Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Rockiavelli posted:

Whenever I would hit them with something that would have killed them, they would gain more health/red health and then not die. Happened with everything I could throw at them - regular attacks, super attacks, assists - before, during, and after their X-Factor. Managed to have more health when time ran out, but it was super annoying never being able to kill the last member, hitting them enough that they had a full bar of red health, and having it regenerate completely during X-Factor.

Sounds like they had the Nick Fury card that heals you when you're below 5%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSKAObar
Sep 27, 2003
Ask me about our everyday low prices!

GiZMO13SOLiD posted:

Anyone know if footage from SoCal Regionals will be uploaded to youtube or something? The Yipes/Tasty commentary was golden during the finals!

It's all up on twitch http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/videos

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Rockiavelli posted:

Speaking of weird combinations, I ran into a CPU team that was, as far as I could tell, literally unkillable. I know they were using a parry card, but I didn't copy them down before the match and there's no way to tell afterwards. Whenever I would hit them with something that would have killed them, they would gain more health/red health and then not die. Happened with everything I could throw at them - regular attacks, super attacks, assists - before, during, and after their X-Factor. Managed to have more health when time ran out, but it was super annoying never being able to kill the last member, hitting them enough that they had a full bar of red health, and having it regenerate completely during X-Factor.

What card does that, anyway? I've seen that a whole bunch of times when I've played too. Is it seriously just a parry card with health on parry + CPU reaction bullshit over and over again? It gets bad enough where you eventually just have to get them to a sliver of health and then time them out.

e: So then how do you beat that if it's the Nick Fury card, do you just have to do a hit on them that takes more than their last 5%?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Rokstar posted:

e: So then how do you beat that if it's the Nick Fury card, do you just have to do a hit on them that takes more than their last 5%?

That or time them out.

Rockiavelli
Jan 22, 2005

Because we're morons, you and I

AXE COP posted:

Sounds like they had the Nick Fury card that heals you when you're below 5%.

It wasn't just a constant heal though, I'd hit them with a full DHC chain and every time they hit 0, they'd bounce back up. The healing also always came in chunks, never a stream (which I think is what the Nick Fury card gives).

Edit: Maybe it just gives a chunk, but I managed raw supers and hits that should have easily pushed them below 0, but never managed it. Maybe a combination of the two.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Official Changelog posted:

There was one frame where you could not block after activating X-Factor, but that has been fixed so you can block immediately now.

What a dumb thing to remove.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Rockiavelli posted:

It wasn't just a constant heal though, I'd hit them with a full DHC chain and every time they hit 0, they'd bounce back up. The healing also always came in chunks, never a stream (which I think is what the Nick Fury card gives).

Edit: Maybe it just gives a chunk, but I managed raw supers and hits that should have easily pushed them below 0, but never managed it. Maybe a combination of the two.

I ran into that, too in one of the secret areas. It was a Haggar at the end for me, and just like you described, combo'd him down to 0 (and beyond) when he'd suddenly get a yellow chunk of bar back. Had to time him out also. Annoying as hell. This was much earlier, before work, now I can't remember the cards they had. Want to say one was Fury.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RageBeef posted:

So I need some help with my team. So far I've been running Ghost Rider(Heartles Spire)/Morrigan(Dark Harmonizer)/Doom(Missiles) and I've been having a decent amount of success with this team but lately it's become more of a struggle as Ghost Rider becomes more and more of a liability because he keeps getting blown up by characters that can rush him down or zone him out before he can get his own offense set up (which is like 90% of the time). I'm trying to find another character to replace him and has better synergy with my other two characters. Right now I'm giving Skrull another shot and dabbling a bit into Spencer but I'm open to any suggestions anyone might have.

Try out Dorm. He's got the tools to deal with either rushdown or keepaway and he can runaway himself like GR can, all his hypers are good so Morrigan's meter gains will go to good use and he works well with Hidden Missiles.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Can I trade these cards away or something? I have like 4 of the advancing guard one, and I hate them.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
After many weeks of trying, I finally got down Doom's Buktooth/corner combos. I still got blown up by pubbies though :argh:

If I can ever figure out Ammy's combos I'm thinking a Dorm/Ammy/Doom team. Or I might use Haggar instead of Ammy because even though he's one of the worst characters in the game I got a soft spot for him.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The card that lets you drive cancel special moves is fun. You can do an air series with Sentinel and then call drones and cancel into rocket punch OTG and you'll get a self-relaunch off the drones.

Honestly the H&H cards open the door to all sorts of crazy stuff, I'm really hoping someone does a combo video showing off some of the especially insane things because I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

blue font
Feb 28, 2011

Rockiavelli posted:

I've seen this card, but have managed to burn down characters using it somehow. I'm guessing HC meter is substituted for health or something, though I don't have the card or know which one it is myself.

The blade card (which gives life leech) works amazingly well with Nova, I'm finding. I was nigh unstoppable with it last night, and made it pretty high on the leaderboards. You don't have to worry about the red health loss on his gravimetric moves at all. loving amazing.

Also had the fortune of picking up a Fantastic Four card last night, and have been thinking of all the evil poo poo you could do when you're able to call assists while being hit. Especially if it's stacked with the card that gives all your assists super armor. I think vajra's about to get a lot more annoying :munch:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
They might have had Spider-Ham or two. It heals you if you get hit with a 30+ hit combo, so taking them down with a full combo into DHC would keep popping them back up. I've run into it a couple times and had to hold myself back to get rid of that last 10% or so.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Some of the terminology on these cards is a bit confusing for me. The 2 effects I'm unsure about are "The length of instant attacks will be increased." and "All characters will be able to perform a 6-chain combo." Could anyone explain those for me?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Seizure Robot posted:

Some of the terminology on these cards is a bit confusing for me. The 2 effects I'm unsure about are "The length of instant attacks will be increased." and "All characters will be able to perform a 6-chain combo." Could anyone explain those for me?

The first one apparently means that traps like Trish's Peekaboo and Rocket Raccoon's, uh, traps, will stay out for a longer duration. The second one means that all characters will be able to do the full s.L c.L s.M c.M s.H c.H S combo, I think.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Heroes and Heralds. The Bonus stages final round before seizing. That's some bullshit AI right there.

Any tips? Any card/team combo that cheeses them pretty well? I've played a bit of H&H now and the only losses I've gotten are at the final matches in those hit list stages.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You can pause and quit a match at any time. Just keep playing and quitting until you get a win.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

For some reason that AI turns absolutely retarded against Doom's Foot Dive.

I've been running a perma x-factor deck and my first couple tries I was getting extremely frustrated not because it was hitting me a lot but because it was blocking/teching correctly 99% of the time. Teleport/Berserker Slash + Assist style mixups don't do poo poo, hitting low then going for an instant overhead doesn't do poo poo. I was resorting to basically chipping them out with assists and safe specials.

But for some reason it blocks maybe 1 out of 10 Foot Dives and I feel like even that number might be generous.

If you're getting blown up by its offense I'm not sure what to tell you, but Doom on point with x-factor and some attack boost makes those fights really easy and fast for me.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I've been having too much fun using Mephisto, Multiple man and Princess, going with the Hawkeye/Hawkeye/Hawkeye threesome. Starting out with 4/5 bars and Hyper recovery along with a 2x HC damage boost allows for many the net-arrow-bnb-lvl 3 wipeout. Having Gimlet available on hawkeyes 2 and three with x-factor means the opponent can not call assists or in any way allow themselves to be unsafe, as 2 gimlets will easily kill most assists and any Ammy/Akuma/Vergil/Strider mains. It feels lame at times but lame is frequently fun in online fighters.

Highwire
May 15, 2003

You see, I have this condition...

TGG posted:

I've been having too much fun using Mephisto, Multiple man and Princess, going with the Hawkeye/Hawkeye/Hawkeye threesome. Starting out with 4/5 bars and Hyper recovery along with a 2x HC damage boost allows for many the net-arrow-bnb-lvl 3 wipeout. Having Gimlet available on hawkeyes 2 and three with x-factor means the opponent can not call assists or in any way allow themselves to be unsafe, as 2 gimlets will easily kill most assists and any Ammy/Akuma/Vergil/Strider mains. It feels lame at times but lame is frequently fun in online fighters.

This is very close to what I have been doing which is playing super-lame with my Ryu/Hawkeye/Doom team with Mephisto/Rogue/Watcher. Basically, I run away, spam Hidden Missiles, wait for missiles to get a hit or an assist to come out and them Beam DHC Gimlet and go back to being lame again.

Its pretty fun (not for my opponents though I guess).

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The Rokstar posted:

Hooooooooooly crap the AI on the later stages is annoying. Gotta love that fake difficulty.

H&H is a brilliant plan by Capcom to get everyone to rage out at the bullshit AI, not just casuals.

ZWZ
May 6, 2007

Homerun
Don't think this has been posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=28qAtybtQjE

Firebrand's "Touch of death" loop.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Seizure Robot posted:

For some reason that AI turns absolutely retarded against Doom's Foot Dive.

Not sure if it works in H&H, but I was able to steamroll the Very Hard AI in arcade mode with Ghost Rider and Dr. Strange Eye of Agamotto assist.

When the Eye is deployed the CPU can't help but slowly walk towards GR. When they do that I make them eat chain. ALL of the chain.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Groghammer posted:

If I can ever figure out Ammy's combos I'm thinking a Dorm/Ammy/Doom team. Or I might use Haggar instead of Ammy because even though he's one of the worst characters in the game I got a soft spot for him.

This is my current team though I'm running Ammy/Dorm/Doom. Ammy combos are easy, just mash f+h and then do a launcher sometimes or something.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I played H&H for the first time last night. I played offline to farm the cards and the AI is piss easy to beat even at the hardest difficulty in the bonus stages unless they get a good deck. I 100%'d all the bonus stages with the default cards. The few times I got in trouble I popped xfactor on Sentinel and did s.H c.H Hyper Sentinel Force until I won. The AI won't super jump over Hyper Sentinel Force and punish you, it just eats the chip. It will even call assists into Hyper Sentinel Force after you've been spamming it.

The only difficulty I had was when the AI would decide to block everything and get a deck that gave it extra health. I found that even when blocking everything the AI would do horribly unsafe assist calls, allowing me to kill both assist characters then chip out the point character.

I got about 35% of the cards in an hour or two and never lost a match. The only upside to H&H farming is that it lets me practice timing my incoming mixups and converting off of random drones hits with Wolverine.

I noticed that I was getting better cards than usual when I perfected the AI.

What would be the lamest possible deck for online play? I think some combination of auto-block, permanent x-factor so I get red health back and can't be chipped, damage reflect, parry and one of the health gain cards would be super frustrating for other people to play against. I want to be unkillable and cause people to rage quit.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Seizure Robot posted:

I've been running a perma x-factor deck...

I was asking about this on the last page; what card(s) give you permanent X-factor? It is absolutely maddening to fight against.

Highwire
May 15, 2003

You see, I have this condition...

Phenotype posted:

I was asking about this on the last page; what card(s) give you permanent X-factor? It is absolutely maddening to fight against.

Fin Fang Foom (Marvel, S-Class)
Main: When this card is equipped, you may activate X Factor multiple times at the cost of 1 HC bar per activation. You may not use Hyper Combos.
Secondary: When your HC Meter reaches 3 or higher, X Factor will activate and remain active until your HC Meter drops below 3. You may not use Hyper Combos.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Phenotype posted:

Fin Fang Foom + Mephisto, both in secondary does it for me.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Here's another one that I don't think has been explored at all: With the parrying cards, what's up with the red flashes? Parrying while in hitstun? Desk put up a video of him being ridiculous with the parry mechanic, but if you take a look at 1:29, he shows himself getting hit by Rocket's gun super, parrying while in hitstun, and somehow coming out of hitstun halfway through the super. WTF? I already hate parrying because of how the red flashes can gently caress up my combo timing, but apparently you can also break a combo directly?

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Seizure Robot posted:

If you're getting blown up by its offense I'm not sure what to tell you, but Doom on point with x-factor and some attack boost makes those fights really easy and fast for me.
Yea this is what I did as well, raw footdive ftw.

Only I didn't have Fin Fang Foom for X factor so I used Silver Surfer, Servbot, and Cyclops and added Frank West and Sentinel as assists. If I am really farming I just stand in the corner firing plasma beams and calling drones (with servbot speeding up assist calls it's almost a drones for every H plasma beam) and if they super-jump the drones I call shopping cart and they're back on the other side of the screen again. When your wrist gets tired of hadouken motions go footdive them.

And regarding the parrying, there are spots in Desk's video where he parries midcombo but the combo still continues, right? I think maybe the parrying midcombo is only there to gently caress up timing but you can combo through it if you're godlike?

\/\/ - I dunno, I was running a deck that had the card that makes you auto-block when you're under 2 meters (don't remember which) and it never seemed to do anything. Do you have to activate it or something?

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 21, 2011

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Is anyone running Servbot (primary for auto-block), Fin Fang Foom (X factor always on when you have 3+ bars), Mephisto (start with 3 meters)?

If autoblock works well I feel like you could start a match and pretty much put down your controller. The only way for anyone to hurt you is a throw.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Ive been running that lin/lilith/rouge unlimited hyper meter deck. I found that by spaming random bionic and frame trapping them with late DHCs when they block works pretty well.

A side note, I fought a nemisis/ghost rider/dante team last night that ran some regen health card and two increase vitality cards. All the guy did was jump back and spam S. The match ended in a time out, it was the most madding thing.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Phenotype posted:

Thanks for the quick replies!

Here's another one that I don't think has been explored at all: With the parrying cards, what's up with the red flashes? Parrying while in hitstun? Desk put up a video of him being ridiculous with the parry mechanic, but if you take a look at 1:29, he shows himself getting hit by Rocket's gun super, parrying while in hitstun, and somehow coming out of hitstun halfway through the super. WTF? I already hate parrying because of how the red flashes can gently caress up my combo timing, but apparently you can also break a combo directly?
Yup. Ain't it great? :allears:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Someone in this thread will get a kick out of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syS-aByqKKE&feature=player_embedded!

Skip to 35 minutes to see rare footage of Arthur getting in

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yo if anyone's looking for a really broke card deck - FFF/Mephisto/Mandarin. You get infinite x-factor and your opponent is forced to use theirs right away :hehe:

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Someone in this thread will get a kick out of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syS-aByqKKE&feature=player_embedded!

Skip to 35 minutes to see rare footage of Arthur getting in

Arthur rushdown. Two words you don't hear often in UMvC3. That poo poo was awesome.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
"It's all right, he's still got Arthur. I can't believe I'm saying this."

Screw Dormammu, I'm going back to my knight in shining underpants.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Yeah, I like how they gave Arthur the ability to make a comeback. It was a pleasant surprise reading about his improved j.S in the guide.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
So why hasn't Capcom hired Desk by now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Arthur is still just on the level of "good if you have xfactor and they don't," which is true of basically everyone in the game.

• Locked thread