Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Are you dumping boiling water on the grounds? The water should be hot 195-205 F, but not boiling. Boiling water causes bitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Bob_McBob posted:

(both subjectively and objectively on the sperg-o-meter)

Well, drat. Interesting.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Gave it another shot. I boiled the water, waited 3-4 minutes before covering the grounds, let it do its thing for 30 seconds then poured over (in a circular motion around the edge). Brew time was around 2 minutes (first time was 3+ minutes). Grind was coarser than previous attempt.

Result... is the same. Flavored water, tastes like death. I feel so goddamn incompetent :saddowns:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

seravid posted:

Gave it another shot. I boiled the water, waited 3-4 minutes before covering the grounds, let it do its thing for 30 seconds then poured over (in a circular motion around the edge). Brew time was around 2 minutes (first time was 3+ minutes). Grind was coarser than previous attempt.

Result... is the same. Flavored water, tastes like death. I feel so goddamn incompetent :saddowns:

I would go with a gently caress-it opposite direction brew next time. Grind finer than the first try, use 1.5x as much coffee, and pour slow, aiming for a 4 minute extraction. The thinking here is maybe the grinds were too coarse to begin with and the water is just passing around them without actually extracting much. This is one reason I really like the CCD, it's a lot more foolproof.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

seravid posted:

then poured over (in a circular motion around the edge)
How close to the edge were you pouring? Too close and the water will just pass by grounds on the side, or so I've read.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

I would go with a gently caress-it opposite direction brew next time. Grind finer than the first try, use 1.5x as much coffee, and pour slow, aiming for a 4 minute extraction. The thinking here is maybe the grinds were too coarse to begin with and the water is just passing around them without actually extracting much. This is one reason I really like the CCD, it's a lot more foolproof.

Sounds good, I'll try it first thing in the morning.

I also already modded the mini mill, maybe that'll help.

that Vai sound posted:

How close to the edge were you pouring? Too close and the water will just pass by grounds on the side, or so I've read.

I don't think it was that close but I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Keyfour
Nov 14, 2009

seravid posted:

Thanks for the help, I'll try different grinds/temps/pour methods and see how it goes.

I can't stop thinking about the watery part, though. Any thoughts on that? Maybe it's because I've been drinking espressos all my life, but this coffee had no texture at all, it was like drinking (crappy) flavored water.

Have you ever had a well made filter coffee for comparison? I ask because the clean mouth feel is one of the main reasons people drink filter in the first place.

The extraction should be taking 3-4 minutes and when you're done there should be a layer of grounds up the sides of the filter paper and the rest in the bottom. If absolutely everything is in the bottom this could be (one of) the reasons your coffee is bitter and you should try pouring the water in a small circle in the middle, avoiding the filter paper and the extracted grounds at the edges.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Yeah, I'm kind of thinking that maybe you just don't like coffee. It could be bad beans, or improper brewing method, or... you just don't like coffee. It's supposed to be bitter. It's supposed to have a strong flavor, which makes "watery" seem kind of suspect, but I guess that's kind of subjective.

I'd usually recommend that you go find a good coffee shop, where you can try out good coffee prepared in a couple different ways, before you go all-in with your own setup.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Since no one has asked this here are a few questions. A. How much coffee have you had before this? B. Was there cream and sugar in it? C. Are you putting anything in it now?

If all you knew before this was coffee with cream and sugar, then it's going to seem watery and bitter. There is no shame in starting off drinking coffee with cream and sugar. Not everyone's taste buds, especially the bitter receptive ones act the same. The more coffee you drink and the more you learn what you like in a region, roast and brew method, the less additives you'll need.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Keyfour posted:

The extraction should be taking 3-4 minutes
Isn't the time dependent on how large a serving he's brewing?

Gravity Pike posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking that maybe you just don't like coffee.
I wouldn't say this yet. The first time I made coffee, I botched it bad even though I had watched a lot of how-to videos. I do agree with you in that he should find a good place for coffee for comparison, though.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I thought about that, maybe it's just me and I'm wasting everyone's time, but consider this:

1) I enjoy espressos/cappuccinos/lattes/etc. (and that's from unpopular machines like the Krups' Dolce Gusto) and
2) there is a total absence of any of the qualities everyone likes about this coffee. Here's one example: http://shop.ritualcoffee.com.au/products/ethiopia-shakiso-natural

"Rich, sweet chocolatey aftertaste"... If it's not a problem with the roasting/grinding/brewing/whatever then it must be me, sure, but that means my sense of taste is all hosed up because there was nothing remotely resembling a chocolatey aftertaste, unless that's coffeetalk for "strong bitter taste that won't go away even after 15 minutes" (I actually had to eat something to make it go away).

By "watery" I suppose I mean "too diluted". It reminds me of powdered drinks or that concentrated stuff that you mix with water in a 1:10 ratio, but instead of 1:10 you went with 1:1000.

Good coffee shops will be hard to find, around here "coffee" means a 50ml shot of cheap espresso drowned in sugar. Besides those and the girly drinks my Krups machine does, that's all I know, really. Hell, people here think you're crazy when you talk about filling a mug with coffee. That's one of the reasons I wanted to make the good stuff at home and hey, no regrets. Trying new things is fun, even when they taste awful.

I do apologize for monopolizing the thread. Hopefully in the next few days I'll either fix the problem or acknowledge the fact that maybe I'm more of a tea guy.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

seravid posted:

I thought about that, maybe it's just me and I'm wasting everyone's time, but consider this:

1) I enjoy espressos/cappuccinos/lattes/etc. (and that's from unpopular machines like the Krups' Dolce Gusto) and
2) there is a total absence of any of the qualities everyone likes about this coffee. Here's one example: http://shop.ritualcoffee.com.au/products/ethiopia-shakiso-natural

"Rich, sweet chocolatey aftertaste"... If it's not a problem with the roasting/grinding/brewing/whatever then it must be me, sure, but that means my sense of taste is all hosed up because there was nothing remotely resembling a chocolatey aftertaste, unless that's coffeetalk for "strong bitter taste that won't go away even after 15 minutes" (I actually had to eat something to make it go away).

By "watery" I suppose I mean "too diluted". It reminds me of powdered drinks or that concentrated stuff that you mix with water in a 1:10 ratio, but instead of 1:10 you went with 1:1000.

Good coffee shops will be hard to find, around here "coffee" means a 50ml shot of cheap espresso drowned in sugar. Besides those and the girly drinks my Krups machine does, that's all I know, really. Hell, people here think you're crazy when you talk about filling a mug with coffee. That's one of the reasons I wanted to make the good stuff at home and hey, no regrets. Trying new things is fun, even when they taste awful.

I do apologize for monopolizing the thread. Hopefully in the next few days I'll either fix the problem or acknowledge the fact that maybe I'm more of a tea guy.

I highly doubt you don't have a taste for coffee, since you do like espresso. It definitely should not be watery either, or really really bitter and astringent. And as an aside, drip and french press coffee really shouldn't be that spergy. Yes, you could weigh out every cup and get the temp of your water before the pour and time the extraction, and yes, it will get you an epic cup of coffee if everything's right. But I wing it the vast majority of the time, and I definitely do not drink coffee that could be described as you describe it, so I'm guessing something is definitely wrong, and not your taste buds.

Like I said before, try a fine grind, and also check the amount of grounds you use. I try and stick to a 2 tablespoon of grounds per cup, but I frequently go over that because I end up grinding more than I want to since I never weigh out my beans before brewing. But I'm guessing it's just a weak extraction from your coarse grind, or a bad batch of beans. Try seeking out a local roaster; mail order is nice, but no matter how good they are shipped, nothing really beats coffee roasted the day you buy it. Plus, it lets you try out smaller quantities more frequently.

My money's on the coarse grind being the culprit. It really sounds like you're getting an under-extracted cup.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Don't worry about "monopolizing" the thread. If people wanted to talk about other things, they'd bring them up. We want you to brew a cup you'll enjoy :)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Lots of useful bits of information usually come out that are pretty informative when someone has basic problems or questions anyway. I'm going to agree with pnumoman and say that you should try a finer grind. If you're still getting "watery" coffee, it might just be weak and because the actual flavors aren't being extracted, you're just getting a bad tasting, hot water.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Try finer, yes. But maybe also try brewing it French press style (coarse ish) in a separate container, and filtering it into your cup. My reasoning is this should identify if "watery" is just lack of body that you're used to in espresso or your pour over method.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Update :siren:

Finer grind (and more consistent now with the modded mill), 50% more beans (18g for 200g of water), 4 minute extraction.

First impression - while brewing - was positive, I noticed some bubbles around the cup, something I usually saw on youtube but never had here. Definite improvement on the taste, I actually managed to drink the whole cup. Still no sign of red fruits or chocolatey impressions, though. It starts with a somewhat sweet taste but that fades very quickly, instead becoming acidic (not unpleasant) and ending with the familiar bitter aftertaste (unpleasant).

That bitter taste seemed less aggressive than before and I think I can pinpoint one of its characteristics now. It feels burned, like I'm drinking coals. I have no boiling-water-proof thermometer, but I'll try to wait a few extra minutes before starting the brew to see if it helps.

I'll keep experimenting with the Ethiopian beans, but in the meantime I'd also like to try a more noob-friendly coffee, to check 1) if maybe the beans I have are over-roasted and 2) just to try an overall less aggressive coffee. Could you guys take a look here: http://www.hasbean.co.uk/ and give me a few pointers? No local roasters in my area, I'm afraid, online ones will have to do.

lags posted:

Try finer, yes. But maybe also try brewing it French press style (coarse ish) in a separate container, and filtering it into your cup. My reasoning is this should identify if "watery" is just lack of body that you're used to in espresso or your pour over method.

Good idea, I'll take a look at those.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
If you want a sweeter coffee, try something south american. I have a columbian at the moment that smells exactly like coffee, it is amazing!

If you want to start noticing flavours more go for something totally differentso you can get a good coverage of the different possibilities.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

seravid posted:

By all means buy more stuff! But for the record I just meant brew the grounds & water in a separate cup and filter into your other using your current pourover filter thingamawhatchit. Sounds like you're making progress in the right direction anyway though.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Smiley Face posted:

If you want a sweeter coffee, try something south american. I have a columbian at the moment that smells exactly like coffee, it is amazing!

If you want to start noticing flavours more go for something totally differentso you can get a good coverage of the different possibilities.

South American it is, thanks.

lags posted:

By all means buy more stuff! But for the record I just meant brew the grounds & water in a separate cup and filter into your other using your current pourover filter thingamawhatchit. Sounds like you're making progress in the right direction anyway though.

Haha, I guess I went straight to the "throw money at the problem" method. So, I should dump the grounds in a cup, fill it with water (stir?) and filter the whole thing through the dripper, is that right?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

seravid posted:

Haha, I guess I went straight to the "throw money at the problem" method. So, I should dump the grounds in a cup, fill it with water (stir?) and filter the whole thing through the dripper, is that right?

You want to grind it medium coarse and let it steep for about 4 minutes then filter. The trouble with filtering with tour dripped is that it adds more time. You need a fine mesh of some kind. Honestly I'd just buy a french press, they are dirt cheap.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I was getting average to bitter taste from my aeropress. Decided to dial my Baratza (Starbucks version) to the highest (just under drip setting) "espresso" setting and ground away.

Boiled water, measured with thermopen fo 203 degrees, poured into aeropress. Stirred, waited 4 minutes then pressed into cup. Re-boiled water to 203, made an americano.

Tasted great. I think my issue was my grind was too coarse.

For anyone with bitter aeropress coffee, try a smaller grind. Worked here although I may try even finer tomorrow.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

seravid posted:

I'd also recommend trying filtered water instead of tap water, if you're not already. Some people have good tap water, but I don't know what your situation is.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Finally received the new Virtuoso grinder that comes with Preciso burrs. I was having trouble with it at first. The bean hopper would turn on its own to finer settings when I started grinding, and sometimes nothing came out. It took a little while to figure out that the red tab on the top burr (used for alignment) was painted on the wrong side. Now it seems to be working fine when I set it up backwards to the instructions.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

that Vai sound posted:

Finally received the new Virtuoso grinder that comes with Preciso burrs. I was having trouble with it at first. The bean hopper would turn on its own to finer settings when I started grinding, and sometimes nothing came out. It took a little while to figure out that the red tab on the top burr (used for alignment) was painted on the wrong side. Now it seems to be working fine when I set it up backwards to the instructions.

What is going on with them lately? The guy getting the filthy one and yours being incorrectly labeled. Their quality control is a bit suspect at the moment.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Sounds like they should fire their new technician.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

that Vai sound posted:

I'd also recommend trying filtered water instead of tap water, if you're not already. Some people have good tap water, but I don't know what your situation is.
Yeah, I brew with the water cooler water at my work, but our tap water is basically white (minerals)

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Now that I have 10lbs of it in my hands (well, it's a Christmas present to my wife), I wanted to mention that Sweet Maria's got in a Dry Process Ethiopia Sidama Aleta Wondo. It cupped at a 90.6 at City+, and I'm pretty excited to give it a whirl. A few years back, I tried a very similar coffee (Ethiopia Sidamo Aleta Wondo Special Prep) and it was one of the best coffees I've ever tasted. It was like drinking a cup of blueberries.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

seravid posted:

Finer grind (and more consistent now with the modded mill), 50% more beans (18g for 200g of water), 4 minute extraction.

First impression - while brewing - was positive, I noticed some bubbles around the cup, something I usually saw on youtube but never had here. Definite improvement on the taste, I actually managed to drink the whole cup. Still no sign of red fruits or chocolatey impressions, though. It starts with a somewhat sweet taste but that fades very quickly, instead becoming acidic (not unpleasant) and ending with the familiar bitter aftertaste (unpleasant).

That bitter taste seemed less aggressive than before and I think I can pinpoint one of its characteristics now. It feels burned, like I'm drinking coals. I have no boiling-water-proof thermometer, but I'll try to wait a few extra minutes before starting the brew to see if it helps.

I'll keep experimenting with the Ethiopian beans, but in the meantime I'd also like to try a more noob-friendly coffee, to check 1) if maybe the beans I have are over-roasted and 2) just to try an overall less aggressive coffee. Could you guys take a look here: http://www.hasbean.co.uk/ and give me a few pointers? No local roasters in my area, I'm afraid, online ones will have to do.

A week from roasting should not have any detrimental effect on the coffee, it tends to stay OK up to a month or so.

I buy coffee from Hasbean all the time, and they tend to roast on the lighter side, hence there is virtually no risk of getting over-roasted beans, El Salvador La Ilusion would be first on my list to try followed by one of the Kenyan beans.

Also, do yourself a favour and get a Clever Coffee Dripper (sweetmarias/hasbean sells them). It's really a foolproof brewing device and I get fantastic results on it every time. I prefer it to the aeropress as the coffee tends to be cleaner and with a heavier body. My recipe is 18 g coffee (slightly finer than drip), 300 ml of 90 deg C water and steep for 2 min 50s. Having Square Mile's Kenya Tegu AA these days.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
My coffee guy told me I shouldn't use their espresso roast in an aeropress and he wouldn't elaborate on why. Any idea where he got that notion from? I like to use the aeropress to make espresso-like shots for my not-quite-a-cappuccino every morning. I figured the espresso beans would be a way to get a bit closer to what I was trying to achieve.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Bobx66 posted:

My coffee guy told me I shouldn't use their espresso roast in an aeropress and he wouldn't elaborate on why. Any idea where he got that notion from? I like to use the aeropress to make espresso-like shots for my not-quite-a-cappuccino every morning. I figured the espresso beans would be a way to get a bit closer to what I was trying to achieve.

"Espresso roast" is misnomer. It is true that that many roasters will go a little darker to tone down bright or acidic notes (for instance) when roasting for espresso, because they would be undesirably amplified by the high-pressure extraction. Espresso blends in general, or SOs roasted this way may taste flat when not brewed as espresso. Kind of dumb he wouldn't explain this to you.

The Aeropress doesn't make espresso or anything close to it.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Bob_McBob posted:

The Aeropress doesn't make espresso or anything close to it.

No poo poo Sherlock. Did I not use enough qualifiers to stop your spergmeter from going off?

Jackass.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Bobx66 posted:

No poo poo Sherlock. Did I not use enough qualifiers to stop your spergmeter from going off?

Jackass.

:stare:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Everyone in this thread is a jackass.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

Bobx66 posted:

Jackass.

Looks like someone hasn't had their cup yet

But yeah, aeropress doesn't (and can't) make espresso, mostly a pressure issue, they've been trying to correct the box advertising for years. good way to make brewed coffee, but not espresso.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Bob_McBob posted:

:stare:

If I could empty quote a one-emoticon reply I totally would.

Maybe he had TOO MUCH coffee and is all jittery and angryreplyposting without thinking. Calm down, dude.

<insert decaf joke here>

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

grabulasa posted:

A week from roasting should not have any detrimental effect on the coffee, it tends to stay OK up to a month or so.

I buy coffee from Hasbean all the time, and they tend to roast on the lighter side, hence there is virtually no risk of getting over-roasted beans, El Salvador La Ilusion would be first on my list to try followed by one of the Kenyan beans.

Also, do yourself a favour and get a Clever Coffee Dripper (sweetmarias/hasbean sells them). It's really a foolproof brewing device and I get fantastic results on it every time. I prefer it to the aeropress as the coffee tends to be cleaner and with a heavier body. My recipe is 18 g coffee (slightly finer than drip), 300 ml of 90 deg C water and steep for 2 min 50s. Having Square Mile's Kenya Tegu AA these days.

Wait, what? After reading the OP I was set on the CCD, but couldn't find it here in Europe. I just re-checked and Hasbean doesn't sell it...?

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try them after the holidays. Too late now and I already ordered some Brazilian beans yesterday anyway.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

seravid posted:

Wait, what? After reading the OP I was set on the CCD, but couldn't find it here in Europe. I just re-checked and Hasbean doesn't sell it...?

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try them after the holidays. Too late now and I already ordered some Brazilian beans yesterday anyway.

Brazilian coffee is pretty mellow and smooth, might be more your speed as far as drip coffee goes.

I'm on a business trip right now and I'm really anxious to get home because Christmas gift of a Freshroast SR500 and four lbs of Sweet Maria's green coffee is waiting for me. I'm going to roast a lb of it when I get back so I can bring it with me on the flight back home as a thank you. Really excited to get to roasting.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bobx66 posted:

Jackass.

And you're calling him a sperger?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

nm posted:

And you're calling him a sperger?

Haha, being probated 3 times in a row for being a "jerk". I think we see a trend here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

seravid posted:

I just did some quick searching, and while Hasbean doesn't seem to sell them, it looked like most people in the few UK coffee forums I could find were picking them up off CoffeeHit (or a few other sites that don't even ship to the entirety of the UK).

It looks like they should ship to wherever, so I hope that helps. Alternatively, there's Amazon as well, and while you're giving money to the same company, it looks like it may save you some on shipping.