Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.
Trailer Park Boys - low budget Canadian comedy about a bunch of guys who live in a trailer park (never would have guessed from the title) and the poo poo they get into. I remembered seeing a thread for this on SA a while ago, and then I saw that it was on Instant and decided to give it a shot. At first I couldn't figure out what/why I was watching, but then it became one of my favorite shows of all time. Seriously. If you haven't seen it yet give it a shot - I binged through most of it in 2 days after having my wisdom teeth removed and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Philo posted:

Trailer Park Boys - low budget Canadian comedy about a bunch of guys who live in a trailer park (never would have guessed from the title) and the poo poo they get into. I remembered seeing a thread for this on SA a while ago, and then I saw that it was on Instant and decided to give it a shot. At first I couldn't figure out what/why I was watching, but then it became one of my favorite shows of all time. Seriously. If you haven't seen it yet give it a shot - I binged through most of it in 2 days after having my wisdom teeth removed and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I'm going to second this. The show is absolutely hilarious.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Flippycunt posted:

Agreed.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Flippycunt posted:

Go gently caress yourself

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Philo posted:

Its the Always Sunny of Canada. Look out for Bottle kids.

scottish
Nov 2, 2011

Not actually Scottish
Best Worst Movie, the documentary about Troll 2, is FINALLY streaming on Netflix. I heard it was going to be streaming all the way back in...February? And I've been waiting for it to come to instant since then.

It's a fantastic documentary and if you love lovely movies and the cults surrounding them, I highly recommend this.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I love documentaries, but I get burned out on the serious nature of most of them. Well, today I stumbled on How Beer Saved the World.

This movie is filled with anecdotal evidence that beer is the single greatest invention of all time. From the agricultural revolution, to the worlds first antibiotic, to the first credit system, beer has a long history of directing humanity. Very funny at parts, and the egyptologists/archeologists they bring out to discuss beer throughout history are well spoken and interesting. Definitely a must see.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

fenix down posted:

Go gently caress yourself

I hope they don't poo poo on you... the poo poo Hawks are comin' Bubbles. They're SWOOPIN' in. making GBS threads ON people... and dragging them off to the big poo poo nest.

Seriously stick with Trailer Park Boys. Season 1 is a pretty weak, but it becomes a god drat work of art.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also never ever ever ever ever watch the last season of Trailer Park Boys.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Zero Karizma posted:

I hope they don't poo poo on you... the poo poo Hawks are comin' Bubbles. They're SWOOPIN' in. making GBS threads ON people... and dragging them off to the big poo poo nest.

Seriously stick with Trailer Park Boys. Season 1 is a pretty weak, but it becomes a god drat work of art.

YANO WHAT I'M SAYING, YANO WHAT I'M SAYING!!!!

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

cheerfullydrab posted:

It REALLY loses something without Corey and Trevor, but it does have some fantastic drunken Lahey moments.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Zero Karizma posted:

The poo poo clock is tickin boys....

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Zero Karizma posted:

It REALLY loses something without Corey and Trevor, but it does have some fantastic drunken Lahey moments.

And that guy who wants to be Julian so badly. Also, the night-vision scenes might be some of the funniest ever on the show.

I dont have enough good things to say about the show. I remember watching it on a family trip about 8/9 years ago or so, and a family friend introduced us to the series which he had to buy from Amazon Canada, because they didn't sell it in the US.

I saw them do their live performance earlier this year and I thought it was loving great - at one point Julian sold hot dogs to the crowd. I got to Meet Rob Wells, John Paul Tremblay, & Mike Smith as well.

Also, I really think this show tackles gay/bisexual issues in seriously the best way possible.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Also there's just something about the Swayze express and Julian's hatred of Patrick Swayze that just makes so much sense. I do agree though that the show really seemed to fall apart at the end and was just missing something (apparently there's some interviews where they all explained it better).

I also watched Follow the Yellow Brick Road recently and it gave me a very mixed feeling. I'd say it's worth giving a shot but it reminded me a lot of the works of Junji Ito. Not a lot gets explained over the course of the movie and it has a very helpless feel to it, but if you're into found footage movies then it's worth your time.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

I just love how as the series goes on, you gradually realize that all the "poo poo" descriptions aren't just Lahey's dumb thing... it's something every single cop in town does.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Man, I hope I'm not the only one furiously adding new stuff to his Instant Queue from this thread. I just got done watching Pontypool. Amazing movie.

You are not. I've added 20+ movies from this thread.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Warning: if you start watching Breaking Bad on instant watch, that's all you'll use Netflix for until you run out of episodes.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

maxnmona posted:

Warning: if you start watching Breaking Bad on instant watch, that's all you'll use Netflix for until you run out of episodes.

True, and then you get fever shakes when you realize there's a fourth season not on instant watch.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

big business sloth posted:

True, and then you get fever shakes when you realize there's a fourth season not on instant watch.

Yeah, I immediately spent $20 to buy season 4 on Amazon Streaming.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
Even if you're not a huge fan of Formula One, I've gotta recommend Senna:

Netflix posted:

This fast-paced documentary profiles Ayrton Senna, one of the greatest drivers in the history of Formula One racing, and a hero in his native Brazil. Using only archival footage, director Asif Kapadia examines the idealistic Senna's inspiring legend. Charismatic, compassionate and a dedicated risk-taker, Senna was known for his integrity in a sport often fraught with cutthroat politics, and also for the deep religious faith that gave him purpose.

The documentary is completely bonkers, both in the sense of how intense F1 driving is and just how banzai of a driver Senna was. I just got done watching it myself, and I greatly enjoyed it--as have others.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

zgrowler2 posted:

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Very dark, provoking Korean film, part of a trilogy with Oldboy and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. Ryu, a Korean worker, attempts to negotiate a kidney transplant for his dying sister. Things happen. Sequential violence ensues.

Seconding the Downfall recommendation earlier in the thread. Excellent historical movie.
Not much of a spoiler since you find out like 5 minutes into the movie, but the character the film follows most (Ryu) is deaf and dumb. The reason I mention this is that the cinematography has many deliberate very wide shots, which helps to increase disconnect between the audience and Ryu. This is deliberate.

And, of course, as with any movie in the Vengeance trilogy, remember that the vengeance is not always coming from the direction you think it it.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Petr posted:

I have no idea if it's new, but Stephen Fry in America came up a few days ago in my recommended list, and I marathoned it. It's amazing. Six one-hour episodes of Stephen Fry, Official British National Treasure (tm), making his way across every state in the nation. I'm American, and I would call this series life-changing. It really opened my eyes to what I have available to me as an American, and I've already begun making plans for my life based on what I saw. If you're an American, you'll love his reactions to cultural differences he encounters, and if you're not, it will maybe give you a better perspective on what America is all about than Fox News and GBS.

Edit: I just want to say that I've been fairly depressed about the state of my nation and it's politics. This series really gave me hope for the future of my nation, regardless of what happens politically. If you've been reading too much D&D, and you're down about our chances, this series is the perfect antidote. It's not really patriotic or jingoistic, since it's all told from the perspective of an Englishman, but it's incredible to see the diversity and adaptability of American culture through so many different settings.
I kind of wanted to watch this but I'm also really apprehensive because it seems like it'd be a feel good fluff series where a guy with a great accent poses mildly provocative questions to Appalachians like how do you survive without health insurance etc. Theres no way he drives around in a refitted British Taxi asking people why they loving love authority so much and how they stand for all the million different things which are lovely about this country. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't see the purpose in it and his good nature and manners would just piss me off. Perhaps I should just watch it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a good natured show and he's friendly with everyone. There's a scene where he goes to a college football game and starts crying because it's so beautiful. He snubs Miami though and says that place is terrible.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 25, 2011

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Priss In Plate posted:

Even if you're not a huge fan of Formula One, I've gotta recommend Senna:

The documentary is completely bonkers, both in the sense of how intense F1 driving is and just how banzai of a driver Senna was. I just got done watching it myself, and I greatly enjoyed it--as have others.

Saw this in a theatre here in LA and was fantastic enough for me to go back, get all my friends and drag them back to see it, I cannot recommend this enough.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

cargo cult posted:

I kind of wanted to watch this but I'm also really apprehensive because it seems like it'd be a feel good fluff series where a guy with a great accent poses mildly provocative questions to Appalachians like how do you survive without health insurance etc. Theres no way he drives around in a refitted British Taxi asking people why they loving love authority so much and how they stand for all the million different things which are lovely about this country. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't see the purpose in it and his good nature and manners would just piss me off. Perhaps I should just watch it

Dude its not a hard hitting documentary on America. It's just Stephen Fry doing a tourist trip to the US and looking at interesting poo poo.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Kneecaps posted:

Motherfucking Troll Hunter, bitches. It's a Norwegian faux-documentary like District 9 about a guy who hunts trolls for the Norweigan government. It sounds completely ludicrous but it's the best movie I've seen this year. It's not some lame-o low budget B movie that's "so bad it's good". It was seriously enjoyable.

Want to give you a manhug for suggesting this. I loving love Troll Hunter. Just finished watching it. Would there be any more movies like this? I'm in the mood for some scary/horror stuff, maybe some weird faux documentaries.

edit: Wanna visit Norway. So pretty.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Just finished my week long binge which consisted of me finishing up the last 3 seasons of Star Trek : Deep Space Nine and all of Breaking Bad :stare:... Holy gently caress that was awesome and I wholeheartedly recommend both of the shows highly. I'm in the mood for some nice drama preferably a sci-fi one(Ive already watched BSG and Caprica). I've heard some people mention Charlie Jade but Im open to more suggestions. Even though its been on Netflix for a while I'd like to recommend Trigun its a nice offbeat western style anime with a nice mix of action, comedy, and even some sci-fi mixed in there

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DS9 is so good. I can rewatch Duet, The Visitor, and The Magnificent Ferengi over and over. Charlie Jade is pretty good but it also frustratingly ends on a cliffhanger. I'd also say the first 5-6 episodes sort of suck with really annoying editing. They replaced the producers after that and it got much better.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

cargo cult posted:

Heaven forbid somebody do a documentary on a vast, incredibly varied nation without just talking about authoritarianism the entire time and weeping. Constantly immersing yourself in that kind of political speech will just make you a really depressed an angry person, even if it is warranted.

It's a fantastic series, and it definitely will make you look at the US in a different way. Just the first episode, showing New England and Upstate New York blew me away with how little I've actually seen of the place where I was born and grew up.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 26, 2011

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hard Target is my favorite Van Damme movie, but it transcends that faint praise into an actual badass, entertaining, ridiculous action movie. It's John Woo's first American movie, and it has Van Damme with a mullet, essentially starring in The Most Dangerous Game in New Orleans. Plus, the bad guys are Lance Hendricksen and Arnold Vosloo, so what's not to love?

Just to make it more clear, this is the movie where this image comes from:

And the end fight is ridiculous, with the best ending ever written. WHOOOP! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPeOf4JIMSg&t=9m24s

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Heads up a ton of good stuff expires January 1st, instant watcher has a good list: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/expiring

Some classics to catch now if you haven't seen them:
Clockwork Orange
Raging Bull
Network
Dog Day Afternoon

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Behind the Mask: The rise and fall of leslie vernon was awesome, I loved the poo poo out of that. Troll Hunter is awesome too. In the mood for more stuff like that, any suggestions? Might have to watch Blair Witch again, haven't seen that since it came out in theaters.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
not sure if Peepshow has been mentioned....but that's definetely a binge show, finally got through all seven seasons recently

Super Hans is the tits

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Bash Ironfist posted:

Behind the Mask: The rise and fall of leslie vernon was awesome, I loved the poo poo out of that. Troll Hunter is awesome too. In the mood for more stuff like that, any suggestions? Might have to watch Blair Witch again, haven't seen that since it came out in theaters.

It looks like Tucker and Dale vs Evil is gonna hit instant streaming on 12/29. That should be right up your alley.

I also noticed that 11-11-11 is gonna be on streaming soon as well. Is that the fastest a movie has gone from theaters to streaming?

edit: While its not on instant streaming, if you liked Troll Hunter, you'd love Rare Exports.

foodfight fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 27, 2011

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

foodfight posted:

It looks like Tucker and Dale vs Evil is gonna hit instant streaming on 12/29. That should be right up your alley.

I also noticed that 11-11-11 is gonna be on streaming soon as well. Is that the fastest a movie has gone from theaters to streaming?

edit: While its not on instant streaming, if you liked Troll Hunter, you'd love Rare Exports.

I've been checking every couple months to see if Rare Exports pops up, it seems like it should be right up Netflix's alley in terms of oddball foreign films.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

cheerfullydrab posted:

When I heard there was going to be a 7th season I was excited, but now I wish there was no 7th season. And what the actors who played Cory and Trevor said about the guys on set wasn't very flattering. Oh, and if they're available the Xmas Special and the set up special for the second movie are okay.

They did another show recently, The Drunk and on Drugs Fun Time Happy Hour. It wasn't very good.

Also, bonus John Dunsworth defending TPB to some prick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8rEY-JtdNk

Plus Sara and Rick had appearances in Hobo with a Shotgun!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Also, bonus John Dunsworth defending TPB to some prick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8rEY-JtdNk
Lahey himself could have outsmarted that dude.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Geez, there is a lot of stuff expiring!!

I'm going to try to fit in: Dreams, Bonnie and Clyde, For Your Consideration, Dragons Forever, The 39 Steps, The Kid Stays in the Picture.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

As for expiring movies, I've taken care of The Last Temptation of Christ, Heavenly Creatures, Enter the Dragon, Rio Bravo, Rocky, Bonnie and Clyde, and The Long Good Friday all in the past few weeks. The only ones left in my queue that I really want to watch are Arsenic and Old Lace, Carrie, and possibly Drunken Master. There are a few others in my queue that I don't really care about that are going away, too.

fenix down posted:

Geez, there is a lot of stuff expiring!!

I'm going to try to fit in: Dreams, Bonnie and Clyde, For Your Consideration, Dragons Forever, The 39 Steps, The Kid Stays in the Picture.

I highly recommend The 39 Steps. Bonnie and Clyde is pretty good too, but I don't really think it's essential viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Uh, For Your Consideration is not great.

• Locked thread