Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

Can anyone recommend a good D&B podcast? I loved the Lifted Music Podcast however they haven't recorded a new episode in over a year. Something that leans towards the darker, heavier side of things (i.e. Noisia, BSE, Evol Intent, Dom & Roland, anything from Shogun or Neosignal, etc.)

The Drum & Bass Arena podcast (https://www.breakbeat.co.uk), though if you don't use iTunes for your podcast downloads, the series stops at 197 for some reason. iTunes apparently kept it going, and they should be on 205 now.

Barcode Recordings has a good podcast called "The Barcode Filthcast", 35 episodes in. Skip the first 3, though...the DJ's never shut the gently caress up. Also, I think it's episode 21...skip that one too, it's really boring.

In other news...you guys, listen to the music in this gameplay video of Shock Troopers on Neo Geo

Riot.EXE fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Phace & Misanthrop - What's Wrong?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

Phace & Misanthrop - What's Wrong?

:tviv:

Wasn't anticipating that drop to come in so soon and it knocked me on the floor. Holy poo poo, this is good.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Holy poo poo these songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibbdmx86M-0 Grafix - Devotion
Intro is literally perfect, perfect layout, perfect mixing and mastering, perfect samples, perfect drop. Everything is loving PERFECT JESUS GRAFIX IS A GOD AMONG MEN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc_obyfk-k8 Skream feat. Sam Frank - Anticipate (Netsky Remix)
Another fat one. Really solid classic Netsky style, dancefloor friendly pop stuff. But still very very catchy with solid chords and synths.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

This thread deserves a bump, so here's my latest mix.

DJ Hollow Point - Cyclone
28 tracks, 55:20

Tali f/ Shimon - Get Out
Xilent - Tenkai
Camo & Krooked - Run Riot
Terravita - Are You Ready For Me
TC - Tap Ho
Laidback Luke vs. Example - Natural Disaster (Andy C Remix)
Hamilton - Brainstorm
Emalkay - The World (Teebee Remix)
Culture Shock - Machine
Friction f/ Mclean - Someone (The Prototypes Remix)
Aquasky & Bex Riley - Cold Crush
DC Breaks - Take That VIP
Sigma - Loving Me (Filthy Edit)
Koncept - Gravitate
Shock One - Relapse (Tantrum Desire Remix)
Ed Sheeran - You Need Me I Dont Need You (Loadstar Remix)
Phace & Misanthrop - Energie
Konflict - Messiah (Spor Remix)
Shimon - The Shadow Knows (Dirtyphonics remix)
High Maintenence - Nowhere
Serial Killaz - Fresh Styles
Camo & Krooked - Get Dirty (Featuring TC)
Dirtyphonics - Quarks
Aquasky f/ Diane Charlemagne - Take Me There (Cutline Mix)
Zeds Dead & The Killabits - Bassmentality
The Prototypes f/ Laura Vane - Taking Me Over (The Others Remix)
Tim Ismag - Mr.Big
Aquasky - Raise The Devil

enjoy!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm at work so I can't listen just yet, but I see a lot of names that I absolutely love on that list, so I assume that the mix is incredible.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
We should do one last Friday 5 for the last Friday of December. The theme? Our top 5 releases of 2011.

Xenu
Apr 28, 2004

Can anyone recommend me some sweet late '90's techstep such as this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoCfXtwJh3c&feature=channel_video_title

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Hallucinator - Inferno
These guys own

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Xenu posted:

Snatch up as much Usual Suspect as possible, check out the Renegade Hardware label (like the "Armageddon" LP), maybe some of the DJ Reality stuff from that era, a little bit of DJ Red's stuff, and some of the early Universal Project releases. You might also like Konflict (Kemal & Rob Data). Drawing a blank on what else, will post some more suggestions later.

Also re: Friday 5 for the end of the year, I have my top ten of dnb already, will post that whenever we do the Friday thing.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

SUBFRIES posted:

Snatch up as much Usual Suspect as possible, check out the Renegade Hardware label (like the "Armageddon" LP), maybe some of the DJ Reality stuff from that era, a little bit of DJ Red's stuff, and some of the early Universal Project releases. You might also like Konflict (Kemal & Rob Data). Drawing a blank on what else, will post some more suggestions later.

Also re: Friday 5 for the end of the year, I have my top ten of dnb already, will post that whenever we do the Friday thing.

Is your top ten a list of releases from this year?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm gonna have to do a little thinking about what my favorite tracks from this year were, but I'm sure I can get 5 together by the 23rd.

alejandro
Dec 18, 2006

dirty sanchez

Xenu posted:

Well there's this compilation of course. Not specifically related to your track but for late 90's stuff, try these:

Ed Rush & Optical - Wormhole, also the 'Torque' album. Also Optical's 'To Shape The Future' on MetalHeadz is a classic, or 'Quadrant 6'.
Dom & Roland - the 'Industry' album, his singles from around 1996+
Aquasky - Bodyshock
Technical Itch - Diagnostics album, singles from around 1997+
Calyx - something like 'Double Zero' or 'Calibrate'.
Grooverider's 'Prototype Years'
Current Value and Panacea both put out some really uncompromising stuff in the 90s too.

I swear I've linked these guys before in here, but whatever. Personally, I'd say neurofunk is a much more fun genre to look into (it evolved from this) and most of the above artists ventured into it, and matured their sound in the 2000's. You can see this transition as you listen over the Moving Shadow releases from around this time; it'd be wise to at least go into this period some, especially for Dom & Roland and Tech Itch.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Riot.EXE posted:

Is your top ten a list of releases from this year?

Yes. Had to come up with a top five for the podcast I'm a part of, couldn't widdle down my ten. Everyone part of our podcast was asked to contribute to at least one of our three programming focuses (dnb, dubstep, bass music -- I did all three), and then the show boss is going to do a dnb mix of our whole roster's top picks, I got tasked with the dubstep mix, and then one of our other guys is doing the bass set.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

SUBFRIES posted:

Yes. Had to come up with a top five for the podcast I'm a part of, couldn't widdle down my ten. Everyone part of our podcast was asked to contribute to at least one of our three programming focuses (dnb, dubstep, bass music -- I did all three), and then the show boss is going to do a dnb mix of our whole roster's top picks, I got tasked with the dubstep mix, and then one of our other guys is doing the bass set.

Dope poo poo. That's comin' for EXBC, right?

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Riot.EXE posted:

Dope poo poo. That's comin' for EXBC, right?

Yessir.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

SUBFRIES posted:

Yessir.

I have just become a happy man.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

alejandro posted:

Well there's this compilation of course. Not specifically related to your track but for late 90's stuff, try these:

Ed Rush & Optical - Wormhole, also the 'Torque' album. Also Optical's 'To Shape The Future' on MetalHeadz is a classic, or 'Quadrant 6'.
Aquasky - Bodyshock
Current Value and Panacea both put out some really uncompromising stuff in the 90s too.

I swear I've linked these guys before in here, but whatever. Personally, I'd say neurofunk is a much more fun genre to look into (it evolved from this) and most of the above artists ventured into it, and matured their sound in the 2000's. You can see this transition as you listen over the Moving Shadow releases from around this time; it'd be wise to at least go into this period some, especially for Dom & Roland and Tech Itch.

If you decide to check out more recent stuff (i.e. Neurofunk, as suggested) I recently got Phace & Misanthrop's "From Deep Space" from 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Also, take a listen one of my all-time favourite DnB albums - Stakka & Skynet's "Clockwork" :). Dom's release from this year "The Big Bang" is quite nice aswell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBaZKYj5BL0

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 12, 2011

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dj6hZ4j8wM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKkL69_Daxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UAUDbWrVhA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0mke7vSB3Y

Jippa fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Dec 17, 2011

Xenu
Apr 28, 2004

alejandro posted:

Aquasky - Bodyshock

Thanks for this. I already have those Dom & Roland and Ed Rush & Optical Releases, but never listened to Calyx and Aquasky before....sounds pretty awesome. :)

I've tried venturing into neurofunk awhile ago but never really got into it. Always thought the majority of neurofunk sounded too cheesy....perhaps I should give it another try.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

zeldadude posted:

Holy poo poo these songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibbdmx86M-0 Grafix - Devotion
Intro is literally perfect, perfect layout, perfect mixing and mastering, perfect samples, perfect drop. Everything is loving PERFECT JESUS GRAFIX IS A GOD AMONG MEN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc_obyfk-k8 Skream feat. Sam Frank - Anticipate (Netsky Remix)
Another fat one. Really solid classic Netsky style, dancefloor friendly pop stuff. But still very very catchy with solid chords and synths.

These are both awesome, thanks!

alejandro
Dec 18, 2006

dirty sanchez

Jippa posted:

links

Nice track selection!

Xenu posted:

Thanks for this. I already have those Dom & Roland and Ed Rush & Optical Releases, but never listened to Calyx and Aquasky before....sounds pretty awesome. :)

I've tried venturing into neurofunk awhile ago but never really got into it. Always thought the majority of neurofunk sounded too cheesy....perhaps I should give it another try.

Interesting, maybe you've been listening to the wrong neurofunk? While 'Wormhole' is pretty much the archetypal neurofunk album - aside from the Konflict stuff like 'Beckoning' and 'Messiah' - there's plenty of good stuff out there. If you've got the Ed Rush/Optical and Dom & Roland discographies, I won't bother recommending things. Dom always tied a line between neurofunk and a little bit of darkstep, for reference. Now he's just straight up neurofunk, and his new album's really good.

Aquasky stopped making drum n bass around '01/'02, and ventured into breaks (which you should check out if you're into that genre).

As for Calyx, his stuff in the 2000s just gets better. Check out the Catapult EP, the Downpour EP if only for 'Quagmire', and especially the Wasteground EP. But what you should really do is check out his two albums - 'No Turning Back' (eg. Killa (Dom & Roland Remix) and definitely 'Anatomy' with Teebee (my choice cut would be 'Dual Processed'). Oh, and have a look at this Moving Shadow mix.

Which brings us to Noisia, who were finding their neurofunk feet in the 2000's. You know, singles like 'The Tide' / 'Concussion', 'Facade', the Block Control EP or the Monster EP. And to go back to Jippa's links, their excellent remix of Konflict's 'Messiah'. Aside from some of their newer tracks, you can't really go wrong with 'em - although it's not all dnb.

And from them, I'd say look into Phace (the 'Psycho' album, their new album with Misanthrop), Misanthrop too, and Spor (pretty much everything). This isn't comprehensive, just giving you some recommendations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Might as well re post this if you are after tech step.

Ed Rush & Optical - Essential Mix (bbc radio 1) - 7th Feb 1999

http://soundcloud.com/djmixes/ed-rush-optical-studio-session-essential-mix-02-07-1999/download

Ryme Tyme & Optical - Headhunters (dub plate)
Bad Company - “The Nine” (BC Recordings)
Ram Trilogy - “Terminal 1″ (Ram)
Jonny L - “The Bells” (Piranha)
Ram Trilogy - “Mind Overload” (Ram)
DJ Trace - “Sonar” (Prototype)
DJ Krust - “Warhead (Ram Trilogy Rmx)” (V)
Matrix - “Airhead” (Virus)
Bad Company - “The Pulse” (Prototype)
Ed Rush & Optical - “Bacteria” (Virus)
DJ Phantasy & DJ Probe - “Orders (DJ Reality Remix)” (Easy)
Ryme Tyme - “Payback Pt. 1″ (DSCI4)
Roni Size - “Watching Windows [DJ Die Remix]” (Talkin Loud)
Matrix - “Asylum” (Virus)
Ed Rush & Optical - “Funktion” (V)
Bad Company - “China Cup” (Prototype)
Ram Trilogy - “Iron Lung” (Ram)
Optical - “Newoptic” (dub plate) unknown ???
Ed Rush & Optical - “Dozer” (Virus)
DJ Die - “Clear Skyz” (Full Cycle)
Fibre Optics - “Sin” (Renegade Hardware)
Usual Suspects - “Killa Beez” (Renegade Hardware)
Ram Trilogy - “Chase Scene” (Ram)
Ed Rush & Optical - “Watermelon” (Virus)
Ram Trilogy - “System Error (Y2K)” (Ram)
Ed Rush & Optical - “Gasmask” (Virus)
Infinite (Optical & Fierce) - “Beachball” (Renegade Hardware)
Ed Rush, Optical & Fierce - “Alien Girl” (Prototype)
Optical - “Slip Thru” (Virus)
Ed Rush & Optical - “Sick Note” (Virus)

Random mix from my old hard drive.

kemal & rob data (konflict): re-animation
digital & spirit: crash
total science: frequency 2
infinite (optical + fierce): beachball
vector burn: bury me standing
bulletproof: nephilim (kemal & rob data rmx)
cause 4 concern: nightgasp
lion of judah: wardance
basement jaxx: fly life (roni size rmx)
future bound: poison chalice
kemal & rob data (konflict): konspiracy
kraken: side effects
kemal: system bleed
kemal & rob data (konflict): encrypter
cause 4 concern: symptom
digital: hard ears (who can't hear must feel)
perfect combination: technical switch

Jippa fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 3, 2016

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
Well I can sadly now say I not only know Noisia remixed Messiah, but I've also heard it. I think it's one of those tunes that's best left untouched.

Actually speaking of the whole Techstep/Neurofunk thing I always liked Simon Reynolds' articles from his time in the Jungle. Even if the articles covering Techstep and Neurofunk seem to be approaching living obituary levels at times, at least regarding the crowd at AWOL.

Hardcore Rave (1992)
Ambient Jungle (1994)
The State Of Drum 'n' Bass (1995)
Hardstep, Jump-Up, Techstep (1996)
Neurofunk Drum 'n' Bass Versus Speed Garage (1997)

Fun for those who actually enjoy looking at the past as well as the present.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

So the line-up for Origin NYE 2011/2012 has been out for a while now and looks pretty good:

I'd love to see Noisia, Danny Byrd and Teebee & Calyx. Any Perth goons going to be attending?

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

cheese-cube posted:

So the line-up for Origin NYE 2011/2012 has been out for a while now and looks pretty good:

I'd love to see Noisia, Danny Byrd and Teebee & Calyx. Any Perth goons going to be attending?

This is a proper lineup. No surprise it's a non-US show though. :(

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-v8yquM7o8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F3cN8pA48o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBaHUHS5Y7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oHBREK4NO0

Jippa fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 25, 2011

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

cheese-cube posted:

This has all the right things to make an awesome show, but they throw some of the biggest names in DNB right next to the some of the biggest names in Brostep and it is ridiculous. I am pretty sure my ears would be bleeding after a Borgore set. Hopefully those guys don't ruin the night for you lucky ones that get to go!

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007
Friday Five Resurrection: Best 2011 Released Tracks!

(NOTE: My list ain't ranked.)

5. "Tap Ho" - TC. Every time I heard this on the Drum & Bass Arena podcast, I would get hyped up. Every drat time. It just hits the right spot, and it was such a pleasure to hear this dropped in a proper dance floor setting.

4. "War Machine" - Reso. Honestly, I think Reso is one of the best producers out right now. Everything he does is golden and this track is such a heavy hitter, it's not even funny.

3. "Detonate" - Original Sin. Dude really stepped his game up with the "Move EP". Honestly, it was either this, or "Phantasm" off of the earlier "You Love It EP"...but "Detonate" just knocked it out of the park for me.

2. "Levels" - Crystal Clear feat. Stapleton. This makes the list because this track is just FUN! Also, is it just me, or do you get a "Don't Mug Yourself" vibe off of this one? Either way...I love hearin' this track right here.

1. "Battle" - Evol Intent vs. Gein. Because this team-up just needed to happen. Real talk...I'm so glad to know that Evol Intent is still in the game.

BONUS LIST! Best 2011 Remixes!

(NOTE: This list ain't ranked, either!)

5. "Ishimura (Evol Intent Remix)" - Reso. Good loving god, y'all! Evol Intent put such a sinister spin on this track, that originally starts spooky enough (it samples the game, Dead Space, for crissakes), but then gets this groove goin'. It wasn't bad at all, but I think this is closer to the vibe that game intended to give off...plus, this is just a banger.

4. "Louder (Drumsound & Bassline Smith Remix) - Fresh feat. Sian Evans. Summer anthem...straight up. If there was ever a release this year where rolling the windows down and turning the music up was MANDATORY, this is the one.

3. "Era of Diversion (Gein & Black6 Remix)" - Evol Intent. How do you make an already Hype track even more Hype? This is how...right here.

2. "Break 4 Love (Blame Remix)" - Raze. Apparently the original dates back to the late 80's. Had no idea...but I know that this one is also a summertime banger! Really feelin' the gently caress out of this one.

1. "I <3 U So (Skream's Made Zdar Feel Like He Was 20 Again Remix)" - Cassius. I just really liked the somewhat old school feel of this one.

In other news...

Definitely going to this.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Riot.EXE posted:

2. "Break 4 Love (Blame Remix)" - Raze. Apparently the original dates back to the late 80's. Had no idea...but I know that this one is also a summertime banger! Really feelin' the gently caress out of this one.

Wow I didn't know this even existed. And it's on Champion? Bwah? A revived House label who seemed to be digital only now putting out classic a House tune which they're famed for and originally licensed back in the day, only for it to really be a D&B mix. Wow. That's what I get for not paying attention to D&B releases much.

Really check the original as well(well in this case the version on the flip). Stone cold classic.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I'd not heard of that Blame remix either yet I magically knew exactly what it'd sound like, funny that.

I might get around to doing a Friday Five review of the year thingy a bit later - have to refresh myself on what came out earlier this year first. For now here's one I do remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryEt06cQ90

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

I already had my top ten for 2011, so just reposting:

Icicle - "Dreadnaught ft. SP:MC" (Shogun Audio)
Noisia & Phace - "Program" (Vision)
Wilkinson - "Every Time" (Ram)
J Majik & Wickaman - "Old Headz" (Metalheadz)
Need For Mirrors - "Lofar" (Metalheadz)
Enei - "Stonehead" (Critical)
Optiv & BTK - "Backlash" (Virus)
Cyantific & Wilkinson - "Get Into It" (Ram)
Culture Shock - "Protection" (Ram)
Optiv - "Waterboard" (Quarantine)

So a little heavy on the heavily processed mid-range bass and/or dance floor tunes. My g/f isn't in to dance music like I am, but she would get a kick out of me trying to imitate the bass from "Waterboard". I think Wilkinson and Enei were my two breakthrough artists for 2011, and the Optiv & BTK collabs were among my favorite producer link-ups of the year. And I think Shogun, Metalheadz, Ram and Critical all did great jobs furthering their labels, as did Hospital, even though I didn't list any of their releases. I probably should of put Reso's "Voices Of A Distant Star" up there.

And then this top ten was incorporated in to EXBC's top dnb of 2011 mix, done by Deinfamous.

Stream: http://www.expansionbroadcast.com/podcast/387/
Download: [urlhttp://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/www.expansionbroadcast.com/podcast/exbc0387_2011-12-27_best_drum_and_bass_-_mixed_by_deinfamous.mp3](right click, save as)[/url]

Track List:
dBridge – City of Lonely Runaways
Consequence – Lovershell
Synkro & Indigo – Guidance
Cern feat. Phantom – Terminus
Rockwell – 4U
DatA – Compassion
dBridge – Since We’ve Been Apart
Mortem – The Touch (Sabre remix)
Velocity & Key MC – Ladder VIP
Spectrasoul – The Gift
Calibre – Closing Doors
Mr. Joseph – Sad Stories
Marky & Makoto – Aquarius
Taxman & Original Sin – Together
Culture Shock – Protection
Cyantific & Wilkinson – Get Into it
Original Sin- Move
Gridlok – Insecticide
Optiv – Waterboard
Enei – Stonehead
Icicle & SP:MC – Dreadnaught
Strategy & Dub Phizics – Marka
Noisia & Phace – Program
Maztek & Grotesque – Straight to Bad
Optiv & BTK – Backlash
Need For Mirrors – Lofar
Krome & Time – The License
Dj Nut Nut – Special Dedication (Sigma remix)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm surprised Reso's War Machine came out this year. I feel like it's at least a couple years old. Probably because I've listened to it so goddamn much.

Hadn't heard that Evol Intent / Gein mashup, either. Those are two massive producers, and it shows on that track. Absolutely filthy.

HJB posted:

I might get around to doing a Friday Five review of the year thingy a bit later - have to refresh myself on what came out earlier this year first.

I'm the same way. I'm kind of hazy as to what actually came out this year. Not too much that really impressed me, I know that. I've spent the year discovering and listening to great older tracks more than finding new gems. But I can probably think of 5...

SUBFRIES posted:

I think Wilkinson and Enei were my two breakthrough artists for 2011, and the Optiv & BTK collabs were among my favorite producer link-ups of the year.

The few Wilkinson tracks I've heard have loving blown me away, that's for sure.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Riot.EXE posted:

1. "I <3 U So (Skream's Made Zdar Feel Like He Was 20 Again Remix)" - Cassius. I just really liked the somewhat old school feel of this one.

Hate to be that guy, but this isn't a d&b track. It is however a loving amazing tune so everyone should listen to it anyway.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Okay I've sorted out a list, problem is there's more than five so I'm going to do this a bit strangely. Bear with me.

To start off with, here's a few upbeat/uptempo tracks:

London Elektricity – Bells In My Head (feat. Elsa Esmeralda) - I've already posted an LE track, and in all honesty the best track on the album is probably The Plan That Cannot Fail, but I chose this track because it only came with the special edition download version of Yikes, so it might not be as well known to some. It's also fairly reminiscent of Just One Second which isn't a bad thing if you like that sort of dnb.

Brookes Brothers – Souvenir - Quite possibly my (second favourite) track of the year. A lush soundscape, old-school Good Looking vibes with a modern feel. Massively underrated IMO but then my tastes are odd at the best of times.

Anile – Change Of Direction - One of two tracks taken from the New Blood 011 album on Med School. An amen smasher with a dirty breakdown, and for whatever reason always makes me think of the High Contrast remix of Papua New Guinea. Shrug.

Bungle – The Siren (feat. Ayah Marar) - Love this track, love the whole album. Liquid with a bit of an edge.

BCee - So Right (feat. Darrison) - A track in the vein of LK, Barcelona etc. The cheesiest lyrics you'll ever hear but it's a proper feel-good tune.

Then for some reason I found out I like a lot of artists that begin with the letter 'M' so here's five of them:

Marcus Intalex & S.P.Y. – Celestial Navigation - The stand-out track on an excellent album, and besides, we can't have a discussion about dnb from this year without including the ubiquitous S.P.Y. can we?

Metrik - I See You (feat. Kathy Brown) - Just your standard summery uplifting anthem that happened to be released at completely the wrong time of year. A fun little winter warmer.

Makoto – Untold (Remix) (feat. Deeizm) - If you haven't already noticed I'm a sucker for an uplifting tune with female vocals.

Melo – Insight - The other track from New Blood 011. An enjoyable beepy-boopy album closer, simple as.

Mindscape – Vibrations - A track I really like from a producer I'm not usually a fan of. Not much else to say really.

Then I happened to have five left over:

dBridge – Decayed - To be honest I could have included half a dozen dBridge releases, but this was probably his best-received track of the year. I can only describe it as haunting.

J Majik & Wickaman - Ritual - Old Headz has already been posted so here's the other half. Have to say I prefer their more mainstream stuff (sorry!) but this has really grown on me lately.

Lenzman - Broken Dreams - Lenzman's had a busy year and I can easily see him being a big name in 2012. This is the flip of "Lasers" and makes up a very solid release.

D*Minds – Visions - Yes, that Distorted Minds, and yes it was released on Hospital. D*Minds recently decided to turn the clock back it seems, maybe they found an old hard drive full of demos or something. Joking aside it'll be interesting to see what they come up with in 2012.

Blacksmif - Sensurround EP - No tracks from this are on YouTube so there's a link to the entire EP. Jazzy souly liquidy jungly stuff.

Finally, a track that deserves its own arbitrary category:

Croms - Invisible Cities - Alright, it's not drum & bass, but it was released on Exit, and it's without a doubt my favourite tune of the year. The way it builds and develops, the 80s sound, the absolutely everything else. Love it.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Friday Five Time!

Following is my top 5 tunes of the year...

No particular order, all are light on the ears easy liquid atmospheres. I think most are from the summer.

Fracture Design - The Lights Within Her Eyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KzV4XLcU-c

A piano and a whaling female cry lead this tune, really blissful.

The Real Transported Man & LabuaX - Breathe (Stunna Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwjnpkdw-KU

Kinda hypnotic high end percussion stuff going on here, great breakdown and feel to it.

Intelligent Manners - Get Back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i1eXlL6MQ8

Most soulful track on here, light and skippy.

Incident - Indigo Shade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPJl1GiwFfw

Another kinda trancey feel but a bit more aggressive than any of these other tracks.

Loz Contreras - Sarajevo (Hosta Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaTXOYtAj1k

Real simple tune to round this out, not much going on but it's really catchy, a simple horn and arpeggiation.

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Anae posted:

Hate to be that guy, but this isn't a d&b track. It is however a loving amazing tune so everyone should listen to it anyway.

Psh...you're only "That Guy" if you're a dick about it, and you weren't a dick about it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I gotta say, I'm not too impressed with new High Contrast / Netsky singles that have come out recently :smith:

This is the new HC single, the title track from his upcoming album: The Agony & The Ecstasy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXbjxQsJRig

Neither this nor the first single (The First Note Is Silent) come close to anything off Tough Guys Don't Dance for me.

And Netsky's new single Give & Take didn't really do anything for me either (this is just a sample, but you get the idea):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiB3LMdWpjQ

Hopefully some other producers come out with some heavy hitters soon, because two of my absolute favorite producers releasing duds (well, they aren't that bad, but they're not great either) doesn't inspire much confidence in the new year of D&B for me.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

High Contrast, while still relevant, hasn't put out a top-quality tune since 2004. As for Netsky, I like Give & Take, but mostly because it's got a very cool synth lead that reminds me of something out of a classic Sonic The Hedgehog game. Unfortunately, Netsky's one of those guys who burned bright and will flame out quick (can someone say Mistabishi?).

There's a ton of great music coming in 2012, including the first, full-length S.P.Y album and the return of Good Looking Records (and the digital release of their back catalog).

I'm also really interested what comes out of Shogun & Critical Records.

What I'm on lately:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRH4VYQyXCc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7OPZOBJZyI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvVicOYwTXg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

chrix posted:

the return of Good Looking Records (and the digital release of their back catalog).

Is this actually going to be the return of Good Looking? 'cause I think they've been saying that since about 2004. Actually I'd kill for the return of Cookin' Records as well, but since no-one bar weirdos like me bought the records it'll never happen.

I hope this means we finally get Atmospheric Jubilancy out on 12 inch. drat you Bukem! I know you got the stampers made and had some TPs out, all you had to do with actually finish off pressing the drat thing and I'd have been happy!