Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

MixMasterMalaria posted:

How do you make that hollow reverberating noise that comes in every 6 seconds or so? I hear it a lot in ambient music and it's very mysterious to me! I like your track, it gives a nice sci-fi feel that's evocative of Metroid and Mass Effect without feeling derivative.

Do you have any suggestions for bridging between pieces of music in a game that can only play one music file at a time? My friend asked me to write some stuff for his indie game next year and it'll require a switch between the normal 'dream climb' tune and a 'nightmare' version of the song which can be switched between on the fly in some capacity without sounding terrible.

You mean the sonar ping-ish "poohhh"? That's just some white noise, band-passed with a high resonance.

Glad you like the track!

If you can't fade between files, you have two options:

1. Have a small break. This is feasible for when nightmares don't appear suddenly. You'd fade out the dream climb and then start the nightmare. Depending on how the game mechanics work, this might or might not be suitable for leaving the nightmare states as well.

2. Immediate change of pace. That means you'd have to start with some sort of interrupting cMOO!!! :) A fanfare when you win a boss fight, for example, or a monster's scream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

MixMasterMalaria posted:

How do you make that hollow reverberating noise that comes in every 6 seconds or so? I hear it a lot in ambient music and it's very mysterious to me! I like your track, it gives a nice sci-fi feel that's evocative of Metroid and Mass Effect without feeling derivative.

Do you have any suggestions for bridging between pieces of music in a game that can only play one music file at a time? My friend asked me to write some stuff for his indie game next year and it'll require a switch between the normal 'dream climb' tune and a 'nightmare' version of the song which can be switched between on the fly in some capacity without sounding terrible.

Depending on how the system is set up, you could cut your piece into smaller chunks and play them sequentially, switching out for the nightmare version when appropriate.

If your main tune is 64 bars, break it into 4 bar chunks, then play them in order and start over when you'd normally loop. You can do whatever it is you need to do to the tune to make it nightmarish, then have an equivalent 64-split-into-4 nightmare tune setup. Then you can swap in between the new part and the old part while maintaining the beat and not sounding too weird.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

a foolish pianist posted:

Depending on how the system is set up, you could cut your piece into smaller chunks and play them sequentially, switching out for the nightmare version when appropriate.

If your main tune is 64 bars, break it into 4 bar chunks, then play them in order and start over when you'd normally loop. You can do whatever it is you need to do to the tune to make it nightmarish, then have an equivalent 64-split-into-4 nightmare tune setup. Then you can swap in between the new part and the old part while maintaining the beat and not sounding too weird.

Ooohh that is a good idea! Or you could have synchronized soundtracks that can switch from on to the other at any second and not sound weird, and then just start the nightmare track at the same position at which the dream track is when you switch.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Vector 7 posted:

:words: MULTIBAND COMPRESSION :words:

Thank you for posting this. I just found this thread and was going to ask a longwinded question essentially boiling down to doing this

Vector 7 posted:

An EQ won't work (or would require tons of automation)

when I can/should apparently just use a multiband compressor. My issue is I've got a track I'm working on with piano/l. guitar/r. guitar/bass/drums/string ensemble and the piano frequencies (mostly midrange) keep muddling with the guitars, and meticulous EQ automation would be like pulling teeth. Thanks for the info!

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Just know deep down, you will never be this good or this awesome...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lmEhCDRvQKA

Beef Log Boy
Jul 6, 2004

Cut the Cheeeeese Log and I'm a happy fellow!
Just finished up the song I posted earlier in this thread. I think I'm content with the final product.

http://soundcloud.com/shreddie-mercury/sweaty-vedder

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Hey all, idiotic Kontakt question here. I just downloaded and activated the Factory content, pointed the Database finder at the new directory, but the drat thing will not recognize in the browser window. The weird thing is, it shows me a whole folder of Presets labelled "Factory" but nothing else. Is there a way to fix this so it actually recognizes the instruments?

EDIT: Maschine browser seems to recognize the same content just fine. :confused:

EDIT PART DEUX: No wait, Maschine has lost them too. gently caress. Trying to manually load the .nki files gets me "May have been made in a newer version of Kontakt" - I'm sure I have the latest version.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 16, 2011

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Beef Log Boy posted:

Just finished up the song I posted earlier in this thread. I think I'm content with the final product.

Do you have a download link anywhere? I'd be happy to kick you some dollars to get to use this in a set.

Beef Log Boy
Jul 6, 2004

a foolish pianist posted:

Do you have a download link anywhere? I'd be happy to kick you some dollars to get to use this in a set.

Just made it downloadable on there. No dollars are necessary!

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
So here's a dumb Massive question: On tutorial youtubes and the like everyone has their envelope/LFO waveforms highlighted in white, like the actual shape. Where's the option to turn this on? Mine is unhighlighted.

Beef Log Boy
Jul 6, 2004

Volvagia posted:

So here's a dumb Massive question: On tutorial youtubes and the like everyone has their envelope/LFO waveforms highlighted in white, like the actual shape. Where's the option to turn this on? Mine is unhighlighted.

Can you screenshot it? I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
How do I have compression not completely gently caress over my sounds? I posted a track earlier that was having issues when it was compressed via soundcloud. Eventually after reducing the problem to its bare bones, I've realized that everytime I export a saw wave out of my Ableton, and compress it to anything under a 192 kbps mp3, it starts sounding like a mess of farts. Like seriously, I started a new project, opened up massive, wrote a 6 note bass line, exported it, and even still in its most barebones form, whenever condensed to anything below 192 the sound is absolutely god awful and intolerable. I can't upload my track at all to soundcloud or youtube, because anything that's lower than 192 makes the track sound nearly unlistenable.

This is the sound with some mastering and effects thrown on top. Even if I take it out so that it's just massive producing a straightforward saw wave, it sounds the same. I also tried it with Sylenth producing the saw wave, same results, all effects off. I messed around with bit depth and sample rate and that did nothing either. Is there just no way to have saw waves sound good at lower bit rates? How does Dada Life make their saw waves work on youtube videos and stuff? This problem is driving me absolutely insane.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

The Dark Wind posted:

How do I have compression not completely gently caress over my sounds?
Short answer. Don't upload anything to youtube or soundcloud in a lossy format. Read up on lossy vs lossless compression.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Hogscraper posted:

Short answer. Don't upload anything to youtube or soundcloud in a lossy format. Read up on lossy vs lossless compression.

The thing is, I tried uploading it as a wave file originally but soundcloud compresses all audio regardless of what you upload it as.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

The Dark Wind posted:

The thing is, I tried uploading it as a wave file originally but soundcloud compresses all audio regardless of what you upload it as.
Crazy. Maybe the compression they are using sucks.

Try and lower the master volume -3 dB, bounce out at that level, then upload as wav again. See if it sounds any better. I've heard some mp3 compression algorithms completely choke when presented with full scale samples. I've never really put that theory to the test myself.

I don't really imagine uploading a lossy sample being any better than a lossless one unless it's in a certain format where their software doesn't re-encode the file. Maybe dig around in the SoundCloud FAQs and see if they mention anything about that.

Any efforts I've seen online to EQ/compress a master specifically for this or that site have been pretty fail-tastic.

Edit: I've had pretty good luck with my youtube videos by uploading 320 kbit AC3 (Dolby) "Music Light" encoded files. You'll want to turn the dialnorm off by setting the level to -31. Also, everything on that site sounds crappy when you view it in 360p. Everything! Especially when you're used to hearing it in a mix/master room uncompressed for the length of the project. Even 320 kbit or LAME V0 sounds really terrible to me when I've been working on a project for awhile.

Double Edit: Rick Rubin's "Mastered for iTunes" is ridiculous. Such a dumb concept on so many levels.

Triple Edit: @The Dark Wind Care to PM me a wav of the tracks you're having problems with along with a wav of that bass loop you posted?

Hogscraper fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 16, 2011

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
Soundcloud's compression algorithm is poo poo. Tindeck works way better in my experience, but unfortunately it's not as popular as soundcloud :(

Also, question:

Does anyone know a good (free) program that can rip whatever sound is currently playing on my PC (i.e. videogames, youtube videos, etc.)?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Yeah, YouTube and Soundcloud both stream sound at 128kbps. YouTube bumps it to 152 for HD video. Woo! It's like 2003 all over again on the internet!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Chitin posted:

Yeah, YouTube and Soundcloud both stream sound at 128kbps. YouTube bumps it to 152 for HD video. Woo! It's like 2003 all over again on the internet!

The best part? You, too can own PRO TOOLS TEN! featuring BUILT IN SOUNDCLOUD INTEGRATION for all your mixes done in 24/48!

Ulmeyda
Aug 10, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I'm getting semi-serious about becoming an electronic musician. I've got room for some electives next semester, would I benefit from taking a music theory class?

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Ulmeyda posted:

I'm getting semi-serious about becoming an electronic musician. I've got room for some electives next semester, would I benefit from taking a music theory class?
Do you know anything about music theory? If you don't, you should definitely take that class.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Ulmeyda posted:

Absolutely. 200%.

You don't need to become an expert but knowing something about it is SUPER helpful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just be wary of turning into a pretentious music snob who only listens to classical and berates anyone who enjoys modern music.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Beef Log Boy posted:

This is pretty badass, I put it on the ipod and it keeps calling at me to play it again.

Not typically a fan of wobble but you avoid beating the listener over the head with it, so it works well.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Hey everyone, I guess the FL Studio thread is gone so here's a quick question.

I just bought an AKAI LPD8 and I've had no trouble linking the knobs to various functions in fl studio native programs, but I can't do it in stuff like Blue and Predator. I right click, click latch to midi then jiggle the knob just like the tutorial says to do but nothing happens. hey you click that arrow drop box FLS put over every VST and click browse parameters, find the function in the side bar, it's pretty obtuse though but I guess it'll have to do.

For some reason the first knob seems to be on the same channel as the modulation wheel on my Alesis q25 so whatever I set to the mod wheel on the q25 gets set to K1 on the LPD8 as well, and vice versa.

Also is there a way in FLS to have things work in the background? for example:

I open FPC, set my pads on the LPD to drums.
Then I open blue to use with the keys on the q25.
The pads on the LPD now operate blue instead of FPC.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 21, 2011

Beef Log Boy
Jul 6, 2004

xzzy posted:

This is pretty badass, I put it on the ipod and it keeps calling at me to play it again.

Not typically a fan of wobble but you avoid beating the listener over the head with it, so it works well.

Thanks! I'm glad you dig it. I've always been a fan of songs that use wobbles sparingly, rather than base an entire melody/riff around it.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I just bought an AKAI LPD8 and I've had no trouble linking the knobs to various functions in fl studio native programs, but I can't do it in stuff like Blue and Predator. I right click, click latch to midi then jiggle the knob just like the tutorial says to do but nothing happens. hey you click that arrow drop box FLS put over every VST and click browse parameters, find the function in the side bar, it's pretty obtuse though but I guess it'll have to do.

Nah man just move whatever knob/fader you want to control on the vst, and then go to Tools>Last Tweaked Parameter>Link to Controller

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://soundcloud.com/postpre/garbo-world

Hip-hop / heavy bass music. I got a really slick sax sound out of Thor that comes in on the drop. Thoughts?

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

For some reason the first knob seems to be on the same channel as the modulation wheel on my Alesis q25 so whatever I set to the mod wheel on the q25 gets set to K1 on the LPD8 as well, and vice versa.

Also is there a way in FLS to have things work in the background? for example:

I open FPC, set my pads on the LPD to drums.
Then I open blue to use with the keys on the q25.
The pads on the LPD now operate blue instead of FPC.

The way suggested is cool, but there's a much easier way too

just switch multilink on, tweak away, then pick link to controllers

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
What's needed to sample sound clips from Internet sources like Netflix watch instantly or YouTube? I know you can save YouTube video data (or auto convert to MP3) but I feel like there's a more direct way to grab a few seconds of dialog or whatever? I'm looking for good :techno:

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 23, 2011

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

What's needed to sample sound clips from Internet sources like Netflix watch instantly or YouTube? I know you can save YouTube video data (or auto convert to MP3) but I feel like there's a more direct way to grab a few seconds of dialog or whatever? I'm looking for good :techno:

You could do this with Soundflower. What I'd do is set the system output to Soundflower, open your DAW and then you can play back the video and record from the Soundflower input. Obviously you need to change your settings back when you're done but this allows you to experiment with capturing a bunch of different short snippets.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Peter North posted:

The way suggested is cool, but there's a much easier way too

just switch multilink on, tweak away, then pick link to controllers

I like how FL Studio gives you a bunch of different ways to do everything, like how you can use your typing keyboard as a midi keyboard.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Cyne posted:

You could do this with Soundflower. What I'd do is set the system output to Soundflower, open your DAW and then you can play back the video and record from the Soundflower input. Obviously you need to change your settings back when you're done but this allows you to experiment with capturing a bunch of different short snippets.

This is exactly what I'm looking for but I'm on a PC :ughh:

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
I'm looking for a program like that aswell. I remember my old X-Fi soundcard's drivers had an option to do exactly that, but I don't have that card anymore :(

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Speaking of which, do you still need to go through a long application process to get the FL Mac beta?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

MixMasterMalaria posted:

There's Virtual Audio Cable, which costs $30 (though there is a trial version) and I think JACK is capable of this too.

I've not tried either myself, but can reaffirm Soundflower is a must-have if you're on a Mac.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

MixMasterMalaria posted:

This is exactly what I'm looking for but I'm on a PC :ughh:

In Audacity you can record right off the soundcard if you change a few settings in both Audacity and windows, but the steps differ I think for XP/vista/win 7.

Google "Recording off the soundcard" or "recording from soundcard audacity".

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

feedback would be cool

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I bought Massive as an early Christmas gift for myself. I don't want to download any presets for it because I really want to get a good handle on its in's and outs but so far I've just been looking at tutorials on YouTube. Anyone have any resources for Massive they found particularly helpful?

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMfO2tUN66A

Videos by this guy were pretty useful when I first got Massive a few months ago. He does a good job of explaining what he's doing. Also, the manual has a nice little walkthrough about designing a simple bass that's helpful if you are really confused. The main thing to note about massive is that the modulation amounts are set by the little rings around the knobs, which is hard to explain without a picture, but you can check out the manual if you are having trouble with it.

You will not regret buying massive. Once you get used to it and realize how powerful and intuitive it is while sounding awesome, you'll love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Thoogsby posted:

I bought Massive as an early Christmas gift for myself. I don't want to download any presets for it because I really want to get a good handle on its in's and outs but so far I've just been looking at tutorials on YouTube. Anyone have any resources for Massive they found particularly helpful?

I've been eyeing this - but be aware it might go on sale (it did at thanksgiving)
http://www.massivesynth.com/course/?utm_source=MassiveSynth.com&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=MPU

there's also a blog with tutorials posted from around the web
http://www.massivesynth.com

• Locked thread