Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Guarulhos International Aiport in Brazil put a mat down in a terminal and held two matches and a clinic

That's pretty drat awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

it is

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Airport judo? Buh?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Don't get too hung up on names Nierbo. Names for things vary from country to country and city to city. My gym call the americana/keylock a figure four, and the arm triangle a head-arm choke. We have a Brazilian brown belt who doesn't know what the hell an "omoplata" or "gogoplata" is because they apparently have very different names in Brazil.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Don't get too hung up on names Nierbo. Names for things vary from country to country and city to city. My gym call the americana/keylock a figure four, and the arm triangle a head-arm choke. We have a Brazilian brown belt who doesn't know what the hell an "omoplata" or "gogoplata" is because they apparently have very different names in Brazil.

That's actually one of the awesome things about Judo as opposed to any other Martial Art. Techniques are called the same thing everywhere, so language and familiarity with any particular club is irrelevant when training.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
It's awesome until you have to study Japanese for your belt promotions :emo:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What do modern martial artists think of Bruce Lee? He seems to have a genuine love of the philosophy behind martial arts, and I feel like he was pretty legit, but I'm sure some people think the same thing about Steven Seagal.

Also, which art is best to just be able to pick up and improve one's cardio?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Okay, I'll try not to nit pick.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also, which art is best to just be able to pick up and improve one's cardio?
If you're doing nothing at the moment, all the martial arts mentioned in the OP will push you cardio wise. Warmups vary from school to school and go from running for a minute or so to crazy poo poo using medicine balls and handstands that will probably have you beat before you even start learning. Training intensity also varies from coach to coach but to really improve cardio, you're best off focusing on it at a separate time than martial arts class. my humble opinion

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Okay, I'll try not to nit pick.

If you're doing nothing at the moment, all the martial arts mentioned in the OP will push you cardio wise. Warmups vary from school to school and go from running for a minute or so to crazy poo poo using medicine balls and handstands that will probably have you beat before you even start learning. Training intensity also varies from coach to coach but to really improve cardio, you're best off focusing on it at a separate time than martial arts class. my humble opinion

This is pretty much spot on. If you still want to do martial arts mainly/only for cardio I'd recommend a striking art like boxing, kick boxing or muay thai.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Fitness boxing, cardio kickboxing. There's gyms and classes for just that stuff.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What do modern martial artists think of Bruce Lee? He seems to have a genuine love of the philosophy behind martial arts, and I feel like he was pretty legit, but I'm sure some people think the same thing about Steven Seagal.

There's two camps with Bruce Lee. Most widely held is the Internet loving Weirdo type thinking that you see on a place like, I don't know, the fitocracy martial art subforum. His name is invoked to end arguments. "Even Bruce Lee did weight training." "Even Bruce Lee said you should crosstrain." That kind of thing. It's part of the whole "the warriors of old are better than anyone today, people used to have magic powers" kind of poo poo that those guys eat up.

Then there's the us/bullshido/rational humanbeing crowd, who don't think of him as some kind of god, but he was a pretty cool guy. While he'd get his rear end kicked by a modern MMA fighter, his ideas helped shape modern MMA, he was on the same path really, just not as far along. Totally ignoring his fighting stuff though, he was a really cool guy, was revolutionary to modern exercise science with all the crazy poo poo he did to his body, and his poetry is absolutely excellent.

edit: here's a good one, "Since You Left"

Bruce Lee posted:

My boat glides down the tranquil river,
Beyond the orchard which borders the bank.

I leave you my poems.
Read them.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 23, 2011

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
This is probably opening up a can of worms here, but I don't think it's fair to say he'd 'get his rear end kicked by a modern MMA fighter'. Probably be a good fight until it went to the ground. Not saying he'd dominate the sport either though.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
If Bruce Lee had lived to see UFC 1, he would've started training BJJ the very next day.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I'd bet Lee could beat up your average Joe Haymaker ok up until the takedown. Aldo or Edgar not so much.

But his philosophy is enjoyable and the Chinese Connection rules.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Taratang posted:

If Bruce Lee had lived to see UFC 1, he would've started training BJJ the very next day.

He probably would've taken the 'Grace Challenge' and started learning way before then and possibly helped start the UFC.

mewse
May 2, 2006

i think chuck norris would beat bruce lee imho

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
For what it's worth, the brazillians in my classes always call both of those armlocks a Kimura. When I asked why they said because that's what it's called in brazil.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
My coach got his blackbelt from John Will (principal progenitor of BJJ in Australia) and he is mostly orthodox then when I least expect it calls the flower sweep the "leg grab rollover sweep" and laughs at me for calling it a flower sweep and I know not what the gently caress. Grappling comes from a lot of places and the taxonomy may differ even if the substance does not. Just hope the guy with the bizarre nomenclature isn't trying to coach you from the sidelines in a comp.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

mewse posted:

i think chuck norris would beat bruce lee imho

Someone hasn't seen Return of the Dragon.

In judo the Americana and the Kimura are both called ude-garami (or "arm entanglement"). I think the Kimura is sometimes called reverse or modified ude-garami.

I got a book called "Falling Hard" - it's sort of the history of judo interwoven with the author's experience of starting the sport at age 50. Anyways, I really enjoyed the chapter about Kimura and his fight with Helio Gracie. According to the book Helio later said he never expected to beat Kimura. I haven't finished it yet but I've enjoyed what I've read so I can recommend it to other judo guys here.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
Near the end of his life, Bruce Lee was beginning to study and incorporate grappling into his martial arts discipline. I can't remember which book it is, but in one of his collections it includes pencil drawings of two guys wrestling and doing judo.

I think it's fair to say that for his time, Bruce Lee was ahead of the grappling curve.

Also if we know anything about Steven Seagal, it's that walking out to an mma fight with him in your corner is almost guaranteed to result in a front kick to the face win.

Lastly, did anyone watch Jon Jones' last fight and catch what martial arts discipline he follows now? I can't remember the exact name, but I think it follows a Jeet Kune Do lineage.

EDIT: I just listened to Bruce Buffer's announcement from the Machida fight again and it sounds like he says, "Lok Si Do"... does anyone know what that is? I tried to look it up, but didn't find too much. The guys on Sherdog seem to think it's Look > See > Do referring to Jones' history of learning moves from youtube.

I just tweeted Jones the question, we'll see if he responds.

Kumo Jr. fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 23, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Kumo Jr. posted:

Near the end of his life, Bruce Lee was beginning to study and incorporate grappling into his martial arts discipline. I can't remember which book it is, but in one of his collections it includes pencil drawings of two guys wrestling and doing judo.

I think it's fair to say that for his time, Bruce Lee was ahead of the grappling curve.
Considering in the 50s and 60s and 70s Judo was the de-facto grappling curve (at least in the U.S.), I don't really see how you can say Bruce Lee was ahead of it.

He studied Judo, yes that's true. But from what I heard he did not particularly study it in depth.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kumo Jr. posted:

EDIT: I just listened to Bruce Buffer's announcement from the Machida fight again and it sounds like he says, "Lok Si Do"... does anyone know what that is? I tried to look it up, but didn't find too much. The guys on Sherdog seem to think it's Look > See > Do referring to Jones' history of learning moves from youtube.

:ughh:

mewse
May 2, 2006

jon jones is an MMA fighter. he calls his system "look see do" on a lark. the fact that you've twisted it in your brain to somehow mean he's a spiritual follower of bruce lee is utterly insane

http://fighthype.com/pages/content3394.html

edit: and gently caress you, guy that brought up bruce lee in this thread, opening the floodgates of crazy. gently caress you

mewse fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 23, 2011

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...

Neurosis posted:

My coach got his blackbelt from John Will (principal progenitor of BJJ in Australia) and he is mostly orthodox then when I least expect it calls the flower sweep the "leg grab rollover sweep" and laughs at me for calling it a flower sweep and I know not what the gently caress. Grappling comes from a lot of places and the taxonomy may differ even if the substance does not. Just hope the guy with the bizarre nomenclature isn't trying to coach you from the sidelines in a comp.

My coach is a John Will blackbelt and calls it 'leg grab rollover' aswell.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

mewse posted:

jon jones is an MMA fighter. he calls his system "look see do" on a lark. the fact that you've twisted it in your brain to somehow mean he's a spiritual follower of bruce lee is utterly insane

http://fighthype.com/pages/content3394.html

edit: and gently caress you, guy that brought up bruce lee in this thread, opening the floodgates of crazy. gently caress you

It's quite well known that Jon Jones is a huge Bruce Lee fan and is often seen sporting Jeet Kune Do gear (http://thegarv.com/Jon-Bones-Jones-Jeet-Kune-Do.html). The only mental jump that I made was, having never heard of "Lok Si Do", I thought that it may be related. I guess I was wrong, but I don't think it was an insane leap.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I wonder how many five year olds Bruce could take in a fight.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Five year olds are terrifying. When they have a license to hit you they know no mercy, and will employ swarm tactics. I'd recommend a baseball bat.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Senor P. posted:

Considering in the 50s and 60s and 70s Judo was the de-facto grappling curve (at least in the U.S.), I don't really see how you can say Bruce Lee was ahead of it.

He studied Judo, yes that's true. But from what I heard he did not particularly study it in depth.

Gene Lebell handled Lee with ease, though I don't know if it was with sparring or without. The size difference probably helped, too.

That said, back then, were judoka stil afraid of other arts? That is, pre UFC-1, what did people who trained judo walk around thinking about how they'd fare in an NHB fight against other martial artists?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

Gene Lebell handled Lee with ease, though I don't know if it was with sparring or without. The size difference probably helped, too.

That said, back then, were judoka stil afraid of other arts? That is, pre UFC-1, what did people who trained judo walk around thinking about how they'd fare in an NHB fight against other martial artists?

A lot of the spread of Judo was from guys like Kimura taking on fights with anybody. So I'm sure they weren't too self conscious about how Judo stacked up.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Thoguh posted:

A lot of the spread of Judo was from guys like Kimura taking on fights with anybody. So I'm sure they weren't too self conscious about how Judo stacked up.

Gene Lebell also had some style-vs-style matches back in the day I think.

Srange though, in the Netherlands, people don't see Judo as a Martial Art/fighting style, just something to do. Obviously this is changing with the UFC etc becoming more popular, but if I tell someone I wrestle they'll go like uhuh (fag/crazy nhb fighter hat will bite you) but if I say I do Judo they don't think anything about it and it is immediately forgotten.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Yeah from what little I know, the earlier 20th century Judokas thought they stack up pretty loving well against anyone.

On another subject regarding warming up for a fight :haw: During my last fight I was out of breath and feeling tired during the second round, never recovered and lost. After it was all over I felt like going for 5 more rounds which pissed me off even more because I knew I could've gone on and on given some time to get over the hill. My pacing sucks, right, but should I work more before a bout?

Say during a high tempo exercise people lose their breath, explosive power and speed, however... during the end of the first rotation you recover and go on to an autopilot mode, and then smash through the last 15 minutes like a zombie putting on a terrific pace (which sounds pretty nice during a competitive anything).

edit: third, before I just mostly relaxed and had fun and didn't even think about winning/losing/anything
vvv vvv vvv

Ligur fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 24, 2011

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boWTiuQTFNw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I love how in MMA, every type of move is valid again these days.

^^^
was it your first fight? Adrenaline dump can be terrible. And maybe you felt like going 5 more rounds, but could you, at the pace the other guy was seting?

(Cardio loving sucks; Im starting my extra cardio circuits on monday for January's fighs/tournaments)

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ligur posted:

On another subject regarding warming up for a fight :haw: During my last fight I was out of breath and feeling tired during the second round, never recovered and lost. After it was all over I felt like going for 5 more rounds which pissed me off even more because I knew I could've gone on and on given some time to get over the hill. My pacing sucks, right, but should I work more before a bout?

What was the round scheme? Pacing is a lot different depending on how the rounds are organized and what your strategy overall is. I have no idea outside of reading about pacing for longer events, though.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Ligur posted:

Warm Up and gassing stuff

To me it sounds like it could be two things. Both are pretty big shots in the dark being over the internet and all.

Do you think you could have freaked out a little in there and not noticed? Being way to tense can suck your energy. If your shoulders/rib cage/back muscles are over acting you can put yourself in a hypoxic state that would go away pretty drat quick once you relaxed. Try to watch the fight on tape and see if you are moving around like Mister Roboto out there.

Second, how well did you warm up? If you had a real average warm up for a fight you could have spent the first round getting warm and being outpaced leaving you in the hole come the second. Hell, more likely you could have been into the second by the time you got truly "warm" and a lot of times people feel like poo poo right after a warm up but can perform real well in comp.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Fontoyn posted:

What was the round scheme? Pacing is a lot different depending on how the rounds are organized and what your strategy overall is. I have no idea outside of reading about pacing for longer events, though.

Strictly amateur 3 rounds

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

To me it sounds like it could be two things. Both are pretty big shots in the dark being over the internet and all.

Do you think you could have freaked out a little in there and not noticed? Being way to tense can suck your energy. If your shoulders/rib cage/back muscles are over acting you can put yourself in a hypoxic state that would go away pretty drat quick once you relaxed. Try to watch the fight on tape and see if you are moving around like Mister Roboto out there.

I actually had a tape, if you didn't know you could not tell but during the first round I was connecting, the third I was just moving my limbs "that way" because I was somewhat tired and the last *snap* was missing. Looked more or less the same but I know I didn't connect with anything and got kicked in the legs all day because I wasn't countering anymore - not that it hurt because assaut but anyway scoring is still scoring.

quote:

Second, how well did you warm up? If you had a real average warm up for a fight you could have spent the first round getting warm and being outpaced leaving you in the hole come the second. Hell, more likely you could have been into the second by the time you got truly "warm" and a lot of times people feel like poo poo right after a warm up but can perform real well in comp.

Hardly warmed up at all :( Though I tried, but somehow it was wasn't there. This was what I was thinking, I got into moving, sweating and stuff during the first round which felt great but was "climbing up the hill" during the second and still catching up in the third. Which meant I ate kicks which is fine, but didn't have the energy and speed to counter after, which isn't fine. If I had already climbed the hill and got over...

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

I trained with a guy who used to do Kenpo. He had some mats above his garage and I'd drive out there 2x a week to get my rear end kicked. He started training it back in the 80's and said it was pretty much kickboxing with some extra dirty striking and self defense aspects. Thats pretty much what he taught me: basic jab/cross/hook stuff, a little kicking and some standing elbow self defense striking.

When I was about to move, I asked him if I should look into it and he said that he felt like it had gone soft and pretty useless in the last few decade and that finding a real school would be too hard for it to be worthwhile. Kenpo is also a really loose term that can mean lovely strip mall karate 15 year old black belt or Chuck Liddell.

This particular dojo is set up by this dude named Bryan Hawkins. Anybody know the rep on this guy?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
My brother did something kind of cool at the last competition we went to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OR1gLSnMog&t=100s

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mr Interweb posted:

This particular dojo is set up by this dude named Bryan Hawkins. Anybody know the rep on this guy?

do you have a website we can look at? Also, check the OP for the link to bullshido's review section, if he's there you can generally trust their opinions.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

henkman posted:

My brother did something kind of cool at the last competition we went to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OR1gLSnMog&t=100s

Your brother is fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

do you have a website we can look at? Also, check the OP for the link to bullshido's review section, if he's there you can generally trust their opinions.

http://www.uks-kenpo.com/

I guess there's that.

• Locked thread