Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Chickalicious posted:

I set my Divacup on fire. I boil it at the end of every period, and I forgot it on the stove until I heard the smoke alarm going off. It was completely engulfed in flames.

Protip: Set a timer. :eng99:

As I am paranoid about the stove in general (gas range top), I never leave anything unattended. Then again, I don't leave the dryer running when no one is home or we're asleep.

To any other ladies having problems with the Meluna soft cups - it's not just you. I swear, it was fine for a couple cycles but now I cannot get it to cooperate. :( Even if it pops open (usually takes some fussing), I don't get a good seal. The Diva works every time, so does my regular M sized Meluna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

I think my period starting and using a different fold has worked! It's too soon to tell I guess, but today has gone fine so far - no leaks, no trouble with popping, no mess... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

fine-tune posted:

The Diva works every time, so does my regular M sized Meluna.

I have a regular M sized MeLuna so I'm hoping this will be the case for me!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

NaturalLow posted:

I'm not really sure how long you're leaving the cup in, but I'm pretty sure it is possible for it to overflow if it gets too full or your cervix is so low it takes up space in the cup. Even though you can theoretically leave them in for 12 hours, it doesn't mean you'll always be able to do it.

Not to assume this is the case with you, but it was something that came to mind as a possibility.

I once forgot about my MeLuna and slept over at my friend's house. I woke up and my pjs were all bloody. I went to the bathroom and it basically shot out of me :gonk:

To make the whole situation worse, the toilet plugged and it looked like someone was murdered in the toilet. To make THAT WORSE, her boyfriend and roommates are Jamaican and I dunno if you guys know this about Jamaican men but they HATE PERIODS. It was the worst.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Corridor posted:

It's half full at the absolute most when I take it out. I dunno if the seal is breaking somehow when I move around or what.

Yeah, I don't really know. I've just heard of people being kind of surprised that they can't go the full 12 hours and I thought that might be it. Sorry I can't be more help there.

humanROBOT
May 14, 2008
ever since I bought my MeLuna cup I can't listen to this song without thinking of .. cups.

"this here's a cup to put your blood in", indeed.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

humanROBOT posted:

ever since I bought my MeLuna cup I can't listen to this song without thinking of .. cups.

"this here's a cup to put your blood in", indeed.

For me it's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhsAUi387I

Such a catchy little ditty! :neckbeard: Every month I'm sayin' what's up to my cup-AHHH

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin

Corridor posted:

Okay, well aside from some weird pain issues that are possibly unrelated, I've been using the thing for three days now and it keeps... leaking. It's loving weird. I am 100% certain that it's popping out and creating a seal down there, I make sure of it and everything, but yesterday I checked my underwear and they were SOAKED in blood, I didn't even feel it. I put the cup back in, made extra triply sure it was settled in there okay, and went to bed. When I woke up, blood. Not much, presumably because I was horizontal all night. What the hell is the problem :psyduck:

Did you use tampons before? If so, on your lightest days when your tampon wasn't getting soaked, was only the bottom half of the tampon stained with blood? This is important, because it means your cervix is very low. If your cervix is low, having a cup that forms its seal above your cervix won't do you much good. Sure, it'll catch some blood because things move around when you sit and walk, but it will miss a lot.

Turn your cup inside out. Just cut off the stem and pop it right inside out. It will make your cup shorter and squatter and may be the answer to all your dreams.

This is a really important tip guys. Anyone who had problems with tampons before most likely has a low cervix. It doesn't hurt a thing to try to use your cup inside out. And if it works- bonus!

-Representin' the inside out crew since 2009.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

ThreeFish posted:

Did you use tampons before? If so, on your lightest days when your tampon wasn't getting soaked, was only the bottom half of the tampon stained with blood? This is important, because it means your cervix is very low. If your cervix is low, having a cup that forms its seal above your cervix won't do you much good. Sure, it'll catch some blood because things move around when you sit and walk, but it will miss a lot.

Turn your cup inside out. Just cut off the stem and pop it right inside out. It will make your cup shorter and squatter and may be the answer to all your dreams.

This is a really important tip guys. Anyone who had problems with tampons before most likely has a low cervix. It doesn't hurt a thing to try to use your cup inside out. And if it works- bonus!

This is a great idea. Mine has been leaking on me on my heaviest day, and I've noticed that my cervix is REALLY low that day. Gonna try it inside out that day next month(after I buy one to replace the one that caught on fire).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

ThreeFish posted:

Did you use tampons before? If so, on your lightest days when your tampon wasn't getting soaked, was only the bottom half of the tampon stained with blood? This is important, because it means your cervix is very low.

One more weird mystery of my life has just been solved. :aaa: I never could figure out why the hell that always happened.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Turned the diva inside out and holy hell I'm converted. It wasn't strictly uncomfortable before, but now I can't even tell it's in there.

Cups are awesome :neckbeard:

Olphij
May 30, 2006
What's it all about?
Had the annual visit to my OB/GYN this week. I decided to ask her about menstrual cups, particularly if they were safe to use with my IUD and if they were safer to use than tampons. (I've had trouble using them in the past.)

She thought I was talking about the disposable Instead cup until I described my reusable MeLuna. She's been practicing for over 20 years and had never heard of that style of menstrual cup! :aaa: Stupidly I hadn't brought it with me or else I would have shown her what they looked like.

For the record, she said there was no reason to believe they weren't safe with IUDs. She also said they sounded like a much better alternative to tampons. If the cup is properly cleaned/rinsed every time it's emptied they cannot harbor bacteria and lead to infections or excessively dry out the vagina like tampons can.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

ThreeFish posted:

I always just make sure that my cervix is inside the rim of the cup when I check the seal. I had a ton of leaking issues before I did that, but I do think I have a low cervix. I guess that means I always have my cervix taking up space in the cup, but it works well. I have a mooncup and generally insert it just high enough that I don't get irritated with feeling like the bottom (stem is cut totally off) is trying to escape.

Anyway, had to bring that up because I kept reading that as having the cup form its seal above, but surrounding, your cervix will make you leak constantly because the cup isn't catching anything and that didn't make much sense ;)

I guess it's not always inside because my cervix goes high on the lighter days, but I just make sure that when I do the swipe around the rim I don't feel my cervix off to the side. I will try the inside out thing next cycle anyway because shorter and squatter sounds better and I've been thinking of buying a MeLuna just so I could have a shorter cup.

enitsirk fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 20, 2011

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Oh, I understand the confusion now.

I guess the "normal" place for a cervix is way at the top of the vagina:
code:
   | O |
   |   |
   |   |
   |   |
   |   |
But some people, like myself, have something vastly different:
code:
|   |
|   |
|   |
|O  |
|   |
The second example is the type of cervix placement that will cause only the bottom half of a tampon to get stained on light days, and the type which needs careful placement of menstrual cups.

In the first vagina, the cup could be anywhere and do it its job correctly. In the second, if the rim of the cup is anywhere above the cervix, it's just going to cause leakage, broken dreams, and tears.

I hope that helps!

edit: forgot code tags and had some horribly disfigured vaginal passages. Oops.

ThreeFish fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 20, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Have we had anyone talk about the yuuki? I snagged a large (up from a small diva. Oh god, ow :gonk: ).

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Nope! You'd be the first, FB! Besides getting used to the size, how are you liking it?

I almost went with the yukki for my capacity upgrade, but its slightly longer length made me pick the fleur instead. I can definitely tell that it holds more (even though I got it to overflow, too, the other night. :sigh: ). Peeing with a full-ish cup with the diva was weird, but doable. Peeing with a full-ish cup with the fleur is impossible. Pee just *won't* come out. It's the weirdest thing ever!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I now have a MeLuna with *glitter*.

My cervix is wearing the prettiest hat this Christmas season.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ThreeFish posted:

Nope! You'd be the first, FB! Besides getting used to the size, how are you liking it?

I almost went with the yukki for my capacity upgrade, but its slightly longer length made me pick the fleur instead. I can definitely tell that it holds more (even though I got it to overflow, too, the other night. :sigh: ). Peeing with a full-ish cup with the diva was weird, but doable. Peeing with a full-ish cup with the fleur is impossible. Pee just *won't* come out. It's the weirdest thing ever!

Yuukis seem to be made of really, REALLY firm stuff. My divas were firm silicone, but this thing feels like trying to fold a thick disposable plastic drinking cup that.. y'know, will fold. It has a fairly short stem, but I still turned it inside out. It took a while, due to how firm it is. The holes don't go straight through but down toward the cup part at an angle, which makes it a little difficult to clean on the fly. It actually hurt putting it in, but with enough determination it worked out. I'm using it for absolute crazy time emergencies, but I really prefer my divas. Yuuki also doesn't come with a bag. You have to buy it seperately and it all ships from Czechhoslovakia (I think) but it didn't take long to get to the US. About a week and a half, I think.

It's a good cup, but I'm not fond of it. It seems like it'd hold up for a long while. Even the small is really, really big compared to, again, the diva small.

If you're filling up a yuuki, you should probably go to the hospital though because holy crap I'm pretty sure you could fit a submarine in it.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I'm pretty sure that I can have sex with my small MeLuna! Yay! Now getting it out...

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

luscious posted:

I'm pretty sure that I can have sex with my small MeLuna! Yay! Now getting it out...

This is not the great idea that you think it is. I promise you this.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

JonBent0000 posted:

This is not the great idea that you think it is. I promise you this.

yeah, I didn't try with a partner. I did, however, use a sea-sponge yesterday and I guess I cut it too short or have a high cervix or something because I wrestled with my vagina to get it out of me. The worst.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

ThreeFish posted:

I don't know, I don't think this is it... I probably would have noticed the lower-half staining thing, and when I have the cup in it goes up far enough that I don't need to trim the stem. I'll try it next month though.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

Corridor posted:

I don't know, I don't think this is it... I probably would have noticed the lower-half staining thing, and when I have the cup in it goes up far enough that I don't need to trim the stem. I'll try it next month though.

I haven't used tampons in so long I don't remember if I ever had that lower half only issue. But just because the cup is high inside you doesn't mean it's under the opening of your cervix. Before I started checking I'd have the cup way up high and then I'd feel my cervix off to the side outside the cup. Obviously that doesn't work ;)

Do you know what your cervix feels like? Honestly it wasn't until I read Taking Charge of Your Fertility and started charting temperatures and cervical mucous that I realized what my cervix felt like and that I needed to NOT feel that when I swiped around the rim of my cup. I feel really dumb admitting that, but there you go.

Also to the heavy bleeders- a tip I got from another goon is to take Aleve. It works!

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Something rather unfortunate happened to me the other day! I was in a public restroom dumping and wiping my DivaCup, but after reinserting it there was an immediate burning sensation. Confused, I took it out again, dashed to the sinks and rinsed it off, then tried insertion again. The burning persisted. I freaked out, thinking I had some sort of extremely sudden allergy to silicone (despite the fact my earrings are silicone and they were fine) and removed it. I had no idea what happened and was pretty bummed out until I got back to my table and a half-eaten plate of extra hot buffalo wings waiting for me. Whoops. When I put it back in the next morning it was fine.

Today's lesson: Wash your hands EXTRA CAREFULLY and more than once before dumping and reinserting your cup when eating spicy things, especially when you've been drinking!

I hope you can all learn something from my pain :saddowns:

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
I didn't laugh out loud. I did, however, clap my hand over my mouth while laughing silently.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Cayenne up the vag :stare:

miserable lil onion
Oct 15, 2008
Which leads us to our lesson for Dec. 28th:

Don't leave your cup within reach of the dog.

:laugh:

Sigh.

MissConduct
Jun 20, 2008

Hardships are like training with lead weights...
When they come off, you go flying down the road!

miserable lil onion posted:

Which leads us to our lesson for Dec. 28th:

Don't leave your cup within reach of the dog.

:laugh:

Sigh.

Or if you have an especially curious and rambunctious cat, don't leave it drying besides the sink.

MissConduct fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 29, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Corridor posted:

Cayenne up the vag :stare:

Yes, I learned the hard way that delicious Tabasco on delicious pizza equals a bad case of the spicyfingers which leads to a burning bush. Yeeeowza.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

MissConduct posted:

Or if you have an especially curious and rambunctious cat, don't leave it drying besides the sink.

and don't forget

RABBITS EAT EVERYTHING

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hell, I don't even need animals to go after mine. Husband will find them no matter where I put them. "Fluffy? Why is there a cup in the bathro- ew!"

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
If your husband's chewing on your cup, trying saying "no" sternly and rapping him lightly on the nose.

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
I had a lot of leaking problems with my new diva cup (tipped uterus) but turning it inside out worked like magic. Thanks thread!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Heaven's sakes! Does anybody in this thread have a normally shaped uterus and vagina that function normally? Anybody at all?

I mean, I'm saying this as a member of the Low Cervix and PCOS Club myself. (I don't know why I joined this club. It is not a good club. I should have joined Yearbook instead.) If there's one thing I've learned from this thread, it's that lady parts are like fingerprints. No two are alike. We are all special snowflakes, Down There. :allears:

MissConduct posted:

When I first read that I forgot what thread I was in and wondered why you shouldn't dry your cat by the sink.

Hormones
May 9, 2009
Sigh. Tried a dry-run today with my medium soft Meluna. First attempt was in the shower but I just cannot get it to open no matter what fold I try - specifically punchdown and c-fold.

Decided to try later and just came back from that attempt, still no luck. Using either fold I can get it inside but I can't seem to hold it folded long enough because it opens while most of it is still outside of me, thus making it impossible to push inside.... and on the off chance I CAN get it inside I can't get it open. I try twisting from the bottom, feeling all around the rim and it's just folded.

It's been 3 months of trying stuff now... it feels like a waste of money and disappointment :(

Lezzie Borden
Jul 20, 2011
ugh I love my cup. I just started taking HBC and I had my no pill/sugar pill week. It was super light compared to normally, but it was juuust heavy enough that pantiliners wouldn't work and just light enough that tampons would hurt like hell.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Hormones posted:

Sigh. Tried a dry-run today with my medium soft Meluna. First attempt was in the shower but I just cannot get it to open no matter what fold I try - specifically punchdown and c-fold.

Decided to try later and just came back from that attempt, still no luck. Using either fold I can get it inside but I can't seem to hold it folded long enough because it opens while most of it is still outside of me, thus making it impossible to push inside.... and on the off chance I CAN get it inside I can't get it open. I try twisting from the bottom, feeling all around the rim and it's just folded.

It's been 3 months of trying stuff now... it feels like a waste of money and disappointment :(

I use a Diva and it's probably firmer than the Meluna, but when I use the punch down and it doesn't open right away, I try pushing with a finger at the part where it's folded (the corner part) and that usually does it.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Try lube, too, Hormones. Dry runs are good for getting you acquainted with shoving a hunk of silicone up your cooter, but they also have their own special problems because they are DRY runs. Menstrual blood provides a lot of lubrication which makes the cup open a lot better on its own. Water from the shower helps, but maybe something slicker will help you more?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I'm only saying this because it sounds so stupid that I feel like I should. You know that it's not going to open again fully, right? Like, it's not going to go to the shape that it was OUTSIDE of your vagina. When it's "open" inside of you, it will still be technically pinched closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Hormones posted:

I had a similar sort of issue and found that actually being on my period, as well as using the origami fold (pictures here) sorted it right out. That fold is small like the punch-down but traps a bit of air which makes the cup pop open more effectively.

• Locked thread