Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002
also, those brightwoods thigns are really awesome... do want!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Thumposaurus posted:

This says that particular design is wood and resin
http://www.gruppoavanzini.com/it/collezioni/bright-woods/

It could be the "ribs" are preformed and then resin injected into a mold encasing the whole thing in resin. I can't imagine they are solid wood all the way through they would weigh a ton.

What do you mean by being solid wood all the way through? They're almost certainly ribs or rings. The thing needs to be hollow because the way the layers are oriented, there'd be no way to light up the resin/acrylic layers. IF the layer were horizontal, a piece could be insert up the middle that hits all of the layers but in the case of the pieces on that page, I think they basically need to be entirely hollow. Does that make sense?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Yea if the ribs were kept thin you could totally do that with resin. I suppose you could do wood/acrylic but you'd have nasty glue lines and such obscuring, using straight resin would have the best look? You'd have to make a nice jig to hold it all in place.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
So a buddy of mine dropped off two brand new cherry stained walnut bed posts that he somehow got but didn't want. I'm trying to think of something creative I can do with them. Of course the first thing I could do would be to make fancy routed headboard but I don't really need one of those.

I could strip them, fill the holes, cut them down a little and turn them into a fancy gate to my garden. I'd likely look nice if I added a short fence all around it.

Crappy cell phone picture will hopefully inspire someone to suggest something amazing.

http://i.imgur.com/fwbNV.jpg

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Anubis posted:

So a buddy of mine dropped off two brand new cherry stained walnut bed posts that he somehow got but didn't want. I'm trying to think of something creative I can do with them. Of course the first thing I could do would be to make fancy routed headboard but I don't really need one of those.

I could strip them, fill the holes, cut them down a little and turn them into a fancy gate to my garden. I'd likely look nice if I added a short fence all around it.

Crappy cell phone picture will hopefully inspire someone to suggest something amazing.

http://i.imgur.com/fwbNV.jpg

Make Totem poles.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So I've decided to spend my weekend time and money on things other than alcohol, and I was always a fan of woodworking when I was a kid. As an added bonus, I just moved and need furniture (coffee table, end tables, book cases, etc.), so I figure it'll be a practical hobby, too.

Anyway, I'm struggling to find a large design repository online. Is there a goon-approved woodworking plans site?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/resources/index.php?cat=102

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

psydude posted:

So I've decided to spend my weekend time and money on things other than alcohol, and I was always a fan of woodworking when I was a kid. As an added bonus, I just moved and need furniture (coffee table, end tables, book cases, etc.), so I figure it'll be a practical hobby, too.

Anyway, I'm struggling to find a large design repository online. Is there a goon-approved woodworking plans site?

http://www.woodgears.ca has a variety of furniture plans in addition to lots of quirky small projects that might be a fun way to practice.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
So, I've been following this thread for a few months now and it's awesome to see how creative some of you are when it comes to this stuff. I do it for a living, but it's mostly finish/trim work and not really arts and craft type stuff, but hey, woodworking is woodworking right? I love it and I'm content do get paid for it until I retire which is only ~35 years away.

I finished a job this afternoon and remembered to actually take pictures for once (I haven't taken pictures of my work in years) but it was a pretty fun and a little different of a job compared to what is usually on the schedule.

I started this on November 28th and up until Friday, most of the time was spent capping the walls and running the fascia along the 3 balconies followed by even more cap and then a whole bunch of trim. Yesterday I finally got around to putting in the 17 treads and risers and both of the landings and then spent all day today running trim under each tread and sanding until my arm was numb.

Anyways, picture time, apologies in advance for the lighting/dust. My camera has certainly seen better days:

1st balcony, ran the fascia and all of the inserts/trim. There are 2 other straight balconies that were basically the same thing. One was above where I was standing facing the same direction and the other was about 15 feet behind me facing the entrance -

Close up of one of the inserts and the mitered corner on the balcony -

Standing at the bottom of the stair as if you were about to go up -

Close to the bottom of the stair, but has the entire left side to the second floor in view -

Head on, facing the second stair and landing with the 3rd set in view going to the left and right balconies -

Standing on the first landing, getting a shot of the 3rd set going up to the right balcony -

Close up of the capped wall upstairs. The owner wanted 2 layers of cap on the wall with the 2nd layer having his hand picked trim ran down each side to give the appearance of 3 actual layers. The first layer of cap had to dado on top of the skirts and base and then follow a 5/16" reveal the entire way with each subsequent layer going in another 5/16" (the trim was actually less than this, but he wanted it anyways.) -

Everything is solid oak with the exception of each of the inserts on the fascia. I ran those with 1/4" laminated plywood, otherwise solid material would just shatter all over the place. The treads/landing are 1" thick solid oak and the skirts, base, fascia, risers and both layers of cap were 3/4".

In total, the material list came out to over 500 board feet of solid stock and another ~650 feet of various trim. In most cases, I would run the posts/ballusters and handrails as well, but the owner is having a custom rod iron rail shipped in from Calgary (this is in southern California) to be placed on top of the wall caps which is why all of the returns have a 2 1/2" dado running down them, for him to set his posts in and bolt to the wall.

I don't stain, so whenever I leave a job, it's completely sanded out and ready for stain which will most likely be sometime this week if he is smart.

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 14, 2011

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004
Those brick walls don't deserve your stairs. They look incredible. Please keep posting.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Looks like a super job and I hope you post pictures of the finished project but the construction baffle me. What... the hell is going on with all that brick, and what looks like inside? Is there a Fritzl cellar underneath or something?

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
That's actually a bathroom, heh. It's a decades old bar that is being renovated into something new/classy/upscale. Which is to say, most of the existing walls weren't the greatest at all and I guess he just really likes brick or something. Interestingly enough, there is a cellar underneath the actual stair and you can kind of see the casing on the door leading to it on the right side.

I'll try and swing by in a week or two once it's stained and the iron is in and grab a few pictures, as far as I know it is going to be stained a dark Cherry type finish which I'm not sure how it will look, but that is the color of the bar itself and most of the flooring throughout.

Starting a new one today but it is fairly straightforward stuff, I'll post some before/midway pictures this evening and how it turns out tomorrow or Friday.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Can anyone recommend a book for learning woodworking and/or that has plans in it? It's a gift idea that I'm considering for my brother who has recently started acquiring tools and building things. It would need to be more than a complete moron's guide as he's pretty handy. Is there some sort of commonly accepted wood-working bible?

Hell, thinking about it I'd kinda like to have something like that for myself too, at least when I eventually get some space to tackle such projects.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

http://www.amazon.com/Tage-Teaches-Woodworking-Step-Step/dp/1561588261

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
My first thought when seeing those stairs was the end of the movie Labyrinth. Other than that, they look amazing!

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!

Blistex posted:

My first thought when seeing those stairs was the end of the movie Labyrinth. Because of that, they look amazing!

Fixed that for you.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Does anyone use a combination square like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004JNAUD6/ref=mp_s_a_12?qid=1323834717&sr=8-12

How does a magnetic one compare to just the normal thumb screw?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

mds2 posted:

Does anyone use a combination square like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004JNAUD6/ref=mp_s_a_12?qid=1323834717&sr=8-12

How does a magnetic one compare to just the normal thumb screw?

Yes, but a precision starrett one, just was using one for setting up the new sawstop. Never seen the magnetic thing.. don't like it. Thumbscrew works great for me? I'd rather spend my money on making sure the instrument was perfectly square and the ruler was of specific tolerances than the locking mechanism.

Johnny Bravo, those stairs are great but the brick.. hideous! They're right in the middle of a wall too, weird. Nice work though.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Not an Anthem posted:

Yes, but a precision starrett one, just was using one for setting up the new sawstop. Never seen the magnetic thing.. don't like it. Thumbscrew works great for me? I'd rather spend my money on making sure the instrument was perfectly square and the ruler was of specific tolerances than the locking mechanism.

I use a normal thumb screw square now, I had just never seen a magnetic one. Was just curious what people thought of them.

Why you would think the locking mechanism would affect the squareness and tolerances? Or why you don't like it when you never used one.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Cmon, I know you assholes are making Christmas gifts. Post them. Here's a bowl I just did for my sister.

Here are some gift tags I made with my sisters engraver I have borrowed for a few days.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

mds2 posted:

I use a normal thumb screw square now, I had just never seen a magnetic one. Was just curious what people thought of them.

Why you would think the locking mechanism would affect the squareness and tolerances? Or why you don't like it when you never used one.

I'd rather spend the extra money on a square that's actually square than a square that costs extra because it has rare earth magnets rather than a thumbscrew, sorry if it came off "its crap." The locking mechanism wouldn't affect tolerances, just price.

ChaoticSeven posted:

Cmon, I know you assholes are making Christmas gifts. Post them. Here's a bowl I just did for my sister.

The shaving is a really neat gift tag idea, nice bowl too.

elegant drapery
Oct 11, 2004
Anyone have experience using Sjoberg benches? I was thinking of getting the Nordic Plus 1450 as a basic starter bench. I would then use that bench to make a storage cabinet to fit inside to add some weight.

This will be inside my studio apartment (basement level), and I will be using primarily hand tools.
I have made some things in the past but without my own bench, and I really want to build again but need something solid to start on.

There is a Woodcraft just down the street from where I work so I can make sure I don't get a damaged one, but really I'm just looking for any more reviews to go alongside what I've found already.

I made this night stand last year a broken circular saw and two saw horses+ plywood sheet as a bench. I want to remake it out of something that isn't Lowes pine, and with better joinery.

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002
I made this bowl for the company Christmas party, it’s made out of Spalted maple… it’s the only picture I have because I forgot before I gave it away.

It’s also full of worm holes… I was a bit frustrated with this but decided to go forward anyway because I was on a tight timeline.

Finished with semi gloss wipe on poly

This is also the first time I’ve ever left the middle in like that… the various angles were pretty challenging for me since I still barely know what I’m doing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
What kind of lathe are you guys using to turn your bowls? I'm getting frustrated with my cheap $80 one (aluminum frame and horribly made but hey, it got me through for a little bit and I found out I enjoy turning so it served it's purpose I suppose) and hope to pick one up with either some extra Christmas cash. In a perfect world the budget would be $600-700 but the more I look the more it appears like I'm going to have to scrounge up more than that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I am extremely happy with my Jet 12x20. It's solid, has a good amount of throw, a good bed length, and is so quiet I could sit out in my garage at 3AM and turn if I felt the desire.

That particular lathe runs about $550 for the lathe itself on amazon, plus I think like $150 for the stand? So you're looking at about the $700 you quoted. You may be able to get a better deal on some of that, too: in my case, I joined a local woodworking club ($30 annual fee) which got me 10% off the stand, the tools, extra chucks, literally everything except the part with the motor attached.

I just can't say enough good things about that lathe. I don't regret that purchase at all. Is it an industrial strength lathe that you can throw a 100-pound, totally off-center log on and expect it not to shudder or stall? No, of course not, but I've had no trouble throwing wonky firewood pieces on there that I found at the dump and turning them round, and after that, it's smooth as silk.

http://www.amazon.com/Jet-708376-JWL-1220-12-Inch-20-Inch/dp/B0011TEG7C

Oh, I guess I do have one complaint about that lathe: the flexible conduit on the lamp isn't as long as I would like. I just haven't gotten around to replacing it with a longer segment, but it's a pretty simple thing to do. Besides, a little 60 watt bulb is hardly sufficient lighting anyhow, half the time I don't even use it. :)

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002
I have a Delta 1440... I was incredibly fortunate and go it, a set of basic tools, a grinder on a stand, and some wood from a friend for $150. I think it's worth a lot more though (well hundreds more not thousands).

I wish it had a light, but the rotating headstock is an aswesome feature if I ever get brave enough to do some outboard turning (after I bolt the thing to the ground).

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Delta 46-460. Can't think of anything better in the $599 range. Low end of 250 for off balance chunks, I think the high end is 4000 for spindle turning. Super quick belt changes, electronic variable speed. 12 or 12.5" over the bed. Very nice lathe. It's what I'm using and I'll be keeping it when I get a bigger lathe too.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Carta posted:

Anyone have experience using Sjoberg benches? I was thinking of getting the Nordic Plus 1450 as a basic starter bench.

My boss is selling that one right now. He's got two and would like to sell both eventually, but one's for sale right now. If you want a used one I can email him and see if he'd be into it. Where are you located? We're in Chicago. They are great benches, he's used our two for ages (maybe two decades?).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Speaking of lathes:

Tap handles in spalted tamarind, set of nine.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Getting a RIKON Mini Lathe Model 70-100 on Saturday for christmas (was delivered to my parents last weekend). Excited to start turning again since 8th grade 16 years ago.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Carta posted:

Anyone have experience using Sjoberg benches?

I made this night stand

That's a handsome stand. I love pine.

No experience with that bench but it's a bit spindly, building a cabinet inside should help immensely though.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

wormil posted:

That's a handsome stand. I love pine.

No experience with that bench but it's a bit spindly, building a cabinet inside should help immensely though.

I guess I didn't give a full breakdown of working on them. We have now.. five full size benches and one 3/4 size, plus these two sjobergs. For a long time I think my boss was building very economically because some of the books he's written has him building some of his signature pieces on these sjobergs, chairs and such.

This is a photo of me planing down our 3/4 length roubo workbench on the two sjobergs, they're bolted to the floor with one bolt in each crossbrace, four bolts total, and I've got the bench top against the bench dogs on the sjoberg. I use them a lot for planing due to space considerations in our shop and they do great. I've used it for complex routing and the clamps are great. The little tool "tray" dip in the top is useless, I think that's my only complaint.

The little sjobergs are every bit as reliably dead simple as sjoberg clamps which we also have a bunch of. Great stuff.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Speaking of lathes:

Tap handles in spalted tamarind, set of nine.

Nice, are you rotating these in your bar or selling them?

Blake- posted:

I made this bowl for the company Christmas party

Cool, I haven't seen one like that before. Well, besides the plastic ones.

More Christmas presents.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
drat, this is becoming a turning thread and it makes me wish I had a lathe on my Christmas list but I've been too naughty this year anyway. Nice turning guys.

elegant drapery
Oct 11, 2004

Not an Anthem posted:

My boss is selling that one right now. He's got two and would like to sell both eventually, but one's for sale right now. If you want a used one I can email him and see if he'd be into it. Where are you located? We're in Chicago. They are great benches, he's used our two for ages (maybe two decades?).

I'm in zip 03290, New Hampshire. Let me know price+shipping and any more pictures if possible?

Blake-
Nov 15, 2002
Are laser engravers affordable for normal people now-a-days? We had one in high school that was fun as hell

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Depends on your definition of normal, but more or less, yeah, you can get smallish ones that'll do a number of different functions for under well under $1k, I believe.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Carta posted:

I'm in zip 03290, New Hampshire. Let me know price+shipping and any more pictures if possible?

I'll email him, he's kinda busy this week and I'm not in the shop right now. It doesn't have the double rows of dog holes, just a single row, if you're doing a lot of hand planing or relying on the dogs/holdfasts (if those are round) I might recommend the one you're looking at, that's a nice improvement. You can of course bore your own new dog holes in the bench though.

elegant drapery
Oct 11, 2004

Not an Anthem posted:

I'll email him, he's kinda busy this week and I'm not in the shop right now. It doesn't have the double rows of dog holes, just a single row, if you're doing a lot of hand planing or relying on the dogs/holdfasts (if those are round) I might recommend the one you're looking at, that's a nice improvement. You can of course bore your own new dog holes in the bench though.

I will most likely pick up the new one at Woodcraft, but I would entertain the old one if the price is right. I won't be buying anything until Feb anyway so there is no rush. Thanks !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

UPS ground would be 70$ minimum, we'd have to make a little crate to ship it probably so might be more like 80$, if you're picking it up you're already saving a chunk right there. Will let you know when he gets back to me