Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

change my name posted:

Already looked here, I don't want mardi gras paper

The red and blue ones don't really strike me as having a Mardi Gras theme at all. The red one is even kind of Christmasy in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Can someone link the .pls file for the sky.fm bebop jazz channel? I'm on a tablet and I can't get to it, but I'd like to use it instead of the built in flash channel. Thanks so much! :)

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

the posted:

Can someone link the .pls file for the sky.fm bebop jazz channel? I'm on a tablet and I can't get to it, but I'd like to use it instead of the built in flash channel. Thanks so much! :)

Do you need a premium account to get the pls links? I just get a popup window that plays through my browser. Doesn't seem to be flash-based, though.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Pweller posted:

Early Michael Mann, The Keep
I love you :swoon:

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Why does the media say things like there are only 4 "shopping days left" until Christmas? Isn't it just 4 normal days? Is it just propaganda to buy buy buy consume?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

stubblyhead posted:

Do you need a premium account to get the pls links? I just get a popup window that plays through my browser. Doesn't seem to be flash-based, though.

No, you don't. If you get the flash popup, there's a little gear icon next to the volume. Clicking that will show options for the type of stream you want, and you can choose "Winamp/Itunes/VLC," which should then connect you to a PLS file.

The problem is that going through those menus doesn't work on my tablet :-/

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Melonhead posted:

Why does the media say things like there are only 4 "shopping days left" until Christmas? Isn't it just 4 normal days? Is it just propaganda to buy buy buy consume?
Its pretty much to induce panic about how much shopping you've gotten done and to get people back into stores to buy more stuff.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Melonhead posted:

Why does the media say things like there are only 4 "shopping days left" until Christmas? Isn't it just 4 normal days?

This year it happens to be, but if Christmas falls on, say, a Tuesday then today there would be 3 shopping days and 5 actual days left.

quote:

Is it just propaganda to buy buy buy consume?

Yes.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

This year it happens to be, but if Christmas falls on, say, a Tuesday then today there would be 3 shopping days and 5 actual days left.

I don't follow. Stores are still open on Sundays and on Christmas Eve.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I imagine it's a holdover from when stores used to close at night/on Sundays

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Anyone read Chinese? How do I make this soup?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

the posted:

No, you don't. If you get the flash popup, there's a little gear icon next to the volume. Clicking that will show options for the type of stream you want, and you can choose "Winamp/Itunes/VLC," which should then connect you to a PLS file.

The problem is that going through those menus doesn't work on my tablet :-/

Don't know if you still need it, but here you go:

http://listen.sky.fm/webplayer/bebop.pls

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Anyone read Chinese? How do I make this soup?

If you don't get an answer here, you might try the Chinese thread.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
edit: nevermind I found the right thread to ask this in.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 22, 2011

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
I have a pair of Rayban sunglasses, but the "arms" are a bit too short - they kind of sit angles on my ears rather than straight, and they're too short for me to keep up on the top of my head as I sometimes do. Is there a way to get longer arms installed? Is this something I can do at a sunglasses store, or through Rayban directly? Or should I just go to a glasses repair shop?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

RFX posted:

I have a pair of Rayban sunglasses, but the "arms" are a bit too short - they kind of sit angles on my ears rather than straight, and they're too short for me to keep up on the top of my head as I sometimes do. Is there a way to get longer arms installed? Is this something I can do at a sunglasses store, or through Rayban directly? Or should I just go to a glasses repair shop?

An optician would probably be able to put longer temples on (that is what they are called btw), but they are probably not going to match what you've got and may not look good as a result. If it's just a little bit too short, then you may be able to bend the piece that goes behind your ear; an optician can probably do that for you too. If you need longer temples and want them to match though, I imagine you'll have to go to a shop that sells Ray-Bans. You may not be able to get parts directly from them as an individual.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Kind of an odd one, but can anybody tell me what genre/type of book I'm thinking of? They had a simple plot to them, and it was completely linear, but each page had a bunch of stuff to do on it. "The evil wizard trapped you can you find all 7 keys to escape?" type stuff. Find the path through the Canyons of Woe! They were really beautifully illustrated for the most part. A glorified Where's Waldo, but I really enjoyed those books as a kid.

I remember one book in particular, it had 3 separate stories in it. One was about fighting a dragon I think, the other had a wizard that could shapeshift? Last one was something about aliens?

I think my little brother would absolutely love something like those for Christmas, but I don't even know where to start when it comes to finding one.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 22, 2011

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

GenericOverusedName posted:

Kind of an odd one, but can anybody tell me what genre/type of book I'm thinking of? They had a simple plot to them, and it was completely linear, but each page had a bunch of stuff to do on it. "The evil wizard trapped you can you find all 7 keys to escape?" type stuff. Find the path through the Canyons of Woe! They were really beautifully illustrated for the most part. A glorified Where's Waldo, but I really enjoyed those books as a kid.

I remember one book in particular, it had 3 separate stories in it. One was about fighting a dragon I think, the other had a wizard that could shapeshift? I can't remember the last one, though.

I think my little brother would absolutely love something like those for Christmas, but I don't even know where to start when it comes to finding one.

CYOAs or Choose your Own Adventure. It might be called "Fighting Fantasy" or something like that. Try a second hand book store.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
But the CYOA's I've seen are all text-based. These books were more focused on the illustrations, if that makes any sense. Great big glossy illustrations. And it was completely linear.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 22, 2011

Danny Bro Pty Ltd
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Got another question here.

Over a decade ago, I was asleep at night. I was awoken by something odd. I walked outside, and saw the strengest thing I've ever seen in my life.

The night sky was flashing jade every few seconds. The entire thing. No sound, nothing. Just flashes. My father wondered what was happening, and said that it was a massive thunderstorm out at sea. But we were about 80 kilometres, perhaps more, inland.

I've never experienced this before. I was in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales, Australia. Does anyone know what I experienced?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Danny Bro Pty Ltd posted:

Got another question here.

Over a decade ago, I was asleep at night. I was awoken by something odd. I walked outside, and saw the strengest thing I've ever seen in my life.

The night sky was flashing jade every few seconds. The entire thing. No sound, nothing. Just flashes. My father wondered what was happening, and said that it was a massive thunderstorm out at sea. But we were about 80 kilometres, perhaps more, inland.

I've never experienced this before. I was in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales, Australia. Does anyone know what I experienced?

You might have been seeing a bit of the Aurora Australis.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Sounds like aurora to me, but I don't think it extends that far north usually. Wiki says that solar storms/flares can make them extend farther towards the equator. Do you know the year it happened?

Danny Bro Pty Ltd
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GenericOverusedName posted:

Sounds like aurora to me, but I don't think it extends that far north usually. Wiki says that solar storms/flares can make them extend farther towards the equator. Do you know the year it happened?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say... between 2002 and 2004. It was when my parents were still married but before we moved, and before my father when to Saudi Arabia. That's as close as I can remember.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Danny Bro Pty Ltd posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say... between 2002 and 2004. It was when my parents were still married but before we moved, and before my father when to Saudi Arabia. That's as close as I can remember.

That period of time was at the high point of the sunspot cycle, so it very well could have been aurora. Or aliens :tinfoil:

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

You can see the aurora at the equator but its very very very unlikely.

Being in the southern highlands you were far enough from city lights that you increased the chances of seeing it. But that would have to be very rare.

The fact its jade makes me think that is quite likely the aurora. Was it a flash like lighting or a pulsing like the aurora might be?

Check youtube for some examples and try and find some news articles about it. If it was an aurora then you can bet it was reported considering it was in NSW.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

stubblyhead posted:

Don't know if you still need it, but here you go:

http://listen.sky.fm/webplayer/bebop.pls

worked, thanks :)

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fists Up posted:

You can see the aurora at the equator but its very very very unlikely.

New South Wales (or Australia for that matter) is no where near the equator.

Apart from the aurora, could it have been Heat lightning?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

brylcreem posted:

New South Wales (or Australia for that matter) is no where near the equator.

I think his point was that NSW isn't too far north to see them.

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh
I'm looking to find one of those stores that sells all sorts of science-y (educational?) toys and gadgets. The kind of store where you always see someone playing with one of those expanding spheres. I have no idea of store names or even if that's a good way to describe it. Anyone know any names of these stores that I might find in Canada? I'm in the GTA (Mississauga specifically).

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Marf Revus posted:

I'm looking to find one of those stores that sells all sorts of science-y (educational?) toys and gadgets. The kind of store where you always see someone playing with one of those expanding spheres. I have no idea of store names or even if that's a good way to describe it. Anyone know any names of these stores that I might find in Canada? I'm in the GTA (Mississauga specifically).

There is a Mastermind in Mississauga. I think this is the sphere you mentioned.
http://www.mastermindtoys.com/Hoberman-Mini-Sphere.aspx

Or Efston Science, right beside Yorkdale Mall.
http://www.escience.ca/

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Are there any active threads that talk about kimono/hakama fashion?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 22, 2011

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is there any active threads that talk about kimono/hakama fashion?

I doubt it, but IIRC Reverend Cheddar from the Japan thread works in Japanese fashion stuff, so may have resources for you.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is there any active threads that talk about kimono/hakama fashion?

'Is there any'? Might want to check out the grammar thread before anything else.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

What's the website for the comic where characters are drawn something like this:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

marshmallard posted:

'Is there any'? Might want to check out the grammar thread before anything else.

Corrected, although I may not be from the same country as you.

Thanks helopticor.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

If you eat something that makes you sick, does it matter how much you ate?

I'm talking in the context of spoiled meat or something, if you 5 bad hotdogs would that be as bad as eating half of one spoiled one?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

It would appear that my xbox live account was hacked. I haven't done anything I can think of that would have me giving it's password out, but the 'how' isn't my concern at the moment.

Thankfully I never added bank information to my account, so I don't have to deal with halting transactions and that kind of thing. Unfortunately, my standing balance of MSP has been spent on some retarded items I don't want. They also changed my password.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to contact Microsoft about this. There's nothing about reporting fraud in their help center, I can't find a phone number, and I have no idea what steps I can take from here.

For the record, I did change my password to something new I know, and I noticed when I was going to that they had added another e-mail to my account so it would get the password change request too. I worked around that by having the reset link sent to a specific non-linked e-mail so they wouldn't get it.

Edit: Apparently I have to call their support number and start an investigation. Dandy.

Nighthand fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 22, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I have over 200 PDF files that need editing. I just want to add pages to them.

Does anyone know an easily solution for this?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
On the Little Feat album "Chinese Work Songs," who's the female vocalist? She does leads on Bed of Roses and a lot of backups on Just Another Sunday at least. The entry on Allmusic doesn't list the full personnel, and the Wikipedia article lists regular band members (all men), and a few guest musicians (also all men).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
There was a website that gave a lot of freeware programs for people who just got new computers and you could download them all in a bundle, anyone know what I'm talking about, where I could find it?