Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

an oddly awful oud posted:

That's a ridiculously good price for an E46 with that mileage and not typical at all, unless it was in an accident or otherwise beat to poo poo. Normally they hover around $25k with 40-60k miles.

Maybe M3 prices are super low here but that was just sort of the average price, I saw ones selling lower. And the one my friend got was a vert with the solenoid controlled single clutch transmission which seems pretty trick (though id go for the clutch pedal I think).
EDIT: Though it was older (2002) but it did come with the CSL wheels.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Wow an e46 paddle shift convertible. That is pretty much the worst car I could dream up.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

revmoo posted:

Wow an e46 paddle shift convertible. That is pretty much the worst car I could dream up.
Do you also dream of doing your taxes and other boring things, because you can do much much worse.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

revmoo posted:

I dont know, the shifts are pretty fast, and the way it shifts is pretty fun. Seems to really kick you in the back when your running it hard. Its no double clutch but its certainly not a torque converter. The convertible takes a lot of time off the 0-60 but still feels fast to me. Though I can feel a little scuttle shake. Really I think its pretty fun plus with the roof in the mountains its a nice experience.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So I am stupid and lost my only set of keys to my 1987 325is. I have an idea of where they may be which I will call tomorrow to check. But if I cannot find them, where should I go to get a new key made? I heard about going to the dealer but I have a feeling it may cost an arm and a leg. Anyone know of a place to have this done, or who would be cheaper? Any idea for basic cost?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
getting a key made by the dealer for an e30 is like $50, bring your VIN and your registration.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
So has anyone drove the 335d as a daily driver or know someone who does? I might want to get one and would like to test drive it with a clear head.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I got a new key for my E36 and it was $30. Also it started rusting immediately.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Does anyone know of a place to get this part from a set of Eagle Eyes LED tail lights? I've determined it's the culprit for why one of my brake lights randomly goes out (with no warning on the dash), but I don't have any idea how to test it or where to get a replacement.

It seems to just be some capacitors and I assume probably resistors in a box, but the assholes filled it with the same sort of epoxy from glop top computer chips so I can't take it apart and test/replace the internals.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wolrah posted:

but the assholes filled it with the same sort of epoxy from glop top computer chips so I can't take it apart and test/replace the internals.

Can't help with where to find one, but those assholes filled it with epoxy to make it weatherproof. Those bastards! (This is pretty standard practice, it's not to screw you. It's to offer an inexpensive way to water/weatherproof electronics rather than going with an expensive and likely bulky enclosure)

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
The gloop also cushions solder joints from vibrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'll give you guys that, I'm just used to only encountering glop top crap on cheap electronics as a half-rear end anti-reverse-engineering technique and nothing else, so when I see it on random Chinese parts I assume that first.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
That's the PWM/check controller for the LEDs. I doubt you will be able to find a similar one anywhere but from the original manufacturer. It should be pretty cheap, at least.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006
How are the E46's handling rust? I just recently moved to Germany and my car followed me here. The German's love throwing salt down on the road in the winter. This is the first time I've driven somewhere that throws salt down. I figure I'll wash the undercarriage of the car once a week but I'm not sure if thats enough. Also the accessory drive belt and A/C drive belt pulley bearing feel like they are done for. Can I just replace the plastic pulley and bearing or do I have to replace the entire assembly?

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

timma85 posted:

How are the E46's handling rust? I just recently moved to Germany and my car followed me here. The German's love throwing salt down on the road in the winter. This is the first time I've driven somewhere that throws salt down. I figure I'll wash the undercarriage of the car once a week but I'm not sure if thats enough. Also the accessory drive belt and A/C drive belt pulley bearing feel like they are done for. Can I just replace the plastic pulley and bearing or do I have to replace the entire assembly?

I don't necessarily drive mine in the winter if I don't have to and most of its life was in Florida but the three years my '02 has been in Illinois it has been rust free. If I drive after a heavy salting here in Chicago I go to a spray wash and give her a rinse off underneath to stop any excessive rusting.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you get a lot of salt chunks, it'll damage the paint just like rocks and then rust ahoy. My E46 has about a dozen little rust spots I've been slowly working on grinding and hitting with the touch-up paint for now. Hooray for Ohio (and my tendency to pass the plow trucks).

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
I found a nice e92(?) 2006 328ci with 52k miles and all the options I want. The owner drove it across the country on his way to SoCal and there are 15-20 small chips in the paint on the hood. I'm taking it to a dealership to get a full inspection but everything else appears to be in great condition.

How concerned should I be about the hood?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Noggin Monkey posted:

I found a nice e92(?) 2006 328ci with 52k miles and all the options I want. The owner drove it across the country on his way to SoCal and there are 15-20 small chips in the paint on the hood. I'm taking it to a dealership to get a full inspection but everything else appears to be in great condition.

How concerned should I be about the hood?

Well, it depends where you are going to use it. It doesn't snow a lot in Socal, so I wouldn't be too concerned. It could turn into an issue in Minnesota if you didn't address it with proper preventative maintenance.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

voltron posted:

Well, it depends where you are going to use it. It doesn't snow a lot in Socal, so I wouldn't be too concerned. It could turn into an issue in Minnesota if you didn't address it with proper preventative maintenance.
the car won't range far out of SoCal and I can't imagine that I would take it up to Big Bear or Mammoth.

Are there a lot of options beyond repainting?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

EVIR Gibson posted:

So has anyone drove the 335d as a daily driver or know someone who does? I might want to get one and would like to test drive it with a clear head.

I wonder if this would help you out, a long term review by Motor Trend?
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/1012_2009_bmw_335d_verdict/viewall.html

Hey my BMW friends, I am at my parents on holiday and their BMW has something hanging off the bottom, just looks like some plastic trim. It is a 2006 xiT, E90 (E91 for Touring?). Can anybody identify it for me? I appreciate your help.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Well, it's mine :D Picking it up this Wednesday.

doogle
May 24, 2003

CharlesM posted:

I wonder if this would help you out, a long term review by Motor Trend?
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/1012_2009_bmw_335d_verdict/viewall.html

Hey my BMW friends, I am at my parents on holiday and their BMW has something hanging off the bottom, just looks like some plastic trim. It is a 2006 xiT, E90 (E91 for Touring?). Can anybody identify it for me? I appreciate your help.

It is hard to tell from the picture, but is it the jack point? (I know it is a e92, but they should be similar)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405924&highlight=

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

doogle posted:

It is hard to tell from the picture, but is it the jack point? (I know it is a e92, but they should be similar)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405924&highlight=

3 jacks to get an e92 on 4 stands? :psyduck:

Also, nice 330. Is it as immaculate as it looks in the pictures?

doogle
May 24, 2003

Crustashio posted:

3 jacks to get an e92 on 4 stands? :psyduck:

Also, nice 330. Is it as immaculate as it looks in the pictures?

Before I had my harbor freight "race" jack, I had to use 2 cheapo autozone jacks to get my 135 up on jackstands due to the height of the car. The dude in that bimmerboost post was just being stupid and didn't want to damage his plastic replaceable jack points.

SockFight
Dec 13, 2011

FOGLESONG SAYS STOP WHINING AND DO YOUR "OPERATIONAL" (DELIVERY TRUCK DRIVER) JOB BITCH

FOGLESONG'D
Have a e46 '05 325i apparently I need to get the engine bushings replaced soon. Anyone have experience with getting this done? Is this deff worth getting done at the dealership, they quoted me around 6 hundo, seems pricey. Any feedback appreciated!

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Awesome. So I just got my new Powerflex upper control arm bushings for the e34. On the tiny instruction flap it says to use the applied lubricant, but it doesn't really say where. Everywhere? Like between the bushing and the arm, the bushing and the metal dowel that goes inside, and between the bushing and the big washers?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Lowclock posted:

Awesome. So I just got my new Powerflex upper control arm bushings for the e34. On the tiny instruction flap it says to use the applied lubricant, but it doesn't really say where. Everywhere? Like between the bushing and the arm, the bushing and the metal dowel that goes inside, and between the bushing and the big washers?

Different car same bushings, I put the copper lube over the bushings then pressed them into the mount, and rubbed a little over the insides to make the stainless insert press in easier.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Geez, why doesn't Advance Auto advertise their hours for tomorrow anywhere? I need to buy Christmas presents for myself!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
When I went to pick up a replacement trunk lid grip, my dad started eyeing the E90s. Is it safe to buy a 335 yet (i.e. are the N55s having HPFP problems) or should I point him at 328s?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

wolrah posted:

When I went to pick up a replacement trunk lid grip, my dad started eyeing the E90s. Is it safe to buy a 335 yet (i.e. are the N55s having HPFP problems) or should I point him at 328s?
Didn't they put some stupid long warranty on the affected ones anyways?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lowclock posted:

Didn't they put some stupid long warranty on the affected ones anyways?

I saw they did on the N54s, but I've seen some stuff about the N55s possibly also having the problem and those do not seem to have the 10 year warranty.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The n54s will have other problems down the road...carbon fouling being a big one.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.

BraveUlysses posted:

The n54s will have other problems down the road...carbon fouling being a big one.
I wouldn't buy one with the intention of keeping it long-term, necessarily, but the N54/N55 are awesome engines when they're young and spry.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
So ~my ///m5~ (2002 e39) has Lubro Moly 10W-60 in it, and it's been leaking a slight bit around the drain plug. It's about a quart or so low.

I'd like to top it off, but all I have here is Castrol EDGE 10w40. Think it'll matter if I use this one quart for a couple of months? Or should I just return it and wait for some more 10w60 to show up in the mail?

(I've read that the post-00 S62 can handle Castrol 5w-30 just fine, so I'll be returning to that next oil change)

voltron
Nov 26, 2000

Nait Sirhc posted:

So ~my ///m5~ (2002 e39) has Lubro Moly 10W-60 in it, and it's been leaking a slight bit around the drain plug. It's about a quart or so low.

I'd like to top it off, but all I have here is Castrol EDGE 10w40. Think it'll matter if I use this one quart for a couple of months? Or should I just return it and wait for some more 10w60 to show up in the mail?

(I've read that the post-00 S62 can handle Castrol 5w-30 just fine, so I'll be returning to that next oil change)
mixing is fine, though I'm surprise you're burning with relatively thick oil. I use 15-50 to limit burn during the summer on my e36 m3 and 5-30 in the winter.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

voltron posted:

mixing is fine, though I'm surprise you're burning with relatively thick oil. I use 15-50 to limit burn during the summer on my e36 m3 and 5-30 in the winter.
Doesn't sound like it's burning, he said it was leaking around the drain plug, so it's probably just the drain plug gasket that needs to get replaced. Moot point anyway, but just wanted to re-validate that mixing oil should be fine.

Funny how a $0.30 part causes oil to leak, and in order to replace it, $50+ worth of oil needs to get replaced.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Bank posted:

Funny how a $0.30 part causes oil to leak, and in order to replace it, $50+ worth of oil needs to get replaced.

Why would you buy new oil?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If it's not leaking very badly, why not just top it off and hold out until the next oil change when you already have to drain it all out anyway?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

televiper posted:

Why would you buy new oil?
That's only if he wanted to replace the gasket straight away. I wouldn't recommend it if it's a slow leak -- if that gasket is causing anything more than a slow leak there's a bigger problem with the plug itself or the pan anyway, so the point is moot. Just tighten it up, top it off and you're good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I got rid of my 325i to get a more family friendly car...:smith: But I kept the roof rails and roof box. I'm looking to sell them, but before I throw them on Craigslist I wanted to see if any goons were interested. they fit E90 style 3-series, mine was a 2006 but they will fit a wide range of years. My zip code is 07432, so if you are nearby and want it, I'm thinking $375 for the whole deal (both rails and roof box). They go retail for at least $1200.