Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I have had this question for the longest time. I don't even use my CD/DVD drive most of the time, but is there any sensible reason why it locks my PC every so often when copying from a dirty/scratched disc? I remember drives have been doing that since I had my first pure CD drive back in 2002 and the behaviour didn't disappear even know, several OSs and PCs later. So what gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
If it encounters enough errors so that it drops the read down to PIO Mode, then it could freeze a bit, potentially.

I had a godawful SD Card reader that worked in PIO Mode, and it ran the system at 100% CPU usage on a Pentium M 2GHz, and copied at less than 1MB/s.

I replaced it with a decent one that had bus mastering, and woo, we're off.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I'm just trying to get rid of most of my dusty old discs, and this is literally painful. What sane reason is there for the drive to freeze whole goddam system? I get it, the dics' condition is bad, just copy slowly and let me browse on my quadcore with 8 GB RAM without it looking like my I was working again on my first Celeron @ 500 Mhz with 256 MB RAM :negative:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

lordfrikk posted:

I'm just trying to get rid of most of my dusty old discs, and this is literally painful. What sane reason is there for the drive to freeze whole goddam system? I get it, the dics' condition is bad, just copy slowly and let me browse on my quadcore with 8 GB RAM without it looking like my I was working again on my first Celeron @ 500 Mhz with 256 MB RAM :negative:
Tools, Folder Options, View, "Launch folder windows in a separate process." Then it should only freeze the Explorer window you're accessing the disc through.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any recommendations for a way to monitor all ingoing/outgoing traffic on a home network? I'm currently using a 3g connection that seems to bog down completely at night, probably because the cell towers are overloaded. Since I pay per gigabyte, I want to make sure there isn't anything wrong on my end in any case.

The router I was supplied was the Ericsson w35. I don't know if I have much choice over router, since I think it came with custom firmware from the provider.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any recommendations for a way to monitor all ingoing/outgoing traffic on a home network? I'm currently using a 3g connection that seems to bog down completely at night, probably because the cell towers are overloaded. Since I pay per gigabyte, I want to make sure there isn't anything wrong on my end in any case.

The router I was supplied was the Ericsson w35. I don't know if I have much choice over router, since I think it came with custom firmware from the provider.

The router's setup webpage has Transmitter/Received counts on the Internet tab, and even conveniently counts it up by month.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I'm looking for a good prebuilt gaming rig and found this one on Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227383

Is this a good price/value for what is included? I basically want it for Skyrim/The Old Republic.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

AllisonByProxy posted:

I'm looking for a good prebuilt gaming rig and found this one on Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227383

Is this a good price/value for what is included? I basically want it for Skyrim/The Old Republic.
Nope that's pretty bad, it uses an AMD FX-series processor which are dog slow and very power hungry. Check out the system-building, upgrading, and parts-picking megathread for info on what to look for.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I wouldn't touch Bulldozer with a barge pole. Tom's Hardware recently did benchmarks doing that very chip in a $1000 system, and it bottlenecked the GPUs over and over. But I guess if you live in a cold place, an extra space heater is a bonus.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
All the tests I've seen so far indicate that you'd be much better off with a Phenom II X6 than any Bulldozer chip, in both price and performance. Oh AMD :sigh:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Alereon posted:

Tools, Folder Options, View, "Launch folder windows in a separate process." Then it should only freeze the Explorer window you're accessing the disc through.

I am using alternate file manager, which makes that tweak useless for me (even if it worked).

From what I've gathered, it's caused by the CD drive overflowing the system with interrupts from trying to read a bad disc that generates tons of errors and retrying over and over. System has to handle each interrupt and thus the micro-lockups. It can't be solved in any way short of totally changing/removing the interrupt system that's been with us since forever.

Audiologic
Feb 3, 2009
So I'm looking for a new motherboard for my computer, but I'm on an i7 870 processor, and from what I've seen, my options are pretty limited. I was looking at this:

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=42478&vpn=P55-CD53&manufacture=MSI%2FMicroStar

The reason I want a new one is because I'm on a lovely OEM board and have basically no options on the bios. Honestly all I do is gaming, and I've heard a ton about how disabling hyperthreading will give me a huge performance increase on games like BF3, and I can't even do that with this current board.

Any recommendations on a board? Or should I just wait and pick up an i5 2500k and a new mobo when I'm not so poor?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

HalloKitty posted:

Yes. CoreTemp.

http://alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Make sure to click "More Downloads" and then 32 bit or 64 bit to get the clean, exe only version.

When you turn logging on (tools>logging on), it creates a CSV file in the same folder that you launched the exe from.

You can set the logging interval in the options, 10s by default.

The CSV file contains CPU temp, CPU temp high and low since logging started, CPU load, and CPU speed.

In case anyone was interested in seeing a plot of CPU throttling:

I think I hosed up the temperature plot by a few degrees. I had logging set to 'distance from tjmax' and not absolute temp so I did some spreadsheet math to work backwards from tjmax but it doesn't seem like its getting hot enough to throttle. Anyway I made this graph for the person I bought this laptop from so I can cover my rear end and get a replacement so I didn't really need to have perfect numbers.

FYI its a HP 6910p with an Intel T9300.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 23, 2011

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Time for a new CPU cooler I guess :v: Speaking of which, are the Corsair Hydros worth the money? I really like the idea of having a little radiator that will basically carry the heat from the CPU outside of the case.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Time for a new CPU cooler I guess :v: Speaking of which, are the Corsair Hydros worth the money? I really like the idea of having a little radiator that will basically carry the heat from the CPU outside of the case.

It's a laptop but I'm guessing the heatsink might be damaged. How can I tell if the heat pipe is ruptured?

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
I probably should ask this question here rather than the part picking thread.

A month ago, I sent back my old P8P67 PRO motherboard with the faulty SATA port issue back for RMA. I received back a "new" (because I'm not sure if its new or refurbished) P8P67 PRO motherboard (Rev 3.1). It came with a bent CPU fan header.

Some effort bending the bent CPU fan header pin back into position later, I assembled my entire PC. Press power, and the system would not post; the CPU LED is red. I tried CLR RTC already and that did not work. I checked for bent pins but found none bent. I also went derpy derp and tried powering on the system without a heatsink.

I'm thinking I got either another defective motherboard or somehow I ESD'd my CPU (which I honestly don't believe happened).

Is there anything else I can try? or should I RMA it again (for not posting)?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Speaking of which, are the Corsair Hydros worth the money? I really like the idea of having a little radiator that will basically carry the heat from the CPU outside of the case.
No, they are extremly loud and don't perform anywhere near as well as regular heatsinks. Check out the Thermalright HR-02 Macho, they're a pretty good value for their extremely high performance, and use the quietest fan on the market.

Shaocaholica posted:

It's a laptop but I'm guessing the heatsink might be damaged. How can I tell if the heat pipe is ruptured?
You really can't, but this is very unlikely. Make sure the heatsink isn't clogged with dust and that the fan is still spinning, and if that's good, remount it with a new layer of thermal paste after a cleaning, that can really help temperatures.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Alereon posted:

You really can't, but this is very unlikely. Make sure the heatsink isn't clogged with dust and that the fan is still spinning, and if that's good, remount it with a new layer of thermal paste after a cleaning, that can really help temperatures.

I would do this but there's a good chance the seller has another one they can just swap me. I'd rather not crack this thing open until I know I have to.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Alereon posted:

No, they are extremly loud and don't perform anywhere near as well as regular heatsinks. Check out the Thermalright HR-02 Macho, they're a pretty good value for their extremely high performance, and use the quietest fan on the market.

That sucks, the Hydros look really neat. Oh well.

What about the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13? I only need 125W or so of heat dissipation and that claims to be 200W. I'll see if Fry's has that Thermalright too.

dalp
Oct 7, 2002
I'm fixing up an old computer and the fan on the CPU rattles pretty bad so I figure I'll replace it.

Can anyone recommend a fan for an old q6600? I really don't want to replace the (stock) heatsink and have no plans on OCing it. It's just going to be my mom's email computer. Also, should this fan be blowing on or away from the CPU?

Also, the power supply, while not loud, isn't really silent. Although it's hard to tell with all the noise the CPU fan is making. Should I worry about this if the system isn't really ever going to be stressed?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

What about the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13? I only need 125W or so of heat dissipation and that claims to be 200W. I'll see if Fry's has that Thermalright too.
I have the original HR-02 (not the Macho) but it's a great cooler if you want a low-noise system. The HR-02/Macho's are massive, but the Venomous-X-style mounting system is great if you ever need to swap out a CPU and you don't want to remove the motherboard. I have my HR-02 on a 2600K at 4.6ghz & 1.38v, and max IBT hits 70C at 77F ambient temperatures.

["dalp" posted:

I'm fixing up an old computer and the fan on the CPU rattles pretty bad so I figure I'll replace it.

Can anyone recommend a fan for an old q6600? I really don't want to replace the (stock) heatsink and have no plans on OCing it. It's just going to be my mom's email computer. Also, should this fan be blowing on or away from the CPU?

Also, the power supply, while not loud, isn't really silent. Although it's hard to tell with all the noise the CPU fan is making. Should I worry about this if the system isn't really ever going to be stressed?
For the fan, you could strap any 80mm-92mm fan on it (blowing down towards the motherboard), but it's not really recommended for a quad as it won't perform that great. You should really consider a cheap cooler like the 212+.

What's the specific model of the PSU, and how old is it?

future ghost fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 23, 2011

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The Macho is exactly the same with a fan included, I believe.

Well, mostly the hydros are crummy due to being a bad performance:value proposition and the constant noise of the pump, which may or may not annoy you. Some people like them, and they're not the worst thing in the world.

Also yeah the Freezer is fine, or look for the Hyper 212+

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Dogen posted:

The Macho is exactly the same with a fan included, I believe.
I agree, for all the points that matter. The Macho was tested on the overclockers forums on the same socket 1366 system/fans as the original HR-02 and performance was extremely similar.

There's a few other differences, like no nickle-plating on the heatpipes, no included screwdriver (for tightening the mounting hardware), and the center lug for increased CPU pressure isn't included. Otherwise they're identical, and the Macho comes with a fan. It's not the best cooler for high-speed crazy-person Delta fans, but you'll see great performance even in a semi-passive setup.

..assuming you can find one :smith:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
loving thermalright, man. Don't get me started.

I want a couple of those new TY-150 fans for my Archon, only place I can find them is on amazon marketplace for 20bux a pop... screw that.

dalp
Oct 7, 2002

grumperfish posted:

For the fan, you could strap any 80mm-92mm fan on it (blowing down towards the motherboard), but it's not really recommended for a quad as it won't perform that great. You should really consider a cheap cooler like the 212+.

What's the specific model of the PSU, and how old is it?

The trouble is that all of this is from a Dell Inspiron 530. So I believe the PSU is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dell-Supply-Inspiron-Numbers/dp/B003CO04CU

I'm guessing a 212+ wouldn't fit in the case.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
This store was linked from Thermalright's site: http://nansgaminggear.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2563126

I guess it's a front for Thermalright...? It's the same store that ships for Amazon.

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 23, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I don't think they're a front, I think they're just the only US distributor currently for some reason. I was a little skeptical when I saw they were only started in September, but people on the HardOCP forums seem to be getting their orders.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I finally bought my new graphics card. An Sapphire HD6950. This thing has Dual BIOS, selectable using a hardware switch. And guess what, the second BIOS is the unlocked version. I have 1536 stream processors now, instead of 1408, and that without loving with any tools.

:dance:

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Combat Pretzel posted:

I finally bought my new graphics card. An Sapphire HD6950. This thing has Dual BIOS, selectable using a hardware switch. And guess what, the second BIOS is the unlocked version. I have 1536 stream processors now, instead of 1408, and that without loving with any tools.

:dance:
What model # is it out of curiosity? Is it a Dirt3 edition card?

As long as your board has the ports for it (most socket 1155 boards don't have IDE ports so you'd need an adapter), sure, that would work.
VVV

future ghost fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 23, 2011

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Is it possible to take my old windows xp hard drive and stick it in my current windows 7 computer and have it show up as a second drive windows so I can get some files from it?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Macksy posted:

Is it possible to take my old windows xp hard drive and stick it in my current windows 7 computer and have it show up as a second drive windows so I can get some files from it?

Yes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

grumperfish posted:

What model # is it out of curiosity? Is it a Dirt3 edition card?
It was listed as Dirt3 on their price list, but it was a generic edition. The SKU is 11188-05-40G. The Dirt3 one seems to end with 50G.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm setting up a new computer my wife got, but I need to copy over a bunch of stuff from her old computer. Now I know SATA doesn't need slave/master jumpers like old IDE drives, but when both drives contain everything needed to boot Windows, how does it know which to use? Or rather, how do I specify which one is the boot drive?

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

jackpot posted:

I'm setting up a new computer my wife got, but I need to copy over a bunch of stuff from her old computer. Now I know SATA doesn't need slave/master jumpers like old IDE drives, but when both drives contain everything needed to boot Windows, how does it know which to use? Or rather, how do I specify which one is the boot drive?

Boot order in the BIOS.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Yeah, I figured so, and yet it won't boot. The new HD is set as boot device, the old HD is set to be ignored on boot, but I've restarted a couple times and it keeps hanging on the "starting Windows" screen. If I unplug the (old) drive, it boots just fine.

Edit: after about ten minutes the loading screen goes away and it just goes black.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 24, 2011

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Set the port you are plugging the old drive into to hot plug and plug it in after booting?

Alereon posted:

I don't think they're a front, I think they're just the only US distributor currently for some reason. I was a little skeptical when I saw they were only started in September, but people on the HardOCP forums seem to be getting their orders.

Frozencpu usually has a lot of thermalright stuff... They have the new Archon with the larger fans that came out recently, but not the fans by themselves yet

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Performance-pcs also has a decent Thermalright selection (no Macho yet though):
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=46_557_778&zenid=6459c41871d1a709f3acfef5e6e13427

Sidewinder has a few, but their selection is fairly limited:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thvexcpuco.html
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thulbledrec.html
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thulexrevc.html

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
The weird thing is that the Thermalright HR-02 Macho was pretty widely available awhile back, then it disappeared, and reappeared only at Nan's.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Alereon posted:

The weird thing is that the Thermalright HR-02 Macho was pretty widely available awhile back, then it disappeared, and reappeared only at Nan's.
Talking to one of the reviewers at OCF, he said he looked into it and Thermalright chose them as the US distributor for that particular heatsink (probably as part of a deal with higher initial inventory stock for the site-launch, but they weren't specific on that point). It will hit other retailers in a few months, but Nan's will be the only source for the Macho for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"
I'm building a new LGA2011 desktop for photo editing and most likely some gaming. Am I correct in that I have to choose between gaming cards and 30bit color? Would there be a way to get a 570 gtx and quadro 4000 on the same board and use each for their respective strong suit?

• Locked thread