Arizona/Phoenix/West Valley area have a recommendation for a BJJ gym or Judo club? Coming up empty handed...

On the west side, I immediately thought about The Lab in Glendale: http://www.mmalab.com/

I haven't trained there myself, but I train BJJ under some John Crouch disciples at Southwest MMA who are pretty cool and I know they go over to the Lab to train sometimes.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

FreakyMetalKid posted:

On the west side, I immediately thought about The Lab in Glendale: http://www.mmalab.com/

Thanks for this. No idea how this slipped my mind... I'm sure I've passed by it a hundred loving times.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I think a ton of people in those groups would actually really enjoy doing real striking and sparring, if they didn't have the social programming that getting hit is like terribly painful and like the worst thing that could ever happen to you.

I've started making them spar with shots to the body only, to start them out. But by gods, that leads to awful hands. Its easy to get into and people quickly accept punches. You are right that they think that a punch is like a death touch or something.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=UUpFNovPlkKcXRJcUQGfUhqg&v=LczXRTlh__0#t=114s

Another matrix moment in thai boxing

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

KingColliwog posted:

May be the way I phrased it make it sound worst than it really was. I wasn't just keeping the hold on and keeping it there even if he was tapping. I would tell him don't give up, try to work to get out and may be change hold to give him some movement to work with.

But yeah, I would agree that it's definitely not ok in normal context to ignore someones taping, but I've seen it done quite often with holds (unless the guy look like he's suffocating) because people tend to just give up and not work to get out. 100% unacceptable when it comes to chokes and locks no matter what the context is, but I didn't think it was that uncommon when it comes to hold. I've seen it done at the 2 dojos I went to to "force" people to learn to get out of holds. I know it helped me when people did that to me a couple years ago when I had gotten into the habit of fighting a hold for may be 5 seconds and then give up if I didn't feel I was going to get out.

It is not ok in any context to outright ignore someone tapping. You don't know their medical history or what injuries they're carrying.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Hellblazer187 posted:

We don't do that at my club. A tap is a tap. We also don't fight from the bottom of a holddown as much as you do it seems. When a holddown is on tight it's pretty hard to get out of. Maybe I'm biased as a heavyweight but when 220+ sinks down into a good pin I'd rather just move on to the next round and get better at not finding myself in that position next time.

Yeah, sometimes (most of the time?) you won't manage to get out, but I think it's still worth trying. Wouldn't spend 3 minutes in a hold trying to get out, but a good 25 seconds, if only to emulate competition, can be pretty valuable. I know I got out of holds in my first comp and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have if I hadn't worked on it for real during randori.

Taratang posted:

It is not ok in any context to outright ignore someone tapping. You don't know their medical history or what injuries they're carrying.

You're probably right, never thought of it that way. I just never saw holds as sometime particularly dangerous, just pretty unpleasant. And anyway like I said people are not just keeping all their weight on and acting like you never tapped. We tend to talk (give tips on how to get out if necessary) and/or change hold to give some opportunity to get out.

Anyway, it's not something we do often and I still think it can be valuable. Especially going into a comp but hey, I can see how it carries some risk and many people could be against it.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

KingColliwog posted:

You're probably right, never thought of it that way. I just never saw holds as sometime particularly dangerous, just pretty unpleasant. And anyway like I said people are not just keeping all their weight on and acting like you never tapped. We tend to talk (give tips on how to get out if necessary) and/or change hold to give some opportunity to get out.

The problem with not allowing taps from a hold is that they can be for legitimately dangerous things. He might have dislocated a shoulder or broken a finger or he might be bleeding all over you. The correct way to do it is to ask people not to tap when they want to fight it out, not ignore taps.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
Just started my first few Jiu Jitsu classes this week. I went with the closest dojo (still 30 min away). It's only 3 weeks old and, while it's managed by a black belt, most of the training is done through blue belts. I like it so far, but my only beef would be that the training just starts right in the middle of things. They show us a sequence of moves and have us practice on each other. I'm learning, but it seems like I'm missing some basics. I guess I'll eventually glean them over time...?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Tuff Ghost posted:

Just started my first few Jiu Jitsu classes this week. I went with the closest dojo (still 30 min away). It's only 3 weeks old and, while it's managed by a black belt, most of the training is done through blue belts. I like it so far, but my only beef would be that the training just starts right in the middle of things. They show us a sequence of moves and have us practice on each other. I'm learning, but it seems like I'm missing some basics. I guess I'll eventually glean them over time...?

Yes, most schools are like this. If you want to get some basics quickly, I would recommend picking up Jiu-jitsu University by Saulo Riberio and reading the white belt section. There's nothing in the book you won't eventually learn anyway, but you will get things faster and probably be less frustrated by using it.

Ibsen
Jun 20, 2006
I am Not.
I just moved and Team Popovitch is embarrassingly close now, but I can't seem to find price information on their site. Am I going to be looking at a $100 monthly fee? Anyone here familiar with them?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

You MONSTER!

Yeah I know, I'm probably going to hell or something. Have you started BJJ? How do you like the switch?

Tuff Ghost posted:

Unless you go to a class specifically made for beginners with a fixed "starting" date then it's gonna be like this. It kind of sucks at the beginning and is annoying (I remember the first time I went to the advanced judo class I didn't know what was going on most of the time), but you'll get the hang of it. I suggest you make it a point to ask people you are training with about basic thing you'd wish to learn. Most people will be very happy to show you.

Getting a good book or DVD like Xguard suggested is also a very good idea.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

NovemberMike posted:

The problem with not allowing taps from a hold is that they can be for legitimately dangerous things. He might have dislocated a shoulder or broken a finger or he might be bleeding all over you. The correct way to do it is to ask people not to tap when they want to fight it out, not ignore taps.

Also remember that one of the ways judo differs from BJJ is that judo pins double as diaphragm chokes- you can put a guy to sleep just by putting enough weight on him with scarf hold to prevent him from inhaling.

Doesn't sound like that's exactly what's going on here, just a breach of the "tap for a break" rule, which imho is way worse- you lose your integrity, break a student's trust in the rules you've set up, and you undermine your role as a teacher. Another case of the 'ends justify the means' mentality, which always indicates that you've just turned a blind eye to the broader consequences of your actions.

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 21, 2011

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Tuff Ghost posted:

Just ask a ton of questions. Ask your instructor if you can go over some basics when you have free time in class. Ask to go through basic positions, what you want to do from different positions, and maybe a few techniques like how to break posture and how to pass guard. When pairing up to practice technique, try to pair yourself with a blue belt or better, someone you can ask a lot of questions to. You can never ask too many questions, and unless your club is full of dicks, most people will be glad to help out.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Just to add, it is totally fine to encourage people to work their way out of positions instead of tapping simply as a means of giving up, but that is a conversation to be had outside of sparring, not during.

A tap during a roll must be respected above all else, no matter what was said beforehand. You really do not want to assume someone is crying wolf only to find out they are asthmatic/epileptic/diabetic/suffer from panic attacks/choking on vomit/had an injury you didn't know about/whatever.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Also remember that one of the ways judo differs from BJJ is that judo pins double as diaphragm chokes- you can put a guy to sleep just by putting enough weight on him with scarf hold to prevent him from inhaling.

There's no rule against this in bjj, its just rare. I got caught in a tight one once and the only reason I didn't have to tap was the round ended before my air supply.

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
I'm planning on starting muay thai in jan and this place https://www.ko-muaythai.com is literally two minutes from where i live the timetable looks pretty good and £60 a month sounds quite cheap seeing as they have got two beginners classes a day every day and you can go as much as you want

just wondering if anyones got any other suggestions for london or any comment on their site etc

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

Xguard86 posted:

Yes, most schools are like this. If you want to get some basics quickly, I would recommend picking up Jiu-jitsu University by Saulo Riberio and reading the white belt section. There's nothing in the book you won't eventually learn anyway, but you will get things faster and probably be less frustrated by using it.

the e-book at beginningbjj.com is a really great (and free) resource as well. Having a basic understanding of positional heirarchy and things like that will put you way ahead of the curve. It really helps to know why you're trying to recover guard from bottom side control, instead of just being told to do it, for example.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

Yeah I know, I'm probably going to hell or something. Have you started BJJ? How do you like the switch?

Yeah I've gone for about 3 classes now. Its great having it split up into beginners and advanced grapplers and theres plenty of people at my level to grow with. I'm learning a huge amount tbh, but its too expensive for the level of coaching in my opinion but I might just be spoiled from the great talent at Judo. The coach claims a brown belt under one of the machado bro's but online all I found was a site saying he was a purple. Still more than enough to absolutely destroy a novice grappler like me but weirds me out a bit when I see conflicting reports because I know theres lots of frauds out there. It sorta just feels like a wrestling class. Is that normal? He's just giving us a good base right? Also, I miss Judo like loving crazy.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Ridleys Revenge posted:

The ex nz champ at my gym does the scarf hold and leans back and pushes my ribs into my chest and makes me tap like a bitch. I feel like a pussy tapping but drat its painful. I always thought I'd toughen up pretty quickly and my ribs would become stronger or some poo poo and he wouldn't be able to do it to me any more, but that never happened. I'm still squishy.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

What's the brown belt's name and the gym name? You could just be looking at something out of date. Are there any purple's there? Does he destroy them?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Craig Sinclair
http://www.bjj.com.au/main/?page_id=15

He doesn't ever roll. He just stands around and instructs.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Hrm. I found a random forum post that sounded positive about the place, but there are also 4 brown belts from my gym in that list who only got their belts a few months ago, so it looks like that thing is being kept pretty up to date. Having said that, it's hard to fake a belt in BJJ , especially in a big city with a lot of gyms. I imagine frauds would be outed pretty easily.

You could probably email John Will and ask him, just say that you're an intensely suspicious dude and that you're starting out so you don't know what to look for. He's a cool guy as well as one of the first non-Brazilians to get a black belt. He runs the Will-Machado organization but a quick search through his blog shows that he occasionally teaches seminars at the gym in question, so he'd know about it.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Okay cool, I may just do that out of curiosity to see what he says about him.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Can someone give me a good primer on American Kenpo? Like what it's all about, what it does and how it separates itself from other martial arts? Wiki doesn't seem to have satisfactory info.

edit: Also, is it worth checking out?

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 22, 2011

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

qwako posted:

I'm planning on starting muay thai in jan and this place https://www.ko-muaythai.com is literally two minutes from where i live the timetable looks pretty good and £60 a month sounds quite cheap seeing as they have got two beginners classes a day every day and you can go as much as you want

just wondering if anyones got any other suggestions for london or any comment on their site etc

I was just about to post saying I was going to try unarmed martial arts again (not done any since some lovely stuff in school) and I'm not such a fan of grappling. I am a total beginner and I was looking to start in the new year and Muay Thai looks like it could be good. So yeah, if anyone has any advice on London or things I could do there that'd be great.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Yeah I've gone for about 3 classes now. Its great having it split up into beginners and advanced grapplers and theres plenty of people at my level to grow with. I'm learning a huge amount tbh, but its too expensive for the level of coaching in my opinion but I might just be spoiled from the great talent at Judo. The coach claims a brown belt under one of the machado bro's but online all I found was a site saying he was a purple. Still more than enough to absolutely destroy a novice grappler like me but weirds me out a bit when I see conflicting reports because I know theres lots of frauds out there. It sorta just feels like a wrestling class. Is that normal? He's just giving us a good base right? Also, I miss Judo like loving crazy.

That's great, but you're right that BJJ is ridiculously expensive. In my area it's about 2 to 3 times more expansive for what I feel is slightly lesser quality instruction which suck or I'd be all over real BJJ classes. But hey, I found guys doing open mat time 2 times a week for 10$ a month so that's great too, even if I don't get much proper instruction.

I hope you find a judo gym again in the future so you can come back to judo/train both!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

Can someone give me a good primer on American Kenpo? Like what it's all about, what it does and how it separates itself from other martial arts? Wiki doesn't seem to have satisfactory info.

I trained with a guy who used to do Kenpo. He had some mats above his garage and I'd drive out there 2x a week to get my rear end kicked. He started training it back in the 80's and said it was pretty much kickboxing with some extra dirty striking and self defense aspects. Thats pretty much what he taught me: basic jab/cross/hook stuff, a little kicking and some standing elbow self defense striking.

When I was about to move, I asked him if I should look into it and he said that he felt like it had gone soft and pretty useless in the last few decade and that finding a real school would be too hard for it to be worthwhile. Kenpo is also a really loose term that can mean lovely strip mall karate 15 year old black belt or Chuck Liddell.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 22, 2011

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Mr Interweb posted:

This is always what I think of whenever I hear 'American Kenpo'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzh9koy7b1E&feature=player_detailpage#t=44s

Probably not true in anyway, but still...

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
man, new guys are terrifying. We're drilling kimuras from side control and this dude wrenched the poo poo out of my right shoulder. The left one's already super tight from being cranked during rolling, so at least they're even now haha. gently caress

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
He showed us an americana and he said 'thats called a kimura' and when he left i said to the guy next to me 'isnt that an americana' and he just shrugged. Are the terms interchangeable?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Nierbo posted:

He showed us an americana and he said 'thats called a kimura' and when he left i said to the guy next to me 'isnt that an americana' and he just shrugged. Are the terms interchangeable?
No, one goes up one goes down

Kimura

Americana

niethan fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
^^dammit

An americana, aka keylock or paintbrush, is where your palm is facing up with your hand toward your head (in relation to your elbow). A kimura is the opposite with your palm down and your hand closer to your waist

• Locked thread