Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Congrats man, how long have you been training?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

Congrats man, how long have you been training?

In grappling - since 2002
In the gi - since 2008

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Congratulations and welcome to the club.

EDIT:
Also did you compete in the Renzo Gracie Open today at the MMA Expo?

Yuns fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 18, 2011

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

Congratulations and welcome to the club.

EDIT:
Also did you compete in the Renzo Gracie Open today at the MMA Expo?

Nope, I got up, went to the belt ceremony, rolled, then came home and found out that everything I was supposed to do today was cancelled because my friends are idiots, so I've been here posting about men punching each other all day

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

fatherdog posted:

Got my brown belt today. Feel good about that.

This owns p. hard

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So does this mean that all the purple belts start going twice as hard on you, or does that only happen when you get your blue belt?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

fatherdog posted:

Alright, I'll feel pretty good about that. Congratulations!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Congrats fatherdog that's huge, do you plan on teaching or just do it for the love of the sport?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

TwistedNails posted:

Congrats fatherdog that's huge, do you plan on teaching or just do it for the love of the sport?

I have a full-time job and it doesn't really allow me the schedule I'd need to do any kind of teaching. It barely allows me the schedule for learnin'.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Hey Fatherdog, award me a blue belt

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

fatherdog posted:

In grappling - since 2002

So was this just no-gi bjj or did you wrestle or something?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Bohemian Nights posted:

Hey Fatherdog, award me a blue belt

I hope when reciting your lineage you say 'Fatherdog' rather than whatever his real name is.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

fatherdog posted:

Congrats man, that's huge.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Neurosis posted:

I hope when reciting your lineage you say 'Fatherdog' rather than whatever his real name is.

Works for the Brazilian.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

henkman posted:

So was this just no-gi bjj or did you wrestle or something?

Mostly no-gi submission grappling, but I did some freestyle and greco at a club.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

So next year I was planning to take a holiday when work gets quiet, but instead of going off somewhere to sink booze and chase tail I was thinking of booking somewhere to train bjj and or work on my other skills solidly for a few weeks. I know there's a a few places around that offer training camp style stuff where you live in a train on a schedule etc, closest would be tiger MT in phuket.

I'm certainly no professional fighter, but I've been thinking more and more about competing in a few amatuer events and I feel this would help get me ready faster to compete in the middle of next year.

At the very least I think it would be a pretty cool experience to have nothing to worry about but training in the sport I love.

Does anyone have any experience doing this kind of thing?

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Seems to be the season for belt promotions. I was given my purple by Braulio on Saturday, very happy right now. :)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Internet top team belts are just as legit as anything else imo

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Taratang posted:

Seems to be the season for belt promotions. I was given my purple by Braulio on Saturday, very happy right now. :)

My club did their yearly promotions last week. We added 4 blues, 1 purple and 3 browns.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Taratang posted:

Congrats!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Taratang posted:

congrats!

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

fatherdog posted:

Congrats homie

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Hey just a question or two here, I've been out now since February cause i stupidly dislocated my shoulder a bunch of times and didnt let it heal. I got surgery just two weeks ago and doc said Ill be out till June. He did mention the possibility of light rolling or techniques earlier than that, but I think I want to find a Physiotherapist who has some sort of background in Wrestling or grappling so they can give me a more informed answer. Given that one, Im in this poo poo because I went back to training too early after the first dislocation, and two the two times I dislocated my shoulder was first in a drill, the second time in practicing a technique, so Im a little hesitant about it.

My question is, barring light rolling and that, what should I do to get back into training? I watch youtube now and then but its pretty sparse. Anyone have any good suggestions for DVD sets for basic BJJ? Im only a two stripe white belt (8mths of rolling, 3 times a week or so, no competitions yet) so obviously I don't need any x-guard/ de la riva guard videos or anything. Some basics I can watch so I keep my mental game alive. Im thinking of picking up a book or two (I bought an X-guard book last year, though i never really used it since its too advanced for me)

Also, on another topic, does there exist tournaments that are Gi-Grappling? I mean like how there's submission no-gi grappling which brings in competitors from BJJ, catch wrestling, sambo, etc. does there exist a non-BJJ "gi grappling" that brings in competitors from Judo, BJJ, Sambo, etc.?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

swagger like us posted:

Hey just a question or two here, I've been out now since February cause i stupidly dislocated my shoulder a bunch of times and didnt let it heal. I got surgery just two weeks ago and doc said Ill be out till June. He did mention the possibility of light rolling or techniques earlier than that, but I think I want to find a Physiotherapist who has some sort of background in Wrestling or grappling so they can give me a more informed answer. Given that one, Im in this poo poo because I went back to training too early after the first dislocation, and two the two times I dislocated my shoulder was first in a drill, the second time in practicing a technique, so Im a little hesitant about it.

My question is, barring light rolling and that, what should I do to get back into training? I watch youtube now and then but its pretty sparse. Anyone have any good suggestions for DVD sets for basic BJJ?

Andre Galvao has a book that's completely drills, starting with the simplest and working it's way up to more complicated. It's got some partner drills but most of them are solo, so if you want to try to keep improving your skills while you can't actually train, it would be pretty helpful.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fatherdog posted:

Andre Galvao has a book that's completely drills, starting with the simplest and working it's way up to more complicated. It's got some partner drills but most of them are solo, so if you want to try to keep improving your skills while you can't actually train, it would be pretty helpful.

the solo drills do include stuff with a yoga ball. They only cost 20 bucks, and I actually use mine all the time when I'm being a lazy video game nerd. Just fyi.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Taratang posted:

Congrats. Braulio is a cool dude.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...

swagger like us posted:

My question is, barring light rolling and that, what should I do to get back into training? I watch youtube now and then but its pretty sparse. Anyone have any good suggestions for DVD sets for basic BJJ? Im only a two stripe white belt (8mths of rolling, 3 times a week or so, no competitions yet) so obviously I don't need any x-guard/ de la riva guard videos or anything. Some basics I can watch so I keep my mental game alive. Im thinking of picking up a book or two (I bought an X-guard book last year, though i never really used it since its too advanced for me)

Also, on another topic, does there exist tournaments that are Gi-Grappling? I mean like how there's submission no-gi grappling which brings in competitors from BJJ, catch wrestling, sambo, etc. does there exist a non-BJJ "gi grappling" that brings in competitors from Judo, BJJ, Sambo, etc.?

What would make it non-bjj/judo/sambo? I don't think there is much room for another ruleset without adding striking.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

bjj black belt division would pretty much cover everything you would be doing in Judo/sambo/bjj.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Rids! posted:

What would make it non-bjj/judo/sambo? I don't think there is much room for another ruleset without adding striking.

I think he's more looking for a catch all gi tourney where dudes come from all other disciplines.

I went to one a while ago, as part of a different school altogether. Then I got deducted points for excessive force when I used a double leg take down.

Same thing happened to me at a "full contact" tournament for throwing a leg kick.

That's modern martial arts tourney's though.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

fatherdog posted:

Congrats. Braulio is a cool dude.
Thanks

I can tell you from first hand experience though he should not be allowed near a karaoke machine.

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...
The two local BJJ comps I have been in both had entries from judo clubs.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Attention cortxbomb

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

fatherdog posted:

Attention cortxbomb

Yeah I saw this. I fully support rap videos with flying armbars and dudes wearing gis in public.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

swagger like us posted:

I'm not aware of any gi grappling only tournaments.

However the last I heard the ASA Sambo guys made their tournament rules pretty liberal to get more non-sambo competitors. (Although I think Kurtka are still required.)

Might be worth looking into if you're interested in it.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 21, 2011

Stuck in Elevator
May 27, 2007
It's not so bad, there's a Czech newspaper in here.

Taratang posted:

Congrats dude, my instructor Chris got his black belt from Braulio in what must have been the same ceremony. How long were you at purple for?

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Thanks. Yeah, I don't know him very well personally but from what I hear Chris Rees is a great instructor and his black belt is well deserved.

I was a blue belt for about 2 1/2 years before my promotion last weekend.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
So today I used a calf crusher variation where you use your forearm as a fulcrum and then compresses using your leg. It was pretty dope, but the position to get it was weird as poo poo, like half back mounted, kinda like where you'd go for a kneebar.

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar

Stuck in Elevator posted:

Congrats dude, my instructor Chris got his black belt from Braulio in what must have been the same ceremony. How long were you at purple for?

I train with Chris when I'm in Swansea and trained with him before I moved away. Who are you?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Got the DVD set for ADCC 2011, watching the 65kg division right now. I guess everybody's been studying tape of the MEndes brothers; berimbolo sweeps are the new hotness. And Jeff Glover has apparently decided he's Imanari now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

fatherdog posted:

Got the DVD set for ADCC 2011, watching the 65kg division right now. I guess everybody's been studying tape of the MEndes brothers; berimbolo sweeps are the new hotness. And Jeff Glover has apparently decided he's Imanari now.

How is the production?

Is it worth the purchase price?