Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Is it okay if we talk about the Kvatch's mage guild? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

This is the best thing.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Nick Buntline posted:

So I think it's a bit of a misnomer to say that everyone has the "luxury" of copy-pasting. Every comic can do that (just like every poet can follow e.e. cummings and not bother with capital letters), but doing so has specific benefits, drawbacks, effects on aesthetics and tone, and so forth, and those need to be taken into account before the decision is made. There are certainly times where asset re-use is perfectly fine and acceptable and potentially even beneficial (arguably in situations where, like this, it evokes similarities with other forms of digital media), but there are also plenty of times where doing so would be counter to the artist's goals.
Eh, you guys are probably right, my former statement underplayed the importance of purposeful action. By "luxury" I just meant that it was a time-saving option that artists could (and often, should) at least consider, even if they ultimately decide against it. I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but many of my prior webcomic attempts were stillbirthed due to my arbitrary preconceptions of what a webcomic should be like. I think a lot of MSPA's "originality" as a comic stems from the fact that it originated as a forum game, which carried a completely different set of visual/literary expectations.

Nick Buntline posted:

The difference between Ryan North and Tim Buckley isn't their relative proficiency at re-using art assets, it's that Ryan North is making a conscious aesthetic decision while Tim Buckely is a lazy sack of poo poo who refuses to learn basic artistic concepts.
Though I admit I don't think it's entirely fair to hate on Tim Buckley's art. His attitude is poor, but his drawing ability is more than sufficient to carry out his writing. And that writing is the real flaw in his work: I'd even go as far as to say that a professional illustrator wouldn't be able to deliver Buckley's concepts and dialogue any better than Buckey himself does now. If anything, he is making a very intelligent decision in not wasting time or money on better art.

loquacius posted:

Well, being linked on Bethesda's Twitter account sort of stole a lot of this post's thunder, but it's also kinda cool that Three Panel Soul linked Prequel after running a Skyrim strip (involving a Khajiit). Some more webcomic props to throw on the big pile!
While being linked by Beth was a big deal, numbers-wise the link from TPS has actually stolen a lot of Beth's thunder! Check the graph on the last page; I've been getting a lot of traffic from Three Panel Soul all week and only a brief burst from Twitter.

Though today I've been getting an influx of new readers from Reddit. The guy who helped me with the website CSS posted the earflop gif there with the simple caption "Khajiit mages". It was my first time getting over 10k unique visitors in a single day.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Dec 10, 2011

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Haledjian posted:

This is the best thing.

It really is. :3:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
That's probably one of the funniest TES-related images I've ever seen.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Calling it now: Kazerad is going to have a successful line of plush toys for sale less than a year from now

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Haledjian posted:

Calling it now: Kazerad is going to have a successful line of plush toys for sale less than a year from now

My understanding of Copyright law is kinda murky, but would that even be feasible without getting into trouble with Bethesda?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pakled posted:

My understanding of Copyright law is kinda murky, but would that even be feasible without getting into trouble with Bethesda?

Without expensive lawyers to argue that he's really 'Hooded cultist man' with no ties to any Bethesda IP no, probably not.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Without expensive lawyers to argue that he's really 'Hooded cultist man' with no ties to any Bethesda IP no, probably not.

The Minecraft guy is getting sued by Bethesda over his new game being called "Scrolls". I very much doubt Kaz could sell Prequel merch.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
So then clearly the only option is to develop officially licensed Bethesda swag and take a cut.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Well, considering that the Elder Scrolls property tried (is still trying?) to branch out into books, it wouldn't be out of the question if they had an interest in a line of official comic books. Might be something to consider.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Android Blues posted:

The Minecraft guy is getting sued by Bethesda over his new game being called "Scrolls". I very much doubt Kaz could sell Prequel merch.

Notch actually won that case, as he should have.

I don't think Bethesda would have much legal basis to a lawsuit against selling Prequel merchandise that don't explicitly use Bethesda characters. Trying to sell Prequel as a book would be a problem, but not selling a Katia plush since the only part of her that Bethesda owns is the name of her race, which wouldn't need to be advertised at all. They would have to prove that their intellectual property or future possible profits were being harmed by the existence of a cat person - of which there are no shortage of, both copyright and not.

Think of the difference between comparing a stuffed Pikachu to counterfeits, and comparing a Warhammer 40k Space Marine to StarCraft Space Marines. In the first example, Nintendo has ownership of the likeness of a uniquely created character, while in the second example, both Games Workshop and Blizzard are using nameless characters with similar physical features, without a sole originator owning the likeness of a guy in armor with a gun.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 12, 2011

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Hell, its has to be more legal then the King Dee Dee plush that the guy who makes Brawl in the Family sells

http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/store/dollpic02/

Commutator
Jul 17, 2009
You're an interesting dude, Kazerad. It's pretty neat hearing you talk about gaining fans and building a readership from a purely economic point of view. Sure, some people might say its disingenuous, manipulative, mercenary, whatever, but I think you're just being real and I admire that.

More to the point, I like Prequel a lot too, even if it does come off as a bit sex-negative at times. The art is attractive, and it's got some pretty drat original characters for a work of fan fiction. I also appreciate how you hold characters accountable for their flaws - it seemed from the comments that some readers were pissed that Katia wouldn't do certain things even when commanded to, like muster the courage to fight Gro-upp, or resist the urge to drink from that smashed wine bottle. But anyone paying attention to the story would have known Katia wouldn't be able to do those things. I'm glad you chose to keep her character consistent, so that if maybe she is ever able to do those kinds of things in the future it will actually mean something.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Are you guys really asking for a plush catgirl

I mean really

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I mean really

Yes. :colbert:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Clearly the solution is, if a plush catgirl is ever made, hidden in the stuffing is a small sheet of paper. On that paper is a picture of Katia crying.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kgummy posted:

Clearly the solution is, if a plush catgirl is ever made, hidden in the stuffing is a small sheet of paper. On that paper is a picture of Katia crying.

Most of the people who would be likely to find such a thing would probably consider it an incentive. But some DIY craftsperson is going to try to clean up and repair their plush Katia at some point and wind up traumatized.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I'd think there's be a greater demand for a Legion Horse plushie, with realistic drawn-on angry eyebrows.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So, due to this thread, I stayed up until 5:30 in the morning reading through the comic and thread. :shepicide: Good comic so far, and I'm eager to see more.

Haledjian posted:

This is the best thing.

Also this.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Haledjian posted:

I got burned on fiesta cat, never again!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Sindow posted:

Hello I made these for easier story reading and thought you would enjoy them :)

http://nothotbutspicy.com/pa/

Just wanted to add, ever since I wanted to make a MSPA styled comic, I was wondering why nobody ever did something similar to Kid Radd.
Great minds think alike!
EDIT: (The great minds thing doesn't mean me, it means the kid radd guy (you know, before I get accused of being an egotist))

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

So apparently, Prequel got a mention on Bethesda's Facebook page, and consequently the Prequel site went down for a bit.

*E* Or rather, Bethesda mentioned Prequel on the Elder Scrolls' Facebook page.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

IronSaber posted:

So apparently, Prequel got a mention on Bethesda's Facebook page, and consequently the Prequel site went down for a bit.

*E* Or rather, Bethesda mentioned Prequel on the Elder Scrolls' Facebook page.

Have you now seen how much easier it was to write in the active voice?

"From the makers of MS Paint Adventures, follow/contribute to the story of a Khajiit trying to make it in the world."

Homestuck is just the warmup for Prequel.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MrBims posted:

Have you now seen how much easier it was to write in the active voice?

"From the makers of MS Paint Adventures, follow/contribute to the story of a Khajiit trying to make it in the world."

Homestuck is just the warmup for Prequel.

Someone might want to inform them this is not a true thing.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I think this is the best 404 page I've ever seen.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Kazerad is Hussie's alt. ego you heard it here first folks

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Update.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Wrist Watch posted:

Update.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Wrist Watch posted:

Update.

I honestly thought the ball gag was pretty well executed.

:haw:

I'm worse than hitler

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 21, 2011

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Well, that was an adventure! The site should be all better now, and sufficiently shielded from any similar occurrences in the future. It could probably survive a full-on slashdotting right now if it had to.

Commutator posted:

You're an interesting dude, Kazerad. It's pretty neat hearing you talk about gaining fans and building a readership from a purely economic point of view. Sure, some people might say its disingenuous, manipulative, mercenary, whatever, but I think you're just being real and I admire that.

More to the point, I like Prequel a lot too, even if it does come off as a bit sex-negative at times. The art is attractive, and it's got some pretty drat original characters for a work of fan fiction. I also appreciate how you hold characters accountable for their flaws - it seemed from the comments that some readers were pissed that Katia wouldn't do certain things even when commanded to, like muster the courage to fight Gro-upp, or resist the urge to drink from that smashed wine bottle. But anyone paying attention to the story would have known Katia wouldn't be able to do those things. I'm glad you chose to keep her character consistent, so that if maybe she is ever able to do those kinds of things in the future it will actually mean something.

Thanks! Being called an interesting dude is pretty much the biggest compliment I can think of.

As for the sex-negative thing, I know I've said it before but Katia's views do not necessarily reflect my own. But even then, I think "sex-negative" is a somewhat misleading label for her views. A lot of her statements border on outright slut-shaming, but at the same time she has only been shown applying them to herself. In a lot of ways you could compare it to a depressed, middle-aged accountant who looks back on his life and says "I could've been a musician". He clearly doesn't value accounting very much... but would it be right to tell him this belief was wrong, or construe this as an attack on accounting in general?

Yeah, I just made an analogy where accounting represents sex. But it's an apt one. Katia's sex-negativity doesn't seem to come from any ethical beliefs, but rather from a dissatisfaction with her old lifestyle. A lot of it clearly stems from social reasons: she wants people to respect her more than they did. You could berate her for caring so much about the opinions of others, or you could praise her for going after something she wants. Both are valid ways of looking at the situation.

Even though it's used as a pretty major part of her character, I think it's safe to say the comic isn't really making a statement one way or the other about sex. Katia is clearly trying to dissociate herself from it, but at the same time she is a depressed, neurotic mess and her views should probably not be taken as gospel. It would probably be construed as much less sex-negative if she chose her words more tactfully, but giving her internal thoughts a sterile, politically correct vocabulary just seems unrealistic. After all, this is a woman who hates herself.

And I'll be perfectly honest: I don't trust myself to talk intelligently about issues of sex positivity/negativity. I just don't know enough about the different arguments and research. When I'm writing in-character I can have Katia cluelessly bumble through these deep topics, but I wouldn't want to make any actual statements about them unless I did a whole lot of reading beforehand.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I mean really

Guys, plush toys (and merchandising in general) are a lot of work and probably never going to happen.

Though I did see a great idea on 4chan: a Katia plushie that cries when you squeeze it, and is refilled via a booze bottle.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 21, 2011

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Kazerad posted:

Though I did see a great idea on 4chan: a Katia plushie that cries when you squeeze it, and is refilled via LUCK, HAPPY THOUGHTS AND NICE THINGS.
:mad:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I assumed the sex-negativity didn't have much to do with Katia's own views on sex, more that it only really comes up in the story as a way for the main character to suffer more shame, misery, and personal failure - nobody's going to think what happened with Ghro-Upp or Dmitri were good times. That plus her apparently miserable past, alcohol addiction, and supposed former cult membership all sort of imply sex only exists as a danger for Katia to avoid, and one the readers must try to shepherd her away from with their suggestions. It's another bad thing that can happen to her, with no chance of being a good thing, which I guess is what might cause people to see a story as casting sex itself in a negative light.

Then again it's not really the focus of the story and likely to promote nasty derails, not to mention that sometimes bad things just plain happen to characters and it isn't meant to be any higher commentary than that.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 21, 2011

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are we going to find out if Katia has CHIM or something similar?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Are we going to find out if Katia has CHIM or something similar?

The hell is CHIM?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Volmarias posted:

The hell is CHIM?

"Urbandictionary.com posted:

Way of naming the sexual relationship blatantly existent between Cheryl Tweedy and Kimberley Walsh from Girls Aloud.

Which would seem to indicate that Pollyanna thinks Katia/Quill-Weave is going to grab the other's rear end and exchange a knowing look or something. :confused: I don't see why Kazerad would as IIRC he's already said that he finds that his audience likes it when he teases them with the possibility and then takes the rug out from under that idea rather than having consistent and unrefuted allusions to there being a thing between the two; plus, this would very quickly take it into fanservice territory and this kind of comic isn't going to benefit qualitatively from that kind of thing.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I don't know if you're serious, but no, that's not it at all. It's an Elder Scrolls thing.

(Katia doesn't even have the usual player character perks of, say, getting a perfect wolf pelt just by opening the dead wolf as a container, so it's probably difficult to get much further away from CHIM than she is right now.)

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Wow, humans really loving love corn.

RebelWorm
Mar 23, 2011

I'm a tough guy
Well, corn is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

I don't know if you're serious, but no, that's not it at all. It's an Elder Scrolls thing.

(Katia doesn't even have the usual player character perks of, say, getting a perfect wolf pelt just by opening the dead wolf as a container, so it's probably difficult to get much further away from CHIM than she is right now.)

I read that entire OP and still have no idea what the hell CHIM is.

• Locked thread