Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
Thanks for all the helpful replies! I have an appointment with Planned Parenthood tomorrow, I think I'll talk to them about it a little and see if I still want the shot. Now that I've read your guys' thoughts and looked at PP's info on the shot, I'm kind of thinking I might like Implanon a little better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Barracuda
Jun 24, 2007

I'm about to go to my yearly with a new OBGYN. He's given the Mirena to childless, single friends of mine. After trying most other hormonal methods (BCPs/NuvaRing/Implanon, no interest in injection or patch) I really want it too. Add to this the fact that my insurance runs out in two months, and it seems like the perfect time.

I have no doubt this doctor would go for it, except for one thing: I've had one ectopic pregnancy. As a result I'm down one functional fallopian tube. My previous doctor refused me the Mirena because there's a chance that if it fails, it could result in another ectopic. So theoretically I would be unable to conceive "naturally."

I realize the possibility is there, on the slight chance the Mirena were to fail.

But the risk is just so...small. I'd be more likely to screw up another hormonal method and get pregnant than have the Mirena fail and end up with another ectopic. I would RATHER have to resort to IVF later in life than have kids now.

Am I being silly in feeling this way? Is it a waste of time to even pursue this?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
So I decided to quit taking birth control pills (Yaz generic) after almost 10 years on it continuously.

Does anyone have any experience with when/if the terrible acne will end?

I also wouldn't mind my seriously boosted sex drive if it wasn't so goddamned distracting.

I am having second thoughts...

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Sarah Barracuda posted:

I'm about to go to my yearly with a new OBGYN. He's given the Mirena to childless, single friends of mine. After trying most other hormonal methods (BCPs/NuvaRing/Implanon, no interest in injection or patch) I really want it too. Add to this the fact that my insurance runs out in two months, and it seems like the perfect time.

I have no doubt this doctor would go for it, except for one thing: I've had one ectopic pregnancy. As a result I'm down one functional fallopian tube. My previous doctor refused me the Mirena because there's a chance that if it fails, it could result in another ectopic. So theoretically I would be unable to conceive "naturally."

I realize the possibility is there, on the slight chance the Mirena were to fail.

But the risk is just so...small. I'd be more likely to screw up another hormonal method and get pregnant than have the Mirena fail and end up with another ectopic. I would RATHER have to resort to IVF later in life than have kids now.

Am I being silly in feeling this way? Is it a waste of time to even pursue this?
Just remember that this is your decision. You have to weigh the potential issues yourself (which I'm sure you already have) and be firm with your choices when you're talking to the OBGYN. Your best bet to is explain that you understand the risks and that you've thought it through, and this is the choice you've decided to make.

Good luck. :)

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

My girlfriend (27) has decided she doesn't want to be on hormonal birth control any more. She's been on the pill off and on for eleven years and apparently she can't deal with the emotional toll it takes. She's also worried about losing her fertility. She doesn't want an IUD because she's worried that being on birth control long term will make her infertile. Also she's grossed out by having a piece of metal inside her uterus. She's also worried about the cost (medical insurance supposedly won't cover it.)

She wants us to use condoms and the rhythm method as our sole means of birth control.

How reliable/unreliable is this idea?

P.S. I'm pretty sure she'd never be able to go through with an abortion or adoption so that's right out. She also wants to have babies with me some day, so no vasectomy.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
I don't trust condoms myself, but used them solely for about 4 months between going off the pill and switching to an IUD due to some stupid circumstances. Would she be willing to take a morning after pill if a condom split? We had one break due to carelessness, but it was mutually understood between us that I would take a morning after pill in the event, which I did. You guys should talk about that.

As far as I know the pull out method is a terrible idea (that's what the rhythm method is, right?). Natural family planning in addition to condoms could offer a bit more protection if you're not comfortable just using condoms and she's well in touch with her cycle (I mean avoiding sex when she's ovulating/fertile and using condoms when she isn't, not going bareback any time but, which some people do), but if she's coming off the pill her cycle will probably be unpredictable for quite a while.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Moto Punch posted:

I don't trust condoms myself, but used them solely for about 4 months between going off the pill and switching to an IUD due to some stupid circumstances. Would she be willing to take a morning after pill if a condom split? We had one break due to carelessness, but it was mutually understood between us that I would take a morning afterx pill in the event, which I did. You guys should talk about that.

As far as I know the pull out method is a terrible idea (that's what the rhythm method is, right?). Natural family planning in addition to condoms could offer a bit more protection if you're not comfortable just using condoms and she's well in touch with her cycle (I mean avoiding sex when she's ovulating/fertile and using condoms when she isn't, not going bareback any time but, which some people do), but if she's coming off the pill her cycle will probably be unpredictable for quite a while.

I meant natural family planning I guess. She's not super in tune with her cycle, or maybe her cycle isn't very regular because she seems kind of surprised frequently by period. She also isn't particularly open with me about it so I could be completely wrong.
I got her to grudgingly agree to try a diaphragm this morning. We'll see how long that lasts and if I can even get her to schedule an appointment.

EDIT: she might be ok with the morning after pill but if she has to go to a doctor or pharmacist every time that probably won't happen.

BrainParasite fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 22, 2011

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
It sounds like she would benefit from a long talk with a gyno. First, being on birth control long term won't make her infertile. If she wants to go off the pill due to side effects, fine, but she doesn't need to fear infertility.

Condoms are a fine method of birth control provided you have a plan for breakages. She sounds kind of emotionally volatile so it's ESPECIALLY important that you sort this out in advance. Again, talking to a gyno about the way the morning after pill works would be a good idea.

Also, with gyno input, there may yet be other options. I would suggest she look into Implanon. It's a tiny hormone-releasing implant that goes in your arm and is good for 3 months years. It has WAY less hormone than most pills, and only one kind of hormone (most pills have 2). If you decide you want to start trying for kids, she just gets it removed. Lots of women in this thread use Implanon, so feel free to share her questions with us.

I want to put in a final good word for what I have, the Mirena hormonal IUD. It's plastic. I used to be horrified by the idea too, but reading about people's positive experiences here convinced me to give it a go. I've had it almost a year and I don't really have periods anymore or ever have to worry about pregnancy. It's good for 5 years but if I decide I want kids before then I can get it removed. My insurance did cover it.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 22, 2011

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Also, with gyno input, there may yet be other options. I would suggest she look into Implanon. It's a tiny hormone-releasing implant that goes in your arm and is good for 3 months.

3 months? I thought it was years.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Absolute Evil posted:

3 months? I thought it was years.

Derp, you're right. It's 3 YEARS. That makes more sense. I think I conflated it with depo. Editing to reflect your correction, thanks!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

BrainParasite posted:

I meant natural family planning I guess. She's not super in tune with her cycle, or maybe her cycle isn't very regular because she seems kind of surprised frequently by period. She also isn't particularly open with me about it so I could be completely wrong.
I got her to grudgingly agree to try a diaphragm this morning. We'll see how long that lasts and if I can even get her to schedule an appointment.
If she doesn't want to use hormonal birth control shes well within her rights not to, however it does pose a larger risk of pregnancy by not especially since she doesn't seem to have a grasp on her cycle. Not being open about such things is a huge red flag. Its a big decision to trust condoms not to fail and hope that pulling out in time will happen. Personally, I don't trust condoms not to fail/break because I know if I got pregnant I'd have to make some very hard decisions and it's not just my life it would affect.

quote:

EDIT: she might be ok with the morning after pill but if she has to go to a doctor or pharmacist every time that probably won't happen.
I'm pretty sure the morning after pill isn't supposed to be used as a form of birth control. And you do have to go to a pharmacist for it every time you need it. Also, if shes not okay with taking birth control because she thinks it'll make her infertile, it doesn't make sense that she'd take plan B considering all the controversy and misinformation out there about it.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 22, 2011

Sarah Barracuda
Jun 24, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

Just remember that this is your decision. You have to weigh the potential issues yourself (which I'm sure you already have) and be firm with your choices when you're talking to the OBGYN. Your best bet to is explain that you understand the risks and that you've thought it through, and this is the choice you've decided to make.

Good luck. :)

Thanks for the encouragement, it really helped. I have a hard time asserting myself to doctors.

You're right, it is my choice, and it's better to be honest than polite. I told him I would choose abortion if I became pregnant. I'm not 100% sure my bipolar is under control. Trying to carry to term right now is too dangerous in too many ways. I'd rather risk infertility and adopt when I'm in a better place.

So the doctor put in an order for a Mirena and scheduled insertion for next month, right before my insurance runs out! I feel like a huge weight is coming off my shoulders.

BrainParasite posted:

she might be ok with the morning after pill but if she has to go to a doctor or pharmacist every time that probably won't happen.

Keep in mind that it's called "Plan B" and not "The Undo Button." Even with textbook perfect use, I still became pregnant after taking it. And it could easily have been the reason for my tubal pregnancy/miscarriage. (Also, depending on where you live, it's expensive and a pain to get)

I'm NOT saying don't use it if you need it, but by no means rely on it.

Also, the fact that you say she's "often surprised" when her period comes suggests natural family planning is probably the worst possible option for her. If she can't measure her cycles, it defeats the purpose of the method. And even then, it's unreliable when done correctly.

Eggplant Wizard is right, she really needs to talk to a doctor.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

BrainParasite posted:

She's been on the pill off and on for eleven years and apparently she can't deal with the emotional toll it takes.
What what what. I am reading this right? Why on earth was she on a birth control that made her miserable for 11 years? Did her doctor not explain there's a million different kinds out there so if one doesn't work out, there's plenty of other options?

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

More information. Her irregular cycle may have been because she has run out of birth control several times during our relationship. I would try to not have sex with her when she wasn't on birth control, but a few times she was off so long I forgot. I am dumb sometimes. Edit: but at least I used a condom when I forgot.

She seems to feel she has talked to her doctor enough to get a feel for her options. I suspect she's cherry picking the worst possible side effects from each method and focusing on those. I doubt any evidence I or the internet can provide will change her mind. She also does not really seem to understand exactly big an issue this is to me.

gently caress. This probably should have been an e/n thread.

Does anybody know a better way "This relationship has no future if we cannot find a mutually acceptable form of birth control."?

BrainParasite fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 22, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

BrainParasite posted:

More information. Her irregular cycle may have been because she has run out of birth control several times during our relationship. I would try to not have sex with her when she wasn't on birth control, but a few times she was off so long I forgot. I am dumb sometimes.

She seems to feel she has talked to her doctor enough to get a feel for her options. I suspect she's cherry picking the worst possible side effects from each method and focusing on those. I doubt any evidence I or the internet can provide will change her mind. She also does not really seem to understand exactly big an issue this is to me.

gently caress. This probably should have been an e/n thread.

Does anybody know a better way "This relationship has no future if we cannot find a mutually acceptable form of birth control."?

Potential side effects aren't "This is absolutely certain to happen to you". Also it sounds like pills-types aren't appropriate for her. There are ways of getting around pill forgetfulness, like setting your phone to go off as a reminder, but that doesn't work for everyone.

I've never understood people being so casually uncaring about maintaining their birth control while still wanting to be on it. How frustrating. I'm sorry. :(

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
On that note, I was at the pub with a couple of girlfriends the other night, and after our drinks came out, one of them just casually pulls out her pill packet and swallows one down with a swig of cider. My other friend and I just looked at her incredulously.

:eek:: "Classy dude. Is that the same time you take your pill every day?"

:j:: "Oh, no, I can't really keep a regular schedule, but you have like a 24 hour window"

:confused:: "Uuuh, I'm pretty sure it's 12 hours from the time you'd normally take it"

:j:: "I'm not going to get pregnant, anyway, poo poo happens"

:eek: :confused:: "Your baby is gonna be so cute man, can't wait to meet it in nine months"

:j:: >:-(

She claims she doesn't want kids until she's thirty, and then goes and does stuff like that. Guuuh. I mean, I know she could get lucky and be totally fine taking it at random times every day, but why on earth would you take the risk? I get the feeling people who act that way, even if they won't admit it out loud, at least subconsciously must want to get knocked up. Either that or are just plain irresponsible, who knows.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
So because I apparently screw up my pill schedule if I'm busy/stressed/depressed, I'm thinking about other kinds of birth control. I'm supposed to go to Planned Parenthood in the next month or so to at least renew my prescription on the pill I'm on, but I'd like to at least consider switching to something else.

Can I hear some experiences with Implanon and Mirena? Both kind of scare me, but I know if I got one of them, I'd be fine with it after a few days.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Both are well loved here and several people have them. I'm a Nuvaring lady so I'll put in my suggestion for that. Only trouble is it can be pricey. :|

Oh yeah, I got a bunch of generic Dramamine pills, and holy moly. My life is changed forever. I changed my ring schedule to put it pretty late at night (1AM right now) and I just take Dramamine about an hour before I put the ring and I'm nausea free all night. And since it causes drowsiness it's doubly awesome. :) No more sick nights for me.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

BrainParasite posted:

NFP doesn't require a regular cycle (I was constantly surprised by my period before I started NFP, because my cycles varied from 21 to 34 days in length), but it does require a few other things of her:
1) being off hormonal birth control long enough to ovulate, and then tracking at least three and preferably six cycles after that - and for that entire time, you have to use some sort of barrier method and use it correctly (once she's figured out her cycle, you can go without the barrier when she's not fertile, but until she does, she pretty much has to assume she's always fertile, except the first three days of each cycle...)
After part 1 is complete, then there's also:
2) never having sex (without a barrier method) before 6pm in the first phase of her cycle
3) never, ever saying, "Gee, I don't need to take my temperature / check my cervical fluid today, I'm sure I'm not fertile today!"
4) never, ever saying "I'm sure that doesn't count as fertile-quality fluid!"
5) always being honest with you about where she is in her cycle

So if you're okay with part 1 and part 2, and you think she'll be okay with both, and you're confident you can trust her to do parts 3, 4, and 5, sure, NFP could work for you. If you aren't okay with that or you don't think she will be or if you are not completely confident you can trust her, NFP is not a good choice.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

uberwekkness posted:

So because I apparently screw up my pill schedule if I'm busy/stressed/depressed, I'm thinking about other kinds of birth control. I'm supposed to go to Planned Parenthood in the next month or so to at least renew my prescription on the pill I'm on, but I'd like to at least consider switching to something else.

Can I hear some experiences with Implanon and Mirena? Both kind of scare me, but I know if I got one of them, I'd be fine with it after a few days.

Implanon has worked wonderfully for me. I went from pill/condoms -> Depo (3 years) -> abstinence -> Implanon, and it's hands down the best method I've used. I'm actually on my 2nd Implanon now, which means when it's up I have to poo poo or get off the pot!

I wasn't reliable enough for the pill and I had crazy mood swings with Depo (which is still better than unwanted pregnancy). I've really liked Implanon. Click the ? under my name to see my posts about Implanon in this thread if you're interested in hearing more about my experiences.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

zonohedron posted:

If you aren't okay with that or you don't think she will be or if you are not completely confident you can trust her, NFP is not a good choice.

Yeah she couldn't even bother to keep up with pills so I really wouldn't trust her to do NFP.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm on my second Implanon and I love it. I've posted about it here, but in the last thread, I posted a trip report and more -- does anyone have a link to the last thread?

BrainParasite posted:

My girlfriend (27) has decided she doesn't want to be on hormonal birth control any more.
- Reasonable in some circumstances, but these aren't them.
She's been on the pill off and on for eleven years and apparently she can't deal with the emotional toll it takes.
- Has she tried different kinds? Low-dose, POP? Also, agreeing Plan B is way worse.
She's also worried about losing her fertility. She doesn't want an IUD because she's worried that being on birth control long term will make her infertile.
- This is wrong verging on nuts, like anti-vaccination levels of wrong.
Also she's grossed out by having a piece of metal inside her uterus.
- If she can't handle that, she definitely can't handle NFP.
She's also worried about the cost (medical insurance supposedly won't cover it.)
- Have you checked? Lots do. Planned Parenthood and other clinics often have sliding scales. Even if they don't, over the lifetime of an IUD/Implanon/etc., it may wind up cheaper than pills or condoms.

If she won't consider abortion or adoption, then you have to be absolutely 100% sure pregnancy isn't possible. It seems like she's making it about as likely as possible. Sounds like you have different goals and she's a whole lot more okay with babies than you are.

lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?
It's funny that so many people are fearful of IUDs. People put all sorts of things in their bodies - contact lenses, tampons, piercings, not to mention dental work... the IUD is just one more thing, and probably the most comfortable of the aforementioned. Unless you go digging for it, there's really no outside indication that the IUD is in there.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

lou reed posted:

It's funny that so many people are fearful of IUDs. People put all sorts of things in their bodies - contact lenses, tampons, piercings, not to mention dental work... the IUD is just one more thing, and probably the most comfortable of the aforementioned. Unless you go digging for it, there's really no outside indication that the IUD is in there.

Contact lenses don't potentially completely gently caress up your reproductive system though. ;/ That's the source of my concern, anyway.

fork bomb posted:

Implanon has worked wonderfully for me. I went from pill/condoms -> Depo (3 years) -> abstinence -> Implanon, and it's hands down the best method I've used. I'm actually on my 2nd Implanon now, which means when it's up I have to poo poo or get off the pot!

How do they take it out?

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

uberwekkness posted:

How do they take it out?

They make the tiniest of incisions (same way that it's put in), grip it with hemostats, and remove. For both insertion and removal the arm is completely numbed by local anesthetics, so you don't feel anything but a bit of pressure (which is completely pain free, it's just an awareness that something's happening).

The worst "side effect" from Implanon is that your arm bruises up and is sore as h*ck for a while after insertion. I felt mildly lovely the day after I had it put in, but not enough to keep me from anything I had to do. I also get the irregular rag now, but as someone who was never clockwork to begin with, this is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Implanon is great because there are no mood swings caused by hormones, removal is very easy, and once it's out, your body goes back to normal.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Re: Mirena

I got my first official period this last week(i guess? The spotting stopped a few weeks ago) since getting Mirena in October and it is one of the lightest periods I've ever had. No super vicious cramps either, which I was prone to before.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Good news. We had a huge fight last night. Well that isn't the good news, but she looked at the evidence about an IUD and fertility.

She seems ok with an IUD now. I think it was a combination of seeing how much a pain in the rear end a diaphragm/natural planning would be, looking at the long term effects on fertility, and coming to terms with her fear of a metal thing inside.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

BrainParasite posted:

Good news. We had a huge fight last night. Well that isn't the good news, but she looked at the evidence about an IUD and fertility.

She seems ok with an IUD now. I think it was a combination of seeing how much a pain in the rear end a diaphragm/natural planning would be, looking at the long term effects on fertility, and coming to terms with her fear of a metal thing inside.

Yaay! Well, she should still see a gyno and ask about Mirena (plastic, hormonal IUD) and Implanon (plastic, hormonal implant), and if she wants to go hormone-free, also Paragard (the copper, non-hormonal IUD).

uberwekkness posted:

Click on the question mark under my av for my experience with Mirena (starting around Jan 2011). I LOVE it. I was totally grossed out and horrified by IUDs for years because I was imagining basically a big piece of coat hanger wedged up in there with all sharp edges... that's obviously inaccurate. Look for some pictures of Mirena, especially ones with a size reference. It's very small. Getting it put in is painful, but in most cases it's only crampy for a couple of days and then you're good to go. One thing that's important is to make sure your gyno is comfortable putting one in a woman who hasn't had given birth (or, if you have had children, is used to working on women who have given birth). The gyno's experience is the most important thing for preventing problems.

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm on my second Implanon and I love it. I've posted about it here, but in the last thread, I posted a trip report and more -- does anyone have a link to the last thread?

I think there's a link at the bottom of the OP of this one.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

uberwekkness posted:

MIRENA IS MAN'S GREATEST INVENTION

Diving Buttress
Aug 20, 2002

oh jesus christ
I'm going to have to look into the IUD again (tried it last year and they couldn't insert it, and I chickened out on the 2nd appointment after they mentioned using "dilators"). In the past my gyn wanted to give me the Mirena over the Paragard because I have PCOS. Since a lot of women either have very light or no periods with the Mirena, does it really matter? One of the side effects of the Paragard is heavy/painful periods, but with the PCOS sometimes I have no period at all, so I don't see the big problem.

Funny story, when I originally made my appointment for the Mirena it was right after my mom had her 6th(?) blood clot. I really don't remember how many she's had since they started when I was younger. She tested negative for the known clotting disorders but her cardiologist told her there had to be some type of genetic component in there for her to get so many (she's had 2 PEs and all the rest have been in her legs). I told my gyn I was worried about taking the pill in case I'd inherited something, but then the Mirena insertion didn't happen and the gyn said it was most likely not much to worry about. I guess since I'm only 29 and she didn't actually test positive for anything. I didn't really want Implanon or Depo at the time. I'm now off the pill for good after getting a clot earlier this month. Fun times. My family's all on blood thinners together. It's so cute.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I also tried Implanon, but got it taken out after two years because I kept spotting. At first it didn't bug me, but I started have off days less and less. I posted a bunch about it, so you can check my previous posts if you're interested.

Insertion and removal is very easy, doesn't hurt, but your arm is pretty sore for 2-4 days afterward. They put it in your non-dominant arm so it's not usually a problem.

uberwekkness posted:

Contact lenses don't potentially completely gently caress up your reproductive system though. ;/ That's the source of my concern, anyway.

Yes, but they potentially gently caress up your sight. Not trying to worry you, just pointing out anything you put in your body is (probably) potentially harmful.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

I guess that's true. :)

Well, I'll have to find out the cost of the two options when I get my birth control consultation. Both sound pretty great, but I'm kiiiind of leaning toward Mirena, what with the period stuff. Thanks for the info!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

bobula posted:

MIRENA IS MAN'S GREATEST INVENTION

I have so many fingers crossed for a good tax return. I NEED ONE NOW!

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
Hey, not sure if this has anything to do with being on the Pill (Marvelon for 3 years) [probably not... aging maybe?] but I was someone that didn't have painful periods at all except a bit after it was done. Ovulation pain most likely.

My withdrawal bleeds have been painful the last 4 months. Nothing excruciating but find it weird that it is happening.

I don't have a family doctor so I'll be going to a clinic in 5 days to see if I'm just whiny or whatever but if anyone has some info, shoot away.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
I'm thinking about switching to the patch, my main reasons being I can't remember to take the pill every day and have no insurance so it's seems the most flexible/ affordable option. I also really like the piece of mind of having a visual reminder stuck on my body that I've taken my birth control. I've never had any bad reactions to hormones, not even Plan B, so I'm not worried about the high levels in the patch. I really miss hormonal birth control for the regular and pain-free periods.

I know everybody here loves the implants and IUDs, but in scanning the thread I couldn't find much in the way of negative experiences with the patch... Witch is probably a good thing, right? Anybody know more about Ortho-Evra than what Planned Parenthood can tell me?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

PopRocks posted:

Anybody know more about Ortho-Evra than what Planned Parenthood can tell me?
Not in particular, I have heard that it's difficult to restick the pack if it comes off. We don't have many patch users in this thread that I can recall, at least no regular posters here use them. Implanon or Nuvaring might be good for you to look into just because its a monthly/3year maintenance vs weekly. But everyone has their preferences. :)

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

PopRocks posted:

I'm thinking about switching to the patch, my main reasons being I can't remember to take the pill every day and have no insurance so it's seems the most flexible/ affordable option. I also really like the piece of mind of having a visual reminder stuck on my body that I've taken my birth control. I've never had any bad reactions to hormones, not even Plan B, so I'm not worried about the high levels in the patch. I really miss hormonal birth control for the regular and pain-free periods.

I know everybody here loves the implants and IUDs, but in scanning the thread I couldn't find much in the way of negative experiences with the patch... Witch is probably a good thing, right? Anybody know more about Ortho-Evra than what Planned Parenthood can tell me?

The thing about the patch is that you need to weigh less than 180 lbs. I tried it briefly for period related reasons and it didn't work cuz I weighed to much. Also I had a reaction to the adhesive. Sometimes it will leave an adhesive residue on your skin that doesn't come off. Just a few things to keep in mind.

Have you considered the Nuvaring? It doesn't have a weight limit and it's just like the patch, you put it in and forget about it.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I was on the patch for over a year and it worked great for me. To keep your skin from getting weird, you can cycle not only the side of your body you stick it on, but also the site. There are four places iirc that you can stick it. Baby oil can help get the extra glue off.

As long as you are not at risk for blood clots, the increased chance of getting them does not really affect you as the percentages are still very small. If you smoke tobacco or are overweight, the patch is not for you.

I only switched off it because everyone was raving about the ring and I wanted to try it too. Plus, I was getting kind of tired of performing site maintenance, so it was about time for a change anyway.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
My skin is pretty sensitive and allergy-prone, that is factor I hadn't considered. I've worn other medicinal patches without issue so I'm willing to try it at least.

I don't smoke and have low blood pressure. The stuff I read online said the upper limit for weight was 198lbs, so I wasn't worried, but I'm pretty close to 180lbs so I guess I'll have to talk about that with the doctor. My primary motivation is alleviating menstual pain and symptoms and regulating my periods, so if the patch won't do that I might as well just go hormone-free.

I've heard one too many complaints about being able to feel the NuvaRing, especially during sex. I had a friend who would take it out every time she had sex which seems like a bad idea for me personally, being so forgetful.

PopRocks fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

PopRocks posted:

I've heard one too many complaints about being able to feel the NuvaRing, especially during sex. I had a friend who would take it out every time she had sex which seems like a bad idea for me personally, being so forgetful.

tbf, this is extremely individual because it depends on the shape/angle of the the user's ladyparts. I've never once had to take mine out or had issues with it.

• Locked thread