Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

Now you're talking. :snoop: In seriousness though, I think the wall plates you posted would probably work. I'm guessing I'd plug the cable into the connector on either side of the wall, and have a short length of cable between them with each individual wire soldered to the back side of the connectors?

That should work fine. The back side of the connectors aren't soldered though, they use a punchdown tool. If you're just doing a few of them you can get away with a cheap version of the tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Why wouldn't you just have a F-F connector on the inside of the plate?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Splizwarf posted:

Why wouldn't you just have a F-F connector on the inside of the plate?

Sure, that would work too. Know where I can get one that will fit into that plate and is exactly as long as my wall is thick?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I don't know where to get them in the first place, Lowes? Nobody makes what I want so I gave up a while back.

Not sure what you mean by "as long as my wall is thick", are you not putting a box behind the plate? Those plates are just covers for boxes, usually. Don't see why they couldn't make an L-shaped F-F, though.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Not sure what you mean by an F-F connector, one of those couplers? The only kind of keystone jacks I've ever seen are always punchdown on the inside.

This is what you need to do it with keystone jacks:
2 low voltage brackets
2 RJ45 keystone jacks
2 wall plates
punchdown tool
and short length of CAT5 to sacrifice.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Splizwarf posted:

I don't know where to get them in the first place, Lowes? Nobody makes what I want so I gave up a while back.

Not sure what you mean by "as long as my wall is thick", are you not putting a box behind the plate? Those plates are just covers for boxes, usually. Don't see why they couldn't make an L-shaped F-F, though.

Oh, I think I see what you're saying now. I thought you were suggesting that I use a coupler such that one end was the jack on one side of the wall and the other side was the jack on the other side of the wall. I think Cpt.Wacky and I are on the same page though.

Cpt.Wacky, your links for the keystone jacks and the wall plates are the same. Is this what I need for the keystone jacks?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Sorry, yeah, too many tabs open. Pick your favorite color. I think orange is traditional for data around here.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I'm looking for a way to make a thin, lightweight dome/hemisphere of approximately 20-25" in diameter for a Bioshock Big Daddy costume I'm making. It doesn't have to be transparent but it does have to be tough enough to be capable of having several portholes dremelled out of it.

I'm using this as a rough guide (scroll down to get to the pics of the dome). Unfoortunately I can't find any of the old security domes this guy used. I'm located in Western Australia so that makes shipping options very limited, hence the preference in making one instead of buying.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Sorry, I meant a female to female Ethernet jack. Normally people use them for chaining shorter sections of cable, but I didn't see why it wouldn't be simplest to just plug in to both sides, rather than have to sort out the pins on both ends.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

jassa posted:

I'm looking for a way to make a thin, lightweight dome/hemisphere of approximately 20-25" in diameter for a Bioshock Big Daddy costume I'm making. It doesn't have to be transparent but it does have to be tough enough to be capable of having several portholes dremelled out of it.

I'm using this as a rough guide (scroll down to get to the pics of the dome). Unfoortunately I can't find any of the old security domes this guy used. I'm located in Western Australia so that makes shipping options very limited, hence the preference in making one instead of buying.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Spacehopper, paper mache. If you can't get a space hopper, try for a big ballon. Make it thick enough (10+ layers) & it'll survive a dremelling.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Corla Plankun posted:

Just buy a couple of these and the appropriate Cat 5 or Cat 6 inserts, a few cables and call it a day. If that is not relatively neat enough you could call in a trim carpenter to put gold-plated flute and rosette molding around them.

Also a good idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess when I think wall plate, I think of something somewhat more sophisticated. (I have wall plates in nearly every room, and drops into the basement where the router/switch rack is).

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

My girlfriend lives in a 3 story townhome. This is her first winter the upstairs (3rd floor) is incredibly cold, while the downstairs (where the thermostat is, single zone) is comfortable.

She has forced air heating, floor vents on the second floor, and ceiling vents on the third. There is a large attic space above the unit, so the only thing I can figure out is that the hot air from the furnace is getting cooled inside the attic before it gets pumped down into the rooms. Does that make sense? Is there a way I can get to the bottom of this?

I tried to poke my head into the attic through the tiny entrance, but the builder laid insulation over it, so I can just barely see in.

e: Sorry bout the double post :saddowns:

Dragyn fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 20, 2011

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dragyn posted:

Also a good idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess when I think wall plate, I think of something somewhat more sophisticated. (I have wall plates in nearly every room, and drops into the basement where the router/switch rack is).

Yeah if I had a bigger house and more money I'd do something like this too, but it's just not necessary where I'm living now. Next house! :black101:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I wanna cover something in tweed or tolex, but the point is that it's one of these here things and the corners are gonna throw me for a loop. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with covering something with tolex and where I should be making cuts to the material and so forth. I could eyeball it, but that has never really worked out for me.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

scuz posted:

I wanna cover something in tweed or tolex,

Unless you just have the tolex laying around I would get some custom printed vinyl.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

Unless you just have the tolex laying around I would get some custom printed vinyl.
But just lookit how loving awesome this is: BAM. I sorta wanted the tactile feel along with the appearance, so I think I'll just simplify the box instead of making multiple complicated cuts.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Cakefool posted:

Spacehopper, paper mache. If you can't get a space hopper, try for a big ballon. Make it thick enough (10+ layers) & it'll survive a dremelling.

Thanks - I was discounting paper mache because of lovely craft projects I made in school when I was a kid. Did a little research and discovered there are some good recipes/techniques for making it really strong and durable. So long as it doesn't get too heavy I think paper mache should be great for this. :)

Followup question: I've never used a dremel before, would it be safe to use one to cut through paper mache reinforced by chicken wire and/or aluminum foil?

jassa fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 21, 2011

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

jassa posted:

Followup question: I've never used a dremel before, would it be safe to use one to cut through paper mache reinforced by chicken wire and/or aluminum foil?

Absolutely, just use a metal cutting head and wear eye protection, just in case.

\/\/\/\/ Great Stuff is one of the hardest to remove materials I've ever worked with. I wasn't wearing gloves using it once and it got on my fingernails. I had to wait for the residue to grow out because it just wouldn't come off.

Dragyn fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 21, 2011

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I need to build a bounding box so Ic an make some sculpted backgrounds out of greatstuff foam. Only problem is I am not certain what materials I can use that the foam will not bond to. The GreatStuff website makes the following mention but is not too specific:

GREAT STUFF™ will not bond to nonstick-coated surfaces, paste wax and some polyethylene plastics.

Does anyone through experience know which polyethylene plastics? Can I just wrap wooden walls with shrink wrap or is there something better?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

nesbit37 posted:

I need to build a bounding box so Ic an make some sculpted backgrounds out of greatstuff foam. Only problem is I am not certain what materials I can use that the foam will not bond to. The GreatStuff website makes the following mention but is not too specific:

GREAT STUFF™ will not bond to nonstick-coated surfaces, paste wax and some polyethylene plastics.

Does anyone through experience know which polyethylene plastics? Can I just wrap wooden walls with shrink wrap or is there something better?

I'm just making a guess here, but wax paper might work.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

scuz posted:

But just lookit how loving awesome this is: BAM. I sorta wanted the tactile feel along with the appearance, so I think I'll just simplify the box instead of making multiple complicated cuts.

I don't know the right way but I would cut one piece big enough to cover the top and sides. Put down the top with spray glue, let it dry a few minutes. Lay down two sides with spray glue and trim flush to the corner. Then do the last two sides leaving about a 3/8" tab that I could fold over and glue down. Or you could relieve the corners at 45 degrees and make butt joints but that requires more precision.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I would cheat and put some simple wood trim on the left and right sides, saving me from having to make any complicated cuts in tolex. Jigsaw work is much easier.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This is a pretty good guide on doing it to a guitar cab. Should be able to adapt it to your project fairly easily.
http://guitarkitbuilder.com/content/how-apply-tolex-guitar-amplifier-cabinet

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks dudes!

That guide fuckin' rules, gonna follow that as close as possible.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I want to make a cheap table.

Nothing fancy, just a big dining table. The thing is, I know nothing about building.

I thought about finding a giant slab of wood panel and attach 4 of these to it : http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70105292/

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? I figure perhaps I would need middle support but I figure I can do that by buying like 4 2x4s and building support and attaching the table legs to that - then place the wood paneling on top.

Is this feasible?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Very feasible. If you're not planning on getting fancy just make the simple frame, lay wood on top then attach legs. I've seen a couple made with tongue & groove boards for the top.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I figure perhaps I would need middle support but I figure I can do that by buying like 4 2x4s and building support and attaching the table legs to that - then place the wood paneling on top.

If the top is thick and rigid enough you won't need support. What size table and what will you use for the top?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

wormil posted:

If the top is thick and rigid enough you won't need support. What size table and what will you use for the top?

Not quite sure on size - I'm going to go to a hardware store after the holidays and see what options are available. I want something that can fit 8 chairs (3 on the sides and 1 on each end).

I probably want a slab of wood that will be 2 inch thick and wide enough for me to work with giant art projects. Since I'm here, can anyone tell me how much I should expect to pay for wood?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Unless you find a slice of redwood, no chance.

Better idea, glue 2x2s or 2x4s side by side to the length & width you require, sand to finish.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Cakefool posted:

Unless you find a slice of redwood, no chance.

Better idea, glue 2x2s or 2x4s side by side to the length & width you require, sand to finish.

That sounds interesting - would I just need wood glue then? Wouldn't I need notches to secure the wood better? Or am I underestimating the power of wood glue?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
HVAC question -

My furnace (Carrier "Weathermaker" 58SX, circa early 90s) has developed an ignition problem. When it turns on everything works the way it should until the main burners need to light. I'll hear the gas valve solenoid kick, followed by a brief sputter of flame from the main burners that lasts 2-3 seconds. This will repeat for 5-10 minutes, during which time the solenoid on the valve kicks randomly and I get the same sputtering flame from the burners. Eventually the burners light and stay lit and all is well until the furnace turns off.

Is this something I can handle on my own (bad thermocouple or flame sensor, etc.) or do I need to call a professional?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That sounds interesting - would I just need wood glue then? Wouldn't I need notches to secure the wood better? Or am I underestimating the power of wood glue?

Just a decent wood glue & clamps. Also, looking at the end-grain of the wood, you want to a alternate the patterns so the grain goes smiley-face, frowny face, smiley face etc. this will reduce warping. Don't skimp on the glue, clamp together, leave to dry then sand the excess glue off afterwards. You'll also take that opportunity to make sure the ends are flat/level, getting it right before the glueing will be quite difficult.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Haha, UK poster spotted. If he's in the US it's going to be a pain in the rear end to find that many 2x2s or 2x4s that all warped the same way. :v:

There are no straight ones over here, our homebuilders don't give any fucks so the woodsellers don't either.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

That many 2-bys from someone who actually cuts them properly and out of a real wood (not cheap-rear end lovely pine) and it'll cost as much, if not more, as buying a proper countertop.

He'd be better off laminating a bunch of wide boards together into a tabletop, or buying a prefabricated top, and then coating the finished slab with a veneer of whatever wood he wants. The top of my desk, for example, is several 1x12s of decent wood laminated together into a 2"x5'x3' slab.

All you need to do the lamination is a lot of glue, and a lot, lot more weight to throw on top of it.

corgski fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 23, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I have always felt that a work surface is a bad deal if it doesn't have 1/4-inch steel as the top layer. :chord:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

I want to make a cheap table.

Nothing fancy, just a big dining table. The thing is, I know nothing about building.

I thought about finding a giant slab of wood panel and attach 4 of these to it : http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70105292/

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? I figure perhaps I would need middle support but I figure I can do that by buying like 4 2x4s and building support and attaching the table legs to that - then place the wood paneling on top.

Is this feasible?
Yes, this is feasible. In fact, that's pretty much exactly how I build my workbenches. Build a 2x4 frame and top with 3/4" MDF, and it will support many hundreds of pounds and much abuse. It may be a bit much for a dining room table, though, and is uncomfortable to sit at such a thick table. You might be happy with a lightweight table framed out of 2x2s and topped with 1/4" veneer, though. You won't want to stand on it, but should be cheap and light and just fine for eating or playing beer pong.

You can get a sheet of plywod, but you're not going to be able to find a wood slab. If you're going to build a solid wood top, don't look in lumber (that grade is for framing, NOT for cabinetry, and you'd never be able to join them properly), look in shelving. Get some 1x10 or 1x12 shelves and biscuit-join (or dowels if you don't have a biscuit joiner) them together. You'll still want to reinforce them for stiffness; a framework of 1x3s set back a bit from the edge would probably work well, with some solid blocks fastened in the corners to attach the legs.

grover fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 23, 2011

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

thelightguy posted:

That many 2-bys from someone who actually cuts them properly and out of a real wood (not cheap-rear end lovely pine) and it'll cost as much, if not more, as buying a proper countertop.

He'd be better off laminating a bunch of wide boards together into a tabletop, or buying a prefabricated top, and then coating the finished slab with a veneer of whatever wood he wants. The top of my desk, for example, is several 1x12s of decent wood laminated together into a 2"x5'x3' slab.

All you need to do the lamination is a lot of glue, and a lot, lot more weight to throw on top of it.

This is a better idea if 2x4s are too expensive. Don't underestimate the weight required though, a few paint tins will not cut it. If you can bodge up a vacuum bag that won't end up glued to the wood this will be sufficient.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Splizwarf posted:

Haha, UK poster spotted. If he's in the US it's going to be a pain in the rear end to find that many 2x2s or 2x4s that all warped the same way. :v:

There are no straight ones over here, our homebuilders don't give any fucks so the woodsellers don't either.
Wouldn't a UK poster call it a 50x100 or something?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Laminating a bunch of wide board together sounds interesting. How I would go about laminating? The only lamination process I'm aware of is taking papers to a kinkos but I'm pretty sure this process is different :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You could also use an 8' luan veneer hollow-core door as your tabletop. For added stiffness, add another sheet of finish=grade plywood on top.