Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Maker Of Shoes posted:

CM7 is a better ROM but I got sick of the 8 hours of battery life. I definitely like this better than stock 2.3 Sense though. Pretty nice for an initial alpha release.

Try Reverted AOSP. I got excellent battery life on my Sensation with it. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1321556

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mark Larson posted:

Other than being on ICS, what other daily driver improvements do you notice in ICS vs Gingerbread that lead you to favor ICS unless you need the camera?

Does face unlock work? I'd ask if the camera is faster but.. heh heh. :v:

I'm just a geek who likes new toys, so I run the latest and greatest software anywhere I can when it doesn't interfere with what I need it for.

As for actual improvements, the launcher is as good as LP as far as I'm concerned and the UI updates on the rest of the Google apps have been 100% good as far as I'm concerned so far.

No go on face unlock, as noted no camera = no face unlock.

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Issues I've found so far:
- Swiping gestures are off a hair.
- WIFI works fine but sometimes the notification shows no signal.
- BT works but A2DP doesn't.
- Defininetly not CM fast but I don't have any complaints.

CM7 is a better ROM but I got sick of the 8 hours of battery life. I definitely like this better than stock 2.3 Sense though. Pretty nice for an initial alpha release.

Haven't had any reboots or a single FC of any kind.

Is CM7 supposed to give you bad battery life in general, or just on your phone? Since I put it on my nexus s a few days ago (didn't wanna mess around with ICS since I have the i9020a model), and it seems like battery life has improved. Sitting at 51% after a normal day's use.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
If I used Titanium Backup to freeze bloatware on my Droid Razr do I need to unfreeze them before I install the OTA update?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Using MIUI on my Evo and I want to move some apps over on my sd card. I grabbed apps2sd and it keeps telling me I have no space to move anything over. What can I do to fix this? Help please, thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rearadmiral.rowboat posted:

Is CM7 supposed to give you bad battery life in general, or just on your phone? Since I put it on my nexus s a few days ago (didn't wanna mess around with ICS since I have the i9020a model), and it seems like battery life has improved. Sitting at 51% after a normal day's use.
CM7 is so broken on the Nexus S I can't imagine why you'd choose it over ICS.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
never mind

ModestMuse fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 23, 2011

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know what the Windows Phone 7 font is called? I found a winpho7 MIUI themed build for G2 and while I really dig the font, I don't think I'll adjust very well to "Launcher 7" and the inconsistent color scheme.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

THF13 posted:

If I used Titanium Backup to freeze bloatware on my Droid Razr do I need to unfreeze them before I install the OTA update?

Correct. The magic of carrier upgrades!

Slopehead posted:

Does anyone know what the Windows Phone 7 font is called? I found a winpho7 MIUI themed build for G2 and while I really dig the font, I don't think I'll adjust very well to "Launcher 7" and the inconsistent color scheme.

Google "Windows Phone 7 font"

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Think it's called Zegoe

Edit: the wp7 font i mean

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

THF13 posted:

Yep, even if you avoid the OTA, it would fail because motorola.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

THF13 posted:

You might will lose root if you care about that.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Yea, if you wait a bit someone will probably release a rooted version.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

THF13 posted:

if you want. You can always re-root. I didn't unfreeze, and i was able to do the OTA, and root again without issue.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Codiusprime posted:

Yea, if you wait a bit someone will probably release a rooted version.

How would the rooted version be applied? Is there a 2nd init recovery kind of deal for the Droid Razr?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Mark Larson posted:

How would the rooted version be applied? Is there a 2nd init recovery kind of deal for the Droid Razr?

If it's anything like moto's other recent phones, you can hold a volume button to allow you to flash firmware before booting.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
To anyone in the same circumstances I recommend unfreezing everything, applying the update, re applying root, and then refreezing the bloatware.

Now on the updated version, with root and with all the bloatware frozen and out of the way.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Leathal posted:

Think it's called Zegoe

Edit: the wp7 font i mean

Spelling's close: Segoe UI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segoe#Segoe_UI

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

thisdude23 posted:

Using MIUI on my Evo and I want to move some apps over on my sd card. I grabbed apps2sd and it keeps telling me I have no space to move anything over. What can I do to fix this? Help please, thanks.

Does MIUI break the normal Android move to SD function or are you trying to move an app that disables that feature? If neither of those, you don't need apps2sd.

Anyways, I think a2sd requires you to set up a second partition on your SD card formatted with a filesystem that actually supports *nix permissions for its use.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Well, I installed a release canidate of CM7 on my Atrix, and it's really slick. I like it a lot more than the other custom roms I've used on this, and it even has a fancier fingerprint unlock, where I can add more than just two fingers. It does seem to have some slight problems though, mostly that the screen doesn't always want to stay off when it's locked, and it lags a little when I open an app that has a list.

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

CM7 is so broken on the Nexus S I can't imagine why you'd choose it over ICS.

What's broken on it and what other roms are better? Everything worked for me, and it's much smoother than the stock that was running. I don't wanna listen to some chumps instructions for putting ICS on my phone and ruining the radio...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

What's broken on it and what other roms are better? Everything worked for me, and it's much smoother than the stock that was running. I don't wanna listen to some chumps instructions for putting ICS on my phone and ruining the radio...
You will get random reboots where the phone doesn't boot up, it sticks at the CM7 logo and the screen goes dim. Those might be solved, but what certainly isn't are sleep comas where the phone is just dead requiring a battery pull.

As for what's better? ICS is a lot better than anything out there right now but if you're still hesitant to figure it out, Oxygen ROM offers a few CM7 niceties (like the notification power widget and statusbar tweaks) and it's stable. BLN doesn't work but if you replace the kernel and use BLN Control from the Market it will work fine. I used the Matrix kernel, but Netarchy's is good too.

I'd really strongly advise you to go to ICS stock though. It's as easy going to stock, flashing the update, and then pushing a custom recovery and flashing the correct radio (which you should know by looking at the one you've got now that works). Make sure you have the new Superuser to flash as well. The whole process took less than five minutes and it makes a world of difference in terms of speed on the phone. No decent kernels to enable Voodoo/BLN/CPU OC/UV though.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

I've got an ICS rom floating around from my brief foray into rooting that's the stock rom with an AT&T radio that can be flashed through ROM Manager. If not for the fact that I had to send NS in for warranty service, I'd still be using it.

Let me see if I can dredge it up and host it somewhere.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Elliotw2 posted:

Well, I installed a release canidate of CM7 on my Atrix, and it's really slick. I like it a lot more than the other custom roms I've used on this, and it even has a fancier fingerprint unlock, where I can add more than just two fingers. It does seem to have some slight problems though, mostly that the screen doesn't always want to stay off when it's locked, and it lags a little when I open an app that has a list.

Nice to see another Atrix owner on here, I'm running CM7 too. The expanded fingerprint thing is really nice, I actually used it to register someone else's fingerprints in case of emergency. Anyway, you might be pleased to hear (I know I was) that the atrix dev team is reportedly hard at work on a build of CM9 for the Atrix, and although there's no ETA on it, it sounds like it's not too far off.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Manky posted:

Nice to see another Atrix owner on here, I'm running CM7 too. The expanded fingerprint thing is really nice, I actually used it to register someone else's fingerprints in case of emergency. Anyway, you might be pleased to hear (I know I was) that the atrix dev team is reportedly hard at work on a build of CM9 for the Atrix, and although there's no ETA on it, it sounds like it's not too far off.

A weird thing that I noticed with it is that the fingerprint sensor world as a track ball now. It is surprisingly useful for reading with one hand.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Sensation ICS roms on XDA are out of control. As soon as a sense-based ruu was leaked, everyone and their dog are baking up fresh rom's, many of which just include grafting in their own boot animations or cramming 'beats' into it.

Out of all of them, this is my favorite, the "Ultimite [sic] rom". Some guy posts about his rom almost 24 hours before it's uploaded, and the thread gets to 175 posts before the rom is even uploaded. One of the first guys to try it realizes that the 'chef' was so wrapped up in his work, he managed to even strip the keyboard out.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1406322

I'm waiting until next year to try an ICS rom. Too much rushed garbage out there.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Civil posted:

Sensation ICS roms on XDA are out of control. As soon as a sense-based ruu was leaked, everyone and their dog are baking up fresh rom's, many of which just include grafting in their own boot animations or cramming 'beats' into it.

Out of all of them, this is my favorite, the "Ultimite [sic] rom". Some guy posts about his rom almost 24 hours before it's uploaded, and the thread gets to 175 posts before the rom is even uploaded. One of the first guys to try it realizes that the 'chef' was so wrapped up in his work, he managed to even strip the keyboard out.

I'm waiting until next year to try an ICS rom. Too much rushed garbage out there.

This is kinda interesting, since the Atrix subforum made it against the rules to rush out roms like that. They have banned people and closed threads of people who've done that.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Smart policy. A little quality control would go a long way toward cleaning up the mess.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Civil posted:

The best part is that nobody is reacting with "What the hell dude, slow down and get this right", but rather "So how and what files should I push to get my keyboard/status bar/dialer back?"

edit: some people don't have contacts either? And they're blaming these problems on having flashed the gapps package? Wow...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Civil posted:

Remember the .1 days of CyanogenMod? :v:

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

You will get random reboots where the phone doesn't boot up, it sticks at the CM7 logo and the screen goes dim. Those might be solved, but what certainly isn't are sleep comas where the phone is just dead requiring a battery pull.
Haven't had any of these issues but I've only had it for a couple of weeks.

quote:

As for what's better? ICS is a lot better than anything out there right now but if you're still hesitant to figure it out, Oxygen ROM offers a few CM7 niceties (like the notification power widget and statusbar tweaks) and it's stable. BLN doesn't work but if you replace the kernel and use BLN Control from the Market it will work fine. I used the Matrix kernel, but Netarchy's is good too.

I'd really strongly advise you to go to ICS stock though. It's as easy going to stock, flashing the update, and then pushing a custom recovery and flashing the correct radio (which you should know by looking at the one you've got now that works). Make sure you have the new Superuser to flash as well. The whole process took less than five minutes and it makes a world of difference in terms of speed on the phone. No decent kernels to enable Voodoo/BLN/CPU OC/UV though.

I wanted to try stock ICS but the OP says this,

quote:

A note about radios: If you decide to manually flash a radio, read this. If you flash the same radio version twice you can brick your phone. If you flash a radio that is incompatible with your phone, you can brick it. Be very very very careful when flashing radios; you usually don't have to so leave it alone.
and I've seen it repeated other places, so I was nervous about that part. I don't really want to mess around with the radio unless I know beforehand that I can fix it if I mess up (like I can with installing a new ROM). What's the deal with flashing radios, and can you fix it?

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

LastInLine posted:

You will get random reboots where the phone doesn't boot up, it sticks at the CM7 logo and the screen goes dim. Those might be solved, but what certainly isn't are sleep comas where the phone is just dead requiring a battery pull

It's funny, your entire post almost completely describes my 8 or so months with the phone. It's amazing how badly the Nexus S has been supported for a *Google* phone. The dev scene was/is awesome with the Nexus One.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

wolrah posted:

Does MIUI break the normal Android move to SD function or are you trying to move an app that disables that feature? If neither of those, you don't need apps2sd.

Anyways, I think a2sd requires you to set up a second partition on your SD card formatted with a filesystem that actually supports *nix permissions for its use.

It just won't let me move apps, even after I created a partition. Oh well, time to backup and start over. Thanks for the help though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Remember the .1 days of CyanogenMod? :v:

You just gave me a PTSD flashback thanks.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

You just gave me a PTSD flashback thanks.

How bad was it? I didn't even use android until CM5 was out and CM6 was right around the corner.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Civil posted:

How bad was it? I didn't even use android until CM5 was out and CM6 was right around the corner.

OP: CM version X released! Enjoy!
OP + 5 minutes: Whoops it doesn't boot. Fixed. X.0.1
OP + 15 minutes: Errrrr, forgot to package VeryImportantApp.apk. Fixed. X.0.2
OP + 8 hours: Hrmmm....not sure why people are having problems with Y, don't even use Y. Fixed. X.0.3

Rinse, repeat.

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

and I've seen it repeated other places, so I was nervous about that part. I don't really want to mess around with the radio unless I know beforehand that I can fix it if I mess up (like I can with installing a new ROM). What's the deal with flashing radios, and can you fix it?

For example, this guide has me downloading the UCKE1 radio, but my phone right now has the UCKF1 radio. Why does the guide have me download a (presumably) older version of the radio?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Swype has a new beta with a clever predictive engine in it that I'd like to try out, but beta.swype.com says: "If your phone came pre-installed with Swype DO NOT download this beta (it won't work)."

Can I use Titanium Backup to rip preinstalled Swype from my Tmo SGSII and get this?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Zero VGS posted:

Swype has a new beta with a clever predictive engine in it that I'd like to try out, but beta.swype.com says: "If your phone came pre-installed with Swype DO NOT download this beta (it won't work)."

Can I use Titanium Backup to rip preinstalled Swype from my Tmo SGSII and get this?
Yeah but you'll have to use more than TB - you need to delete /system/app/Swype.apk as well as /system/lib/libSwypeCore.so (may also have a version # in the name) and then reboot. After that you should be able to install the beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, thanks. I removed the two things you told me first and the Swype Beta force closed, so I used Titanium Backup to clear the data of the Swype Beta and reinstalled it then I was good to go.