Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NESguerilla posted:

I have had an ongoing (on and off) problem for a long time with wireless being really slow on my macbook pro. I know it's not my connection because my roomates works fine and so does my PS3. Googling it seems to only suggest I change the DNS which sort of worked the first time this happened but does nothing now. Any advice would be appreciated.
Do you both get comparable results from something like speedtest.net? Also, it could still be the connection if you're in different parts of the house - depending on where the router is there might be an extra few feet of wall between you and it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

TACD posted:

Do you both get comparable results from something like speedtest.net? Also, it could still be the connection if you're in different parts of the house - depending on where the router is there might be an extra few feet of wall between you and it or something.

adding to this, you can also run the following in Terminal:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/airport -I | grep Ctl

It will tell you the power of your signal (agrCtlRSSI) and what the noise floor is (agrCtlNoise). For example, sitting about 2 feet from my router, I get a signal of -41 dBm, with the noise at -88 dBm. Not sure at which point the signal becomes unusable, but maybe it will help you pinpoint the problem.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
What's the best way to end up with a single m4v/MP4 file from a DVD that's split across chapters? I have a music tutorial DVD which Handbrake detects as made up of 11 chapters, and I want the whole thing in a single file for my Apple TV.

Thanks

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 18, 2019

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

hog pounder posted:

I have a G4 Mac Mini that's running Leopad and I find that Safari 5 runs a bit sluggish on this machine. Are there other browsers better optimized for this older system?
Not sure about other browsers, but are you running any extensions? They can help in blocking some elements, but they can also take up some extra CPU to work (basically more JavaScript to deal with) so there's a balance to it. Otherwise you can try disabling the thumbnail generation with some plist command which can help a bit, if you don't mind losing those.

Toe Rag posted:

adding to this, you can also run the following in Terminal:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/airport -I | grep Ctl

It will tell you the power of your signal (agrCtlRSSI) and what the noise floor is (agrCtlNoise). For example, sitting about 2 feet from my router, I get a signal of -41 dBm, with the noise at -88 dBm. Not sure at which point the signal becomes unusable, but maybe it will help you pinpoint the problem.
Is that the same info as when you option click the Airport icon in the menubar?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It is my understanding that I can sync Safari bookmarks to my iPad via iCloud, correct?

If so, is there any way that I can do a scheduled import of my Chrome bookmarks into Safari so they sync with my iPad? I don't really update my bookmarks that often, so even if it's just a manual thing I have to launch that would probably be fine. Or if I could schedule it to run every time I reboot (since I boot to play Bf3 a lot)

e: I'd prefer not to use Xmarks if that's possible.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 21, 2011

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TACD posted:

He is about 15 feet closer to the router.

I think it is fixed (for now) after trying about 10 different fixes I found on Google although I have no idea which one did it ha.

Still having an ongoing problem with Lion though. Since I upgraded airport stopped automatically connecting after coming out of sleep mode. It either doesn't connect at all unless I do it manually or there is a huge lag that involves refreshing the page 5 times before it connects.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I want to use Boot Camp to install Windows 7 on an early 2010 15'' Macbook Pro. When I run Boot Camp Assistant and tell it to download the necessary software, it tells me the software isn't available. Apparently this has been a known problem for some time.

I do not have access to my OSX disc, and I am not about to buy another for this purpose. I am running Snow Leopard, and do not want to upgrade to Lion right now.

Where can I get the proper drives to install Windows?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

McFunkerson posted:

It should default to converting all chapters, but you can check right next to the "Title" drop down, it will say Chapters ___ through ____. It's hard to find being right towards the top of the window in plain view, but you might be able to find a screen shot with google image search.

Thanks, but that doesn't do it. I was using the wrong term. I mean titles, not chapters. The list on the left:

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 21, 2011

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

beefnoodle posted:

Thanks, but that doesn't do it. I was using the wrong term. I mean titles, not chapters. The list on the left:

I did a sequence like so:
Choose chapter/title thingy from the popup
Edit the output file name
Click 'Add to Queue'
repeat until done
tell it to convert the queue

I end up with separate files for each chapter/title. Hope this helps!

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

beefnoodle posted:

What's the best way to end up with a single m4v/MP4 file from a DVD that's split across chapters? I have a music tutorial DVD which Handbrake detects as made up of 11 chapters, and I want the whole thing in a single file for my Apple TV.

Thanks

If you end up with several m4v-files, maybe you can combine them by opening one file in Quicktime (in Lion) and drag the other files into the open window? When you save you will have one big file.

You could use imovie, too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Schindler's Fist posted:

I did a sequence like so:
Choose chapter/title thingy from the popup
Edit the output file name
Click 'Add to Queue'
repeat until done
tell it to convert the queue

I end up with separate files for each chapter/title. Hope this helps!
Well that doesn't help cause he wants them to all be output together as a single file. QT Pro in the old player can do this and save without reencoding, while I think QTX reencodes but I'm not sure on that when joining all MP4s of the same size/spec.

If it doesn't there should be a bunch of various video utilities that can, MPEG Streamclip might do it. I think you'll lose the separation though, like you won't be able to skip to x chapter. If you need that, maybe just tag them all as episodes of a show, then again I don't know if Apple TV does continuous play with TV shows if you want that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there an app of some kind to adjust the master volume levels for a MacBook Pro? I use external (active) speakers with mine, but adjusting the master volume is a bit annoying as the max I can use during the daytime is three bars/blocks, whereas in the evenings I have to lower it to one bar, and even that can be a bit loud. Being able to have the volume adjusted around halfway up the bar for medium volume would be great. I just want some wiggle room. :shobon: The default Lion audio settings aren't helping at all.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Softcox posted:

Well you listed the only two options as far as I'm aware. I bought globalSAN to use with a QNAP NAS but there's a bug limiting read speeds to 500KB/s in some situations (mine unforunately!). Support have been helpful but it's still not working properly.

Xtend is more pricey too I think

Thanks for the confirmation of what I already suspected. Is there a description of the speed issue behavior or circumstances?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am totally baffled by what could be causing my 2010 MacBook running 10.6.8 to not want to shut down. When I go to reboot, none of the apps close themselves and eventually I'll get a notice saying the shutdown was cancelled because iTunes took too long to quit. If I close everything it'll say system preferences took too long to quit. Googling didn't really enlighten me and I think it has persisted through a clean reinstall too. Ideas?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Does anyone have experience setting up sparrow to use verizon.net email? I have the right server but for some reason it keeps spazzing on the server auth.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 21, 2011

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
That's a POP3 server, not IMAP.

Try this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2175824_set-up-verizon-imap-account.html

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Does sparrow not let you use POP3? Because I don't think verizon has IMAP anymore.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

I don't think it has POP3 support because POP3 sucks.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

KidDynamite posted:

Does sparrow not let you use POP3? Because I don't think verizon has IMAP anymore.
If this is true, it's hilarious. Even Yahoo finally decided to join the modern age and start offering IMAP email service.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

TACD posted:

If this is true, it's hilarious. Even Yahoo finally decided to join the modern age and start offering IMAP email service.

Yes and no. They'll give you free IMAP on iOS, but they want you to pay for IMAP on the desktop. You can get around it, but they're still trying to make money off IMAP.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

Sign up for a GMail account, add your Verizon account in the POP3 retrieval section, use the GMail account with Sparrow and never look back.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Stare-Out posted:

Is there an app of some kind to adjust the master volume levels for a MacBook Pro? I use external (active) speakers with mine, but adjusting the master volume is a bit annoying as the max I can use during the daytime is three bars/blocks, whereas in the evenings I have to lower it to one bar, and even that can be a bit loud. Being able to have the volume adjusted around halfway up the bar for medium volume would be great. I just want some wiggle room. :shobon: The default Lion audio settings aren't helping at all.

Isn't that the job of the volume knob on the external speakers?
In any case, the Audio MIDI Setup in /Applications/Utilities/ might be able to do it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

japtor posted:

Is that the same info as when you option click the Airport icon in the menubar?

Ah, I didn't know about that :shobon: Yeah it's mostly the same, although option-click doesn't display signal noise, which is somewhat important.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

~Coxy posted:

Isn't that the job of the volume knob on the external speakers?
In any case, the Audio MIDI Setup in /Applications/Utilities/ might be able to do it.
The speakers have no volume adjustment dials or knobs. The Audio MIDI Setup seems like it might do the job as it has a Master slider, but it's greyed out for speakers/Audio Out. :(

Edit: To clarify; I'd like to have one bar on the volume scale to be almost completely silent, roughly halfway up the bar to be a 'medium' volume (at the moment having the volume up at that point would be deafening) and higher up the bar to be louder. Right now having three bars full (out of the 16 available) is getting pretty drat loud.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 22, 2011

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Toe Rag posted:

Ah, I didn't know about that :shobon: Yeah it's mostly the same, although option-click doesn't display signal noise, which is somewhat important.
It's one of those little things they've added some time back, I forget how long (or how little) it has been there. And technically it's the Wi-Fi menu now, no longer AirPort branded there.

Magnificrab
Aug 7, 2010
Bootcamp question, I am running a 2011 iMac with lion and have win7 installed via Bootcamp. The documentation states that the computer should boot up into whichever OS was selected via Bootcamp config/system preferences, unless I hit option while booting. However it seems to stick at the disk selection screen upon boot without actually loading the preferred OS. As I sometimes use remote access, I would prefer a way to fully boot the OS upon restart. Does anyone know how I might configure it to do so?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

japtor posted:

just tag them all as episodes of a show, then again I don't know if Apple TV does continuous play with TV shows if you want that.

That's what I wound up doing. It just wasn't worth the additional :effort: to make it one video.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I just installed an SSD into my macbook pro ( :woop: ) and transferred my old account and files from my old hard drive onto the new SSD. Everything is working great except now the reply button in the mail app doesn't work, but the forward button does?

Any ideas how to fix this?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

The speakers have no volume adjustment dials or knobs. The Audio MIDI Setup seems like it might do the job as it has a Master slider, but it's greyed out for speakers/Audio Out. :(

Edit: To clarify; I'd like to have one bar on the volume scale to be almost completely silent, roughly halfway up the bar to be a 'medium' volume (at the moment having the volume up at that point would be deafening) and higher up the bar to be louder. Right now having three bars full (out of the 16 available) is getting pretty drat loud.

Your speakers are either very sensitive or have a low impedance. You could do this in the analogue way and put an L-pad or similar across the input of the speakers. How good are you at electronics?

Or if you don't mind losing the nice bezel overlay and standard keyboard buttons, try this from a really old Apple forum post - create a new Service in Automator, and set it to receive no input regardless of application. Use the 'run AppleScript' action with the following:
code:
	set vol to get volume settings
	set volume output volume ((output volume of vol) + 1)
Save this one as 'vol up' or similar, then recreate it but with a minus instead of a plus and save that one as 'vol down'. Bind these to hotkeys using the Keyboard prefpane's Services section.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'll keep that one in mind, thanks. But in the meantime I'm not all that confident about messing with the speakers too much. I guess I slightly overplayed the issue, but that said if the audio options get extended somehow or an app becomes available for the purpose, I'm getting it in an instant.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Magnificrab posted:

Bootcamp question, I am running a 2011 iMac with lion and have win7 installed via Bootcamp. The documentation states that the computer should boot up into whichever OS was selected via Bootcamp config/system preferences, unless I hit option while booting. However it seems to stick at the disk selection screen upon boot without actually loading the preferred OS. As I sometimes use remote access, I would prefer a way to fully boot the OS upon restart. Does anyone know how I might configure it to do so?
All I can guess is that there's something weird in some configuration file causing that. Have you tried resetting the SMC and PRAM and that voodoo stuff?

Magnificrab
Aug 7, 2010

japtor posted:

All I can guess is that there's something weird in some configuration file causing that. Have you tried resetting the SMC and PRAM and that voodoo stuff?

I haven't tried messing with any config stuff, can I reset those items in the system preferences somewhere, or go in and change some configuration files manually?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What should I use to download YouTube videos in Lion?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

flash video downloader 2

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

I pluck out the video URL from Chrome's developer panel and then just use the built in curl binary to download them.

Though I suspect you're looking for something much less "under the hood".

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Magnificrab posted:

I haven't tried messing with any config stuff, can I reset those items in the system preferences somewhere, or go in and change some configuration files manually?
Looks like startup is handled by PRAM so try that first I guess:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

PRADA SLUT posted:

Hetima.com has some flash video downloader app that you just open when loading a video and wait till it finishes. Otherwise if you use Safari there's the YouTube5 or ClicktoPlugin/Flash extensions that let you download videos right from the page.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Necc0 posted:

I just installed an SSD into my macbook pro ( :woop: ) and transferred my old account and files from my old hard drive onto the new SSD.

One sidenote, found out and spent the day swapping my superdrive back in to install bootcamp. Kinda crappy the MBP EFI/bios has no support for USB or portable CD/DVD Windows installs. It will only work off of the internal superdrive without some serious vm trickery.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Viktor posted:

One sidenote, found out and spent the day swapping my superdrive back in to install bootcamp. Kinda crappy the MBP EFI/bios has no support for USB or portable CD/DVD Windows installs. It will only work off of the internal superdrive without some serious vm trickery.

Bootcamp lets you create a bootable Windows USB if you're using a Macbook Air. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

awesome-express posted:

Bootcamp lets you create a bootable Windows USB if you're using a Macbook Air. Weird.

Yep even the late 2011 MBP has zero support for USB install, it's pretty bonkers.