Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

nahob posted:

There is a WAD I've been playing called Vanguard. It is very good looking, has some very fun game mechanics, and is overall hard, harsh, and brutal. Cooperative play is supported, but it wasn't tested when it was released. In my opinion it works just fine.

Get it here: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16463

Thanks for this, it was a blast.

In Brutaldoom on UV however, the last few levels brought our computers to their knees :v: This was hilarious and awesome, but they were also basically ridiculous and for two of them, essentially impossible.

The progression up to that point was extremely smooth though, good fun maps.

That said, everyone needs to load up map10 in this wad and play it on UV with brutaldoom loaded, for the combination of :black101: and :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Aeons of Death version 6 has been released!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjybZNV8Byw

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
With so many guns and enemies ripped from so many games how can you tell what the gently caress is going on?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
ahahaha tf2 weapons

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Heads up, id's catalog on Steam is on sale. The id complete pack is $44.99 with sales on individual games. If you somehow don't own Doom and/or Quake, take advantage! http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13001/

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Yodzilla posted:

With so many guns and enemies ripped from so many games how can you tell what the gently caress is going on?
It's like playing every FPS classic at the same time. The ultimate gaming experience. :pcgaming:

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Yodzilla posted:

It's easy to make sense of things. See movement, keep the trigger down until movement stops. :haw:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Morter posted:

So I just beat Duke Nukem 3D with the War Of Attrition mod, and holy poo poo is it amazing. In fact, it's the one thing that pushed me to finishing DN3D (too many hitscans in the vanilla game just got annoying). The level of growth is hysterically awesome.

I've only played the "Original Levels", and I certainly want to play more. Are the randomized levels at all fun? Or should I switch to WGRealms 2?

The randomized levels are kind of a mixed bag; most of them are good or at least alright but a few are really poo poo, and of course they're all pistol-start unlike the main episodes. There were also a few where either the map broke or I was just completely incapable of figuring out some puzzle and ended up noclipping around until I found the next part of the map. Also, the final bossfight is a complete bitch (but in a good way).

I did quite enjoy them, but not as much as I enjoyed mainline Duke3d with WoA.

As for WGRealms 2, I have to say I did not enjoy it at all. It's extremely difficult, a lot of the enemies are total gently caress-you bullet sponges, and ammo is very scarce. I got a few levels in and then went back to play more WoA random levels.

I do wish there were a way I could load other Duke3d map packs into WoA, though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I think the biggest problem with WGRealms 2 is that the maps are too big and confusing and lack almost any flow.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Who wants Kazzy to host AEoD6 tonight?

gently caress, this wad might beat out SKMEGA.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Has anyone tried the Redux mod for AVP Classic? I can't beat a level without the game crashing and the best advice the author gives is "Maybe it's a memory problem."

Also, the deathmatch mode is awesome.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

AVP Classic is the best loving multiplayer ever.

I have now decided to host an AVP night this week.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Kazvall posted:

AVP Classic is the best loving multiplayer ever.

I have now decided to host an AVP night this week.
Hell yes.

I should try using Predator for once, I've only used Marine and Alien in campaign.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

At some point we'll have to play the map 'stranded' and see how long we can last against hordes and hordes of aliens and predaliens.

ChurlishToff
Oct 24, 2010

BRONY SPOTTED
Does Aeons of death have a weapon list anywhere?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Aeons of Death version 6 has been released!

Im having this problem with this mod and have no idea of whats going on, i have the latest GZDoom that runs Real Guns Hardcore, Brütal Doom v13 and so without problems. Any imput?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

i have the latest GZDoom
No you don't. :)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

No you don't. :)

Cheers, i always looked in here http://www.osnanet.de/c.oelckers/gzdoom/index.html and everything worked for me but that one :saddowns:

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"
Back in the days I used to play a specific Duke Nukem 3D map all the time in local multiplayer. Easily spent hundreds of hours on that map alone.

I'm fairly sure that it was named bridgewar.map, however, my old archives are lost and Google isn't helping me. However, I do remember that I did download it maybe 5-6 years ago, which is why I'm fairly sure of its name.

Anyone know how I might find it again?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
What's a good multiplayer mod to start with for coop with doom2 - there's so many to choose from! Also is skulltag still the standard for launchers now?

peskyplumber
Dec 14, 2011

MixMasterMalaria posted:

What's a good multiplayer mod to start with for coop with doom2 - there's so many to choose from! Also is skulltag still the standard for launchers now?

I've been having fun with Neo Doom Gold in skulltag- it seems to start off pretty average, with the usual rooms-and-corridors map layouts, but the later maps get pretty huge and almost Serious Sam-esque. Definitely worth a try. Other than that, someone earlier posted a link to Vanguard, which seems like a good choice for coop, but I haven't tried it out online yet (has a nice jungle-y vibe to it). There's a skulltag server that runs both Neo Doom Gold and brutal doom, which makes for a lot of fun. It's usually pretty populated too.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I think I may have figured out how to add new maps to War of Attrition.

Recommend me some quality duke3d singleplayer maps or map packs to test this with - ideally stand-alone maps (ie, intended to be playable from a pistol start) rather than campaigns.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Sooo, is the new Aeons of Death supposed to only have one player class and not have the enemies drop any weapons anymore?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Thompsons posted:

Sooo, is the new Aeons of Death supposed to only have one player class and not have the enemies drop any weapons anymore?
Are you using the newest SVN of ZDoom?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I seem to recall a ZDoom megawad composed of Quake maps, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding it (if it even exists). I know there's a Quake 2 WIP project, but the video I saw was definitely "Quake 1 maps for Doom." Anybody know what I'm talking about, or if I'm just crazy?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Thompsons posted:

There is only one class now (cycle through the class HUDs by using the + and - keys), although you can change your game-type to fit the various enemy themes. Read the readme.

Only some enemies drop guns.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I've gone through about six levels of Doom 2 with Aeons and an oblige map and not one enemy dropped a gun. They've dropped health, ammo, and armor, but no weapons.

If this is intentional then it's lame as poo poo.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I seem to recall a ZDoom megawad composed of Quake maps, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding it (if it even exists). I know there's a Quake 2 WIP project, but the video I saw was definitely "Quake 1 maps for Doom." Anybody know what I'm talking about, or if I'm just crazy?
Was the whole WAD full of Quake maps? Because the first map of Enjay ZDoom 2001 is a remake of the Slipgate Complex. The rest of this wad's levels aren't Quake though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zero Star posted:

Was the whole WAD full of Quake maps? Because the first map of Enjay ZDoom 2001 is a remake of the Slipgate Complex. The rest of this wad's levels aren't Quake though.

Ungh, how disappointing. But you're right, this is what I was thinking of, thanks for this.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You might be thinking of Q Doom.

That mod requires Edge, though.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Going through my music folder, forgot I had these. If they've been posted, it's been awhile, but there's a couple of Doom albums for fans out there. Head over to Overclocked Remix. There's 2 fan remix albums, free to download.

The Dark Side of Phobos. Doom 1 remixes. I've had this one for awhile, and really like it, especially Hangarmageddon (e1m1).
Youtube link to Hangarmageddon.

Delta-Q-Delta. Doom 2 remixes. I didn't know this existed until today, and am only a couple cong ins, but like what I'm hearing.
Youtube link to Running From Evil Horde (Map 01).

And a bonus link to the Epiclore Doom Melody.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Why doesn't infinite ammo work in Aeons of Death? I set it to ON because I'm sick of the fact that ammo rarely ever spawns (I swear to god the creator of the mod wants us to use melee all the time) and it won't work for all weapons.

I wish there was an option to set how frequently ammo drops, because the randomized monsters make it a bitch to get it.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

That Ignorant Sap posted:

Awesome Remix albums
Mystery Meat (E2M9) is loving awesome. :black101:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Zeether posted:

Why doesn't infinite ammo work in Aeons of Death? I set it to ON because I'm sick of the fact that ammo rarely ever spawns (I swear to god the creator of the mod wants us to use melee all the time) and it won't work for all weapons.

I wish there was an option to set how frequently ammo drops, because the randomized monsters make it a bitch to get it.

First rule of mods: their creators are all absolute bastards.

In other news I have discovered that blood has a sequel. I bought it off GOG for the holiday sale and feel like I was ripped off. I wonder how much of blood 2 horribleness can be put up to the transition to a true 3d engine? I also wonder what drugs the designers were on to explain half of these idiot decisions?

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Klaus88 posted:

First rule of mods: their creators are all absolute bastards.

In other news I have discovered that blood has a sequel. I bought it off GOG for the holiday sale and feel like I was ripped off. I wonder how much of blood 2 horribleness can be put up to the transition to a true 3d engine? I also wonder what drugs the designers were on to explain half of these idiot decisions?

The major thing you have to keep in mind with Blood 2 is that it wasn't finished. It was rushed out the door before they had time to really implement everything they wanted and as a result you got a lot of things that didn't mesh well, story elements that just kind of dead end, etc.. The whole thing with the mad scientist character was actually supposed to be more fleshed out--sound files still exist in the game for more content regarding his part--but it literally just ends with Caleb running into him on a catwalk as he silently cowers on the ground like the random civilians do. The game doesn't even have a story if you play as any character but Caleb, since they never implemented cutscenes for anyone else.

It still wouldn't have been great since the story was kind of stupid. Why they set it a thousand years in the future is beyond me, since most of the enemies could have still been done in a 1930s/40s setting and worked fine, and the far future setting doesn't mesh too well with the first game. It's literally like you're playing a completely different game that happens to share a voice actor. Also, gently caress those spinny hissy things that come from the other side of the rifts. They are beyond irritating. Don't ask me why they'd design such stupidly difficult low-level enemies.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I feel it's because of the Lithtech Engine that the game is built on. God that engine was ugly and playing anything built with it just felt "off."

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
And yet I still remember thinking at the time that I played it that it had incredible graphics. Looking back, yeah, it wasn't very nice to look at at all. But hey, at least it got better. No One Lives Forever and its sequel both looked pretty good, and the F.E.A.R. games (or at least the first one anyways) ran on a very late version of the same engine.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Blood 2 is almost charmingly inept, with its explosions that go through walls and cutscenes where everyone stares at opposite walls as they have a conversation.

By the end they've given up pretending and the loading screen messages are "Uh, well, you're here again! For some reason! Sorry guys."

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

And yet I still remember thinking at the time that I played it that it had incredible graphics. Looking back, yeah, it wasn't very nice to look at at all. But hey, at least it got better. No One Lives Forever and its sequel both looked pretty good, and the F.E.A.R. games (or at least the first one anyways) ran on a very late version of the same engine.

With the Lithtech engine it's very much like the Unreal engine where there were different iterations and major changes to the build. You can see how they're broken down here but the first FEAR was the flagship title for their newest and current iteration of the engine. And I actually really like that engine with its excellent shaders and really nice lighting effects. I'd kill for a Blood remake using Jupiter EX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

I feel it's because of the Lithtech Engine that the game is built on. God that engine was ugly and playing anything built with it just felt "off."

Early LithTech versions had ok environments but the NPCs were goddamn creepy with their bulging, softball-like eyeballs and centimeter-thick eyelids.

NOLF and AvP2 still kicked rear end, though.