Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Blamethrower posted:

Picked up a Konica AiBorg the other day for £10 in a local charity shop.

Beautiful.

Ahahaha.

:awesomelon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

scottch posted:

That's what I had feared. The guy is selling a whole pile of stuff, but only has so much posted. He also had a Polaroid SprintScan 35 that I was going to pick up with a rangefinder, but it's not the 4000DPI one I thought it was, so doubtful it'll be that decent.

He says he has some MF and LF too that he's posting later, but trying to get more info about those before I pick up a rangefinder. He has lots more besides the Voigtlander, like a Yashica J & Lynx, Ricoh 35, even a mini Rollei.

I'll try to find our more about the busted RF though, looks like a beautiful camera.

I actually like my SprintScan 45 Ultra. It may or may not have comparable optics to the SS 35, but it actually hits its resolution specs fairly well (2500 dpi), whereas my Epson V500 is probably doing more like 1500 DPI than its specced 3200. The downside is, you need a SCSI card or SCSI->USB converter. The only SCSI card I know of that has Windows Vista/7 drivers is the Adaptec AHA-2940. The converters are about $100-150 a pop. If you manage to get SCSI working, you are treated to the joy that is VueScan. There's also no infrared cleaning. Some of the later dedicated film scanners are pretty good, but don't spend more than $50 on one unless it's something high-end.

If you talk to him any more and wouldn't mind playing telephone, I'd be curious what model of Lynx and what "minature rollei" he's got and what he's asking for them. My AIM's in my profile, or my email is godemperor dot dune at gmail.

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010
Giving away an old Nikon P&S for shipping/PayPal fees if anyone's interested. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=79&perpage=40#post398159848

Blamethrower
Nov 26, 2006

So I ran a film through the AiBorg and it isn't bad!

Here is a lion that looks a lot like a penis (deliberately so, legend has it)

Some others:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Blamethrower posted:

So I ran a film through the AiBorg and it isn't bad!

I'm a sucker for these kinds of shots - apartment buildings and kitchens. :| Plus I like the tones.

Story time. I was waiting around for my friend to come by at Dundas square (a downtown square in Toronto, lot's of sketchy people mixed in with randoms) at around 1pm. Then I spot an alley with some crazy good light so I get up and walk into it, take out my camera and ready the shot. But that's when I hear a guy from behind telling me "Hold on! Don't shoot yet!" and as he walks by he just starts peeing and walking, at the same time, for like 6 feet! I lol'ed and sighed and actually waited for him to finish, after which I asked him to move to the side so I can take the photo.
Instead he goes in the middle of the alleyway and starts telling me how he is Ice T's cousin or brother or something (I wasn't paying too much attention, I was laughing at this point) and how he is in Toronto to "feel out the town" and such. So of course I took his photo! Then I told him to move, he did, and I took my drat alley photo haha.
What was strange was that after I took the two photos, he told me he can prove that he is IceT's whatever - he pulled out his phone and showed me his background photo as proof. A photo of himself. I said "yeaaa cool", wished him a good day, he did the same, and I was on my way.

I can't wait to see the photo of him, so I can show you guys how messed up his face was, it looked like he had mould on his forehead and jaw.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Paul MaudDib posted:

I actually like my SprintScan 45 Ultra. It may or may not have comparable optics to the SS 35, but it actually hits its resolution specs fairly well (2500 dpi), whereas my Epson V500 is probably doing more like 1500 DPI than its specced 3200. The downside is, you need a SCSI card or SCSI->USB converter. The only SCSI card I know of that has Windows Vista/7 drivers is the Adaptec AHA-2940. The converters are about $100-150 a pop. If you manage to get SCSI working, you are treated to the joy that is VueScan. There's also no infrared cleaning. Some of the later dedicated film scanners are pretty good, but don't spend more than $50 on one unless it's something high-end.

If you talk to him any more and wouldn't mind playing telephone, I'd be curious what model of Lynx and what "minature rollei" he's got and what he's asking for them. My AIM's in my profile, or my email is godemperor dot dune at gmail.

The 35 is SCSI too, which would be a challenge to connect to my Mac mini.

The Voigtlander is only out of alignment, so I'm picking that up tomorrow. Sooo loving pumped. I'm also bringing some extra cash to score anything else he's got--mentioned a load of MF folders and TLRs, too, so I'm very excited.

The Lynx is a 14E with the 45/1.4 lens. I'll email you with more details on the rest of the lot.

Also, Santa, what the hell are you doing, not snapping a shot of him pissing and walking? Shame.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Santa is strapped posted:

I can't wait to see the photo of him, so I can show you guys how messed up his face was, it looked like he had mould on his forehead and jaw.

Looking forward to it! :barf:

I just bought a Fuji Klasse off a guy on APUG. I've been looking for a decent compact AF camera so I hope this satisfies my itch.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

scottch posted:

Also, Santa, what the hell are you doing, not snapping a shot of him pissing and walking? Shame.

Not gonna lie, I thought about it

RustedChrome posted:

Looking forward to it! :barf:

I just bought a Fuji Klasse off a guy on APUG. I've been looking for a decent compact AF camera so I hope this satisfies my itch.

Soon, soon.

What is APUG?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Santa is strapped posted:

What is APUG?

Analog Photography User Group, https://www.apug.org lots of people/nerds talking about film photography.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Spedman posted:

Analog Photography User Group, https://www.apug.org lots of people/nerds talking about film photography.

Yes where they not only like film photography, they actively despise digital, going so far as to censor the very word as d***tal and the like. For some reason they don't like to mention eBay either, calling it "the big auction site."

If you ignore all the cranky old men, there is a lot of good info there.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
I'm trying to pare down my camera collection and I figured someone here might be interested in what I'm trying to sell. Currently two Lomo LCA's in my sa mart thread, one with a snazzy orange paint job.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3454606&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post398528612

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
I'll scream it until your ears bleed; You'll always have a friend in me.
been a little slow lately with getting my film developed, but i just got back from a trip to london and burned through a few rolls. Still waiting on my velvia to be developed.

all shot on contax t2, mostly with portra 400

heres some shots from bushkill falls PA

sorry theres a lot, theres a ton more on my flickr - https://www.erickjeldsen.com

ill post up the velvia when i get it!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Did I get the right kind of camera?

photo by Krakkles, on Flickr

$6.99 at goodwill, threw some batteries in it, it fired up and started taking pictures. Possible best/worst part: Had film in it with 10 exposures already fired off. Can't WAIT to see what comes out of those!

Oh: Whoever put that macro tag on it was high as poo poo. Closest focus distance I can work out of it is 7 feet. :wtc:

trout!!
Mar 3, 2004
This thread has ended my long lurking streak.

I shot these on my XA, all with crummy Walgreens brand 400 speed film.

Culture; September 2011 by rcansley, on Flickr

Calm (II); September 2011 by rcansley, on Flickr

Grand Tetons; July 2011 by rcansley, on Flickr

New Jersey Fireworks; July 2011 by rcansley, on Flickr

I absolutely LOVE my XA, but I'm currently in the market for a T4... just like everyone else, it seems!

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

killingthebest posted:

I absolutely LOVE my XA

I just bought an XA, fits so nicely in a pocket!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What do y'all think of this? $150 for the lot:

quote:

Camera- yashica Gsn electro 35/ model #h1619902
Lens- yashikor aux wide angle 1:4
Lens- yashikor aux telephoto 1:4
Flash- vivitar 91
Flash- yashica cs-14
Lens - aux eye piece
Amico camera bag
2-rolls of Fuji asa400 film(new)
Battery adapter and new battery
Complete with all original lens caps/ lens case

1:This camera outfit is in impeccable condition, I ran one test roll asa 400, no leaks, My guess is this is the first roll of film that's been through this camera, All the aux lenses were still in plastic, The eyepiece as well, The flash is in the original box, I ordered another flash w/ the hot shoe cable, It more used than the camera but works just fine. The camera and lenses have zero signs of ware,no scratches mars of any kind, It's 39 years old and looks as if it was just out of the box, Truly a great find for any camera buff, The glass on the aux lenses is remarkable, The battery compartment had a little corosion, but with a little vinagar it cleaned right up, all the meters work just fine and the pictures were amazing. All original manuals for camera and lenses are there contact greg at **********

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Also, got a couple old rolls back recently:

72770006.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

72770020.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

72770019.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

72780002.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

72780015.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Awkward Davies posted:

What do y'all think of this? $150 for the lot:

Nope. lovely deal. The aux lenses will have pretty poor quality, the flash is probably nothing special. Value of the lenses is probably $5, the flash is probably another $5, the bag another $5 (assuming you want them). The camera itself is worth maybe $35 if it's working properly, but there are parts that tend to fail (google "yashica gsn pad of death") so it's always a bit of a crapshoot.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nope. lovely deal. The aux lenses will have pretty poor quality, the flash is probably nothing special. Value of the lenses is probably $5, the flash is probably another $5, the bag another $5 (assuming you want them). The camera itself is worth maybe $35 if it's working properly, but there are parts that tend to fail (google "yashica gsn pad of death") so it's always a bit of a crapshoot.

Hunh, I read a good review and saw they were going for $150ish on ebay so assumed it wasnt too bad.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I have those aux lenses, they are pretty bad. You have to scale focus them, they throw off the meter, and the out of focus areas look really harsh. The GSN on its own is a pretty nice camera though - it's a little big for a rangefinder, and its aperture-priority only, but the lens is excellent. They've gone up in price recently, but they're still not particularly difficult to find for under $50.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
It's always funny to see how wildly wrong people often price cameras. Either far too low because "nobody shoots film anymore" or way too high because "that's what I originally paid!" or worse, "it's an antique!"

There was a camera shop near here that recently went out of business. When they got them, they'd sell working Box Brownies and old Kodak bellows folders for $5-10. A fair price, brownies are cool but they're certainly not rare. A salvage shop further down the road had a pile of busted-rear end moldy Brownies missing their film hatches and folders with smashed-out lenses or missing bellows... they wanted $30-50 each for that junk.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

It's always funny to see how wildly wrong people often price cameras. Either far too low because "nobody shoots film anymore" or way too high because "that's what I originally paid!" or worse, "it's an antique!"

There was a camera shop near here that recently went out of business. When they got them, they'd sell working Box Brownies and old Kodak bellows folders for $5-10. A fair price, brownies are cool but they're certainly not rare. A salvage shop further down the road had a pile of busted-rear end moldy Brownies missing their film hatches and folders with smashed-out lenses or missing bellows... they wanted $30-50 each for that junk.

PhotoMart on Congress? I'm still mad that I missed them going out of business.

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
got my rvp50 back. shot from my contax t2.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

tuddy posted:

got my rvp50 back. shot from my contax t2.

Those are really awesome. The T2 is so elite!

On the other end of the camera spectrum, I picked up an old Canon Sure Shot for $6 last month. It's clunky and plastic but it works.

I loaded up an old roll of Kodak Gold I had sitting around and tried it out. The film is Gold 200, but for some reason, I thought I had loaded 400 in there so I took shots in much dimmer conditions than I would have otherwise. They came out OK though. Gold 200 is grainy as hell for 200 speed film, but that's why it's so cheap I guess.

Check out these crazy lens flares along the bottom.

Not the sharpest in the world but worth $6 I suppose.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Konica Big Mini is kind of a lovely camera in retrospect, but I had some great times with it:

I've since moved on to greener pastures in the form of a Nikon 35ti, which I adore.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57894797@N00/

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
http://movieclips.com/UZRQ-one-hour-photo-movie-one-shot-left/

leica minilux in this scene...

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Konica A4, Fuji Superia Xtra 400

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

tuddy posted:

http://movieclips.com/UZRQ-one-hour-photo-movie-one-shot-left/

leica minilux in this scene...
Minilux Zoom...

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I am dangerously close to picking up a Yashica T4 Super D from craigslist. Has anyone here had any experience with getting cameras off of craigslist? Anything to watch out for?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 12, 2012

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006

Ric posted:

Minilux Zoom...

:o

Bioshuffle posted:

I am dangerously close to picking up a Yashica T4 Super D from craigslist. Has anyone here had any experience with getting cameras off of craigslist? Anything to watch out for?

Bring a battery with you to make sure it turns on and even a roll of film to see if the winding mechanism works, and the shutter fires smoothly.

Also inspect the backing plate to avoid light leaking in.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Well... well... look what arrived today from goon Nannypea

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What is it? Can't quite see.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Looks like an Agfa Optima 1a. Also looks like fun.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Rules: you must post photos of you with camera and photos taken with camera. It is a challenge!

Thank you!
Dame Nannypea

e: I'm curious if the selenium cell is still good. You may have gotten lucky and it's been kept in a case.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

I hope this is not the camera you are referring to....http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/pho/2803044489.html

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hah, also just found a goon who posts in this thread selling his Leica Mini 3 on craiglist. Hello goon!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Taking this to a gathering tonight. Works great, but LOL at the flash. Talk about top heavy:

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!

the posted:

Taking this to a gathering tonight. Works great, but LOL at the flash. Talk about top heavy:

Holy Crap!! Can't wait to see the pics.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

the posted:

What a classy camera. Old German compacts are the best, I need to put a roll through my Contina iia soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006

Awkward Davies posted:

Hah, also just found a goon who posts in this thread selling his Leica Mini 3 on craiglist. Hello goon!

hihi!

• Locked thread