Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I like orange, so I'm ok with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Thermopyle, I tried installing Woofi on my ATT SGS2 (running CM7) and it said it's incompatible. Do you have an APK that I can sideload or something?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
His latest beta from his blog is here

http://woofi.contriving.net/2011/08/beta-update-1-8beta3/

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

No Ticket posted:

Has anyone else experienced ICS crashing due to Pocket Casts? It's getting really aggravating.

Email the devs. They are pretty responsive.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Goddamit, Swype. I reinstalled it yesterday on a whim to see if they fixed some of my problems with it, and they did. My one complaint left was that the space bar was kind of small which sucks for when I DO need to tap-type. I can adapt though.

Then right after I install they update and...the space bar is even SMALLER. gently caress dedicated smiley keys.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anybody else having trouble with the new Market? Clicking on an app is an instant FC on my Nexus S. Tried clearing cache and data, uninstalling updates and reinstalling, rebooting, nothing works. :(

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Are there any apps that would let me boost the vibration strength on my Galaxy Nexus? I hardly ever use tones or ringtones on my phone and its vibrations are often too weak for me to notice which means I've been missing a bunch of stuff.

Jobarr
Aug 12, 2000

SplitSoul posted:

Anybody else having trouble with the new Market? Clicking on an app is an instant FC on my Nexus S. Tried clearing cache and data, uninstalling updates and reinstalling, rebooting, nothing works. :(

Which version do you have? Tried installing 3.4.4?

Panick39
Aug 29, 2009
Just got an e-mail about the EA sale. A lot of their android apps are really cheap, http://goo.gl/Nl6C7

Any good deals? Any goon favorite games are on special?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Living Vicariously posted:

Goddamit, Swype. I reinstalled it yesterday on a whim to see if they fixed some of my problems with it, and they did. My one complaint left was that the space bar was kind of small which sucks for when I DO need to tap-type. I can adapt though.

Then right after I install they update and...the space bar is even SMALLER. gently caress dedicated smiley keys.

It's a dumb smiley too.

I keep switching back and forth between Swype and Slide It. The space bar is bigger in Slide It, if you want to try that out. I really wish either of these had a punctuation key more like the stock keyboard where a long press would bring up all the common ones.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How do I know what all Google Maps (or Navigation) has cached? I'll be driving from Whistler to the Vancouver Airport tomorrow, and it'd be nice to know that I can rely on Maps/Navigation. I've checked out the route with my phone already.

Hologram
Nov 2, 2006

:chillpill:

hooah posted:

How do I know what all Google Maps (or Navigation) has cached? I'll be driving from Whistler to the Vancouver Airport tomorrow, and it'd be nice to know that I can rely on Maps/Navigation. I've checked out the route with my phone already.

A black square is drawn around the cached area. Remember that navigation won't work if you are in a dead zone even if you have maps cached, as G-Nav relies on the network for routing. Have a safe trip.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Hologram posted:

A black square is drawn around the cached area. Remember that navigation won't work if you are in a dead zone even if you have maps cached, as G-Nav relies on the network for routing. Have a safe trip.

Huh? G-Nav uses the network for downloading map data, but once it's got it downloaded and cached, you only need a GPS lock to continue navigating, as long as you stay within the area that's cached.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Thanks to both of you. I wasn't aware it was a labs feature that you had to turn on. Once I did that it was pretty self-explanatory.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
What's the best media player for a CM7 Touchpad? I don't care about streaming so much as just playing local files, like on a plane.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

deong posted:

What's the best media player for a CM7 Touchpad? I don't care about streaming so much as just playing local files, like on a plane.

Video or audio? For audio, PowerAMP is popular, although apparently the interface is worse than AIDS or something? For video, MoboPlayer seems popular.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Penguissimo posted:

Video or audio? For audio, PowerAMP is popular, although apparently the interface is worse than AIDS or something? For video, MoboPlayer seems popular.

:hurr:
I was meaning video. Thanks.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
For like xvid/mkv/mpg etc playing I like MX player free (you need cm7 perm mgmt to deny internet to this one) or what I was using before that, older vers of QQplayer. Best things I think: you can do onscreen gestures for ff/rw, brightness and vol on either.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 22, 2011

Dec 4, 2004
I've got a Galaxy Nexus LTE with the stock version of Android (4.0.2). Apparently the default calendar widget does not display all day events. Is there a way to change this, or an alternative widget that integrates well with Google Calendar?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

6174 posted:

I've got a Galaxy Nexus LTE with the stock version of Android (4.0.2). Apparently the default calendar widget does not display all day events. Is there a way to change this, or an alternative widget that integrates well with Google Calendar?
Android Agenda Widget is great and customizable but I don't know if it scrolls on the ICS stock launcher. (It also does GTasks which I need.)

That LauncherPro widget replacement app would be good too but I don't know the name.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Jobarr posted:

Which version do you have? Tried installing 3.4.4?

That's the one that was recently pushed to my phone, yeah.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

That's the one that was recently pushed to my phone, yeah.
3.4.4 works fine on the girl's Nexus S running ICS. Has it never worked or is this recent?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

LastInLine posted:

3.4.4 works fine on the girl's Nexus S running ICS. Has it never worked or is this recent?

It was this update, never had trouble with it before. I'm still on stock GB 2.3.4 and rooted, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

It was this update, never had trouble with it before. I'm still on stock GB 2.3.4 and rooted, though.
You could manually install 3.3.12 I suppose but 3.4.4 will just reappear not long after. As good a reason as any to move to ICS though. v :( v

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

LastInLine posted:

You could manually install 3.3.12 I suppose but 3.4.4 will just reappear not long after. As good a reason as any to move to ICS though. v :( v

Is there any way to keep the Market from updating meanwhile if I downgrade? (Also, do you have a link for a safe .apk for it?) I don't have the time to fiddle with ROMs and setting poo poo up again for a while.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

Is there any way to keep the Market from updating meanwhile if I downgrade? (Also, do you have a link for a safe .apk for it?) I don't have the time to fiddle with ROMs and setting poo poo up again for a while.
Market 3.3.12.

If you're on stock, upgrading to ICS doesn't require a wipe of any kind (you don't even have to fiddle with recovery). If I recall correctly you're in the UK and would need to reflash your radio.

Good luck!

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
Anyone know if you can install the Google Talk for ICS on a non-ICS phone? The ICS version allows you to change what Google account is used, and on the old version, you have to use the account you set the phone up with. Not really sure why, I think it's the only Google app that doesn't allow you to switch...

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

LastInLine posted:

Market 3.3.12.

If you're on stock, upgrading to ICS doesn't require a wipe of any kind (you don't even have to fiddle with recovery). If I recall correctly you're in the UK and would need to reflash your radio.

Good luck!

Thanks!

I'm in Denmark, actually, and I'm running the Lucid kernel also, would that make a difference?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

Thanks!

I'm in Denmark, actually, and I'm running the Lucid kernel also, would that make a difference?
With regards to the Market, no it shouldn't.

With regards to ICS, you wouldn't be able to use the version of Lucid you have and thus would lose battery optimization features (OC/UV, different governors, etc), BLN, and Voodoo. That said there does seem to be a stock ICS kernel with just Voodoo although I haven't tried it. Right now there are kernels out there with the extra features but it seems like the hardware acceleration is conspiring with existing battery modifications to produce rampant sleep comas so I'm holding off until the kinks get worked out.

As for the radio, I honestly don't know since I'm with T-Mobile but the easiest way to handle it would be to look at what radio you have now and this grab a copy to flash from the radio thread. Obviously I'd only do this near a computer with ADB/Fastboot ready in case you need to flash a recovery or move stuff onto the phone without a working radio handy.

Dec 4, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Android Agenda Widget is great and customizable but I don't know if it scrolls on the ICS stock launcher. (It also does GTasks which I need.)

That LauncherPro widget replacement app would be good too but I don't know the name.

This does exactly what I wanted. Thanks.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
On the topic of ICS on Nexus S, I'm really lovin' it. Not only do I feel like I have a new phone but it finally feels "polished." Pretty much everything, so far anyway, just works. I haven't even bothered to change from the stock launcher, although admittedly I wish I could reduce the number of screens (checked out Nova Launcher, didn't really give me anything I wanted over the stock launcher, at least in the current version).

Things I like:
  • Integrated Google Music. Touchscreen and notification controls, I was using Widget Locker so I could control my music more easily in the car, this is no longer necessary and I get the added bonus of album art. Also it has a back button!!! (The Google Music widget still, inexplicably, has no back button.)
  • Higher-def contact pics. It works across apps too, if I get an email in gmail that matches a contact it uses the nicer pic from my phone instead of whatever crappy profile pic the particular person may have. Purely aesthetic but nice.
  • Widget previews in the widget selector (Nova Launcher doesn't have this yet) although I guess not all widgets support it currently.
  • Stock folder support, you can even put a folder on the dock.
  • Stock resizable and scrollable widgets, don't remember if stock 2.3.x launchers did this though. Gmail and Google Voice widgets are actually usable instead of just acting as shortcuts to the app (although the Google Voice widget tends to go blank every once in a while).
  • Better Google Voice for calls. This is probably just my imagination but it seems to be more smoothly integrated. I use a Google Voice number as my primary number and couldn't care less about what my cell phone number is.
  • Noticeably better battery life.
  • Much smoother interface performance.
  • Drag and drop uninstall, once again I don't know if other stock launchers had this.
  • Homescreen grid when placing icons and widgets. Not really a huge deal but kinda nice to see exactly where a given item will drop and handy for resizing.

I've noticed that unless you have multiple messages the new email notification takes you right to the message instead of just to your inbox, not sure how I feel about that but not a big deal either way. The message preview for single messages is definitely nice. The stock notifications screen overall is pleasantly improved, iirc you had to go with custom roms to get any kind of transparency. The settings shortcut is interesting but not any less effort than using the menu shortcut, maybe it makes more sense on a Galaxy Nexus without the same capacitative buttons. It is handy if you ever want it while using a particular app. Someone mentioned not having power controls, I always ended up using a widget for that anyway so I can't comment.

It's worth mentioning that I wish I could get rid of the Google search widget at the top of every single screen, I've never understood that because the search button has exactly the same functionality but at least in ICS it's much less of an eyesore (you can remove it in Nova Launcher).

Overall this is the first time in Android I've felt comfortable with using stock everything.

landis fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 22, 2011

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Using Beautiful Widgets, is there a way to bring up the settings/options menu for a widget other then to drag a new one onto the home screen?

I ask, because every time I try to use the "today's date 2x1" widget it just dumps onto the screen without giving me the chance to change its transparency or font color.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ManMythLegend posted:

Using Beautiful Widgets, is there a way to bring up the settings/options menu for a widget other then to drag a new one onto the home screen?

I ask, because every time I try to use the "today's date 2x1" widget it just dumps onto the screen without giving me the chance to change its transparency or font color.

Open Beautiful Widgets from the app drawer.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime
For the Sense-style clocks, you should be able to tap Weather, hit Menu, and then Settings.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

SpacePig posted:

Open Beautiful Widgets from the app drawer.

This worked for me. I find that weird because it's exactly what I tried to do last night but every time I opened BW from the tray it just displayed some long screed of text about the app and nothing else. V:shobon:V Whatev, glad it works now. Thanks.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

ManMythLegend posted:

There is a setting in BW to make the numbers in the clock take you to BW settings as well, so if you use the clock that's another way to do it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So they still haven't updated Swype to work with the Galaxy Nexus? WTF.

Are there any apps that I can use to keep track of a website and let me know when there's an update?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

landis posted:

It's worth mentioning that I wish I could get rid of the Google search widget at the top of every single screen, I've never understood that because the search button has exactly the same functionality but at least in ICS it's much less of an eyesore (you can remove it in Nova Launcher).

If you disable Google Search in ICS, it will remove the search widget from all screens. However, I think it'll stop the Search button from working too and you'll just have to use Google.com when you want to search for something rather than the widget.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Any other Go Launcher EX users been having issues with your widgets getting duplicated? My Fancy Widgets and my toggle widget keep getting duplicated, so there's one on top of the other. I wouldn't be able to tell, but I use transparent skins and the duplicate doesn't update, so I can see them under the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Short of rooting, is there any way to change the icons ICS uses?

I tried the three big alternate launchers, but wasn't happy with any of them. I really like ICS's UI, I'm just not a huge fan of it's icon set.

• Locked thread