Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Ledneh posted:

Here's one I'm struggling to remember. It was an NES shootemup, where your character was a disembodied orange flying head. Probably bald too. Your shots were various body parts (eyeball, jaw, maybe?), and the first level had you moving through a high rise city destroying buildings and helicopters and eating people. I think you had a life bar instead of actual lives, that would restore itself by aforementioned people eating.

Does anyone have any idea what the gently caress because that reads like a drug-addled four year old's nightmare :psyduck:

Zombie Nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well I'll be god damned, I WASN'T making it up! How about that! :haw:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Ledneh posted:

Here's one I'm struggling to remember. It was an NES shootemup, where your character was a disembodied orange flying head. Probably bald too. Your shots were various body parts (eyeball, jaw, maybe?), and the first level had you moving through a high rise city destroying buildings and helicopters and eating people. I think you had a life bar instead of actual lives, that would restore itself by aforementioned people eating.

Does anyone have any idea what the gently caress because that reads like a drug-addled four year old's nightmare :psyduck:

Sounds like Zombie Nation.

Edit: hah there was another page :downs:

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Zombie Nation actually got a ROM Pit review back in the day.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sloober posted:

Some details are wrong but being from memory it could be Dungeon Master 2. Gems were a higher form of currency and there was an overhead/front view. Wasn't very modern though although there was a cryostasis area where you chose your party members.

Nope, though bits of it look similar like how the viewpoint is and the like.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
Does anyone remember an old point and click adventure game where you played as a (green?) dragon? I seem to remember your sister being involved, either following you around through the whole game or just some of it. I think she was a pink dragon. I can remember a fairy ring being part of one of the first screens, and then I think there was something about a magic wand that played a big part in the game? Sorry there's not much to go on.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Blazing Dragons.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

No, that wasn't it :( I'm pretty sure it was a kids game, but a fully featured point and click adventure game. I played it when I was about 10 or so, so it likely came out sometime in the 90s. The dragon you played as had a really annoying 'adult-pretending-to-be-10' voice acting.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I played this game back in the early 2000's.

You played as a wizard kid, or something, and you tried to collect pieces of a sword to kill a evil dark sorcerer. You started in a town called "Tutorial" with a few people, but it was the only town in the game. You could collect spell books to get more spells, but it was optional. You could also skip getting sword pieces. There are four areas in the game. The first is the town and the surrounding area. The second is a forest. THe third is the first part of the sorcerers castle. I never made it to the fourth. The boss of the first area is a giant spider that broke into smaller spiders when hit. You fought it on a bridge.

PLEASE HELP ME. The friend I lended it to says he doesn't remember this game existing.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Tufty posted:

No, that wasn't it :( I'm pretty sure it was a kids game, but a fully featured point and click adventure game. I played it when I was about 10 or so, so it likely came out sometime in the 90s. The dragon you played as had a really annoying 'adult-pretending-to-be-10' voice acting.

Darby the Dragon.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Magikoopa189 posted:

I've only read the review, but could it be Nox?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

Darby the Dragon.

Haha, holy poo poo that's the one. You goons are crazy. How did you know that one? Did you play it yourself and remembered it or did you manage to google it with the meagre details I gave?

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Tufty posted:

Haha, holy poo poo that's the one. You goons are crazy. How did you know that one? Did you play it yourself and remembered it or did you manage to google it with the meagre details I gave?

A few weeks ago I was up in the loft to see if I had any good old games, and Darby the Dragon was one of my childhood favourites that I found, so it's fresh in my memory.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

scamtank posted:

I've only read the review, but could it be Nox?

No. You definitely played as a kid. The game was top down, and somewhat 3-D. Thanks, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Magikoopa189 posted:

You played as a wizard kid, or something, and you tried to collect pieces of a sword to kill a evil dark sorcerer. You started in a town called "Tutorial" with a few people, but it was the only town in the game. You could collect spell books to get more spells, but it was optional. You could also skip getting sword pieces. There are four areas in the game. The first is the town and the surrounding area. The second is a forest. THe third is the first part of the sorcerers castle. I never made it to the fourth. The boss of the first area is a giant spider that broke into smaller spiders when hit. You fought it on a bridge.

PLEASE HELP ME. The friend I lended it to says he doesn't remember this game existing.

Neophyte, maybe? I know that had four areas.

MrRebound22
Dec 16, 2011

Scravo posted:

2) An educational puzzle game starring a jungle/safari explorer who has to collect letter tiles in the correct order to spell a given word. The educational value was aimed pretty low, but the gameplay itself was pretty fun, and reminded me a lot of something like The Adventures of LoLo. I remember there being multiple animal types that reacted differently, as well as some kind of arrow shooting things.

This came from way back on page 24 but I wanted to contribute something before asking for the powers that be to help me with my search. I'm 99% sure this game is Yobi's Basic Spelling Tricks, aka Spelling Jungle. Scravo was right, spelling was never all that difficult, usually 4-7 letter words, but the gameplay was awesome.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/win3x/spelling-jungle
And here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX3xuo02gSQ

Now onto my question:

My brother and I have been trying come up with the name of old Windows game, I would place it somewhere between '94 and '97, but it may have been as late as '99. It was an educational title, but the memories are so sparse, I can't remember what it was teaching. I have a good feeling it was not a math game, but more language/history. Here are the details of our memories:

1. The artwork was dark themed in most levels. Kind of had a spooky theme to it. I'm pretty sure the game was set in a house or mansion, or at least there were many levels there. I feel like there were a lot of pre-rendered backgrounds with 2D stuff happening in the foreground like in Oddworld.
2. My brother seems to remember that between levels you would travel on a spaceship that was on some kind of track
3. Vague recollections of a cutscene where your ship approaches an entry way that is all boarded up, and instead of stopping, you crash through it.
4. The game starts in some sort of library
5. There is a level that takes place in an attic (could I be any more generic?)
6. We both remember a specific scene where some character is being lowered into a vat of lava, or acid, or poison, or something bad, and you have to answer questions to pull the chain that's holding them back up in the air.
7. I don't recall you playing as a character, but all the characters in the game talking through the screen to you personally
8. At the end of the game, you could print out a certificate to put on the fridge so that your mommy could tell you that you were special.

That's all I really have. I had a dream about the game involving some sort of bear or teddy bear being the main conduit between you (the player) and the rest of the game. Saying things like "Hurry! We have to save so-and-so", but this may be a distortion of reality.

My research on Moby Games has concluded that it is not any of the Jumpstart, SuperSolvers, or MathBlasters series. It's also not Gahan Wilson's Ultimate Haunted House, though I did have that game, and it was cool.

If anyone can name this game I will be indebted to you for life.

Edit: I've read through about 50 pages of this thread and seen nothing like what I'm describing, but sorry if this has already been resolved!

MrRebound22 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 17, 2011

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005
There's an old SNES rpg where you built and programmed robots and then battled with them. The art was really cartoony and it resembled a final fantasy game.

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Erdos posted:

There's an old SNES rpg where you built and programmed robots and then battled with them. The art was really cartoony and it resembled a final fantasy game.

Robotrek.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
SHMUP where you could choose between four or five ships, each with different stats and attack type. The first level you were flying over trees and maybe a river, and it seemed relatively intense in terms of the number of bullets - not as many as Ikaruga or Touhou, I think it was comparable to Jamestown possibly. The graphics were really nice sprites, like the quality of 2D sprites on the PS1. If it helps at all in identifying it, it was in the big arcade on the Las Vegas strip.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
An N64 game, I think, where you ran around in an arena as a vehicle fighting other vehicles. I remember weapon powerups, and one level that was Wild West themed and had a train.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Here's a difficult one:

It was during the late 80ies in some arcade hall. That game was a right-left scrolling beat'em up where you played as some kind of cyborg ninja thing.

All the powerups you got went into your character's fist, which first started glowing faintly and became :black101: when you got enough powerups. Also the game was hard as hell.

I know this is a vague description, but I was a small kid back then and was mostly impressed by the pew-pew and the good graphics.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Farecoal posted:

An N64 game, I think, where you ran around in an arena as a vehicle fighting other vehicles. I remember weapon powerups, and one level that was Wild West themed and had a train.

Vigilante 8 or Vigilante 8: 2nd Offensive?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

ponzicar posted:

Vigilante 8 or Vigilante 8: 2nd Offensive?

Hurray :buddy:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

Here's a difficult one:

It was during the late 80ies in some arcade hall. That game was a right-left scrolling beat'em up where you played as some kind of cyborg ninja thing.

All the powerups you got went into your character's fist, which first started glowing faintly and became :black101: when you got enough powerups. Also the game was hard as hell.

I know this is a vague description, but I was a small kid back then and was mostly impressed by the pew-pew and the good graphics.

80s cyborg ninja scrolling beat'em up immediately makes me think The Ninja Warriors, but I don't remember that game having powerups at all. It's not that, is it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hammerstein posted:

Here's a difficult one:

Are you sure they were ninja? This sounds like Robo Army or Eight Man:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAQIGemeJG0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDgR9FX5898

Wideshanks
May 17, 2007

B.M.O.F.
Big Man On Forums
What was the name of that game where you played a game design studio? You hired hackers and suits to help the game get made and they leveled up I think.

There was a big thread about it in Games, I just can't find it. It might be in the archives.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Wideshanks posted:

What was the name of that game where you played a game design studio? You hired hackers and suits to help the game get made and they leveled up I think.

There was a big thread about it in Games, I just can't find it. It might be in the archives.

Game Dev Story.

Wideshanks
May 17, 2007

B.M.O.F.
Big Man On Forums

Funkmaster General posted:

Game Dev Story.

Yes, thank you.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I've been thinking about a game that I played as a kid that was a cartoony DOS platform game. You had to save either math or english (can't remember which) from a group of aliens or something like that. There were 3 or 4 in the series and I can't remember the name to save my life.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

PSWII60 posted:

I've been thinking about a game that I played as a kid that was a cartoony DOS platform game. You had to save either math or english (can't remember which) from a group of aliens or something like that. There were 3 or 4 in the series and I can't remember the name to save my life.

Total random guess: Commander Keen?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

PSWII60 posted:

Are you sure they were edutainment games? I'm going to have to suggest the usual Super Solvers trainwreck in that case.

Sorgrid
May 1, 2007
So it goes.
I have been looking for this game for years.. it was a graphic adventure game with text commands in French, on a tandy computer (I think it was more advanced than a TRS 80 but didn't run windows 3.1. There might have been an English version too. I think the first screen was a crossroads or just a path with a sign and a moss covered trunk. I remember there having a swamp with a turtle (typing "kill turtle" right away would not achieve the desired effect) and there being a desert, a waterfall and a cave behind the waterfall. Any thoughts?

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.
I've been trying to remember an old PC game I used to play, this was probably early 90s. It was a space strategy simulator thing where you'd fight for control of a solar system against another enemy race. The only real aspect of it I remember is equipping ground troops- they would start out crappy then you could get metal armor and better guns for them and then you could get this awesome laser shield thing that covered their whole bodies.

This is pretty vague but if it triggers any memories let me know.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

I've been trying to remember an old PC game I used to play, this was probably early 90s. It was a space strategy simulator thing where you'd fight for control of a solar system against another enemy race. The only real aspect of it I remember is equipping ground troops- they would start out crappy then you could get metal armor and better guns for them and then you could get this awesome laser shield thing that covered their whole bodies.

X-Com sounds similar.... Does this look familiar at all?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

It triggered something in me, that bit about the shield armour thing - I was thinking Deuteros but looking through it's not that from what I can see. I remember a thing with basic Rambo-y marines, then some with some armour, and then the fully upgraded guys had a kind of squared opaque bubble over their head and probably chest area

EDIT Oh hello
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VmfMFGBnQEE#t=134s

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

PSWII60 posted:

It could be Word Rescue or Math Rescue.

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.

baka kaba posted:

It triggered something in me, that bit about the shield armour thing - I was thinking Deuteros but looking through it's not that from what I can see. I remember a thing with basic Rambo-y marines, then some with some armour, and then the fully upgraded guys had a kind of squared opaque bubble over their head and probably chest area

EDIT Oh hello
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VmfMFGBnQEE#t=134s

YES. It was called Overlord over here in America. Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlord_%281990_video_game%29

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Fuoco posted:

It could be Word Rescue or Math Rescue.

This is definitely it. They were great games too :)

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
A point-and-click adventure game for MS-DOS, probably from the late 80s / early 90s. I've looked through the Sierra games of the era but couldn't find it from there, so most likely it's not a Sierra game. Anyhow, you played as a little kid and the game took place in a house. I remember the upmost floor having a a working model train that you could play with. Also, if you failed in the game, you were sent to a military school.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Smol posted:

A point-and-click adventure game for MS-DOS, probably from the late 80s / early 90s. I've looked through the Sierra games of the era but couldn't find it from there, so most likely it's not a Sierra game. Anyhow, you played as a little kid and the game took place in a house. I remember the upmost floor having a a working model train that you could play with. Also, if you failed in the game, you were sent to a military school.

Any ideas?

The military school thing was in Willy Beamish. Not sure why you wouldn't find it in the Sierra catalog, though. Could your memory be blending games together?