Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Ksrugi posted:

What are some really intimate movies concerned with mostly a small cast and their relationships with each other? Something along the lines of Conversations with Other Women and Lost in Translation.

Most Wes Anderson movies fit this bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ksrugi posted:

What are some really intimate movies concerned with mostly a small cast and their relationships with each other? Something along the lines of Conversations with Other Women and Lost in Translation.

@ El Gallinero Gros
I started my Kurosawa love with The Seven Samurai. Still my favorite of his movies.

Movies based on plays or by playwrights would mostly fit this. Most anything by David Mamet but especially Glengarry Glenn Ross and Oleanna. Whose afraid of Virginia Wolfe would also fit. These are all fairly mean movies, as a word of warning.

What are some good pre-code talkies, especially any that are on Blu-Ray. Baby Doll might be the only one I've seen, but I loved it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What films other than American Graffiti have an idealized/romanticized view of 50s youth culture while not shying away from drinking/drugs/sex/etc? Ideally not as over the top as Grease, but that's not too far off.

e: vvv Psh, everyone knows that every decade bleeds into the next by a year or two.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 21, 2011

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
American Graffiti's set in the 60s!

Sorry, I know that doesn't help.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

feedmyleg posted:

What films other than American Graffiti have an idealized/romanticized view of 50s youth culture while not shying away from drinking/drugs/sex/etc? Ideally not as over the top as Grease, but that's not too far off.

I don't know if it is really idealized or romanticized, but The Last Picture Show was a 70s movie, based off a 60s book, dealing with teens in the early 50s. Whatever it lacks in idealization it makes up for in being a great movie.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

e: vvv Psh, everyone knows that every decade bleeds into the next by a year or two.

Phillip Kaufman's "The Wanderers" is probably the best one I've seen. It's based on Richard Price's novel, who went on to write for Scorcese and The Wire.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Check out The Lords of Flatbush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f9YmJjdpGI

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Someone recommend some light-hearted theft movies.

I just watched all of the Ocean's movies and The Italian Job and I'm looking for something along those lines.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

Check out The Lords of Flatbush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f9YmJjdpGI

Max Awfuls posted:

Phillip Kaufman's "The Wanderers" is probably the best one I've seen. It's based on Richard Price's novel, who went on to write for Scorcese and The Wire.

Awesome, these are exactly what I'm looking for. Going on the ol' watchlist.

I'll definitely check out The Last Picture Show, too, even though it doesn't really fit what I was looking for. Looks great.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Daric posted:

I just watched all of the Ocean's movies and The Italian Job and I'm looking for something along those lines.

The Lavender Hill Mob is always worth a look.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Daric posted:

The Sting
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry
Charade
What's Up Doc?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Daric posted:

Foolproof is a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3qndVGGsM4

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Daric posted:

Heist is not nearly as light-hearted as those, but it is awesome. Seconding The Sting.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

cosmin posted:

I'd like a film set in a mystical south american setting, black magic, voodoo, day of the dead stuff.

The only similar ideas I can think of is the 2nd part of From Dusk till Dawn, the voodoo levels in Monkey Island and the Black Magic Woman song by Fleetwood Mac/Santana

tia

A bit late on this, but check out I Walked With a Zombie and The Serpent and the Rainbow (an under-appreciated Wes Craven movie).

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I saw Best in Show for about the tenth time the other day, and it got me in the mood for something centered around a competition from a variety of perspectives, fiction or documentary. It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, Rat Race, Spellbound, and Word Wars as examples of this I've seen. The Saddest Music in the World looked like a good choice, but I was kind of disappointed in how little it showed of the other competitors.

I'm pretty sure I should start with They Shoot Horses, Don't They? and I have no real desire to watch The Cannonball Run, but what are some other examples of this?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Wordplay, if you want an odd little documentary about crossword puzzle weirdos (like me).

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

I saw Best in Show for about the tenth time the other day, and it got me in the mood for something centered around a competition from a variety of perspectives, fiction or documentary. It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, Rat Race, Spellbound, and Word Wars as examples of this I've seen. The Saddest Music in the World looked like a good choice, but I was kind of disappointed in how little it showed of the other competitors.

I'm pretty sure I should start with They Shoot Horses, Don't They? and I have no real desire to watch The Cannonball Run, but what are some other examples of this?
Please Vote for Me
Planet B-Boy
Gumball Rally (is that too much like Cannonball Run?)

She
Sep 26, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I really like the recent trend that I'm seeing of female characters who are just messes in a very human way. Greta Gerwig in Greenberg, Kristen Wiig in Bridesmaids, and maybe a bit of Brit Marling in Another Earth. I feel like cinema tends to put women on a pedestal, but I like and identify with female characters so much more when they're actually relatable as human beings in the way that we tend to see men in films. The women that I know are just like the men I know: their lives tend to be up and down, and they themselves are often the source of these issues and they make a lot of mistakes before things get better. But I don't really see that in women in cinema. What are some other great films that have this sort of very relatable, emotionally messy but strong female lead?

Super late here, but I think you may be similarly taken with Samantha Morton in Morvern Callar (2002). Her performance, the soundtrack, the cinematography, and how the film depicts fresh grief in a way it's rarely manifested in movie-women or girls (unhysterical, unglamorous) are all fantastic. I'd say just dive in without reading much about it, if you can. The plot isn't tidy and it's darker than the films you mentioned, but Samantha Morton is just so.. I don't know; bare and mesmerizing.

The book is good, too

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Xenophon posted:

Most Wes Anderson movies fit this bill.

Until I finally saw it I kept thinking it was a Wes Anderson movie. Ksrugi, if you need a place to start with him I suggest The Royal Tenenbaums or The Life Aquatic (Some people might fight me on Life Aquatic but I love everything about that movie).

Also, I got an A on that paper I was asking for "White guy saves the day movies" for. So thanks for the help on that guys.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

cosmin posted:

I'd like a film set in a mystical south american setting, black magic, voodoo, day of the dead stuff.

The only similar ideas I can think of is the 2nd part of From Dusk till Dawn, the voodoo levels in Monkey Island and the Black Magic Woman song by Fleetwood Mac/Santana

tia

Angel Heart and if you're looking for TV shows American Gothic.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Daric posted:

A lovely little film that you almost certainly have never seen is Bill Forsythe's That Sinking Feeling. It's a very low-key crime caper where a bunch of unemployed Scottish teenagers decide to pinch a bunch of stainless steel sinks. From the director of Local Hero and Gregory's Girl. It's difficult to track down, but there is a version up on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSF5DVhEuUg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It's a bit creaky around the edges now, but absolutely worth a look.

Oh, and for the goon looking for movies about competitions, you might want to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfrpKZV4r7k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It's a mockumentary called Unflinching Triumph, about professional staring competitions. It's like King of Kong (also recommended) but for a fake sport. When it came out it was released for free on the Internet, and the filmmakers tried to pass it off as a real documentary about a real niche sport. It's well made enough that this was plausible. As a marketing ploy it didn't end up working, but I still rate it as a decent bit of work anyway.

If you are interested in a real short documentary about odd competitions there is a good BBC doc called Lord of the Dance Machine which is on Google Video. Tells the story of a young British chav who is a professional DDR player. Again, worth 45 minutes of anyone's life.

On re-reading your post these might not be the kind of thing you are after at all, seeing as how you want the multiple perspective thing (though King of Kong still covers that), but I'll leave them here anyway as they may be of interest to someone.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 26, 2011

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I loved Please Vote for Me, watching third graders go full-out into politics was great just because of how straightforward they were about using bribery, propaganda, and intimidation. It's crazy how many flaws of democracy such a small experiment naturally portrayed.

Daric posted:

The Hot Rock would be great for this. I loved Donald Westlake's caper novels, and it's the only halfway decent adaptation out of like six attempts. Robert Redford's always great, and he nails the character of John Dortmunder.

Mr Empty
Feb 23, 2011
Recently watched Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring and was wondering if someone could recommend similarly serene, spiritual films.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mr Empty posted:

Recently watched Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring and was wondering if someone could recommend similarly serene, spiritual films.

Not all of these are "spiritual", but I'm a fan of "serene"

The Mirror (Tarkovsky)
The Vertical Ray of the Sun
The Scent of Green Papaya
Innocence
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
Syndromes and a Century
Blissfully Yours
Mother and Son
For All Mankind
Naked Island
Postmen in the Mountains
The Dream of Light a.k.a. Quince Tree of the Sun
Into Great Silence

Probably a bunch more I'm forgetting. You should also look into Terrence Malick if you haven't already.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mr Empty posted:

Somewhere

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend some modern Swedish thrillers or horror films.

I just saw the new The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and really enjoyed it, and it reminded me how much I like the feel of dark, brooding films set in and/or from Sweden. I like the snow, the cold, the isolation -- it's a great aesthetic. Let the Right One In is another film that really nails this (and Let Me In to a lesser extent). I ask for more modern ones just so I don't get recommended Bergman or similar; he's one of my favorite directors but it's not what I'm looking for. That said, films from any era and any country could work, it just seems like Sweden is the epicenter for that kind of thing.

Basically I'm looking for dark, cold, snowy, atmospheric thrillers.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

PDMChubby posted:

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend some modern Swedish thrillers or horror films.

I just saw the new The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and really enjoyed it, and it reminded me how much I like the feel of dark, brooding films set in and/or from Sweden. I like the snow, the cold, the isolation -- it's a great aesthetic. Let the Right One In is another film that really nails this (and Let Me In to a lesser extent). I ask for more modern ones just so I don't get recommended Bergman or similar; he's one of my favorite directors but it's not what I'm looking for. That said, films from any era and any country could work, it just seems like Sweden is the epicenter for that kind of thing.

Not exactly Swedish, but close.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

PDMChubby posted:

Have you seen Oldboy or Memories of Murder?

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Joramun posted:

Not exactly Swedish, but close.

Good call, thanks for the recommendation. I was surprised by how solid the American version is and it's pretty drat close to the mood I'm looking for. Maybe I just need to watch Stellan Skarsgård's filmography.

fenix down posted:

Have you seen Oldboy or Memories of Murder?

Yes to Oldboy, but it's not quite the feel I'm looking for despite being a dark, brooding, isolated thriller.

It's hard to articulate exactly what I want, I guess. I like the calm and the quiet of the snowy Swedish environment with that darkness and tension lurking just beneath the surface. I think Oldboy's tone is more straightforward and consistent, whereas Let the Right One In and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo are more atmospheric and calm until the tension periodically climaxes, then they return to slow and quiet -- it's like the film equivalent of the Pixies.

For instance, most scenes in LTROI consist of the two kids talking in the courtyard or something relaxed, but then every so often someone will be killed or burst into flames or get attacked, etc. In Fincher's TGWTDT, most scenes are research or discussion between characters, but then there's the rape, the torture, the counter-rape, Daniel Craig being hunted, etc. It's been a while since I've seen it, but from what I can remember Oldboy mostly maintains it's rhythm throughout -- it definitely ramps up a few times but I don't think the contrast is as noticeable.

I'm probably being too specific and picky, though.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Are there any movies that are similar in style to the story of the Deathly Hallows in HP Death Hallows part 1? It's a short 3 minute animated scene, but it's design is fantastic and really any story told in that style would be intriguing to me.

magpie
Apr 28, 2006
I just watched the three Bourne movies and enjoyed them. Does anyone have any recommendations for any spy/police action films with really intense sequences/chases please? Off the top of my head all I can think of is Infernal Affairs and that chase in Point Break. No James Bond thanks.

Also, on the Infernal Affairs note are the sequels worth seeing and on the Hong Kong note any other action films I should see (I've only seen Hard Boiled and Infernal Affairs)?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

PDMChubby posted:

Not a thriller and not Swedish but you could check out the Finnish movie The Cuckoo for northern cold and isolation. Great scenery.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308476/

magpie posted:

I just watched the three Bourne movies and enjoyed them. Does anyone have any recommendations for any spy/police action films with really intense sequences/chases please? Off the top of my head all I can think of is Infernal Affairs and that chase in Point Break. No James Bond thanks.

Also, on the Infernal Affairs note are the sequels worth seeing and on the Hong Kong note any other action films I should see (I've only seen Hard Boiled and Infernal Affairs)?
Ronin is a classic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PDMChubby posted:

There's the Wallander BBC series, it's in English but set in Sweden. It's based on a a series of Swedish crime novels. I haven't actually seen it, but I've heard good things about it and it stars Kenneth Branagh, who I like.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Skwirl posted:

There's the Wallander BBC series, it's in English but set in Sweden. It's based on a a series of Swedish crime novels. I haven't actually seen it, but I've heard good things about it and it stars Kenneth Branagh, who I like.

There's also the original Swedish version which probably isn't so well made but the guy who plays Wallander is better (or maybe it help having a less well-known actor) and there's a lot more episodes.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

magpie posted:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

magpie posted:

Presumably you've seen some of these, but, in approximate descending order of how much I like them: Casino Royale, Bullitt, Dirty Harry, The International, Hanna, District B13, Enemy of the State.

True Lies is kind of silly/jokey (also kind of creepy/misogynistic) but if that tone doesn't ruin the intensity for you, it has some nice chase sequences.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

PDMChubby posted:

I think Sauna is exactly what you want.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124394/

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

PDMChubby posted:

It's in Norway but the main character moved there from Sweden!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

magpie posted:

The French Connection is pretty much the ultimate "police action with intense chase sequence" film.

William Friedkin attempted to outdo himself in the chase sequence aspect with To Live And Die In L.A., which isn't bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

PDMChubby posted:

Yes to Oldboy, but it's not quite the feel I'm looking for despite being a dark, brooding, isolated thriller.

It's hard to articulate exactly what I want, I guess. I like the calm and the quiet of the snowy Swedish environment with that darkness and tension lurking just beneath the surface. I think Oldboy's tone is more straightforward and consistent, whereas Let the Right One In and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo are more atmospheric and calm until the tension periodically climaxes, then they return to slow and quiet -- it's like the film equivalent of the Pixies.

For instance, most scenes in LTROI consist of the two kids talking in the courtyard or something relaxed, but then every so often someone will be killed or burst into flames or get attacked, etc.

I'm probably being too specific and picky, though.
That's a good point. I haven't seen Dragon Tattoo, but I agree what LTROI definitely downplayed the suspense, almost like a documentary. Have you seen Valhalla Rising or Melancholia?

• Locked thread