Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Lose weight fast, ask me how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

7seven7 posted:

Well I really enjoyed the new Black Mirror. But then, I'm not very well read so the concept was new to me.

I read loads of Sci-fi and that's the reason that this one was my favourite. To me good science fiction takes a concept and runs through how it'd affect a person, or a few people's, lives. Like others have said it was a bit like a more extreme version of going through a partner's texts or facebook messenges because you think they're cheating.
I know people who have done it and it just feels like yea, they would do this as well.

I didn't enjoy the last one at all as it felt like such an old, dull concept, and the world wasn't realised enough for me.

The first one was great however, as it built up to an enjoyable climax.

I was pretty surprised to come to the thread to see people loving episode 2 and hating 3.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I've just discovered the entirety of Drop the Dead Donkey is on 4oD and I couldn't be happier. But good lord there is some amazing strobing going on from some of the casts outfits.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

Good last proper episode of Mongrels, ignoring the season highlight clip show because I can't really stand clip shows.

It wasn't just a clip show, it was a sort of mockumentary. You should watch it, it was good!

Vain
Aug 1, 2005

goatface posted:

Standard relativistic quantum field theory says that interactions cannot propagate faster than light speed. Spooky action at a distance is not allowed. This would directly contradict his statement.

He might believe in something like the Bohm interpretation though. So far as I understand it, and its been a few years since I've had to do any quantum mechnics, that allows for it to happen by effectively demanding a fully deterministic universe. The rest of the electrons shift because they already "know" that there is a need to.

Personally I like the idea of Feynman's single electron universe. Then you could just have a single electron travelling through time and space to take the position of every measured electron, with constantly increasing energy in its own timeline. Electrons would never have the same energy because the single electron is never equal to itself. But that's just entertaining thought experiment madness.
This is what Brian Cox replied with on a science forum.

quote:

Seems to be some confusion here about the Pauli Principle. Jeff Forshaw and myself write about it in detail in our book The Quantum Universe, chapter 8. The essential point is that two widely separated hydrogen atoms should not be treated as isolated systems. If you'd like to see how we teach this to undergraduates in Manchester, have a read of this:

http://www.hep.manchester.ac.uk/u/forshaw/BoseFermi/Double%20Well.html

But I do also recommend our book, because the argument is extended to explain semiconductors.

Brian
Is this the Bohm interpretation you are referring to?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

DaWolfey posted:

It wasn't just a clip show, it was a sort of mockumentary. You should watch it, it was good!

Not my fault iPlayer staff are too lazy to title things properly, will check it out tonight then.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I wish I could have been at the meeting at Channel 5 when they decided "yes, our defence to Ofcom will be that 21:00:11 is not immediately after 9pm".

That sort of brazen cheek is impressive in a way.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Good last proper episode of Mongrels, ignoring the season highlight clip show because I can't really stand clip shows.

Do they have the voice cast on-set? I hope so, because I really like the idea of Dan Tetsel meeting Lembit Opik.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Cerv posted:

I wish I could have been at the meeting at Channel 5 when they decided "yes, our defence to Ofcom will be that 21:00:11 is not immediately after 9pm".

Can you elaborate on this?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cerv posted:

Channel 5 is and probably always have been run by a bunch of yahoos. They just get progressively less intelligent over the years.

Nothing says "We are teh smart" like getting Thundercats when you don't have a strand to put it in.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Padje posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

http://m.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/dec/19/big-brother-f-words-channel-5?cat=media&type=article

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

What's the point of having a set time for the watershed if there's also some ill-defined buffer zone as well.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
This would probably be better posted in some sort of christmas thread, but then it wouldn't get the right exposure coupled with people would likely not get it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

It's not really ill defined though.

There will always be a lag in people who had the previous programme on and haven't switch over / off yet, or out of sync clocks so it's perfectly reasonable to say that 30 seconds isn't really after the watershed in any meaningful way.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Posted in the Lifes too Short thread but Gervais confirmed on Twitter today there will be a second series, and a special episode of Idiot Abroad with Karl riding a bike with Warwick in a basket at the front

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Vain posted:

Is this the Bohm interpretation you are referring to?

I don't think so, but I'm well out of my field.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Cerv posted:

There will always be a lag in people who had the previous programme on and haven't switch over / off yet, or out of sync clocks so it's perfectly reasonable to say that 30 seconds isn't really after the watershed in any meaningful way.

I certainly don't find it very tasteful and I don't much care what happens to channel 5 but if Ofcom doesn't want people swearing at 9:00:11 then the watershed needs to be later than 9:00:11. The reasons you give make a good case for such a provision but whats the point in having a 9pm limit if you can't broadcast swearing for an ambiguous period afterwards aswell?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Taff posted:

Posted in the Lifes too Short thread but Gervais confirmed on Twitter today there will be a second series, and a special episode of Idiot Abroad with Karl riding a bike with Warwick in a basket at the front

Will this season be the one they write something for it?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Cerv posted:

Sounds pretty ill-defined to me. I always thought that if a programme started in the 9:00 slot, then it was allowed to follow all the usual post-watershed rules. I bet there's been hundreds of shows in that slot with swearing in the first minute.

Should it only apply to swearing? For example, The X-Files had some pretty gruesome stuff pre-titles.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Stuface posted:

This would probably be better posted in some sort of christmas thread, but then it wouldn't get the right exposure coupled with people would likely not get it.

This is amazing, hahaha

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Rule 1.6 in section 2 of the broadcasting code states:

Ofcom posted:

Broadcasters should take particular care to ensure that material scheduled to start before, but continue past, 21:00 or 05:30 does not abruptly become unsuitable.
Content that commences after the watershed should observe a smooth transition to more
adult content. It should not commence with the strongest material.

Did Big Brother start prior to 2100?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Noreaus posted:

Yes, it started in 2000 :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Noreaus posted:

No

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006
Certain channels have, in the past, been censured by Ofcom for airing 18-rated films at 21:00 rather than a 'more suitable' 22:00

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I distinctly remember an episode of Heartbeat (I was young and didn't have a telly), and on the stroke of 9pm, they cut to a strip club with plenty of bare boobs on show. I guess tits are fine, but swears are not

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

Mellomeh posted:

Certain channels have, in the past, been censured by Ofcom for airing 18-rated films at 21:00 rather than a 'more suitable' 22:00

There's another bit in section 1 that specifically points out 2200 as a suitable time for nudity that wouldn't be appropriate pre-watershed, but that doesn't seem to apply to language.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Noreaus posted:

I believe it has started 5-10 minutes before 9pm at times, always with the "swearing/scenes of a sexual nature" warning beforehand and also people know exactly what Big Brother is and what to expect

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The rules for what's suitable to broadcast are a mystery to me.

They seem to be able to get away with saying the word 'poo poo' well before 9 (especially on the radio), and I'm sure I seen a pair of tits in The Clash Of The Titans at like 1 in the afternoon or something.

Then on the other side of the coin you listen to the radio at midnight and they're playing radio edits of NWA or something.

I don't get it.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I distinctly remember an episode of Heartbeat (I was young and didn't have a telly), and on the stroke of 9pm, they cut to a strip club with plenty of bare boobs on show. I guess tits are fine, but swears are not

wait, boobs on Heartbeat?

Heartbeat????

Are you sure?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Taff posted:

wait, boobs on Heartbeat?

Heartbeat????

Are you sure?

I'm pretty sure he means he changed the channel at nine to another channel and something with boobs in was already on and in progress. There can't have been even a hint of nudity in Heartbeat can there?

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011
Can you get away with gore before 9? I seem to remember some v. bloody beginnings to stuff like midsummer murders.

http://www.tv.com/shows/heartbeat-1992/trivia/season-1/ heartbeat boobs

when googling to find that out, i put 'strip club' in and for some reason was confused about why I wasn't getting the results I wanted.

ScipioAfro fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 21, 2011

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The radio rules are bizarre. Several times recently Radio 6 have apparently requested and been granted the right to transmit live sessions, pre-watershed, where they know that there will be swearing. Apparently the artistic integrity of the performance would be ruined without it and that's enough of a reason as long as they say in advance there will be strong language. Yet Tim Westwood can't host a rap show at 1am that contains a single swearword without profusely apologising for it.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

In the scene where Nick is in a London strip club with a London copper there is a scene in which one of the stripper's bare chest is shown. As this episode was originally aired at 9pm on a Friday night it was okay to show this. The scene has not been shown since but is on the "Heartbeat: End Of The Line - Keep On Running" video.

Brilliant, where can I get a copy of that video

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

goatface posted:

The radio rules are bizarre. Several times recently Radio 6 have apparently requested and been granted the right to transmit live sessions, pre-watershed, where they know that there will be swearing. Apparently the artistic integrity of the performance would be ruined without it and that's enough of a reason as long as they say in advance there will be strong language. Yet Tim Westwood can't host a rap show at 1am that contains a single swearword without profusely apologising for it.

It's because there isn't really a watershed for radio, you just do what you think you can get away with and not be complained about. I imagine it's also because Westwood's shows get a younger audience than 6music (though I could be wrong because Giles Petersen was warning people before playing Tyler the Creator last night on his Radio 1 show).

Though my friend who hosts a half hour show on Resonance FM (poncy London art-radio station) has been told she shouldn't say poo poo any more because they just got an award and more people might be listening and offended, as she's on at half 4 in the afternoon.

See also: BBC Editorial Guidelines Section 5 http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelines/page/guidelines-harm-watershed/

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Taff posted:

In the scene where Nick is in a London strip club with a London copper there is a scene in which one of the stripper's bare chest is shown. As this episode was originally aired at 9pm on a Friday night it was okay to show this. The scene has not been shown since but is on the "Heartbeat: End Of The Line - Keep On Running" video.

Brilliant, where can I get a copy of that video

I'm almost convinced that I saw a repeat with a half 8 start. I'm convinced as I looked at the clock in my front room when it happened thinking "is it the watershed?" I'm also pretty sure there's a scene in the first series where someone kills themselves with fishing line and his throat is pretty nastily eviscerated. Early Heartbeat wasn't the feelgood sap it turned into.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Is this Royle Family episode new? God drat they lay it on with a trowel. Worst programme I've seen this year. The original couple of series were great with just the right amount of awkwardness. This one is like they showed the first series to the loving Krankies and told them to let loose.

Such a comedown. I missed everything after the first couple and now it seems like an AWFUL parody of itself. I mean, what chav family wouldn't recognise that their tree was brushing the ceiling and that was in the 1st 2 minutes?? and chav is unnecessary in my last sentence because ANY FAMILY WOULD NOTIC... actually, gently caress it. Pure poo poo on a rope.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They killed Ideal, but they are beating the long cold dead corpse of the Royle family?

The new broom of BBC comedy surely is doing a fine job!

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

No, it's last year's Royle Family. Ahern and Cash didn't finish the script in time for this year's to be filmed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally got round to watching the last Black Mirror, and enjoyed it a lot. Probably my favourite of the bunch. It helped for me that it had a much smaller scale than the two and was just a really good story that didn't beat you over the head with its allegories and instead had them slot nicely into the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah I totally agree, it was much better than the other two in my opinion. It really benefited from telling a more personal story rather than the clumsy broad strokes of the first two.